WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Anyone watch Better Call Saul? (spoilers)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone watch Better Call Saul? (spoilers)
Robot Monster
Member # 41971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robot Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's definitely a slow burn, and I'm in it more for Mike than Jimmy/Saul. But their angles are about to converge again, and the most recent episode had the Gus return that I had been waiting for this whole time. So business seems to be picking up.

I like having the show on but I don't always feel the need to catch every last detail like I had for Breaking Bad. It's a much slower and quieter show than BB and that seems to have lost some people.

IP: Logged
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike will go down as one of the greatest TV characters of all time.

--------------------
"Okay fun is fun but enough is enough, and so on. We do not need half the front page beening Tocus threads. The old ones have been kicked over to the Markley forum...otherwise the whole gimmick can go over there." --Crimson Mask, 3/18/11

Robot Monster
Member # 41971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robot Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely, he's the main event draw for me. The Jimmy stuff will have a payoff later but they're taking their time with him.
stumpy from NS
Member # 12249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stumpy from NS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the show and have no issue with the slower pace to show the development of the characters. I also like that Mike gets plenty of screen time. Great character, perfectly played.
Gov't Mule
Member # 2440

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gov't Mule     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw Jonathan Banks (Mike) in Gremlins the other day and it blew me away how different he looked.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's crazy how long he's been around and how he got that "role of a lifetime" much later in life than a lot of actors.

--------------------
"Okay fun is fun but enough is enough, and so on. We do not need half the front page beening Tocus threads. The old ones have been kicked over to the Markley forum...otherwise the whole gimmick can go over there." --Crimson Mask, 3/18/11

Blue Thunder
Member # 4504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Thunder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robot Monster:
It's definitely a slow burn, and I'm in it more for Mike than Jimmy/Saul. But their angles are about to converge again, and the most recent episode had the Gus return that I had been waiting for this whole time. So business seems to be picking up.

I like having the show on but I don't always feel the need to catch every last detail like I had for Breaking Bad. It's a much slower and quieter show than BB and that seems to have lost some people.

Spot on with everything. I'm wondering how many viewers they've lost with their slow pace. I honestly believe that people today, because of social media and other gadgets, have a shorter attention span.

Yeah, as was already mentioned, Grumpy Mike is truly one of the best TV characters.

Blue Thunder
Member # 4504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Thunder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gov't Mule:
Saw Jonathan Banks (Mike) in Gremlins the other day and it blew me away how different he looked.

Do you remember him in 48 hours and Beverly Hills Cop?
Gov't Mule
Member # 2440

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gov't Mule     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Thunder:
quote:
Originally posted by Gov't Mule:

Do you remember him in 48 hours and Beverly Hills Cop?
Nope. It's been so long since I've seen those flicks I didn't even know he was in them until I skimmed his credit list the other day. The only thing I recalled him from was Wiseguy.
Daddy Dewdrop
Member # 3960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daddy Dewdrop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great show! Even though we already know most of the characters fates, it's still engrossing. Says a lot for the writing and acting.

[ 04-19-2017, 08:31 AM: Message edited by: Daddy Dewdrop ]

Big Daddy Meatybone
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Daddy Meatybone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't watched but is season 2 on Netflix or Hulu yet?

--------------------
~BIG DADDY MEATYBONE
_ _ _ _ _____ _ _ _ _

"If people fall asleep in front of the TV, it still counts as a rating point" ~ Dave Meltzer, 2009

"A draw is like kissing your sister" ~ Larry Nelson, 1987

John Williamson
Member # 127199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Williamson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's all on Netflix.

One of the best shows around, I thought it came into it's own in season 2 and now season 3 has started brilliantly. The dialogue free scenes with Mike are incredible.

I had my reservations about this show before it came out but they could get a few more seasons easily.

Slow, but never boring.

bmack71
Member # 120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bmack71     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great show!!!!! Love it! Mike's character is flawless in it's portrayal of his emotions / non-emotions. Jimmy's brother (the OCD laywer) is someone I have literally grown to hate. They keep pacifying his crazy a**!! But it will come to a head I'm sure. Vince Gilligan is a brilliant creator.
Larry
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daddy Dewdrop:
Great show! Even though we already know most of the characters fates, it's still engrossing. Says a lot for the writing and acting.

How do "we" know most of the characters fates? And no spoilers about what you might know will happen. I've never watch Breaking Bad so if the characters here are later in that series and their fates revealed, please don't tell me here.

--------------------
First they broke the mold...then they made me!

stumpy from NS
Member # 12249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stumpy from NS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Larry:
quote:

How do "we" know most of the characters fates? And no spoilers about what you might know will happen. I've never watch Breaking Bad so if the characters here are later in that series and their fates revealed, please don't tell me here.
I think that if you are a Breaking Bad fan, it helps you have an appreciation for the development of the characters and their origin stories, but it is not necessary to watch Breaking Bad before watching this show. It is great on its own and even someone new to the characters can really enjoy it and maybe have a different perspective than those of us that watched Breaking Bad.
Someone from Rwanda
Member # 22010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Someone from Rwanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of all the bad things Walt did in Breaking Bad, killing Mike, especially over something so petty, was his most unforgivable action.
Gov't Mule
Member # 2440

Cmon man Larry just said he hadn't seen Breaking Bad lol
Rock-Hunter Kurt Austin from CHI
Member # 6360

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rock-Hunter Kurt Austin from CHI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Dude, go watch Breaking Bad immediately.
Robot Monster
Member # 41971

quote:
quote:

Well Larry, if you haven't seen the past few posts, don't. I find it interesting that someone's watching Better Call Saul without knowing what happens in Breaking Bad. Must be a different experience without BCS having the "prequel" quality of the known future casting a shadow over everything. So yeah, don't read above this post if you haven't already, because someone had to ruin it.
Robot Monster
Member # 41971

btw - thanks everyone who referred to Jonathan Banks's acting history, it hadn't occurred to me that he was so well-traveled. Haven't watched Gremlins or Beverly Hills Cop since the 1980s but I'm going to check them out now.
HEN from MS
Member # 3801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HEN from MS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rock-Hunter Kurt Austin from CHI:
quote:
quote:

Dude, go watch Breaking Bad immediately.
I'd say, no, don't go watch Breaking Bad immediately. How awesome would it be to be able to watch this show and then follow it up with Breaking Bad cold? If possible, I'd say finish out this series then binge Breaking Bad.

--------------------
"Yip!" -- Jumpin' Jeff Farmer

Daddy Dewdrop
Member # 3960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daddy Dewdrop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just assumed everybody that watches BCS already watched BB...guess not!
Larry
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have absolutely *NO* interest in watching Breaking Bad. I've watched all of Better Call Saul and enjoy it based on it's own merits.

I have had a few people tell me I need to see BB because there are subtle (and maybe not so subtle) references to BB in BCS, but I'm not going to go watch however many seasons of BB just to possibly pick up on some small references in a show I enjoy on it's own.

Carry on.....

--------------------
First they broke the mold...then they made me!

Daddy Dewdrop
Member # 3960

quote:
I have absolutely *NO* interest in watching Breaking Bad. I've watched all of Better Call Saul and enjoy it based on it's own merits.

Just curious as to why no interest in BB?
Rock-Hunter Kurt Austin from CHI
Member # 6360

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rock-Hunter Kurt Austin from CHI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I have had a few people tell me I need to see BB because there are subtle (and maybe not so subtle) references to BB in BCS, but I'm not going to go watch however many seasons of BB just to possibly pick up on some small references in a show I enjoy on it's own.

Carry on.....

Is this a rib?
REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for REO Speeddealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This week's Better Call Saul "Sabrosito" episode was the Breaking Baddiest of the episodes so far.
John Williamson
Member # 127199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Williamson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Larry, all I can say is that you're in a fairly unique position of watching this before Breaking Bad. I've thought about it and the show can easily be enjoyed without seeing Breaking Bad. There are lovely little nods here and there to BB but it's not essential to understanding what's going on.

By the way, Breaking Bad is a good, if not better than Saul. Hard to say while Saul is still ongoing.

There's 5 seasons of Breaking Bad. There's 3 so far of Saul, and I think they can do at least 1, if not 2 more (though it's getting places this season so maybe only1 more), so there's not going to be a huge amount in the difference in terms of episodes. I can only recommend BB, one of the best shows I've seen. It's a testament to Better Call Saul that they have been able to successfully follow up BB.

SpiderGuard
Member # 6369

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SpiderGuard         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Someone from Rwanda:
Of all the bad things Walt did in Breaking Bad, killing Mike, especially over something so petty, was his most unforgivable action.

You should tag this as a spoiler.
starrcade76
Member # 4207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for starrcade76     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My viewing of Breaking Bad was minimal, but I have been watching Better Call Saul since the beginning. I've always been a big fan of Bob Odenkirk, so with him in the staring role I got into this from the start.

Certainly one doesn't need to have been a Breaking Bad devote to enjoy this show. To me, the Breaking Bad character debuts or cameos all make sense. It doesn't feel like they are trying to fit some old/new person into a situation just for the "pop."

I can see where this would be a great show to watch on Netflix or Amazon Prime. Being able to watch a season in a quicker fashion.

It will be interesting to see how close they take this up to Saul meeting Walter White. If the direction is more about it being a Breaking Bad prequel, that would probably be the place to end with, as the final impression.

But if they have made it more about Jimmy/Saul/Gene, the final payoff may be in the post Breaking Bad time-frame. Perhaps with Gene taking stock for the past years with whomever is left in his life from back then. Or maybe reverting back into being Jimmy or Saul.

The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's heating up

--------------------
"It's Gerry, and Mike Graham is the correct answer." — CWF Fan on a 07-14-2017 thread, debating Mike Graham & Jerry Brisco

Someone from Rwanda
Member # 22010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Someone from Rwanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder how many times Hector pissed in Eladio's pool over the years?

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations