WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Runs That Were Unfortunately Cut Short (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Runs That Were Unfortunately Cut Short
18 Guys Named Ramirez
Member # 5323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 18 Guys Named Ramirez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm watching 1980 Georgia Championship Wrestling and following the feud between Austin Idol and Kevin Sullivan which, as most know, morphed into a tenuous team and the legendary "Four Flat Tires" angle. Watching the episodes in chronological order, they were a great team and heavily featured....until one week they weren't. Sullivan turned heel and got demoted to a Junior Heavyweight program against Steve Keirn, Idol was just gone, and the lead babyfaces were now Robert Fuller and Plowboy Frazier, who were a sharp drop-off to say the least. This sudden shift made me think about runs that were ingloriously cut short that we wished would've continued.

I'm sure you guys can come up with some great examples and I'm looking forward to hearing them

--------------------
"Look here, If you don't get your *** to work, I got 18 guys named Ramirez that want your job.." Contractor resurfacing my driveway to an argumentative employee. (He got back to work.)

IP: Logged
the bear
Member # 1565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Barry Windham's Widowmaker run
Danny Spivey as Wayland Mercy

--------------------
Check out my Wrestling collection - Now over 14000 DVD's
http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee/

The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Abdullah the Butcher-Mark Lewin feud (Georgia)

Magnum. T.A.-Jimmy Garvin (JCP)

Dusty and the pictures from Baby Doll (JCP)

--------------------
"It's Gerry, and Mike Graham is the correct answer." — CWF Fan on a 07-14-2017 thread, debating Mike Graham & Jerry Brisco

Stephen Gennarelli
Member # 21747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Gennarelli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Matt Borne as Doink for a legitimate run
rather than the cup of coffee he had.

Would have been interesting to see if
Art Barr would have become a mainstream
star as the Juicer in WCW...

JW Storm would have been a WCW star had
he been given the time and seasoning.

Gov't Mule
Member # 2440

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gov't Mule     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Jackal as a manager in late-90's WWF. So much more they could have done with that character.
Herd72
Member # 107695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Herd72     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me two that stick out are the Waylon Mercy angle ( know what I mean) and The New Breed tag team ( from the future when Dusty Rhodes is president.)
REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for REO Speeddealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Midnight Express vs. the Four Horsemen in 1988
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The New Breed.

--------------------
"Okay fun is fun but enough is enough, and so on. We do not need half the front page beening Tocus threads. The old ones have been kicked over to the Markley forum...otherwise the whole gimmick can go over there." --Crimson Mask, 3/18/11

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pillman & Austin as The Hollywood Blondes.

--------------------
"Okay fun is fun but enough is enough, and so on. We do not need half the front page beening Tocus threads. The old ones have been kicked over to the Markley forum...otherwise the whole gimmick can go over there." --Crimson Mask, 3/18/11

Gabriel Kinson
Member # 127007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabriel Kinson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve Keirn and Bobby Eaton as Bad Attitude
Gov't Mule
Member # 2440

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gov't Mule     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How long was The Dangerous Alliance together in WCW? A year? Seems like there was another year or so of legs to that stable.
A Gene Wilder Somersault
Member # 128207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Gene Wilder Somersault     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flair as a babyface in 94. They turned him heel for obvious reasons but I always enjoyed this face run and wished it went on longer, especially with how he was buried the next couple of years by Hogan and Savage.
Gov't Mule
Member # 2440

quote:
Originally posted by A Gene Wilder Somersault:
Flair as a babyface in 94. They turned him heel for obvious reasons but I always enjoyed this face run and wished it went on longer, especially with how he was buried the next couple of years by Hogan and Savage.

Agreed. Flair could have been great as a face other times in his career as well, but resisted it.
18 Guys Named Ramirez
Member # 5323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 18 Guys Named Ramirez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some good ones already.

I was thinking about runs cut short by booking changes when I posted, as Idol moved on when Fuller took over the book in late 1980.

The Hollywood Blondes are a perfect example and I forgot all about them.

I also think the Ron Starr-Ronnie Garvin feud being cut off by Dusty and Crockett was a bad decision. The Starr and Bob Roop alliance was a good one.

--------------------
"Look here, If you don't get your *** to work, I got 18 guys named Ramirez that want your job.." Contractor resurfacing my driveway to an argumentative employee. (He got back to work.)

Handsome Rob from LA
Member # 6317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Handsome Rob from LA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the bear:
Barry Windham's Widowmaker run
Danny Spivey as Wayland Mercy

I still love The Widowmaker as a nickname. Can't believe it hasn't been used again by anyone since.

--------------------
"Yeah I found the love of my life. But I killed her dog before I had the chance to tell her." Sam Elliott from the movie Shakedown

tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamalie from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gabriel Kinson:
Steve Keirn and Bobby Eaton as Bad Attitude

They were a decent team that was short lived, but they were strictly undercard guys who didn't get pushed. I'm not sure if that fits the spirit of this thread.

The original version of the Chain Gang which worked the WWA out of Indianapolis plus Chicago and was branching into AWA cities in mid 1969 got cut off when the team was beaten and shot at after being lured to a road house to party by some real Hell's Angels who didn't take kindly to the duo calling themselves such. Frank Mack (Frank Dillinger) took a bullet in the leg and either lost it or it was left non to semi functional. Either way, his career was over. Don Fargo (Jack Dillinger) jumped off a bridge into a river to escape. That stopped one of the hottest teams in the business cold. Fargo reformed the team afterwards with Chris Colt (Jim Dillinger), but it wasn't the same and they morphed the gimmick into heel hippies to avoid any further biker gang incidents.

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

I think Bad Attitude lasted just long enough. Loved both those guys but it was just a painful reminder that the Fabs and Midnight Express days were long gone.

--------------------

Greg Ganja
Member # 1677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg Ganja     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know if they had matches but it looked like the Midnight Express would have a big program against Dusty. Cornette and Dusty did some awesome promos against each other but I don't know if something botched this from happening or not.

--------------------

I don't like the divorce font!
---
Your old lady's old lady has got skinnier legs!!!
---
And BABY DOLL...shame on you mama...cause I know you better than anyone!

Palmettopig
Member # 50706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Palmettopig     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'll probably disagree with me, but I really thought Lash Lareaux (sp?) should've been given more airtime when Russo first came to WCW. They put him in that Misfits group and it ruined him. But prior to thay I thought he had potential and had a good look

--------------------
Follow on twitter @dixiefriedsport

Stephen Gennarelli
Member # 21747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Gennarelli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The New Breed is a great choice. A couple of folks above mentioned them.
Just thinking about tag teams like the Headbangers, who were in a WWE ring just this past year after being away for over 15 years, makes me wonder why The New Breed wasn't able to make a go of it during the Monday Night Wars or any other time.
Perhaps they couldn't come back from injury or they just found a life away from wrestling. But those guys seemed to have great ability and the "it" factor.

Rob from IA
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob from IA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Jake-Warrior feud that never even made it to a first match.

Desmond Wolfe's TNA run barely got started before his early retirement. He had a big future as a major player in that company. At least it's worked out for him since though.

davephlegmball
Member # 5163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davephlegmball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eddie Gilbert in ECW (heck--Eddie Gilbert everywhere). I really wanted to see what was going to become of the hinted tension between Eddie and Paul E over the name of their faction (was it "Hot Stuff International" or was it "the Dangerous Alliance?"). Whenever it was brought up by Jay Sulli or Tod Gordon, the heels, no matter who, would skirt their way around answering or just blatantly change the subject. Also wanted more of the tension between the tag team of Eddie and the Dark Patriot (who won the tag-titles) and how that would play out.

Matt Morgan was one of the few highlights for me in TNA. I liked when he held the tag belts by himself. Wonder what ever happened to him.

Beautiful Bobby (Harmon) in the WWWF--was a long time ago, but if i'm not mistaken, he wasn't there long. He was the 1st guy i ever saw with entrance music, and--since my best friend hated the guy--I loved to sing the song around him to bust his chops.

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:
Originally posted by davephlegmball:

Matt Morgan was one of the few highlights for me in TNA. I liked when he held the tag belts by himself. Wonder what ever happened to him.

He's back there now. And one guy holding the tag title is dumber than a home made life support machine.

--------------------

sam the lion from WA
Member # 1154

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sam the lion from WA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Muhamad Hassan

--------------------
The magic, that is on those tapes, you don't own THAT!!

Reid Rothchild

mnwrestlingfan
Member # 8303

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mnwrestlingfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about Jerry Blackwells face run in the later 80"s AWA? He was in and out so much that he could never sustain a spot as the top face.
jlaroccapremier
Member # 118762

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlaroccapremier   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JW Storm
Someone mentioned him earlier and I agree. He was big and green, but he had something about that him that made you pay attention to him. He was squashing guys left and right on TV. He was looking good and was impressive. They then book to have Brad Armstrong beat him at Halloween Havoc 90. Totally killed his momentum.

Johnny B Badd's heel run
When they turned JBB babyface four months after his debut, I was shocked. Granted he turned out to be a very popular babyface, but I thought he could have had a good run as a heel first.

York Foundation with Buddy Landell v Tom Zenk and Bobby Eaton feud in early 1991
This was a fun mid-card feud in early 1991. Landell was trying out for the York Foundation teaming with Terry Taylor v Bobby Eaton and Tom Zenk. Actually, I thought York Foundation had a lot of potential, but it was ruined when Ricky Morton and Tommy Rich joined.

The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Ganja:
Don't know if they had matches but it looked like the Midnight Express would have a big program against Dusty. Cornette and Dusty did some awesome promos against each other but I don't know if something botched this from happening or not.

They had a brief feud with him amd Magnum TA being seconded by Baby Doll. I cannot recall how it came to an end.

--------------------
"It's Gerry, and Mike Graham is the correct answer." — CWF Fan on a 07-14-2017 thread, debating Mike Graham & Jerry Brisco

pitbullsfan
Member # 115351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pitbullsfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also liked the New Breed- great promos.
In the AWA, The Iron Shiek and Cecil Dubois tag team- thought they could have been great against the High Flyers.

Lucky Starr
Member # 1807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky Starr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Hogan vs Flair fued never made it to WrestleMania XIII.

How about the Invasion angle& Although it had more to do with the lack of major WCW talent than booking changes.

Seth Rollins' turn on The Shield happened one year too early IMO.

--------------------
The STATION CLUB 80 Radio Show - playing all the music genres from the 80s every 3rd Saturday of the month
Official FB page: https://www.facebook.com/stationclub80/

18 Guys Named Ramirez
Member # 5323

quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Gennarelli:
The New Breed is a great choice. A couple of folks above mentioned them.
Just thinking about tag teams like the Headbangers, who were in a WWE ring just this past year after being away for over 15 years, makes me wonder why The New Breed wasn't able to make a go of it during the Monday Night Wars or any other time.
Perhaps they couldn't come back from injury or they just found a life away from wrestling. But those guys seemed to have great ability and the "it" factor.

Steven, spent about a year trying to decipher the mystery that was The New Breed. Root of things was that Sean and Chris, while having great onscreen chemistry, didn't get along well in real life. Sean blamed him for the car accident and for declining insurance that caused the married Royal major medical bills and problems at home. Champion also caused other problems and helped abort the MX feud by doing goofy stuff in the ring that infuriated Cornette and then no-showed the Thanksgiving 87' show in N.O where they were starting a new feud as baby with the Sheepherders sticking him in a meaningless singles undercard match. Royal cashed in $5000 in plane ticket vouchers and went home to Tampa and didn't talk to Champion for 13 years.

--------------------

18 Guys Named Ramirez
Member # 5323

Eddie Gilbert's run in Alabama was just heating up when he got fired by David Woods and the whole promotion went south quick.

The promotion might have had years of momentum if Eddie had stayed on as lead heel and booker.

--------------------

Frozen
Member # 10689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frozen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jack and Jerry Brisco in the WWF.

--------------------
"I was the first wrestler to come to the ring with music."

vitaminpurple
Member # 63626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vitaminpurple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Mike Awesome/Rob Van Dam feud that started at an January 2000 ECW Arena show quickly fizzled when Van Dam was soon injured and Mike Awesome then left for WCW.
Future Endeavor
Member # 1470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future Endeavor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UWF gone in 1987. I enjoyed them more than NWA and WWF combined!

Doom as tag champs.
Both Sting's and Warrior's world title reign
Kerry von Erich's IC reign
LOD vs. Demolition
Flair vs. Hogan in 1991

Also, this one connects to one theme. ECW invades Raw a few times in 1997, ugh! Furnas and LaFon was supposed to be Cornette's new team (new Midnights?), but Sid crashed the rental car and they got injured. The Hart Foundation's entire 1997 run especially Brian Pillman dying and then Bret's dramatic departure. Speaking of Survivor Series, I was disappointed that Los Borricuas, DOA, and Nation of Domination didn't face each other since they had 4 members each! WCW was beating them bad. What a waste of talent. WWF 20 years ago was like on life support. But it was amazing with 1998 being a turnaround year, the beginning of the end for their competitors.

Then, there was the use of different WWF belts for Hulk. The best one was silver eagle belt that was like the TV belt because it was all on the posters I had. I was happy when Mr. Perfect and the Genius smashed the other eagle belt because I was hoping for a new looking belt.

--------------------
You can take the Hockey out of Canada, but you can't take the Canadian out of Hockey.

http://www.facebook.com/thevoiceofyourchoice

the bear
Member # 1565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
quote:

He's back there now. And one guy holding the tag title is dumber than a home made life support machine.
Is it any dumber than 3 holding them?

--------------------
Check out my Wrestling collection - Now over 14000 DVD's
http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee/

Gov't Mule
Member # 2440

quote:
Originally posted by the bear:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
quote:

Is it any dumber than 3 holding them?
Well yeah, probably. At least New Day/Freebirds could put 2 guys in the ring for their matches...
Andy from NY
Member # 7701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andy from NY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buddy Landel in WWF, December, 1995. How far might he have gone (or how long would he have lasted) had he not gotten hurt on his second night in?
Steve Berberovic
Member # 7569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Berberovic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Los Gringos Locos. Art's untimely demise curtailed a tag team that was just getting started.
davephlegmball
Member # 5163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davephlegmball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Future Endeavor:
UWF gone in 1987. I enjoyed them more than NWA and WWF combined!

Best answer yet.
WahooFan
Member # 2026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WahooFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the time, I don't think anyone was hotter than Magnum when he had the wreck. So, to me, his run was cut way short.
I'm sure he would have ended up with the belt, so I've always wondered how he would have fared as the champ. I just don't know how he would have done when, as the champ, he would have had to play the heel.

--------------------
Arnold Palmer: "Gary Player eats bacon when no one's watching."

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations