WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Question about WWF working with USWA/SMW.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question about WWF working with USWA/SMW.
jws84
Member # 21839

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jws84     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey all,

This popped in my mind listening to some of Bruce Prichard's podcast about The Undertaker. In the mid 90s, we all know WWF sparked a working relationship with the USWA and SMW. My question is, did the WWF run shows in the this area during that time on their own?? Or, were all shows made out to be "Co-promoted" to give the smaller territory the rub? The show they mentioned on the podcast was Co-Promoted, but was really all WWF with just Lawler in a key spot.

I guess this would be both key towns, and any of the territories really. Meaning both Memphis and Louisville, or Knoxville and Johnson City. Obviously the relationship helped USWA and smw, but direct opposition would really hurt.

IP: Logged
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They did run shows there. In fact, the USWA co-promotion began with Jeff Jarrett hopping the guard rail at a WWF house show in Memphis.
jws84
Member # 21839

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jws84     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's true. I guess my question is did they run any shows on their own after the relationship began. Or were all "co- promoted", in a sense giving the smaller group a piece.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty sure nothing really changed. They still went in.
hate sports entertainment
Member # 126344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hate sports entertainment     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When Vince showed up in 93 in Memphis...talk about heat?! The first on tv hints of the "MR MCMAHON" character. It was good stuff, at least the stuff I saw.
FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FantasyWrestlerDrew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a Vince promo on youtube of him wearing the USWA Unified World Title and he cuts probably my favorite promo of his ever. It is not the over the top Mr. McMahon but still just so, perfect. I think Tatanka won the title officially but this promo, was fantastic.
Dan P-170
Member # 32

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P-170     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The one where he mispronounces the word svelte as "slevit"'.

And you have to think there was some satisfaction in Vince wearing that belt because it used to be symbolic of Verne's AWA title. I imagine it was another one of his conquering moments to boost his ego.

Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Armageddon_T_Thunderbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hated the whole thing. The USWA wasn't in that great of shape by then and was hard enough to watch as it was. Then you add the WWF "superstar" of the week coming in to win the belt over and over and it didn't make the USWA look a bit better, made it look fourth rate to me.

Prichard mentioned that one card held in the Louisville Gardens drew 3000, which was about double what the USWA was drawing at the time. That may be true, but the Gardens holds around 6000, so even with all those superstars, it was still a half empty building.

Some of it was interesting. McMahon being the high and mighty jackass looking down on the small promotion. Savage coming back for a short time (too bad it was the WWF version instead of the old Macho Man). I think Jimmy Hart came back for a show or two.

It may have given the USWA a small shot in the arm, and maybe helped it limp a few more years to the finish line, but it wasn't the most magnificent thing to ever happen to Memphis Wrestling.

--------------------
Your uncrowned NWA Heavyweight Champion of the World.

Now on the twitter machine - @Armageddon_t

jws84
Member # 21839

I agree with it making it seem even further behind. I remember very late in the promotion, when they pushed fake Razor and Diesel. Even as a kid, it made it seem like it was taking their titles and status a step down.
REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for REO Speeddealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know that the WWF ran any SMW towns anyway, even before Cornette set up shop. Maybe Knoxville every now and then.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations