WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Biggest stains on the business (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Biggest stains on the business
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curt Injurker:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Wheezie Jefferson:

I think people over-sell the whole "Vince took things in the right direction" nonsense. He drove away way more fans than he created and just because what he turned the biz into worked for him, doesn't mean that a hard turn in the opposite direction wouldn't have worked for someone else.

Given the way other forms of barnstorming entertainment lost market share with the advent of tv and, then, cable, I just don't think it's fair to characterize what he did as "driving away fans." Maybe I had Adam Smith economic principles drilled in to me too much in school, but I have to believe the resulting product was what the shrinking (whether Vince acted or not) market would bear, and he actually maintained a greater amount of a dwindling audience than other forms of entertainment that parallel wrestling (circus, carnival, horse racing, etc).

That just sounds like you're holding a glass half full instead of having empty. Fact is, there were a ton of fans who loved "the NWA" but wouldn't watch the WWF if you stuck a gun to their heads. And a ton of those folk remained loyal to WCW through the Monday Night Wars (despite how many "town-killing stunts" Bischoff, Russo, and company pulled). Vince's takeover was the final "town killer" for a lot of people.

They didn't just all die. They weren't raptured. They gave up and went away. Or gravitated to UFC. But they were as hardcore (probably more hardcore) than the WWF ice cream bar audience and Vince took them out of the mix in short order.

IP: Logged
jjmike
Member # 3833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jjmike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the bear:
Is it possible to stain a business who's fans consider booking bad angles and refusing to lose a pretend fight to be worse than f-----g a kid??? [Big Grin]

You are forgetting the "But he put on such great matches..." disclaimer fans have during these arguments [Wink] Whoever is considered the top wrestler in Japan at any given time could be f-----g a kid right on camera in the ring and they would be forgiven easier and more quickly by the smarks than if the Warlord had put on a bad match against Virgil in 1991.
Grobbit
Member # 80932

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grobbit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ogilvie:
quote:
Originally posted by Kilroy:
soooo, your list of "Stains on the business" is just mostly a list of guys you don't care for? Because that's what your list is..

Welcome to understanding Grobbit.
You obviously missed the bit about it being my opinion, show me where I said the list was factual? Opinion when stated as opinion if fine, but when stated as fact... I did the former.

--------------------
"If I hit him with the left hand and he's still standing, I will walk around him to see whats holding him up." - Harley Race

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations