WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Swearing in the ring

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Swearing in the ring
Grobbit
Member # 80932

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grobbit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just watching Flair vs Vader from Starrcade 93. Vader gives Flair a clothesline off the middle rope that hits him in the mouth and busts his lip. Flair was clearly hurt and annoyed as he grabs his mouth then says 'Oh you F....' He managed to stop himself and didn't swear.

But it had me thinking, who was known for not being so TV-friendly with their language inside the ring?

First name that springs to mind is Billy Robinson, he used to emit a lot of crude language, but I expect that from someone from the north of England, it's just how we talk up here [Wink]

Who else have people noted for in-ring swearing over the years?

--------------------
"If I hit him with the left hand and he's still standing, I will walk around him to see whats holding him up." - Harley Race

IP: Logged
Grobbit
Member # 80932

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grobbit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Vader clothesline and Flair busted mouth is at 13:45-13:55

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhM33AHOO1w

BTW, If you haven't seen it, watch the whole match, it's probably the last great match Flair had before beginning his long downward spiral.

--------------------
"If I hit him with the left hand and he's still standing, I will walk around him to see whats holding him up." - Harley Race

Gov't Mule
Member # 2440

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gov't Mule     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The question triggers me to wonder how many international wrestlers would swear openly in their native language with no one the wiser.
Grobbit
Member # 80932

quote:
Originally posted by Gov't Mule:
The question triggers me to wonder how many international wrestlers would swear openly in their native language with no one the wiser.

Good point. I did notice that Keiji Mutoh used to swear a lot in English while working in Japan, mostly the F word as a single expletive.

--------------------

Rock-Hunter Kurt Austin from CHI
Member # 6360

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rock-Hunter Kurt Austin from CHI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Perfect Curt Hennig vs the British Bulldog on one of those Coliseum home video compilation tapes. BB gets Mr P in an arm wringer and Mr. P screams "SON OF A BAAAAACH" at the top of his lungs. Not sure it was a recurring thing with him.
Dan P-170
Member # 32

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P-170     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rick Rude used to swear quite a bit during his matches. At Clash 17 against Sting the camera's right on him as he's climbing the turnbuckles and catches him saying "Get up, ya son of a *****!
davephlegmball
Member # 5163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davephlegmball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adds realism if done properly (and sometimes when not done properly).
A Gene Wilder Somersault
Member # 128207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Gene Wilder Somersault     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At Wrestlemania 6 when Heenan gets in Andre's face after they lost the tag titles to Demolition, Heenan repeatedly yelled "I'm the f*cking boss!!". It picks up fairly clearly on the tape.
habsfan87 from NL
Member # 8038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for habsfan87 from NL         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember Bret mouthing the F-word after being pinned by Dibiase at Survivor Series '90.
REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for REO Speeddealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Larry Zbyszko during his AWA matches on ESPN.
Vulture
Member # 10205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vulture     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by davephlegmball:
Adds realism if done properly (and sometimes when not done properly).

Agreed. Because it gives a sense of "they must be really angry at eachother if they are saying mean words that they don't want us to hear."

Ultimate Warrior vs Macho Man at WM7- he's (UW) coming after Sherri at one point and goes "Come here you b!tch!"

FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FantasyWrestlerDrew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kevin Kelly jokes that during Wrestle Kindom this past January that during the tag title match they broke the international swearing record. Juice Robinson is notable for dropping a ton of F bombs during his NJ matches.
Rob from IA
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob from IA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flair and Goldust are the two worst I've heard. And it was around the 2002-03 era where I picked up on it, so it may have just been how close the microphones were at that particular timeframe for RAWs. Flair says "sh--" all the time, and Dustin would blurt out something almost every match.
Greg Ganja
Member # 1677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg Ganja     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dusty would cuss on a live telecast providing color commentary.

--------------------
Your old lady's old lady has got skinnier legs!!!
---
And BABY DOLL...shame on you mama...cause I know you better than anyone!

Grobbit
Member # 80932

quote:
Originally posted by Greg Ganja:
Dusty would cuss on a live telecast providing color commentary.

Don't remember that but then again, I always tried to zone out Dusty's nonsense as it was just annoying and I couldn't understand half of it. One of the worst colour men ever imho.

--------------------

p-man from MD
Member # 937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for p-man from MD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard Ox Baker call Ronnie Garvin an SOB after getting kicked in the family jewels.
john8
Member # 17520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for john8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was a t a live show as a kid in NJ and Greg Gagne must've used 100 bad words in the course of his match.

I actually thought it made it seem like it was a competitive sporting event and not scripted to be honest.

Athletes curse in the heat of the moment. Why wouldn't wrestlers?

Stephen Gennarelli
Member # 21747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Gennarelli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Piper used to swear a lot during his WWF run.

I think he called Bruno a MF'er when they were killing each other during "Piper's Pit" at MSG.

Lee Wong
Member # 912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lee Wong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chief Jay Strongbow would cuss up a storm on WWWF TV. He saved it mostly for when someone turned on him which of course means he cursed all the time. It was actually kind of shocking considering the times.
Lucky Starr
Member # 1807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky Starr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gov't Mule:

At the 12:20 mark, Jacques Rougeau says a few words in french.

''Yeah, ferme ta gueule estie'' which means ''Yeah, shut the **** up.'' [Smile]

--------------------
The STATION CLUB 80 Radio Show - playing all the music genres from the 80s every 3rd Saturday of the month
Official FB page: https://www.facebook.com/stationclub80/

Stephen Gennarelli
Member # 21747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Gennarelli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, Strongbow called Albano a "Son of a B" on the weekly show in 1976 when the big angle with the Executioners went down.
Sheik Abdullah Flair
Member # 255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheik Abdullah Flair     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From reading Freddie Blassie's book, he would say pretty much anything to ringside fans.
Andy from NY
Member # 7701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andy from NY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ivan Putski called Jesse Ventura a chickensh*t over the house mic at the Philly Spectrum.

Terry Funk was looking for his F'ing branding iron after a match against Dan Spivey in Landover, MD.

And, who can forget Bret Hart's tirade on Raw after losing the cage match to Sid in early '97.

A Gene Wilder Somersault
Member # 128207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Gene Wilder Somersault     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Andy from NY:
Ivan Putski called Jesse Ventura a chickensh*t over the house mic at the Philly Spectrum.

Terry Funk was looking for his F'ing branding iron after a match against Dan Spivey in Landover, MD.

And, who can forget Bret Hart's tirade on Raw after losing the cage match to Sid in early '97.

In his awful barbed wire match with Sabu at the Born to be Wired PPV in 97, Funk says really loudly when they get entangled with the wire, "somebody get my ass back in the ring!"
Gabriel Kinson
Member # 127007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabriel Kinson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"You f***ing horse!! I'll kick your f***ing ass!!"

Ordell
Member # 6033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ordell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John Tenta let go of an unbelievable string of expletives when Koji Kitao shot on him.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations