WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Fabulous Ones in the WWF

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fabulous Ones in the WWF
Corkscrew Elbow
Member # 123008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corkscrew Elbow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why didn't the Fabs ever get a shot in the WWF?
IP: Logged
ponyplayer19
Member # 8537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ponyplayer19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nobody sent Vince that video.
KobashiChop
Member # 78522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KobashiChop         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ponyplayer19:
Nobody sent Vince that video.

Or maybe someone DID send Vince that video.
Happ Hazzard
Member # 4893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Happ Hazzard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unlike some "Southern" teams, I think the Fabs would have got over in the WWF. They could easily have filled Windham and Rotundos spot and had the belts for the year around the first Wrestlemania.
Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Armageddon_T_Thunderbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vince wouldn't have known what to do with the Fabs no better than Verne did. Without Fargo and the whole backstory, Vince would have just made them male strippers or The Gator Brothers or something just as stupid.

I don't think he even bothered to try and copy the gimmick did he?

--------------------
Your uncrowned NWA Heavyweight Champion of the World.

Now on the twitter machine - @Armageddon_t

REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for REO Speeddealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How did Verne do a poor job with the Fabs? They were pushed and feuded with his top heels (Bockwinkel, Saito, Ventura). He wanted to put the tag title on them, but the Road Warriors refused.
Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Armageddon_T_Thunderbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by REO Speeddealer:
How did Verne do a poor job with the Fabs? They were pushed and feuded with his top heels (Bockwinkel, Saito, Ventura). He wanted to put the tag title on them, but the Road Warriors refused.

Well, first there was this...

I guess if you didn't know anything about them before, that may be an ok introduction, but if you knew their history, it made them look goofy.

As far as the feud with the Road Warriors, the fans cheered for them more than the Fabs and a bit later, the Fabs were gone. And honestly, if Verne wanted the Belts on the Fabs, they would have eventually gotten them one way or another.

--------------------

Pillsbury
Member # 43540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pillsbury     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd think they'd have to drop that male stripper look if they were to be babyfaces in a place like Boston.The north east in general would've chewed this act up.As heels I think they would have done real well though.

--------------------
Tom Brady and Bill Belichick have FIVE SUPER BOWL RINGS!!!.......FIVE!!!

The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
They should've sent this pic in.

--------------------
"If I had realized that you people would be so damned stupid as to give the world champion $750,000, I would have made myself the champion." — Ole Anderson, to the executives at WCW and WTBS

mikeyosmond
Member # 128654

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikeyosmond   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Armageddon_T_Thunderbird:
Vince wouldn't have known what to do with the Fabs no better than Verne did. Without Fargo and the whole backstory, Vince would have just made them male strippers or The Gator Brothers or something just as stupid.

This is all the more funnier given that Keirn ended up in WWF later as Skinner.

quote:
Originally posted by The Coach:
 -

*Sputters*
Tatsuya
Member # 80195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tatsuya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Always found it fascinating that Keirn went from a studly type as he was in the Fabulous Ones to playing a disgustin cretin like Skinner. What other wrestlers have done such a 180. I guess Kevin Kelly going from his AWA days to Nailz
Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

quote:
Originally posted by mikeyosmond:
quote:

Yeah, that's why I mentioned the Gator Brothers. Vince seemed to like to take certain people and reverse their gimmick completely. People have said that Skinner was closer to who Keirn really was than the Fabulous One role, but who cares?

On Prichard's podcast about the WWe in Memphis, he mentioned a WWe card that had Papa Shango and Skinner on it and that it didn't draw that well. Who wants to see someone that had great fan support as a slick character based on a local legend, leave then come back as a tobacco slobbering, gator humping swamp person?

--------------------

Pier 6er from NY
Member # 916

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pier 6er from NY   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatsuya:
Always found it fascinating that Keirn went from a studly type as he was in the Fabulous Ones to playing a disgustin cretin like Skinner. What other wrestlers have done such a 180. I guess Kevin Kelly going from his AWA days to Nailz

Jimmy Valiant has to take the cake on this question, going from being the suave clean-shaven Handsome Jimmy Valiant in the early 1970's to morphing into the bearded street person as The Boogie Woogie Man a decade later. Jimmy Golden becoming Bunkhouse Buck is another good example. This sort of transformation makes sense as pretty-boy type wrestlers age (often badly) over their long careers.

On the other hand, I was quite amused when aging wrestlers did tongue-in-cheek parody type gimmicks of their less than studly looks (like "Loverboy" Dennis Condrey of the Midnight Express, and Norvel Austin trying to portray a "Pretty Young Thing" in his underrated tag team with Koko Ware).

[ 04-23-2017, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: Pier 6er from NY ]

--------------------
MMA is the new pro wrestling (and has been for quite awhile).

"A woman's place is where I put 'em"
- The Latin Heartthrob, Al Perez in World Class Championship Wrestling (approx. 6:10 mark):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXOg4eKN79E

PsychoSem
Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PsychoSem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure Keirn was doing the gimmick in Florida as 'Gator' Steve Keirn in the late 80s to some extent and the WWF just amped it up to the next level. Steve had been battling baldness for several years by the time he was Skinner so I don't think the Fabs 'stripper' look was in the cards.

Though he did return to teaming with Stan as heels with Cornette and was quite good.

quote:
quote:
quote:

Yeah, that's why I mentioned the Gator Brothers. Vince seemed to like to take certain people and reverse their gimmick completely. People have said that Skinner was closer to who Keirn really was than the Fabulous One role, but who cares?

On Prichard's podcast about the WWe in Memphis, he mentioned a WWe card that had Papa Shango and Skinner on it and that it didn't draw that well. Who wants to see someone that had great fan support as a slick character based on a local legend, leave then come back as a tobacco slobbering, gator humping swamp person?

--------------------
The future's uncertain and the end is always near...

Pier 6er from NY
Member # 916

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pier 6er from NY   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsychoSem:
I'm pretty sure Keirn was doing the gimmick in Florida as 'Gator' Steve Keirn in the late 80s to some extent and the WWF just amped it up to the next level. Steve had been battling baldness for several years by the time he was Skinner so I don't think the Fabs 'stripper' look was in the cards.

Though he did return to teaming with Stan as heels with Cornette and was quite good.

quote:
quote:
quote:

Steve Keirn's battling baldness was nowhere near as comical as Stan Lane dealing with that same issue during the early days of Smokey Mountain Wrestling:

--------------------
MMA is the new pro wrestling (and has been for quite awhile).

"A woman's place is where I put 'em"
- The Latin Heartthrob, Al Perez in World Class Championship Wrestling (approx. 6:10 mark):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXOg4eKN79E

Dan P-170
Member # 32

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P-170     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Keirn was called "Gator" in Florida Championship Wrestling/PWF when they tried to resurrect the territory after the original office shut down following the Crockett partnership/buyout.

[ 04-23-2017, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: Dan P-170 ]

SLS
Member # 265

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pier 6er from NY:
quote:
Originally posted by Tatsuya:

Jimmy Valiant has to take the cake on this question, going from being the suave clean-shaven Handsome Jimmy Valiant in the early 1970's to morphing into the bearded street person as The Boogie Woogie Man a decade later. Jimmy Golden becoming Bunkhouse Buck is another good example. This sort of transformation makes sense as pretty-boy type wrestlers age (often badly) over their long careers.

On the other hand, I was quite amused when aging wrestlers did tongue-in-cheek parody type gimmicks of their less than studly looks (like "Loverboy" Dennis Condrey of the Midnight Express, and Norvel Austin trying to portray a "Pretty Young Thing" in his underrated tag team with Koko Ware).

Raven fka Scott Anthony, Johnny Polo and Scotty the body
White Fang from WA
Member # 1458

Icon 1 posted      Profile for White Fang from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsychoSem:

I think the balding was secondary to him facially starting to look like a craggy *******, albeit a good looking one.

--------------------
The reason raindances work is because they don't stop dancing until it rains.

tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamalie from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan P-170:
Yes Keirn was called "Gator" in Florida Championship Wrestling/PWF when they tried to resurrect the territory after the original office shut down following the Crockett partnership/buyout.

Steve Keirn took the Gator nickname because he was one of a select few at that time who had an alligator hunting license in Florida. He was clean shaven and had his natural and thinning brown hair while using that gimmick. He also occasionally brought a gator that had been stuffed by a taxidermist to ringside. This was in the 1988-1991 range. In the midst of this, the Fabulous Ones had a final run in Memphis in late 1990 and early 1991 after Stan Lane and Jim Cornette left WCW. Keirn dyed his hair blonde, grew a beard, and put back on the Fabs gear for that stint.
Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

quote:
Originally posted by tamalie from MN:
quote:
Originally posted by Dan P-170:

Steve Keirn took the Gator nickname because he was one of a select few at that time who had an alligator hunting license in Florida. He was clean shaven and had his natural and thinning brown hair while using that gimmick. He also occasionally brought a gator that had been stuffed by a taxidermist to ringside. This was in the 1988-1991 range. In the midst of this, the Fabulous Ones had a final run in Memphis in late 1990 and early 1991 after Stan Lane and Jim Cornette left WCW. Keirn dyed his hair blonde, grew a beard, and put back on the Fabs gear for that stint.
Keirn cleaned up pretty good during the 91 run. They still looked like the Fabulous Ones.

But, they also came back in 99. The best thing I can say about this, is that Stacy looked damn Fabulous!!

--------------------

Rock-Hunter Kurt Austin from CHI
Member # 6360

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rock-Hunter Kurt Austin from CHI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
 -

Why would they send that pic in......

When they could have sent this pic in?
 -

Greg Ganja
Member # 1677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg Ganja     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rock-Hunter Kurt Austin from CHI:
quote:
 -

Why would they send that pic in......

When they could have sent this pic in?
 -

Damn this is some sexy ish!

--------------------
Your old lady's old lady has got skinnier legs!!!
---
And BABY DOLL...shame on you mama...cause I know you better than anyone!

Claymation Quartermain
Member # 6083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claymation Quartermain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think when Keirn started going bald he ceased to be pretty boy fabulous. Stan had the same problem but got hair restoration. So he was still fabulous for a while longer though in a heel sort of fabulous way.

Their pics and promos were definitely Honcho Magazine material.

--------------------
"Old Time Hockey?"

Daddy Dewdrop
Member # 3960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daddy Dewdrop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Dewey Robertson becoming the Missing Link takes the cake as far as character transformations go.
brawler2711
Member # 26849

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brawler2711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back to the question.

They were not giants on steroids.

--------------------
"I'll be with 20 in-laws...hhhmmm..we'll see. But, 7 of the 20 are my nieces (in their early to mid 20's), so I'll enjoy seeing a few of them at the pool, and on the beach.At least the "scenery" should be enjoyable. [Smile]"
Sir Tojo

Gov't Mule
Member # 2440

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gov't Mule     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by brawler2711:
Back to the question.

Neither were the Rockers, Rougeaus, Killer B's, Strike Force, etc...
Pillsbury
Member # 43540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pillsbury     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gov't Mule:
quote:
Originally posted by brawler2711:
Back to the question.

Neither were the Rockers, Rougeaus, Killer B's, Strike Force, etc...
Well,they weren't Giants but I wouldn't say they weren't on steroids.

--------------------

Gov't Mule
Member # 2440

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gov't Mule     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Point was they're essentially the same body types as the Fabs. Wouldn't take much to get them on the same "training regimen" if they wanted to do it. I'd discount that as a reason why they weren't bought in.
Pillsbury
Member # 43540

No,I agree,I was just saying.....I think the reason they never came in is evident in a few pics on this thread.That act is not getting over in the Northeast as babyfaces.As I said earlier,as heels they'd probably have done great and have mega heat.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations