WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » RAW 04 17 17

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: RAW 04 17 17
FuzzFace
Member # 98738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FuzzFace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brawn Strowman and Angle open the show

the WWE.com RAW preview is focusing on the following points heading into tonight's show:

* Is Braun Strowman unstoppable?
* Has Elias Samson “drifted” to Raw?
* Is Nia Jax in line for a Raw Women’s Title opportunity?
* Which Raw newcomers will “shake up” Team Red the most?
* Will Seth Rollins and Samoa Joe settle their unfinished business?

--------------------
FREE BEER PARTY 7-8 PM FOR ALL FANS

IP: Logged
FuzzFace
Member # 98738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FuzzFace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe vs Jericho 1st match
Booker T on commentary

--------------------
FREE BEER PARTY 7-8 PM FOR ALL FANS

davephlegmball
Member # 5163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davephlegmball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ralphus run-in?
PartsUnknown77 From ND
Member # 8970

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PartsUnknown77 From ND     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The opening segment with Strowman and Angle was about as awkward as it gets as far as bad acting goes.

--------------------
"I live in a big house, on the big side of town" -Ric Flair

Soletaker
Member # 1564

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Soletaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like Finn was cleared after suffering a concussion last week.
bigpappacubfan
Member # 8321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigpappacubfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Women's 4 way was very well worked. Not much appreciation from the crowd though. Pretty good match that got a lot of time.

Hopefully Bray gets a victory at the PPV. Character is on life support at this point.

--------------------
and that's the bottom line....

bigpappacubfan
Member # 8321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigpappacubfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Going with my oldest son (24) to SD Live tomorrow night. 5th row behind announcers. He's like I was back in the day. Poor guy can hardly contain his excitement. I joked with him that I was going to buy a Lesnar shirt and give Ambrose a few germans if I had to sit through that horrendous fake fall through the ropes... Luckily the shakeup saved me. [Smile]

--------------------
and that's the bottom line....

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Strowman and Show just had an actual good match. Even had some wrestling in it. Both flying around a remarkable amount for guys that big, and even more so at Show's age. I won't spoil the finish.

So long from the Sunshine State!

--------------------
If you lames are the master race, my money's on the mud people.---Andrew Vachss

FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FantasyWrestlerDrew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask from FL:
Strowman and Show just had an actual good match. Even had some wrestling in it. Both flying around a remarkable amount for guys that big, and even more so at Show's age. I won't spoil the finish.

So long from the Sunshine State!

I haven't seen this yet but their match a month or two ago was really good. Show was doing a lot of hold for counter hold and Strowman was doing counters and kip ups that I've only seen guys half his size (or Don Leo Jonathan) do.
Shattered
Member # 235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shattered     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! I've never seen a ring collapse like that before.
I take it the match was ruled a draw?? [Confused]

--------------------
Mookie Wilson would've been safe anyway!

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty much figured they were gimmicking the ring to collapse when they left the LED screens off the ringposts and skirt but if the goal is to get Braun over, why just NOT have the ref bumped to the outside, have Bruan roll on top of Show, pin him, then stretcher Show out?

[ 04-17-2017, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: Shaving Weezie Jefferson ]

FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FantasyWrestlerDrew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the third time they've done the ring collapse gimmick. All three involved Big Show. First was against Brock. Second against Mark Henry and this is the third. First time they had someone get up at the end of it though. Can't believe they'll feed Braun to Roman in two weeks after all this.
FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

I will say this too, John Cone took an amazing ref bump. Loved it.
wheel23
Member # 5514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wheel23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FantasyWrestlerDrew:
This is the third time they've done the ring collapse gimmick. All three involved Big Show. First was against Brock. Second against Mark Henry and this is the third. First time they had someone get up at the end of it though. Can't believe they'll feed Braun to Roman in two weeks after all this.

I suspect they may setup for a match where Braun can win without pinning Reigns.

It's clear there setuping for Strowman-Lesnar with Reigns-Lesnar to come further down the road.

mckinneydg
Member # 48545

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mckinneydg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm assuming the over-the-top beating Reigns took last week was a way for him to save face in a loss at Payback to BRAUN.

Honestly, the most compelling thing on Raw right now for me is the whole Brock/BRAUN/Roman stuff.

[ 04-18-2017, 04:53 AM: Message edited by: mckinneydg ]

--------------------
South Atlanta Wrestling

Kilroy
Member # 53

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kilroy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
Pretty much figured they were gimmicking the ring to collapse when they left the LED screens off the ringposts and skirt but if the goal is to get Braun over, why just NOT have the ref bumped to the outside, have Bruan roll on top of Show, pin him, then stretcher Show out?

IMO it was way more effective with Braun getting up as the last man standing..
mckinneydg
Member # 48545

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mckinneydg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They did a similar thing with Roman getting to a knee to sign the contract before his match with BRAUN at Fastlane. It seems like they could or should do a Last Man Standing match at Payback.

--------------------
South Atlanta Wrestling

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kilroy:
quote:

Strongly disagree. It's that formulaic WWE bullsh*it that milks everything way too long and makes everything so obvious that it loses any real impact.

That staredown where they then look up at the WrestleMania sign as the copyright lower third fills the bottom of the screen.

Or the shot where one guy hits his finisher, then stares at his opponent from the ramp.

Or that shot EVERY WEEK where someone says something "profound" (not profound) and the female announcer stares pensively as though she just heard MLK speak.

Do this: Ring breaks. Give the pop a few seconds to subside as the ref crawls into position. Then Braun struggles a bit causing the crowd to get into the drama of it all even more (something that would also go a long way towards killing those stupid chants that happen out of boredom or knowing what's coming next). Then ONE...TWO...THREE. Second pop. THEN he struggles to his feet. Last man standing. You get the same effect but you make the win mean something and you have your new monster killing the old monster (which draws a parallel to Roman slaying Undertaker).

They pussied out with that finish (and kinda weakened the previous week's Braun killing Roman angle).

[ 04-18-2017, 07:11 AM: Message edited by: Shaving Weezie Jefferson ]

davephlegmball
Member # 5163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davephlegmball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Big deal. ECW did the "ring-break" deal before too. (back then it was real)
1bruiser
Member # 2903

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1bruiser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a Memphis TV match where the ring broke, long before ECW did it. I think it actually broke, as everyone stood around, and the announcer shut up. Only man I remember being in the match was Jackie Fargo. He finally picked up a board and started using it.
mckinneydg
Member # 48545

quote:
Originally posted by davephlegmball:

I'm not sure wrestling existed before ECW to be honest.

--------------------
South Atlanta Wrestling

FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

there is a British match on Youtube with Giant Haystacks and Dalibar Singh where Singh takes a hard bump into a corner and the entire corner just buckles. They fixed it in between rounds but seeing them trying to keep going with an entire corner of the ring destroyed.
FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Kilroy:
quote:

Strongly disagree. It's that formulaic WWE bullsh*it that milks everything way too long and makes everything so obvious that it loses any real impact.

That staredown where they then look up at the WrestleMania sign as the copyright lower third fills the bottom of the screen.

Or the shot where one guy hits his finisher, then stares at his opponent from the ramp.

Or that shot EVERY WEEK where someone says something "profound" (not profound) and the female announcer stares pensively as though she just heard MLK speak.

Do this: Ring breaks. Give the pop a few seconds to subside as the ref crawls into position. Then Braun struggles a bit causing the crowd to get into the drama of it all even more (something that would also go a long way towards killing those stupid chants that happen out of boredom or knowing what's coming next). Then ONE...TWO...THREE. Second pop. THEN he struggles to his feet. Last man standing. You get the same effect but you make the win mean something and you have your new monster killing the old monster (which draws a parallel to Roman slaying Undertaker).

They pussied out with that finish (and kinda weakened the previous week's Braun killing Roman angle).

I agree with you SWJ. Also after the show on WWE.com they showed Big Show basically no selling this. He was able to walk out of the ring under his own power. That diminishes Braun more than anything. I mean a guy (Roman) was technically in a car accident thanks to Braun and he is going to be well enough to wrestle in 3 weeks time. Meanwhile Braun and Show destroy a ring and both are able to leave under their own power. I get why they did it with Braun as they are trying to build him as a monster in the most WWE way possible. I guess you can say they stopped the match because Cone took that awesome bump to the outside but when has a ref bump ever stopped a match in WWE? Never?

But this is the same promotion where a bad knee kept someone who is suppose to be known as super athletic out for what 6 weeks and then could only fight a "non-sanctioned" match at WrestleMania and in that non-sanctioned match he hit all his normal spots and no sold the knee as much as possible. The next night Cole says half-heartedly that "after last night Rollins was cleared by our doctors for being well enough." Meh.

I remember too years ago I went to a Raw where they had Big Show beat up John Cena so badly he couldn't wrestle on this Raw. Tey had Cena in bandages, a cast and black and blue all over but guess what? Cameras went off and out comes a perfectly fine John Cena doing all his normal spots in a match against the guy who supposedly beat him so bad he was near death.

I also agree with SWJ the mugging of the camera has to stop in WWE. It's ridiculous and super lame because guys will "stand tall" over another guy but that person is perfectly fine within a few minutes! Like they will have someone attack another worker so badly that the refs and agents and all that have to come out. Person doing the beat down mugs the camera, does some weird awkward posing and then leaves. Camera cuts to person who just got beat down and they are sitting up doing some awkward mugging back at the camera half selling injury, half selling surprise. The reactions are just terrible.

davephlegmball
Member # 5163

quote:
Originally posted by mckinneydg:
quote:
Originally posted by davephlegmball:

I'm not sure wrestling existed before ECW to be honest.
WWWF existed, then NWA woke us up in the NE, then WWF started to suck big time (Hogan Era), and the NWA turned into WCW (see Hogan Era WWF), then ECW liberated we fortunate few in Philly. Don't be hatin' on us because we were at the crest of the wave.
King Francis
Member # 24068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for King Francis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
standing nose to nose in the ring making faces at each other.... so fricking scary

--------------------
When I said that was the most ignorant thing I ever heard, I didn't realize you were still talking.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations