WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » WCW World Title Tournament 1999

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WCW World Title Tournament 1999
TheBob
Member # 123058

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking back at the 1999 tournament to crown a new WCW World Champion. Here's the first round of action, and it's rather interesting. Good or bad interesting? You decide that one.

https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2017/04/17/wcw-world-title-tournament-in-1999-first-round/

IP: Logged
Big Daddy Meatybone
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Daddy Meatybone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did like the Sting 3 second squash of Brian Knobbs

--------------------
~BIG DADDY MEATYBONE
_ _ _ _ _____ _ _ _ _

"If people fall asleep in front of the TV, it still counts as a rating point" ~ Dave Meltzer, 2009

"A draw is like kissing your sister" ~ Larry Nelson, 1987

Pillsbury
Member # 43540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pillsbury     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the entire tournament was garbage.

--------------------
Tom Brady and Bill Belichick have FIVE SUPER BOWL RINGS!!!.......FIVE!!!

Big Daddy Meatybone
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Daddy Meatybone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also think having Benoit in the finals vs. Bret Hart was a great way to finally give him the push and rub he deserved at the time without just hotshotting the title on him.

--------------------
~BIG DADDY MEATYBONE
_ _ _ _ _____ _ _ _ _

"If people fall asleep in front of the TV, it still counts as a rating point" ~ Dave Meltzer, 2009

"A draw is like kissing your sister" ~ Larry Nelson, 1987

Someone from Rwanda
Member # 22010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Someone from Rwanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a mess.

In a year that saw Sting getting attacked by dogs and David Flair as US Champion, someone like Russo almost looked like the good guy when he came in and said he was going to make WCW exciting again.

Well, then we had stuff like Tank Abbot joining a boy band and a big pile of crap like this.

FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FantasyWrestlerDrew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMHO the Tank Abbott/3 Count story was probably the lone Vince Russo without a Vince McMahon filter gimmick I actually kinda enjoyed. There isn't much competition and the bar is literally set at the depths of hell but I found this somewhat enjoyable.
Freeman
Member # 3074

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Freeman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Madusa was eliminated in the first round by Meng... but then she was back in a different first round match, defeating Evan Karagias? Very odd.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Freeman:
Madusa was eliminated in the first round by Meng... but then she was back in a different first round match, defeating Evan Karagias? Very odd.

Very Idiot Russo.
Grobbit
Member # 80932

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grobbit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pillsbury:
I thought the entire tournament was garbage.

The entire promotion was garbage by this point.

About the only thing I enjoyed were the Rick Steiner being grumpy and beating guys up matches, most notably against Lash Laroux and Konnan, but Rick seemed permanently p-o'ed at this point and was potatoing the hell out of people.

BTW, off-topic but Rick said in a shoot interview that Russo was planning to have him do some kind of confrontation with Tank Abbott and Russo wanted some kind of shoot aspect that would involve Rick beating up Tank, Rick said he was more than happy to do it, so he was confident he could have taken Tank out.

Always heard Rick was tough as nails, but is this just wrestler's bravado? Or could he really have taken Tank out?

[ 04-18-2017, 05:50 AM: Message edited by: Grobbit ]

--------------------
"If I hit him with the left hand and he's still standing, I will walk around him to see whats holding him up." - Harley Race

Gov't Mule
Member # 2440

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gov't Mule     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tank was just a glorified bar room brawler. Unless Rick was dumb enough to only stand and trade punches with him, he could take Tank down pretty easy, I would think.
Grobbit
Member # 80932

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grobbit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gov't Mule:
Tank was just a glorified bar room brawler. Unless Rick was dumb enough to only stand and trade punches with him, he could take Tank down pretty easy, I would think.

Yeah, Rick mentioned that Tank couldn't wrestle and Rick of course, was a very good collegiate amateur.

--------------------
"If I hit him with the left hand and he's still standing, I will walk around him to see whats holding him up." - Harley Race

tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamalie from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the Bret vs. Benoit final in Toronto at the Mayhem PPV, complete with the big celebration with the Hart family for Bret, should have been the beginning of Bret having a title reign that lasted deep into 2000 and was built around him having quality matches with the best wrestlers in the promotion. Bill Goldberg should have been on a separate track, rebuilding his rep with wins until eventually winning the title late in 2000 from Bret in a babyface match. The nonsense with the NWO revival just when Bret was finally being used somewhere close to correctly for the first time in two years in WCW was a big mistake.
Rob from IA
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob from IA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grobbit:
quote:
Originally posted by Gov't Mule:

Yeah, Rick mentioned that Tank couldn't wrestle and Rick of course, was a very good collegiate amateur.
Which isn't exactly true as Tank wrestled in college and was a JC All-American. It's why him and Jeff Blatnick got along so well despite such different personalities. Rick was good at Michigan as well, but not as good as the exaggerated credentials JR would pass on (he was never an all-American even once there). Scott did receive one all-America at sixth place, but JR did a good job hyping them, even if it was a bit over the top.
A Gene Wilder Somersault
Member # 128207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Gene Wilder Somersault     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tamalie from MN:
I thought the Bret vs. Benoit final in Toronto at the Mayhem PPV, complete with the big celebration with the Hart family for Bret, should have been the beginning of Bret having a title reign that lasted deep into 2000 and was built around him having quality matches with the best wrestlers in the promotion. Bill Goldberg should have been on a separate track, rebuilding his rep with wins until eventually winning the title late in 2000 from Bret in a babyface match. The nonsense with the NWO revival just when Bret was finally being used somewhere close to correctly for the first time in two years in WCW was a big mistake.

This would've been a serious improvement over what actually happened.
Ta-Kargol, Lord Of The Volcano
Member # 2127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ta-Kargol, Lord Of The Volcano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The end of the tournament was excellent. Problem with the early stage was its lopsidedness. E.g. The Cat v Lash Leroux, which was a squash because Miller was injured. Whereas you had other first round matchups like Benoit v Malenko and Hart v Goldberg. Had it been a simulated random draw I could have understood but it was supposedly seeded.

Plus there were many big names not in it.

Does make me wonder though whether a King Of The Ring with pretty much the entire WWE roster in it - no idea how many are on it, but getting to 64 ought not be a problem - would work. Over a few weeks, obviously.

--------------------
I have roamed the galaxy in search of battle. Those who have crossed me have had their bodies broken and their blood spilled. Never have I looked back.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations