WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Wade Keller RE: Breaking Kayfabe on Social Media

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wade Keller RE: Breaking Kayfabe on Social Media
Gov't Mule
Member # 2440

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gov't Mule     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For awhile now Wade Keller has railed against wrestlers breaking kayfabe on Twitter, Instagram, etc. His theory is that they should be in character basically at all times. As he says, he wants to believe Seth Rollins (when he was a heel) is a dick at the grocery store too.

I'd like other opinions on this. Maybe I'd have held the same opinion even 15-20 years ago, but kayfabe has basically been dead for almost 30 years if not longer. I can suspend my disbelief for the tv shows and PPV's, but I don't need the guys and gals heeling or playing their characters outside of that. It's almost insulting to my intelligence at that point.

I can fully enjoy an Avengers movie without Robert Downey Jr. pretending to be Tony Stark 24/7 on Twitter and talk shows, to draw an analogy.

What say you?

IP: Logged
Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Armageddon_T_Thunderbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He should follow Sunny's twitter. She's been peddling nudie shows and snap chat stuff for ever.

--------------------
Your uncrowned NWA Heavyweight Champion of the World.

Now on the twitter machine - @Armageddon_t

evensout
Member # 5985

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evensout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kayfabe days are over; a relic from the past... f'get about it
jorjorbynks
Member # 12312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jorjorbynks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It doesn't bother me that they don't keep kayfabe on social media. However, I think they should try and keep it consistent. For example, if they regularly have interactions with fans via social media and aren't keeping kayfabe, don't try to sneak kayfabe stuff in there. Just my preference.

--------------------
Pro Wrestling is neither real nor fake. It's magic!

FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FantasyWrestlerDrew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did like on Austin's podcast Keller tried to shoe horn this in about Bray Wyatt and Wyatt showing his family eating out at a restaurant and Steve just shut him down saying it don't matter anymore.
mckinneydg
Member # 48545

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mckinneydg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keller is hung up on this to a ridiculous degree in my opinion. The only argument against it I sort of buy is that WWE is constantly pushing us to look at these accounts. Besides that I just look at it as a "so long as you maintain the illusion during the shows, it's not a big deal."

I also think Keller overstates the negative impact it has. Like to him it's a HUGE issue, and I just don't think it matters anymore.

There's also the idea that this dude makes his living on pulling back the curtain, and is now complaining about how wrestlers use social media in 2017.

--------------------
South Atlanta Wrestling

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My problem is when one "reality" inter-mingles with another "reality."

I hated when they used Mick Foley's book as a storyline on TV. The WWE books break kayfabe, the TV shows don't. Therefore they technically don't (or shouldn't) exist in the same "universe." Same with the Hall of Fame speeches and the podcasts and so on.

"Seth Rollins" (a character that WWE created) *should* adhere to kayfabe. If Colby Lopez wants to break kayfabe, he should make a separate personal account.

However, if Colby Lopez *is* going to break kayfabe on a Twitter account as "Seth Rollins," WWE *shouldn't* advertise that account in an on-screen graphic on their shows.

Pick one reality and stick with it. Has nothing to do with people knowing wrestling is fake (most of society has known wrestling was fake for 100 years). Has everything to do with suspension of disbelief during a performance.

They need to start differentiating between "characters" and "actors." Jeffrey Dean Morgan doesn't pretend to be a killer on his Twitter account, but by the same token, he's not calling himself "Negan" on his account either.

[ 04-17-2017, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: Shaving Weezie Jefferson ]

mckinneydg
Member # 48545

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mckinneydg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In one of the scenarios where Keller was worked up about it the issue was on Adam Scherr's Instagram, and not on anything branded BRAUN STROWMAN.

--------------------
South Atlanta Wrestling

Old WWWF Fan
Member # 126715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Old WWWF Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If Wade isn't trolling with this, then he's just plain mistaken. Bigly, IMO.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I mean, it's okay for Lecy Goranson and Sarah Chalke to Tweet about playing Becky on Roseanne but it was dumb for the show to have both of them on the same episode.
Steven Bryant
Member # 3417

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steven Bryant   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
My problem is when one "reality" inter-mingles with another "reality."

I hated when they used Mick Foley's book as a storyline on TV. The WWE books break kayfabe, the TV shows don't. Therefore they technically don't (or shouldn't) exist in the same "universe." Same with the Hall of Fame speeches and the podcasts and so on.

"Seth Rollins" (a character that WWE created) *should* adhere to kayfabe. If Colby Lopez wants to break kayfabe, he should make a separate personal account.

However, if Colby Lopez *is* going to break kayfabe on a Twitter account as "Seth Rollins," WWE *shouldn't* advertise that account in an on-screen graphic on their shows.

Pick one reality and stick with it. Has nothing to do with people knowing wrestling is fake (most of society has known wrestling was fake for 100 years). Has everything to do with suspension of disbelief during a performance.

They need to start differentiating between "characters" and "actors." Jeffrey Dean Morgan doesn't pretend to be a killer on his Twitter account, but by the same token, he's not calling himself "Negan" on his account either.

WWE has all sorts of shows on the Network where the wrestlers aren't in character, and their 3rd most popular show is Total Divas where it is all out of character stuff. That line has been crossed long ago.

I'd agree on the Twitter names thing if WWE actually had credits or anything to promote the wrestler's real names, but that is still one weird area where they for the most part avoid putting the real names out there so they aren't promoting what they can't own.

--------------------
http://www.socaluncensored.com

FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FantasyWrestlerDrew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with those that are saying either stick to kayfabe 100% or stick to not kayfabe 100%. It bothers me when I follow someone on twitter and they will answer fans with shoot answers but then all of a sudden will post something in character. I mean most guys I knew in the business I never called them by their shoot names (hell I didn't even know my trainers real name until 5 years after he trained me) but if Rik posts as Rik, he should stay as Rik. You can promote a show without being in character. Now if Matt wants to post as Matt then that is fine too. To me gimmicks and the real person aren't that far off (I mean some exceptions do exist like Taker, Bray, Finn as demon). My point is if Finn wants to call himself Finn but post everything as Fergal, the man then that is cool but don't all of a sudden try to flip the kayfabe switch on and post Finn as Finn and expect us to buy that.

EDIT: Rik/Matt is my trainer. Just used him as an example. I found out his shoot name when he wanted to set up a Facebook and asked me to help him. He has a Rik fan page where he posts in character and a Matt personal page that he posts pics of his awesome kids. I know Twitter is weird about having multiple accounts and the whole verified gimmick but at least on Facebook there can be a personal page for the person and then a fan page ran by the person for kayfabe.

[ 04-17-2017, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: FantasyWrestlerDrew ]

OSJ from NM by way of WA
Member # 6136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OSJ from NM by way of WA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two things that don't matter any longer... 1. kayfabe 2. Wade Keller

--------------------
"What you say sounds reasonable enough," said the man, "but I refuse to be bribed. I am here to whip people, and whip them I shall!")
-Franz Kafka - The Trial

Liz Hunter's Boyfriend
Member # 7919

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liz Hunter's Boyfriend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Compare & contrast. Meltzer has a feeling for people, reports on actual human events in wrestling, takes chances and is respected as a journalist. Keller pops a Werther's Original and channels a grouchy old guy in brown Sans-A-Belt slacks-a wealthy one who toddles down to the mailbox to collect all the money marks send him, so the gimmick is still drawing.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations