WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Alice (TV Show)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Alice (TV Show)
brawler2711
Member # 26849

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brawler2711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I caught an episode recently but had never seen the show before, did you enjoy the show?

I assume it was popular as it lasted from 1976-1985.

-

[ 04-17-2017, 07:36 AM: Message edited by: brawler2711 ]

--------------------
Sir Tojo: "I used Brut in the late '60's-early '70's. Used to splash it all over my crotch area after a shower--no joke.I used to get some funny reactions to that back in my early 20's. Fond memories."

IP: Logged
TerryR
Member # 5671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to watch it as a kid. It was one of those shows that ran after-school in syndication (Diff'rent Strokes, Facts of Life, Jeffersons, One Day at a Time etc).

I don't remember much about it other than "Kiss my Grits!" from Flo.

Big Daddy Meatybone
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Daddy Meatybone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Based in Phoenix. The actual opening sequence included a shot of a real Mel's Diner in Phoenix, AZ.

working part time in the service industry, I am convinced that for every Alice you have on your staff, you have a Flo and a Vera.

--------------------
~BIG DADDY MEATYBONE
_ _ _ _ _____ _ _ _ _

"If people fall asleep in front of the TV, it still counts as a rating point" ~ Dave Meltzer, 2009

"A draw is like kissing your sister" ~ Larry Nelson, 1987

Tatsuya
Member # 80195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tatsuya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Use to watch it regularly because I'm pretty sure in one of its time slots it was on before The Jeffersons...or at least on Sundays which was the same night. Enjoyed it enough to keep tuning in

Haven't seen the movie though

King Francis
Member # 24068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for King Francis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
watched it alot.... fun show that was good for its time

--------------------
When I said that was the most ignorant thing I ever heard, I didn't realize you were still talking.

Gov't Mule
Member # 2440

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gov't Mule     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the few shows from that time period I never watched (or at least have a recollection of) for some reason.
Alfred Ticineto,
Member # 1855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alfred Ticineto,   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked it, though I haven't seen reruns of it in ages.
Gov't Mule
Member # 2440

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gov't Mule     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TerryR:
I used to watch it as a kid. It was one of those shows that ran after-school in syndication (Diff'rent Strokes, Facts of Life, Jeffersons, One Day at a Time etc).

Was it in heavy syndication for long? Those other shows I've seen a million times. I only vaguely remember Alice.
Big Daddy Meatybone
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Daddy Meatybone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The lead actress, Linda Lavin, also sang the theme song IIRC

--------------------
~BIG DADDY MEATYBONE
_ _ _ _ _____ _ _ _ _

"If people fall asleep in front of the TV, it still counts as a rating point" ~ Dave Meltzer, 2009

Big Daddy Meatybone
Member # 708

Anyone remember the episode where Vera thought George Burns was really God?

I don't think you could create a character that gullible and clueless in today's sitcoms.

--------------------
~BIG DADDY MEATYBONE
_ _ _ _ _____ _ _ _ _

gulascantfoolus
Member # 6964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gulascantfoolus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alice doesnt post here anymore

--------------------
gulascantfoolus is the greatest
user name EVER regardless of any silly contest

mckinneydg
Member # 48545

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mckinneydg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

This is how I remember it as well.

--------------------
South Atlanta Wrestling

Old WWWF Fan
Member # 126715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Old WWWF Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mckinneydg:
quote:

This is how I remember it as well.
Thirded [Big Grin]
Stephen Gennarelli
Member # 21747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Gennarelli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was a very popular series back in its heyday.
I'm sure today it would appear extremely dated. But in its 70's naivety it was kind of cute.

Rob from IA
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob from IA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember enjoying the reruns as a kid, but haven't seen it since it was on TNN the same timeframe ECW was on there.
codystarbuck
Member # 27176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for codystarbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched it occasionally, over the years. It was a pretty good show, for a lot of years. It had a few ups and downs with the cast, as Flo got a spin-off show. Decent mix of comedy and some drama.

--------------------
"The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it’s as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues." —Terry Pratchett

The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Enjoyed it for 70s TV. Not sure it would hold up if I watched it today. Kind of like 3's Company.

--------------------
"It's Gerry, and Mike Graham is the correct answer." — CWF Fan on a 07-14-2017 thread, debating Mike Graham & Jerry Brisco

The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did Philip McKeon do anything after this?

--------------------
"It's Gerry, and Mike Graham is the correct answer." — CWF Fan on a 07-14-2017 thread, debating Mike Graham & Jerry Brisco

Gov't Mule
Member # 2440

quote:
Originally posted by The Coach:
Enjoyed it for 70s TV. Not sure it would hold up if I watched it today. Kind of like 3's Company.

Totally a time capsule of the 70's/80's but John Ritter remains brilliant.
HEN from MS
Member # 3801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HEN from MS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Big Daddy Meatybone:
working part time in the service industry, I am convinced that for every Alice you have on your staff, you have a Flo and a Vera.

Or every other sit-com about three women and a fourth associate... Designing Women, Living Single, The Golden Girls... all had the same character reprsentations.

quote:
Originally posted by Big Daddy Meatybone:
The lead actress, Linda Lavin, also sang the theme song IIRC

That is correct. She was a versatile stage performer, musicals, etc.

Also, on the random Alice trivia, I always remember the Dukes of Hazzard crossover episoce where Boss Hogg and Roscoe were in Mel's Diner, although I don't remember what they were doing there.

--------------------
"Yip!" -- Jumpin' Jeff Farmer

tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamalie from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Alice" is a show that was a reasonable hit in its era, but which doesn't hold up well today, even by the standards of sitcoms from that era when things were written much more broadly than now. It made it on the charisma of Linda Lavin in the lead role, Vic Tayback playing a good lovable grouch in Mel, and in particular Polly Holliday as Flo in the early years doing the verbal sparring with Mel. It mostly aired on Sunday night in a very protected spot which makes me think it got carried by its surrounding shows. Given that the competition was largely movies on NBC and ABC, if you started with the CBS sitcoms and missed some of the movies, you might as well keep going. When the show occasionally moved to another night that was in play for the other networks, the ratings dropped. That said, it made it nine seasons and the "Kiss my grits!" catchphrase was legitimately a big part of 1970s pop culture.
Tatsuya
Member # 80195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tatsuya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trying to remember what shows were on the other networks on Sundays. Sunday prime time was a bit different in that it started at 7pm instead of 8 (Eastern time zone anyway). I know the Six Million Dollar Man was on Sundays but it may have been off the air by the time Alice debuted (maybe they had a season or two that ran concurrently).

Can't remember if Battlestar Galactica was on at 7 or 8pm.

Can't for the life of me recall what NBC ran in the 7 and 8 time slot. They had those crime mystery shows like Columbo, McCloud, Mac and Wife etc but think those started at 9. Later on comedy shows like Silver Spoons and Punky Brewster were on the 7pm slot but that was more early 80s

Alice did have a hell of a lead in show in 60 Minutes as well

paulsonj72
Member # 58715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulsonj72     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatsuya:
Trying to remember what shows were on the other networks on Sundays. Sunday prime time was a bit different in that it started at 7pm instead of 8 (Eastern time zone anyway). I know the Six Million Dollar Man was on Sundays but it may have been off the air by the time Alice debuted (maybe they had a season or two that ran concurrently).

Can't remember if Battlestar Galactica was on at 7 or 8pm.

Can't for the life of me recall what NBC ran in the 7 and 8 time slot. They had those crime mystery shows like Columbo, McCloud, Mac and Wife etc but think those started at 9. Later on comedy shows like Silver Spoons and Punky Brewster were on the 7pm slot but that was more early 80s

Alice did have a hell of a lead in show in 60 Minutes as well

Even today prime time starts at 7:00 PM ET(except when CBS has sports overruns or Fox has the NFL doubleheader). There is something in the way regulations are written that allows prime time to start at that time on Sunday nights compared to the rest of the week.
mr. disco
Member # 1736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr. disco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tamalie from MN:
"Alice" is a show that was a reasonable hit in its era, but which doesn't hold up well today, even by the standards of sitcoms from that era when things were written much more broadly than now. It made it on the charisma of Linda Lavin in the lead role, Vic Tayback playing a good lovable grouch in Mel, and in particular Polly Holliday as Flo in the early years doing the verbal sparring with Mel. It mostly aired on Sunday night in a very protected spot which makes me think it got carried by its surrounding shows. Given that the competition was largely movies on NBC and ABC, if you started with the CBS sitcoms and missed some of the movies, you might as well keep going. When the show occasionally moved to another night that was in play for the other networks, the ratings dropped. That said, it made it nine seasons and the "Kiss my grits!" catchphrase was legitimately a big part of 1970s pop culture.

The Lineup of All in the Family, One Day at a Time and the Jeffersons was pretty solid for sitcoms of the era.

--------------------
"Just because you ain't paranoid don't mean they ain't out to get you." - Steve Earle

TerryR
Member # 5671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gov't Mule:
quote:

Was it in heavy syndication for long? Those other shows I've seen a million times. I only vaguely remember Alice.
I'm not sure. It definitely wasn't as heavy as the other ones mentioned.
ltp711
Member # 8527

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ltp711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Gov't Mule:
quote:

I'm not sure. It definitely wasn't as heavy as the other ones mentioned.
I remember it being on a lot, I think it was mostly on the top independent channel in most markets since shows like MASH, All in the Family, Happy Days and Laverne & Shirley got the spots on affiliates. It was also on TBS when it was still WTBS.
TerryR
Member # 5671

I wasn't trying to think about what most independents played during prime time if they weren't a "movie station".

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations