WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Solo tour or playing with the band

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Solo tour or playing with the band
midsouthfan from N.O.
Member # 1508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for midsouthfan from N.O.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok this might be a silly question. This is for you guys who understand the inner workings of the music biz.

Are there any legal restrictions for singers in a band playing a solo concert?

Here's a real life example. The wife and I saw Rob Thomas last year. He sang his solo songs and all of his Matchbox 20 songs. This year Matchbox 20 will be passing through. What's the difference? other than the obvious of having the band with him and not a different touring band?

IP: Logged
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apples and oranges.

http://wrestlingclassics.com/.ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=067536

So long from the Sunshine State!

--------------------
If you lames are the master race, my money's on the mud people.---Andrew Vachss

jjmike
Member # 3833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jjmike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt there is anything legal to do with it. Probably a case by case basis for each group and an agreement between them on what they will and will not perform during solo tours. The success of their solo career might have a lot to do with it too. If someone has a couple solo albums that have done well, they might not need to also pull out every hit they have had with their band during concert. But if they don't have a lot of their own material, you are probably going to hear the songs they did the band plus some covers too. Put it this way, Don Henley may not have to do any Eagles songs during a concert, but Vince Neil is likely going to have a setlist that is 90% Motley Crue material.
Curt Injurker
Member # 6203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt Injurker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, for one, would be IRATE if I went to a Vince Neil solo show and wasn't treated to a live rendition of "You're Invited But Your Friend Can't Come" [Smile]
White Fang from WA
Member # 1458

Icon 1 posted      Profile for White Fang from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All depends on what their contracts as to who owns what says.

But you can't prevent someone from playing any particular songs live (or recording them for that matter). Pretty much all the legal aspect of someone going solo has to do with how they present themselves, as in what the name of the show or band is and how they word the adverts.

--------------------
The reason raindances work is because they don't stop dancing until it rains.

Happ Hazzard
Member # 4893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Happ Hazzard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gary Kemp prevented Tony Hadley from singing any Spandau Ballet songs as a solo performer.
jjmike
Member # 3833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jjmike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by White Fang from WA:
Pretty much all the legal aspect of someone going solo has to do with how they present themselves, as in what the name of the show or band is and how they word the adverts.

I think there was article about Motely Crue's retirment tour saying they all signed a contract they saying that was the end of the band after the tour ended. One of them mentioned they did not want to have 1 original member going around using the Motely Crue name to tour small clubs and county fairs. I believe there are lawsuits about certain bands that have 2 different versions(one of them might be Ratt)going around on tours while fighting about who owns the name.
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see we did not read the link.

Yes, any private contract would be legally valid, assuming it met the legal standards for a contract. (Like, there would have to be CONSIDERATION. You'd have to pay me to NOT do the song.)

The owner of the SONG rights could choose to make the song unavailable for public performance. He'd be a nitwit, because he'd be screwing himself out of royalties, but he could.

As correctly stated, once a song is recorded, it's fair game for covers. Again, read the link.

The point that you all missed by not reading the link is that the license to publicly perform a song is held by the VENUE, not the performer. Therefore... apples and oranges.

[ 04-17-2017, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: Crimson Mask from FL ]

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

quote:
Originally posted by jjmike:
quote:
Originally posted by White Fang from WA:
Pretty much all the legal aspect of someone going solo has to do with how they present themselves, as in what the name of the show or band is and how they word the adverts.

I think there was article about Motely Crue's retirment tour saying they all signed a contract they saying that was the end of the band after the tour ended. One of them mentioned they did not want to have 1 original member going around using the Motely Crue name to tour small clubs and county fairs. I believe there are lawsuits about certain bands that have 2 different versions(one of them might be Ratt)going around on tours while fighting about who owns the name.
Use of the name is a TRADEMARK issue.

Performance rights are a... wait for it...

... COPYRIGHT issue.

Apples and bricks.

--------------------

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With Rob Thomas, I'm guessing he plays smaller venues solo than when he's with the band, right?

Only difference would seem to be that he gets a large piece of a small pie on his solo shows and a smaller piece of a large pie with Matchbox. I don't think the members of that band have a history of heat with each other so I'm guessing they all see the value in the side gig thing. It's the old "how can I miss you when you won't go away" thing.

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plus Rob wrote most or all of the songs I think.
bart
Member # 1799

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vince does 90% Motley songs and a medley of other bands that the guitarist sings. He was absolutely terrible last time I saw him, which was in January. When I saw him back in the 90s, he was still pursuing a solo career and playing large theaters, and it was probably a 50/50 mix, if I remember.

Sebastian Bach seems to do a mix of his stuff and Skid Row, and most folks react more to the SR stuff.

--------------------
...which further concurs that Bart was right all along. - Wild Rover

bart
Member # 1799

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If anyone gets a chance to see Tom Keifer, the singer from Cinderella, live, I cannot recommend him more. Probably about 60% Cinderella, 20% solo and he throws in come good covers too. The band is fantastic, it's a great old school style rock and roll show.

--------------------
...which further concurs that Bart was right all along. - Wild Rover

King Diamond Fan
Member # 128663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for King Diamond Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the main difference between a Rob Thomas concert and Matchbox 20 concert is RT would play his solo and MB 20 songs while MB 20 would not play Rob's solo songs.
dthcm
Member # 56183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dthcm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Van Halen didn't want Sammy Hagar to play some of their songs. Even threatening legal action. Legally, as already stated by CM, they can't but it has worked on at least one occasion when Sammy wanted to play a couple of them on "Live from Daryl’s House".
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/sammy-hagar-perform-van-halen-songs/

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

No. Read the link, and actually it's mentioned in that piece. Playing live is one thing. Playing for broadcast is something else altogether. Different rights.

--------------------

mr. disco
Member # 1736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr. disco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bart:
If anyone gets a chance to see Tom Keifer, the singer from Cinderella, live, I cannot recommend him more. Probably about 60% Cinderella, 20% solo and he throws in come good covers too. The band is fantastic, it's a great old school style rock and roll show.

His solo stuff is excellent. And Cinderella is a very underrated band.

--------------------
"Just because you ain't paranoid don't mean they ain't out to get you." - Steve Earle

mr. disco
Member # 1736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr. disco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw Sammy last year with Michael Anthony on bass and Jason Bonham on drums. About 50% Van Halen stuff, 35% Sammy solo material, and the rest covers. Don Felder opened and did 95% Eagles songs (and was surprisingly good). I remarked that it was like seeing sane Van Halen and sane Eagles shows in the same night.

--------------------
"Just because you ain't paranoid don't mean they ain't out to get you." - Steve Earle

mr. disco
Member # 1736

While not a legal thing, one thing I've found is many times when you see a lead singer tour solo without the band that they are known for, you actually get to see a better band musically. Bret Michaels from Poison is the best example of this. Poison, while a fun band for what they are, are not exactly musical virtuoso's (though their drummer is decent). Bret's solo band is excellent.

I also saw Paul Stanley about 10-12 years ago on a solo club tour, when his voice was still strong. His backing band was great, and Paul played a cool mix of material you would not hear at a KISS show.

And as mentioned, there are the bands where there have been two versions touring at the same time. RATT was one, LA Guns was another, and of course there is the Mike Love version of the Beach Boys using the name, while Brian Wilson actually tours with the other original member and several other former members of the band.

--------------------

Pillsbury
Member # 43540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pillsbury     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr. disco:
quote:
Originally posted by bart:

His solo stuff is excellent. And Cinderella is a very underrated band.
Just seen an ad in the paper that he's coming to Boston soon.Think I'm gonna go ahead and check it out.Night Songs is one of my favorite all time songs and albums.

--------------------
Tom Brady and Bill Belichick have FIVE SUPER BOWL RINGS!!!.......FIVE!!!

Wolverine
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolverine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I've heard, David Lee Roth solo was 90% Van Halen tunes, even when he was supporting his solo albums.
mr. disco
Member # 1736

quote:
Originally posted by Wolverine:
From what I've heard, David Lee Roth solo was 90% Van Halen tunes, even when he was supporting his solo albums.

I saw Roth solo once, and I don't know if he played any of his solo material. Maybe Yankee Rose, but that would have been it.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations