WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Barry Windham/Brad Armstrong

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Barry Windham/Brad Armstrong
The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've discussed Flair's matches with both and how good they were. Wondering if anyone recalls Barry and Brad locking up? I can't but am thinking it would've been a barn burner.

[ 04-16-2017, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: The Coach ]

--------------------
"If I had realized that you people would be so damned stupid as to give the world champion $750,000, I would have made myself the champion." — Ole Anderson, to the executives at WCW and WTBS

IP: Logged
Tatsuya
Member # 80195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tatsuya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
June 1988 Clash of Champions. Kinda short but very good as expected
Dan P-170
Member # 32

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P-170     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They also had a few televised matches against each other in the early 90s, including I think Barry's first after winning the NWA title.

Speaking of 1990s NWA, I've been reading through old Observer recaps on Reddit and it seems Jim Cornette, who never joined the NWA but was close a couple of times and used the champion, was pushing for Brad to get the title.

[ 04-16-2017, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: Dan P-170 ]

Big Daddy Meatybone
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Daddy Meatybone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did they face when Barry was in the West Texas Rednecks and Brad in the No Limit Soldiers?

--------------------
~BIG DADDY MEATYBONE
_ _ _ _ _____ _ _ _ _

"If people fall asleep in front of the TV, it still counts as a rating point" ~ Dave Meltzer, 2009

"A draw is like kissing your sister" ~ Larry Nelson, 1987

REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for REO Speeddealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Big Daddy Meatybone:
Did they face when Barry was in the West Texas Rednecks and Brad in the No Limit Soldiers?

They were on opposing teams at the 1999 Bash at the Beach.
Steve Berberovic
Member # 7569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Berberovic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatsuya:

Very smooth match, a night off for both guys, Brad was always good in the ring, I don't think anyone questions that, but didn't have National level charisma, but if the territories had survived...

And Barry, when he was on, was a Top Ten in North America level worker.

Wrestling Professor
Member # 3362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wrestling Professor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure if someone mentioned this previously, but Brad Armstrong has a clean win over Ric Flair on his record. This was either '86 or '87 at a house show. I remember reading it in a back issue of the Observer and couldn't believe my eyes.

I also recall when Bill Watts changed the format of the Saturday TBS show to WCW Saturday Night with the set looking like a talk show. One of the first main events in the new format was Brad Armstrong vs Great Muta. This was May '92 when my man Riki Rachtman was guest co-host. Match is on YouTube.

Brad was one of my favorites. Just a phenomenal talent.

[ 04-22-2017, 12:42 AM: Message edited by: Wrestling Professor ]

--------------------
The Armpit
http://Armpit-Wrestling.com
Home of the backstage fights

Dan P-170
Member # 32

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P-170     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to split hairs but the talk show format and the overall change to WCW Saturday Night happened under Kip Frey.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Berberovic:
quote:

Very smooth match, a night off for both guys, Brad was always good in the ring, I don't think anyone questions that, but didn't have National level charisma, but if the territories had survived...

"Charisma" is the most overused and misused term in wrestling.

What people really mean is that the actor doesn't fit the role.

And that's only a problem because the writer/director only is only casting for a certain type of a role.

The guys everyone points to as "having no charisma" are generally just guys who didn't fit the role being cast.

Brad needed new boots. And maybe a good heel run. He had "charisma." It was just misdirected.

[ 04-22-2017, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: Shaving Weezie Jefferson ]

Tatsuya
Member # 80195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tatsuya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Berberovic:
quote:

Personally thought Barry was the best wrestler in the US during this time. I especially liked him as a heel because he got to be more of an ass kicker.

[ 04-22-2017, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: Tatsuya ]

Wrestling Professor
Member # 3362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wrestling Professor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan P-170:
Not to split hairs but the talk show format and the overall change to WCW Saturday Night happened under Kip Frey.

New look, set, and music debuted in April of 1992. Watts took over in late February.

--------------------
The Armpit

Dan P-170
Member # 32

quote:
Originally posted by Wrestling Professor:
quote:
Originally posted by Dan P-170:

New look, set, and music debuted in April of 1992. Watts took over in late February.
Kip Frey was in charge January-May 1992.

Watts was in charge June 1992-February 1993.

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kip now runs a company that helps make dogs smarter:

https://www.dognition.com/

Wrestling Professor
Member # 3362

Dan P-170, you're absolutely right, I stand corrected. I got my SuperBrawls mixed up, as he was let go right before SuperBrawl '93 and I got mixed up, thinking he was hired right before SuperBrawl '92.

The early Kip (or "K. Allen Frey" as he liked to be called) months were underrated and had good ratings. Kinda wish they had kept him in charge, but nobody could've anticipated Watts would've been as disastrous as he was.

--------------------
The Armpit

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations