WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Most underated big star ever (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Most underated big star ever
brawler2711
Member # 26849

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brawler2711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My vote goes to Bob Orton Jr.

--------------------
"I'll be with 20 in-laws...hhhmmm..we'll see. But, 7 of the 20 are my nieces (in their early to mid 20's), so I'll enjoy seeing a few of them at the pool, and on the beach.At least the "scenery" should be enjoyable. [Smile]"
Sir Tojo

IP: Logged
John Williamson
Member # 127199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Williamson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hulk Hogan.
Gov't Mule
Member # 2440

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gov't Mule     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Barry Windham
A Gene Wilder Somersault
Member # 128207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Gene Wilder Somersault     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hogan or maybe Sid. Randy Orton today
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alex Chilton.
davephlegmball
Member # 5163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davephlegmball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was Eddie Gilbert a "big star?"

Depends on who is doing the rating, and what the definition of "big star" is. I wouldn't call Bob Orton Jr. a "big star."

Fred Blassie was a "big star" no matter how you look at it--he was on TV coast-to-coast; famous in Japan; easily recognizable to any wrestling fan. Underrated? Maybe.

Underrated in what sense?

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by davephlegmball:
I wouldn't call Bob Orton Jr. a "big star."

Orton headlined MSG at Backlund, had big runs in most of the territories, was part of the angle that set up the first Starrcade, and part of the main event mix at the first Wrestlemania. I'd say he was "a big star." Not a mega star but a big star.

Not sure how a "big star" can be underrated though. If people think you're a big star, you must be "rated" pretty well.

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

And unless you read the Apter mags (or remembered rasslin' from the 1950s), a lot of people in many territories couldn't pick Blassie out of a police lineup.

[ 04-14-2017, 08:54 AM: Message edited by: Shaving Weezie Jefferson ]

Travlr
Administrator
Member # 4304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travlr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dick Hutton

--------------------
The Traveller
a fan since '68....

"Reputation is what others think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. The friction tends to arise when the two are not the same.... Guard your honor; let your reputation fall where it may."

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

In all honesty? Two of the biggest "underrated big stars" of all time?

John Cena and Roman Reigns.

The Fake J.D. McKay
Member # 24269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Fake J.D. McKay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have to remember that George Gulas had a really big run. He qualifies.
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:

Not sure how a "big star" can be underrated

Was my first thought, but on second thought I can see how. Not getting deserved credit for ability.

So long from the Sunshine State!

--------------------
If you lames are the master race, my money's on the mud people.---Andrew Vachss

OSJ from NM by way of WA
Member # 6136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OSJ from NM by way of WA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Without including the qualification of "according to... or in what context" This question just becomes a quagmire. The OP cites Bob Orton jr., but I have a real problem considering a guy that was always at or near the top of the top of the card during his career, and is highly thought-of as one of the best of his generation wherever he went as "underrated".

As for some of the others:

Barry Windham - generally thought of as one of the best workers of his generation.
Hulk Hogan - interesting choice, he's gone from being considered a waste of space to being pimped so hard by some that he's almost become "overrated"!
Sid Vicious/Justice - We've come quite away from "Softball Sid Sucks" to the consensus that he was "okay". I'd be interested in any argument put forward that would consider him much better than "passable".
Dick Hutton - Trave suggests him and since all we have is a pretty darn short career tacked on to a very memorable amatuer run, hard to say that he's "underrated" (at least by the folks around here). Yeah, he probably wouldn't get too much traction from a SDL crowd, but there ya go...

Finally, Richard comments on Blassie and suggests Roman & Cena... As to the former, (as I always do with wrestlers from the 1940s-1960s) I turn it over to memories of my rather large extended-family of the previous generation, who were NOT wrestling fans... However, being an annoying brat, that was a subject that I wanted to talk about and I was usually relentless with the line of questions that started with Uncle____, who was your favorite wrestler when you were my age? Bottom line, any wrestler that was recalled by these generally baseball/football only fans, (such as any of my great-uncles) had to be a pretty big deal. Blassie was certainly know in this context.
As for Cena & Roman, I think that among people who know their stuff, that the perception of these two guys has flip-flopped so much that they are in danger of being overrated..

As for Randy Orton, that's an odd one... When motivated, he can be a joy to watch, however, those occasions are becoming fewer and fewer.

Based on conversation from another board that I frequent, I'll nominate "The Miz"! Yes, he's coming off of perhaps his best year ever, and he's cut some delightfully "shooty" promos on Daniel Bryan, but that's been about it. When the time comes to deliver in the ring, the "King of Safe Style" is pretty darn pedestrian, yet to have heard some of these guys, the Miz was cutting Cornette-level promos while delivering Eddie Guerrero-level matches week in, week out, yeah, that's overrated...

--------------------
"What you say sounds reasonable enough," said the man, "but I refuse to be bribed. I am here to whip people, and whip them I shall!")
-Franz Kafka - The Trial

Ta-Kargol, Lord Of The Volcano
Member # 2127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ta-Kargol, Lord Of The Volcano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DDP

--------------------
I have roamed the galaxy in search of battle. Those who have crossed me have had their bodies broken and their blood spilled. Never have I looked back.

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask from FL:
quote:

Not sure how a "big star" can be underrated

Was my first thought, but on second thought I can see how. Not getting deserved credit for ability.

So long from the Sunshine State!

Hogan in Japan might actually qualify him then.
gulascantfoolus
Member # 6964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gulascantfoolus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And unless you read the Apter mags (or remembered rasslin' from the 1950s), a lot of people in many territories couldn't pick Blassie out of a police lineup.

they'd mistakenly ID him as Rikidozan.......hey somebody was gonna say it

--------------------
gulascantfoolus is the greatest
user name EVER regardless of any silly contest

gulascantfoolus
Member # 6964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gulascantfoolus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Fake J.D. McKay:
We have to remember that George Gulas had a really big run. He qualifies.

Just think if he had been an Aggie

--------------------
gulascantfoolus is the greatest
user name EVER regardless of any silly contest

Pbhero
Member # 81542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pbhero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not a fan, but Jeff Hardy is always super over...and is a big star....and not held in much regard by many.
Travlr
Administrator
Member # 4304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travlr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When we batted around a variation of this question six or seven years ago, a surprising name came out of it, primarily because in a thread or two that was getting some traffic at the time was all about NWAlliance champs. And one name got completely missed in the discussions. And no, it wasn't Dick Hutton (although much discussion about why he got the pick and his drawing power and so forth). It was a name that, when pointed out, made pretty much all of us go, "Jayzus, how could we forget him?"

And that was Pat O'Connor.

For what is generally a savvy bunch of guys about "the boys", that we'd all leave out such an important figure I think says something about him being "under-rated".

--------------------
The Traveller
a fan since '68....

"Reputation is what others think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. The friction tends to arise when the two are not the same.... Guard your honor; let your reputation fall where it may."

M.DuPree
Member # 426

Icon 1 posted      Profile for M.DuPree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wilbur Snyder

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/RasslinRelics

midsouthfan from N.O.
Member # 1508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for midsouthfan from N.O.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by brawler2711:
My vote goes to Bob Orton Jr.

My first thought absolutely!!!
merc
Member # 125456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Billy Robinson fit into this discussion? Titles all over, wrestled everywhere, cept (maybe) the WWWF and is largely forgotten today.
Travlr
Administrator
Member # 4304

quote:
Originally posted by M.DuPree:
Wilbur Snyder

I'd put him high on my list....

--------------------
The Traveller
a fan since '68....

Wolverine
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolverine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marty Jannetty. Most people think of him as "The Other Rocker", but he was just as enjoyable as a singles competitor.
Bnicholas
Member # 23863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bnicholas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OSJ from NM by way of WA:
Without including the qualification of "according to... or in what context" This question just becomes a quagmire. The OP cites Bob Orton jr., but I have a real problem considering a guy that was always at or near the top of the top of the card during his career, and is highly thought-of as one of the best of his generation wherever he went as "underrated".

As for some of the others:

Barry Windham - generally thought of as one of the best workers of his generation.
Hulk Hogan - interesting choice, he's gone from being considered a waste of space to being pimped so hard by some that he's almost become "overrated"!
Sid Vicious/Justice - We've come quite away from "Softball Sid Sucks" to the consensus that he was "okay". I'd be interested in any argument put forward that would consider him much better than "passable".
Dick Hutton - Trave suggests him and since all we have is a pretty darn short career tacked on to a very memorable amatuer run, hard to say that he's "underrated" (at least by the folks around here). Yeah, he probably wouldn't get too much traction from a SDL crowd, but there ya go...

Finally, Richard comments on Blassie and suggests Roman & Cena... As to the former, (as I always do with wrestlers from the 1940s-1960s) I turn it over to memories of my rather large extended-family of the previous generation, who were NOT wrestling fans... However, being an annoying brat, that was a subject that I wanted to talk about and I was usually relentless with the line of questions that started with Uncle____, who was your favorite wrestler when you were my age? Bottom line, any wrestler that was recalled by these generally baseball/football only fans, (such as any of my great-uncles) had to be a pretty big deal. Blassie was certainly know in this context.
As for Cena & Roman, I think that among people who know their stuff, that the perception of these two guys has flip-flopped so much that they are in danger of being overrated..

As for Randy Orton, that's an odd one... When motivated, he can be a joy to watch, however, those occasions are becoming fewer and fewer.

Based on conversation from another board that I frequent, I'll nominate "The Miz"! Yes, he's coming off of perhaps his best year ever, and he's cut some delightfully "shooty" promos on Daniel Bryan, but that's been about it. When the time comes to deliver in the ring, the "King of Safe Style" is pretty darn pedestrian, yet to have heard some of these guys, the Miz was cutting Cornette-level promos while delivering Eddie Guerrero-level matches week in, week out, yeah, that's overrated...

fantastic post. I really concur on the thoughts about Cena and Hogan coming full circle to overrated at this point as "smarks" have gone to trying to show how much they "get it" now when it comes to drawing power and making money.
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess casual fans don't know from Billy Robinson, but you still hear his name a LOT in grappling circles.

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

As far as Hutton, who knows? There's no film. There's like Yohe and 17 other living people who ever saw him.

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

... and for that matter if we're talking general public or casual fans, ****, it's everybody from before 1995 or whatever. They don't know Thesz or Londos from Zippy the Pinhead. No reason they would.

--------------------

First Row Al
Member # 127224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for First Row Al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Freddie Blassie was never underated here in Los Angeles. He was probably in the top 5 of all-time wrestlers in SoCal.

Buddy Killer Austin, although highly rated in L.A. for several years back in the 60's, he might not have been on everyone's radar around the rest of the country.

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

I think he was, but has been largely forgotten. Probably again through lack of film. But he was on top in NY, Florida and other places too.

--------------------

Hollywood Hoagie
Member # 102500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hollywood Hoagie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jim Duggan

Seriously, he's well known being one of the key players in the WWF during the 80s boom. He didn't always show how good he could be. I just watched a WCW match of his against Vader and he was great. He's powerful, athletic, tough and believable. He made Vader look like a wimp.

[ 04-16-2017, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: Hollywood Hoagie ]

MrWrestlingIIForever
Member # 7379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrWrestlingIIForever     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ronnie Garvin. Could tie you up, scientifically wrestle or brawl, and seemed like a legit tough guy. One bad booking decision in Crockettland in 1987, and he's considered a punchline.
WahooFan
Member # 2026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WahooFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrWrestlingIIForever:
Ronnie Garvin. Could tie you up, scientifically wrestle or brawl, and seemed like a legit tough guy. One bad booking decision in Crockettland in 1987, and he's considered a punchline.

But he shouldn't have interrupted Wahoo. [Wink]

I've got to nominate Terry Gordy. In his prime he could do it all. He should have been a single wrestler for a few years. I really think it would have helped his career.

--------------------
Arnold Palmer: "Gary Player eats bacon when no one's watching."

Gov't Mule
Member # 2440

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gov't Mule     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Alex Chilton.

Naw man, Alex got all the credit. Gotta go with Jody Stephens!

*I may or may not have had to Google the other band members. You can't prove anything...

Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Viewer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask from FL:
As far as Hutton, who knows? There's no film. There's like Yohe and 17 other living people who ever saw him.

There IS film of him wrestling. Mentioned this at various times over the years.

Diamondmd confirmed he's seen one recorded match and that's not all that's out there.

Can't help anyone get it because I really am retired from chasing after rasslin' footage but there certainly are others out in wrestling-history-land who can, and it would be a major hassle, I'll acknowledge.

AFAIK there isn't much of it, and it's difficult to judge a wrestler based on one or two clips, but, again, there is surviving film of Hutton.

Do you recall a few years back when a print of W.W. Wittig's original film of George Hackenschmidt defeating Joe Rogers turned up in New Zealand?

The finders didn't have the funds to pay to convert 2,300 feet of silver nitrate film(it can catch fire if ya sneeze in the same room with it) to digital format. So they tried to get a British film archive to attempt a conversion to digital format.

Since then, I haven't read anything about any progress in digging up funding to pay the costs.

All manner of wrestling films still exist. But I stayed away from the Hackenschmidt footage because what they needed was a benefactor to cover the costs and I wasn't that person.

Ken

[ 04-17-2017, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: Ken Viewer ]

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

I was engaging in hyperbole.

--------------------

ponyplayer19
Member # 8537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ponyplayer19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dutch Savage
A Gene Wilder Somersault
Member # 128207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Gene Wilder Somersault     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hollywood Hoagie:
Jim Duggan

Seriously, he's well known being one of the key players in the WWF during the 80s boom. He didn't always show how good he could be. I just watched a WCW match of his against Vader and he was great. He's powerful, athletic, tough and believable. He made Vader look like a wimp.

If you're talking about their Starrcade 94 match, Duggan was supposed to put Vader over in preparation for his feud with Hogan and made him look terrible instead.
Skullbutt
Member # 21433

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skullbutt         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never cared for him while he was wrestling, but I feel that Rocca is underated by many
Dr Hackenslash
Member # 30130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dr Hackenslash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vince McMahon. In a different world, he'd have taken the Hogan role himself and run with it.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations