WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Any good Flair vs. Windham matches on the WWE Network?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any good Flair vs. Windham matches on the WWE Network?
Big Daddy Meatybone
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Daddy Meatybone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I keep hearing how Flair vs. Windham was almost.... if not every bit as good.... as Flair vs. Funk or Flair vs. Steamboat.

I know that the 5-star match from Day 2 of the Crocket Cup 1987 is not on the WWE Network. And I am not sure how many times they actually faced. Any other Flair vs. Windham matches on the Network?

[ 04-11-2017, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: Big Daddy Meatybone ]

--------------------
~BIG DADDY MEATYBONE
_ _ _ _ _____ _ _ _ _

"If people fall asleep in front of the TV, it still counts as a rating point" ~ Dave Meltzer, 2009

"A draw is like kissing your sister" ~ Larry Nelson, 1987

IP: Logged
Curt Injurker
Member # 6203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt Injurker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Network part is the kicker.

I think the Crockett Cup '87 match you mentioned, the match from Worldwide that lasted the whole episode, and the Battle of the Belts match from '86 all stack up with anything Flair did with Steamboat or Funk. But I don't know if any of those are available on the Network.

dthcm
Member # 56183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dthcm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flair vs Windham on Worldwide is part of the network's hidden gems.
brawler2711
Member # 26849

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brawler2711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Slamboree 94 which features Barry's return.

--------------------
Sir Tojo: "I used Brut in the late '60's-early '70's. Used to splash it all over my crotch area after a shower--no joke.I used to get some funny reactions to that back in my early 20's. Fond memories."

REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for REO Speeddealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 1993 Beach Blast match is too, but that's not one of their better matches.

[ 04-13-2017, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: REO Speeddealer ]

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
"Okay fun is fun but enough is enough, and so on. We do not need half the front page beening Tocus threads. The old ones have been kicked over to the Markley forum...otherwise the whole gimmick can go over there." --Crimson Mask, 3/18/11

The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dthcm:
Flair vs Windham on Worldwide is part of the network's hidden gems.

Is this whe he came back to JCP? If it's the one Im thinking of, it was outstanding.

--------------------
"It's Gerry, and Mike Graham is the correct answer." — CWF Fan on a 07-14-2017 thread, debating Mike Graham & Jerry Brisco

Dan P-170
Member # 32

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P-170     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Windham came back in December 1986. The Worldwide match was the following month.
Andy from NY
Member # 7701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andy from NY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The one where Dusty was announcing and said he needed a cerveza (beer).
Big Daddy Meatybone
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Daddy Meatybone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Andy from NY:
The one where Dusty was announcing and said he needed a cerveza (beer).

Yep that was the Worldwide match and is indeed a hidden gem on the network.

"I need two cervezas, one for Tony here"

--------------------
~BIG DADDY MEATYBONE
_ _ _ _ _____ _ _ _ _

"If people fall asleep in front of the TV, it still counts as a rating point" ~ Dave Meltzer, 2009

"A draw is like kissing your sister" ~ Larry Nelson, 1987

FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FantasyWrestlerDrew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dusty was great as an announcer here. He was goofy but yet added so much legitimacy to the match putting over how Windham was working the head to "give Flair cobwebs" and how Flair working the arm was "an Anderson classic and being a cousin of the Anderson's he knows to work the arm and break down his opponent."

I wish WWE seriously would do this. I mean the last time they did it was what....2006? HBK versus Cena that went 45-50 but they list at being and hour long. I feel if not over exposing it, giving away a match on TV like this where it just makes both guys look amazing wouldn't hurt. WWE is entertainment sure, its all gimmick but I mean every now and then just seeing two guys go 120% tells more a story than any literal story written out.

As for the match, I loved it. I watched it last night after seeing this. I would put it third in the "famous" Flair NWA title matches of this era. I think the Flair/Steamboat clash match and the Flair/Funk "I Quit" match were better but this match is better than Flair/Steamboat 1 and 3 and Flair/Sting.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations