WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » ECW's at it's Best

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ECW's at it's Best
davephlegmball
Member # 5163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davephlegmball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

IP: Logged
DaClyde
Member # 127626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaClyde   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I didn't realize Mike Awesome had been in ECW that long ago. And did Samoa Joe buy Donnie Allen's tights when Allen was done with them?

[ 04-08-2017, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: DaClyde ]

NYindyfan
Member # 125634

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NYindyfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought they got better as time went on. That was kind of when they first started to pick up steam
Cone Stold
Member # 19963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cone Stold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought so too. The angles in the first few years of ECW were better. However I enjoy rewatching the post 97 stuff more these days. Outside of a handful of guys (mostly guys passing through on short stints) the pre 98 work was the chocolate rain and almost unwatchable today. After 97 they still had horrible no talents like New Jack and Sandman, but they were in smaller doses. They also had a ton of fun exciting workers that were having good matches. RVD, Lynn, Crazy, Tajiri, Awesome, Tanaka, Guido, ect.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say 1995 (and maybe 1996) was "ECW at its best."

--------------------
"Okay fun is fun but enough is enough, and so on. We do not need half the front page beening Tocus threads. The old ones have been kicked over to the Markley forum...otherwise the whole gimmick can go over there." --Crimson Mask, 3/18/11

NYindyfan
Member # 125634

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NYindyfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd agree with the '95-'96
The Midnight Lurker
Member # 1084

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Midnight Lurker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, need to take into consideration the alternative ECW was presenting to WWF and WCW in 1995 and 1996. I was a big fan but didn't appreciate at the time that my level of interest had already piqued before the time they got on PPV in 1997.
Tatsuya
Member # 80195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tatsuya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I had to pick one year, definitely 1995 but more broadly, from the time Shane threw the NWA belt into the trash until the Barely Legal PPV was pretty strong.
Someone from Rwanda
Member # 22010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Someone from Rwanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. Liked the montage video of Awesome set to 'Dive' by Nirvana.

Also, Dick Gregory would have made a great wrestling manager. Did anyone ever get around to trying that Bahamian Diet?

davephlegmball
Member # 5163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davephlegmball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dick Gregory--lol!

I forget--is the ICOPRO commercial in the mix? That one guy in the commercial looked like he could have used piano-wire for dental floss.

brawler2711
Member # 26849

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brawler2711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EC Dub

No Flub

ECW was special to some.

--------------------
Sir Tojo: "I used Brut in the late '60's-early '70's. Used to splash it all over my crotch area after a shower--no joke.I used to get some funny reactions to that back in my early 20's. Fond memories."

Old WWWF Fan
Member # 126715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Old WWWF Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Video unavailable, aargh.
davephlegmball
Member # 5163

Was cool while it lasted.
FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FantasyWrestlerDrew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatsuya:
If I had to pick one year, definitely 1995 but more broadly, from the time Shane threw the NWA belt into the trash until the Barely Legal PPV was pretty strong.

This. I'll even say up until the end of 97 was when I consider ECW at its best. I feel the rails started to come off towards the end of 97. I liked the Dreamer/Lawler feud but that reign of Shane Douglas that started at the end of 97 really hurt the company IMO because he was injured for what seemed like the entire year of 1998. I don't remember how long it actually was but it seemed like forever. I liked the World title situation in 97 before that though. Funk, Sabu, Shane and Bam Bam. The "Born to be Wired" match made ECW special (even though I didn't watch the full match until a few years ago). But yeah once Bam Bam lost to Shane, I feel like it hit a wall and never recovered.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations