WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Mauro Ranallo (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Mauro Ranallo
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

IP: Logged
Big Daddy Meatybone
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Daddy Meatybone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did anyone think JBL's smile and handshake to Byron Saxton welcoming him aboard Smackdown this week came off disingenuous?

--------------------
~BIG DADDY MEATYBONE
_ _ _ _ _____ _ _ _ _

"If people fall asleep in front of the TV, it still counts as a rating point" ~ Dave Meltzer, 2009

"A draw is like kissing your sister" ~ Larry Nelson, 1987

habsfan87 from NL
Member # 8038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for habsfan87 from NL         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Big Daddy Meatybone:
Did anyone think JBL's smile and handshake to Byron Saxton welcoming him aboard Smackdown this week came off disingenuous?

I didn't see it, but JBL is a heel. He may have wanted it to seem that way.
Lance Goodthrust from NL
Member # 347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lance Goodthrust from NL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mauro has signed to call the Rizin event in Japan this weekend.
Claymation Quartermain
Member # 6083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claymation Quartermain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did any specifics ever come out on what happened? I have only heard stuff that JBL did to other guys so far.

--------------------
"Old Time Hockey?"

Pbhero
Member # 81542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pbhero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nobody deserves to be bullied by others.

Did the Mauro stuff happen because JBL poked fun at Mauro telling the world he won a Best Announcer award in the Observer?

But if I told people I worked with that I'd won an award doing my job...I'd be opening myself up for chiding. If one of my coworkers, that was a friend did it...I'd have some fun with them....and if it was a blowhard I work with I'd probably think less of them.

There's got to be more to this....like a long history of JBL making life difficult for Mauro....it can't just be this...

Tatsuya
Member # 80195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tatsuya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Claymation Quartermain:
Did any specifics ever come out on what happened? I have only heard stuff that JBL did to other guys so far.

Apparently part of Ranallo's release settlement is a non disclosure agreememt according to Meltzer. So likely won't get the real story behind this
Cattle_Mutilation
Member # 59807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cattle_Mutilation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One one hand I'm pleased he got paid and can draw a line under the whole traumatic experience, but on the other hand him being able to tell his story unedited is not going to help the environment when it really could have been a major catalyst to do so. But you have to respect his decision and it can't have been an easy one for him

--------------------
Never Drew A Dime!

Any person applying for the position of pro wrestling referee must be of physical unfitness to the degree that the slightest nudge would render him irretrievably unconscious.

Old WWWF Fan
Member # 126715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Old WWWF Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Big Daddy Meatybone:

I got the impression that he was trying very hard to appear to be a babyface.

[ 04-17-2017, 04:41 AM: Message edited by: Old WWWF Fan ]

Tatsuya
Member # 80195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tatsuya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWIW

http://www.newsweek.com/exclusive-mauro-ranallo-wwe-part-ways-588181

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatsuya:
FWIW

http://www.newsweek.com/exclusive-mauro-ranallo-wwe-part-ways-588181

Would've preferred to have seen him not take the buyout and put the screws to them, but whatever...hope he took them to the cleaners in the settlement.

Almost everyone takes the blood money.

Remember how quickly WWE tightened the vice when they dropped Steamboat on his head and caused his aneurism to burst? That wasn't really even anybody's fault but they managed it like somebody got caught in a hot tube with a child (in the middle of Linda's senate campaign no less).

WWE is a cult and almost everyone who goes within an inch of it's atmosphere develops Stockholm Syndrome.

Cattle_Mutilation
Member # 59807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cattle_Mutilation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I listened to WOR today and Bryan and Dave said there is a LOT more to come out about this and they wouldn't comment on this Newsweek article or say anything more about it until it did. So this is far from over.

--------------------
Never Drew A Dime!

Any person applying for the position of pro wrestling referee must be of physical unfitness to the degree that the slightest nudge would render him irretrievably unconscious.

Steve Yohe
Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Yohe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Cornette, and when he is not being nuts, I agree with him on just about everything. In a lot of ways he is smarter than anyone in wrestling.

I spent 8 years in the army and played basketball forever. If your going to be a man....you have to be ready to fight....even if your going to get killed or beat up. If guys know your not going to back down....you'll get left alone or you'll be one of the guys. You have to have respect...even if you have to fight for it. Every time I've come across a situation like that...it's worked. You don't have to be a big tough guy to not be a wimp.---Steve Yohe

Tatsuya
Member # 80195

So Ranallo says it has nothing to do with JBL. I hope that he's hinting at the bigger issue being that Vince enables this kind of behavior. So really, it may all have to do with VKM and not JBL in Mauro's mind.

Although the fact a couple of Mauro's buds, Bas Rutten and Pat Miletich, has publicly stated they want to meet up with JBL says otherwise.

Oh well, another incident the WWE can sweep under the rug for now. Hopefully in the not so distant future this type of stuff will burn them in the ass

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Yohe:
I love Cornette, and when he is not being nuts, I agree with him on just about everything. In a lot of ways he is smarter than anyone in wrestling.

I spent 8 years in the army and played basketball forever. If your going to be a man....you have to be ready to fight....even if your going to get killed or beat up. If guys know your not going to back down....you'll get left alone or you'll be one of the guys. You have to have respect...even if you have to fight for it. Every time I've come across a situation like that...it's worked. You don't have to be a big tough guy to not be a wimp.---Steve Yohe

I don't necessarily disagree with any of that. I would've either beaten John Leyfield about the face and neck with a sock full of quarters or I would've shot his kneecaps at point blank range.

Doesn't make him any less of a c*unt though...and doesn't make Vince any less of a jackoff for encouraging this garbage. He needs to grow the f*uck up.

Bionic Lungs
Member # 23051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bionic Lungs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Mauro did the right thing. I do feel bad for the guy, no one should be bullied at their work place, if what all that has come out is true.

See, this is what I liked about Owen Hart. Has anyone heard the word bully and Owen Hart together? His ribs were funny and I never heard a bad thing about the guy.

Owen seemed to be the type of guy that if he knew you had sensitivity issues or mental health issues of any kind, he would've been nice to you, and if he played a joke on you, he'd make sure it wouldn't put you down or make you depressed. I never knew the guy, but that's the type of guy Owen seemed to be.

I hope he (Mauro) finds success in life post WWE, which I believe he will.

--------------------
"Anytime you travel 36,000 miles above normalcy level, you will have turbulence. Anytime you mix two physically, mentally, reactive chemicals, there's gonna be boiling and there's gonna be bubbling." - Ultimate Warrior (SNME, 1/27/90)

Tatsuya
Member # 80195

BTW, I've posted this before but Mauro's been pranked by guys far scarier than JBL. What they did to him in the WWE was mental abuse, not good natured ribbing like here

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorta doubt they knew about his issues back then, too. Any case he was already successful before he went to WWE, and he'll continue to be. They needed him a lot more than he needed them.

--------------------
If you lames are the master race, my money's on the mud people.---Andrew Vachss

Pbhero
Member # 81542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pbhero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know....I heard about Owen ruining a giant vat of chili at Harley Races BBQ which he and his wife was holding for all the boys.

I don't know about you...but if I was hosting a party for over a dozen hungry wrestlers...and someone ruined the main attraction...I'd be pissed....kinda a selfish dick head move.

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:
Originally posted by Pbhero:
I don't know....I heard about Owen ruining a giant vat of chili at Harley Races BBQ which he and his wife was holding for all the boys.

I don't know about you...but if I was hosting a party for over a dozen hungry wrestlers...and someone ruined the main attraction...I'd be pissed....kinda a selfish dick head move.

Harley pulled a ton of dickish pranks too. He was so fond of throwing rubber snakes at Bob Armstrong that Bob legit was gonna shoot him.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

And that's another thing. Even the meanest spirited ribs back in the day were perpetrated by independent contractors who could walk at any time they wanted (and usually among peers). WWE's pretty much the only place where all but a handful of guys can make money, there is a hierarchy, and it's openly encouraged by the boss. It's a way different situation.
Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Armageddon_T_Thunderbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to this, it sound like the higher ups in the company was gunning for Mauro as well.

Source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

As noted, Mauro Ranallo and WWE have parted ways. While Mauro remains under WWE contract until August 12th, he will be able to commentate for other shows other than pro wrestling until then.

In the latest issue of The Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Dave Meltzer noted that when Mauro was hired last year, it was because they wanted him to be himself so that SmackDown could have a different feel from RAW. However, after a few months Vince McMahon wanted Mauro to be more like Michael Cole. It was noted that McMahon was reportedly frustrated by Mauro's style, and Tom Phillips being added to the SmackDown announce team was the first public sign of it.

Things continued to go sour from there, with Mauro being made the butt of jokes. Meltzer noted that Ranallo was basically seen as "weird" backstage and "the production room was filled with a lot of people who were emotionally still in high school."

As noted, JBL lashing out at Mauro on Bring It To The Table was the straw that broke the camel's back. The subject of Mauro being buried on the show was planned ahead of time, and there were discussions before the show regarding what should and shouldn't be said.

Another incident regarding JBL and a non-wrestler whose name was not mentioned was discussed. Apparently the person had a close family member dying and had to miss a couple of weeks of work due to a minor operation. JBL went off on the person for taking time off and harassed the person while noting that he didn't miss shows after he had hernia surgery. He kept going on until the person was in tears, even though the person noted that it wasn't the week to do this.

[ 04-25-2017, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: Armageddon_T_Thunderbird ]

--------------------
Your uncrowned NWA Heavyweight Champion of the World.

Now on the twitter machine - @Armageddon_t

Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone coming in to a top spot like that is going to get ribbed and bullied.

See the thing about WWE is Vince is the main man, but is really oblivious to what's going on in terms of talent relations at that level. He only cares about a handful of talent. That's all he has time for.

Like on television, there are factions in the office. While you may be the close ally of someone high on the food chain. There is someone else who has their own clique who might oppose you simply due to your friendship with that person. There is a lot more inner turmoil among people in the office than few realize.

Coming in with the deal that Mauro had put a target on his back the moment he walked in the door. No one is safe, heck look at all the teasing and bullying Jim Ross endured. Hell you can even make a strong argument that it lead to one of JR's Bell Palsy attacks.

I'm almost surprised a major newspaper or article has not made the link between Vince McMahon's company and Linda McMahon being the Administrator of Small Business under Trump.

--------------------
follow me on twitter at: @mattfarmer93
www.defywrestling.com
http://mlwradio.com/

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. Me too.

--------------------

jjmike
Member # 3833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jjmike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mauro is currently doing the Joshua-Klitschko telecast on Showtime, and sort of got in a parting shot. He said something along the lines of "I have been to Wrestlemania, but nothing compares to the atmosphers here...."
black ace
Member # 4742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for black ace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The strange part of this is that without a doubt Mauro was the highest profile announcer they have ever had. Perhaps that's why WWE management had issues with him. He didn't need to do it their way.

Remember when Mike Goldberg was contemplating an offer ?

[ 05-02-2017, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: black ace ]

Old WWWF Fan
Member # 126715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Old WWWF Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by black ace:
The strange part of this is that without a doubt Mauro was the highest profile announcer they have ever had. Perhaps that's why WWE management had issues with him. He didn't need to do it their way.

Yep, God help you if Vince didn't "create" you
bcthomas
Member # 125485

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcthomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few of the sheets are reporting that WWE and Mauro have reopened negotiations to get him back on Smackdown.

Is this because 1) WWE knows it's a bad look to let someone go over mental health? 2) WWE sees the tumble Smackdown ratings have taken lately? 3) It's just the right thing to do, and they are good people at heart?

oblongo
Member # 2502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oblongo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would Mauro want to go back?
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

--------------------

bcthomas
Member # 125485

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcthomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^

He'll probably get a raise, too.

Mauro is part of what made SDL feel different and kind of special. Ratings/Social Media is down from where it was recently, and WWE has to be scrambling to find out why.

I really hope he comes back.

Mauro and AJ Styles are a match made in heaven. It's the closest in my recent memory to JR calling a Stone Cold match.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations