WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Mauro Ranallo (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Mauro Ranallo
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's being reported pretty much everywhere that the reason Mauro has gone missing from WWE the past couple of weeks is because he's been dealing with his well-documented battle with clinical depression (exasperated by seasonal changes).

Mauro's one of the few bright spots on WWE TV lately but I've wondered from the start if he would be a good fit with that company. WWE (even into its button-downed publicly-traded era) has always been a bully's haven with all the hazing and "ribbing" (not to mention Vince's not-so-subtle control issues). I hope I'm wrong and they're being good to the guy. That sh*it's nothing to mess with.

--------------------
"Okay fun is fun but enough is enough, and so on. We do not need half the front page beening Tocus threads. The old ones have been kicked over to the Markley forum...otherwise the whole gimmick can go over there." --Crimson Mask, 3/18/11

IP: Logged
Gabba Hey
Member # 20936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabba Hey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read that 2 weeks ago, was because of the weather, which could be true, and this week he was just sick. (Flu like). But I have no idea. Hope the guy is doing fine. I like his commentary

--------------------
Im your huckleberry - Tombstone -- Sometimes to beat the bully. you have to be the bully. Michael Jordan. vs the Pistons

Gabba Hey
Member # 20936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabba Hey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now I'm reading the same. Hoping he's in good health. That's a tough battle.

--------------------
Im your huckleberry - Tombstone -- Sometimes to beat the bully. you have to be the bully. Michael Jordan. vs the Pistons

A Gene Wilder Somersault
Member # 128207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Gene Wilder Somersault     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He is a tremendous blow-by-blow guy on Showtime Championship Boxing. I have always thought he was a bit of a mismatch in WWE, meaning he is almost above calling the idiocy found on the majority of WWE telecasts. I wish the best for him.
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mauro's a rassln guy at heart. It's kind of amazing he's as good as he is at boxing and MMA.

So long from the Sunshine State!

--------------------

sam the lion from WA
Member # 1154

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sam the lion from WA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another Al Tomko discovery, wait, he might be the only one.

--------------------
The magic, that is on those tapes, you don't own THAT!!

Reid Rothchild

merc
Member # 125456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't stand him. His voice, delivery...like nails on a chalkboard.

I do wish him good health though.

[ 03-26-2017, 07:21 AM: Message edited by: merc ]

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by merc:

Just out of curiosity, who are your favorite Top 5 current announcers?

[ 03-26-2017, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: Shaving Weezie Jefferson ]

--------------------
"Okay fun is fun but enough is enough, and so on. We do not need half the front page beening Tocus threads. The old ones have been kicked over to the Markley forum...otherwise the whole gimmick can go over there." --Crimson Mask, 3/18/11

Steve Yohe
Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Yohe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smart people have trouble with depression...they sometime think too much.--Yohe
BERT from NJ
Member # 4090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BERT from NJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting thought, Steve. Hope Mauro feels better soon.

--------------------
"Kneel before Zod"
General Zod

"You're a little out of order yourself-You insulted him a little bit, you insulted him A LITTLE BIT"
Jimmy the Gent Conway

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

bigpappacubfan
Member # 8321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigpappacubfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Yohe:
Smart people have trouble with depression...they sometime think too much.--Yohe

I fall in this category. The brain is always running. The more you think, the more you over analyze. It is a bad cycle.

--------------------
and that's the bottom line....

black ace
Member # 4742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for black ace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ive been a fan since he showed up in All Star Wrestling when he was 16.

Truly incredible the schedule he keeps and still has time to raise nearness for Mental Health initiatives.

Kev McGrath
Member # 3513

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kev McGrath     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently some heat over retweeting he'd been voted commentator of the year by the Observer is what triggered some of this.
Tatsuya
Member # 80195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tatsuya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Related to post above.....read in latest Observer that Mauro and JBL have heat. Bas Rutten is a friend of Mauro's and said he would love to meet up with JBL....presumably to beat the crap outta him. Yeah, would like to see that too

[ 03-30-2017, 04:29 AM: Message edited by: Tatsuya ]

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. JBL is as big a snowflake as tRump.

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
Mauro's one of the few bright spots on WWE TV lately but I've wondered from the start if he would be a good fit with that company. WWE (even into its button-downed publicly-traded era) has always been a bully's haven with all the hazing and "ribbing" (not to mention Vince's not-so-subtle control issues). I hope I'm wrong and they're being good to the guy. That sh*it's nothing to mess with.

Well...

--------------------

Cattle_Mutilation
Member # 59807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cattle_Mutilation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatsuya:
Related to post above.....read in latest Observer that Mauro and JBL have heat. Bas Rutten is a friend of Mauro's and said he would love to meet up with JBL....presumably to beat the crap outta him. Yeah, would like to see that too

JBL is not a nice person. In the words of Norm MacDonald "I mean, this guy is a real jerk". Also his plastic commentary is a massive reason I stopped watching RAW and pay per views a few years ago and haven't returned

--------------------
Never Drew A Dime!

Any person applying for the position of pro wrestling referee must be of physical unfitness to the degree that the slightest nudge would render him irretrievably unconscious.

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:
Originally posted by Tatsuya:

That was my fear. The d*ouchebag, assh*ole bully is torturing a guy who could literally spiral out of control into suicide with the right prodding. If, gosh forbid, anything tragic happens, I hope Vince gets sued for 800 bazillion dollars.

-

[ 03-30-2017, 07:36 AM: Message edited by: Shaving Weezie Jefferson ]

--------------------

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

And I've said it a hundred times...one day someone's gonna "Bruiser Brody" John Leyfield.

--------------------

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:
And I've said it a hundred times...one day someone's gonna "Bruiser Brody" John Leyfield.

And just so no one mistakes what that means, when I say they're gonna "Bruiser Brody" him, I do of course mean they're gonna "Jose Gonzales" him.

--------------------

Gov't Mule
Member # 2440

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gov't Mule     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is James Beard still around? He was the resident JBL apologist. Would like to see how he spins this one...
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:
Originally posted by Gov't Mule:
Is James Beard still around? He was the resident JBL apologist. Would like to see how he spins this one...

James is a good guy. He's loyal to his friends. And JBL does have his good points. But at the end of the day, he's still a bit of a c*unt.

--------------------

Tatsuya
Member # 80195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tatsuya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be clear, I don't think JBL made fun of Mauro for being bipolar....at least that's what I took out of the article. JBL seemed to give grief to Mauro for tweeting about winning the award, generally seems mean spirited toward Mauro and also took Mauro to task for missing the Pittsburgh Smackdown
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

quote:
quote:

James is a good guy. He's loyal to his friends. And JBL does have his good points. But at the end of the day, he's still a bit of a c*unt.
Remember the sh*t with Meanie? I hope Bas DOES get his hands on him.

--------------------

Kev McGrath
Member # 3513

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kev McGrath     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's worth noting Mauro has worked at the pinnacle of combat sports doing commentary for years and even with his issues never missed any noticeable time. A year in WWE and he's in serious trouble with his health.

WWE has zero tolerance for their announcers missing time so it will be interesting to see how they handle this. I'd be amazed to see him back, and tbh maybe it's for the best, it sounds like a horrible work environment.

A Gene Wilder Somersault
Member # 128207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Gene Wilder Somersault     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a huge fan of Mauro and despise JBL with a passion. I hope Bas Rutten rips the dentures out of his mouth and shoves them up his ass.
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Perfect world, WWE fires him, UFC hires him and puts him with Rogan.

--------------------

A Gene Wilder Somersault
Member # 128207

Yeah, that's an ideal scenario for sure.
Hitman's Shades
Member # 7782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hitman's Shades     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are we sure this is just JBL? The only reason I'm asking is that I just watched on YouTube today Jim Ross talking to Todd Grisham and Grisham was going on about how hard Vince was to deal with *giving instructions* through his headset. And that Vince frequently mocked him and even once told him to stop talking and wouldn't let him start talking for a long period of time. Grisham compared Vince to his ESPN bosses and said it's no contest concerning the intimidation factor. Vince came off as super unprofessional but he's the army of one so he can do that.

[ 03-30-2017, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: Hitman's Shades ]

Liz Hunter's Boyfriend
Member # 7919

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liz Hunter's Boyfriend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JBL bullied Joey Styles & got KOed. Some guys never learn [Roll Eyes]
KobashiChop
Member # 78522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KobashiChop         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A - Do we know for sure it was JBL?

B - Bas would destroy 99 % of the human population in a one on one fight.

Liver shot!!!

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Probably more like 99.99%...

--------------------

Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's too bad not more attention has been spotlighted to this. For a promotion like WWE to push their "anti-bullying" stance and partner-ship like "be a star." You have a lead announcer and CEO bullying someone to the point of a nervous break-down it's sad.
vtrockgod22
Member # 5576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vtrockgod22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Farmer from WA:
It's too bad not more attention has been spotlighted to this. For a promotion like WWE to push their "anti-bullying" stance and partner-ship like "be a star." You have a lead announcer and CEO bullying someone to the point of a nervous break-down it's sad.

Exactly my thoughts. On a side note, I always thought it was interesting that Punk's "Pipe Bomb" promo was cut out just as he was referring to the WWE's hypocritical stance on bullying.
Larry
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Please do not insult c*unts that way.

--------------------
First they broke the mold...then they made me!

FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FantasyWrestlerDrew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JBL kinda have a half hearted apology today on twitter. Said he won't comment more but he plays the heel and wishes Mauro the best. I'm really wondering if a higher up (HHH) saw the backlash of JBL comment towards Mauro and asked him to cover his tracks. I mean it's been what a month since his comments happened and just now he's making some lame attempt to cover himself?
Pbhero
Member # 81542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pbhero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So Ive read that WWE isnt listed under Mauro's Twitter...and no WWE tweets...theyve all been erased.

That's a quick in and out.

Doubt we'll ever hear the whole story.

black ace
Member # 4742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for black ace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FantasyWrestlerDrew:
JBL kinda have a half hearted apology today on twitter. Said he won't comment more but he plays the heel and wishes Mauro the best. I'm really wondering if a higher up (HHH) saw the backlash of JBL comment towards Mauro and asked him to cover his tracks. I mean it's been what a month since his comments happened and just now he's making some lame attempt to cover himself?

More likely that Mauro was bought out of his contract and WWE isint pleased about having to write a cheque

Also heard that prior to Wrestlemania JR signed a 2 year contract. Not sure if thats confirmed though.

merc
Member # 125456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by merc:

Just out of curiosity, who are your favorite Top 5 current announcers?
Sorry just saw this. Top 5 in wrestling? Sorry not enough quality to get there. But some best of's:

John Harlan on BBall works.
Don Orsillo is spectacular on Baseball
Football most PbP guys are fine, it's the color guys that can ruin it...high hopes for Romo with a low bar to step over.

In this announcer's case, everything he says is with an air of crescendo. He reminds me of Jack Edwards the man responsible for ruining hockey for me. Not my flavor.

FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FantasyWrestlerDrew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only thing about Mauro that does irk me a little is the constant alliteration. I know he's known for things like that but it is in overdrive in WWE. Like pretty much everyone he's a caricature of himself or what a lot of wrestlers have said about their WWE runs, it is their personality dialed up 200%. Still I think he is the best announcer in the game today but its like all the little quirks that were subtle amplified by 200%. Nobody is perfect though. I don't think there is a current Gordon Solie or Vin Scully equivalent of wrestling announcer today but Mauro is damn good at what he does in WWE and light years better than anyone else they have. I might suggest Tom Phillips is very good too but really only when he's matched with Corey Graves. It isn't just an NXT bias for me. When they did a recent episode of 205 live, they were a perfect balance of calling the action, promoting the company, and character development.

JR confirmed the contract on twitter but from what I read it is only for certain "special" occasions and he's still allowed to do his other sports duties and still able to voice over NJPW shows on Axs. JR can be hit or miss with me these days but his call of the Taker/Reigns match was about as good as it gets.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations