WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Giant Haystacks (Loch Ness) slams reporter asking if wrestling is fake

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Giant Haystacks (Loch Ness) slams reporter asking if wrestling is fake
the bear
Member # 1565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hadn't seen this before

[ 03-20-2017, 03:29 AM: Message edited by: the bear ]

--------------------
Check out my Wrestling collection - Now over 14000 DVD's
http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee/

IP: Logged
The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice tie on Giant Haystacks.

--------------------
"If I had realized that you people would be so damned stupid as to give the world champion $750,000, I would have made myself the champion." — Ole Anderson, to the executives at WCW and WTBS

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Better than his 'match' with Big Daddy.

So long from the Sunshine State!

--------------------
If you lames are the master race, my money's on the mud people.---Andrew Vachss

Happ Hazzard
Member # 4893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Happ Hazzard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just in case there's any confusions, the laughs weren't there as part of the original show, it was later shown in a blooper show and the laughter is from that.
the bear
Member # 1565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask from FL:

first move I've seen him do that looks like it could hurt

--------------------

Vulture
Member # 10205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vulture     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where did the reporter ask if wrestling was fake? I didn't hear him ask that in the video. In any case, that was painful looking, drops him haphazardly.
Happ Hazzard
Member # 4893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Happ Hazzard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would imagine this was far more painful than the infamous Dave Schultz/John Stossell slap.
Tatsuya
Member # 80195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tatsuya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vulture:
Where did the reporter ask if wrestling was fake? I didn't hear him ask that in the video. In any case, that was painful looking, drops him haphazardly.

Doesn't seem like the reporter asked him if it was fake, just asked Haystacks if he would demonstrate a move on him.
Bcleah
Member # 5397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bcleah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

easy, easy...

[ 03-20-2017, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: Bcleah ]

Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Armageddon_T_Thunderbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bcleah:
quote:

easy, easy...
I don't know CM, if you're a fan of huge men crashing into each other repeatedly, then this would be the match for you.

The reporter did make a nice thump when he got slammed/dropped.

--------------------
Your uncrowned NWA Heavyweight Champion of the World.

Now on the twitter machine - @Armageddon_t-bird.

Vulture
Member # 10205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vulture     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatsuya:
quote:
Originally posted by Vulture:

Doesn't seem like the reporter asked him if it was fake, just asked Haystacks if he would demonstrate a move on him.
Right, I agree, so the thread title is misleading.
the bear
Member # 1565

Yeah sorry there is how I saw the vid tagged!!

--------------------

John Williamson
Member # 127199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Williamson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Question- I watched one of those timeline Kayfabe Commentaries videos with Kevin Sullivan where he talks about bringing in this guy as Loch Ness. Kevin says he was huge (fair enough), he looked like a monster (fair enough) and that he was a good worker (hmm). Was he? I watched him in England and all I ever saw him do was squashing people and bumping off Big Daddy and falling out of the ring. Did he ever do anything else? To be fair, when he was in WCW and obviously not in good health, he did take a bit more offense from people than I'd seen in England but he was still awful.

Was he ever any better in the ring?

Bcleah
Member # 5397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bcleah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by John Williamson:
Question- I watched one of those timeline Kayfabe Commentaries videos with Kevin Sullivan where he talks about bringing in this guy as Loch Ness. Kevin says he was huge (fair enough), he looked like a monster (fair enough) and that he was a good worker (hmm). Was he? I watched him in England and all I ever saw him do was squashing people and bumping off Big Daddy and falling out of the ring. Did he ever do anything else? To be fair, when he was in WCW and obviously not in good health, he did take a bit more offense from people than I'd seen in England but he was still awful.

Was he ever any better in the ring?

No, not really, his entire gimmick was being huge. He was that bad that when him and Daddy were a tag team in the mid 70s, Daddy was the worker...

That said, his peers suggest he very nice person in an era where many of the British stars were not.

A Daddy/Haystacks tag team match if you are that depressed you can watch it!:

[ 03-21-2017, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: Bcleah ]

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Armageddon_T_Thunderbird:
quote:
quote:

easy, easy...
I don't know CM, if you're a fan of huge men crashing into each other repeatedly,

and with very little impact

then this would be the match for you.

--------------------
If you lames are the master race, my money's on the mud people.---Andrew Vachss

the bear
Member # 1565

quote:
Originally posted by Armageddon_T_Thunderbird:
quote:
quote:

easy, easy...
I don't know CM, if you're a fan of huge men crashing into each other repeatedly, then this would be the match for you.

The reporter did make a nice thump when he got slammed/dropped.

18m people watched that

Considering the population difference that absolutely dwarfs Hogan-Andre on The Main Event

it's around a third of the UK population at the time although we did only have 3 tv channels at the time

[ 03-22-2017, 05:21 AM: Message edited by: the bear ]

--------------------

John Williamson
Member # 127199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Williamson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even as a kid I got sick of Daddy and Haystacks very quickly (though it was them that initially got me watching).

They are kind of seen as a joke in a lot of ways now but the populartiy of both was incredible. I don't know if the US have had a wrestling star as big as Daddy, relatively speaking. He was EVERYWHERE on TV in the 80s.

(Maybe Georgeous George in the early TV era, maybe some of the earlier pionerrs, but that's really apples and oranges as TV was key to big Daddy).

carpetbeggar
Member # 5768

Icon 2 posted      Profile for carpetbeggar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone tell me what 'Giant Haystacks' "shoot" height & weight was?

Also for those that watched him back in the day, what was his "kayfabe" measurements?

--------------------
闘魂 ビンタ FTW

Inoki is greater than Ichiban Hogan

"I just love seeing people beat with chains, and whips."- Johnny Valentine

Bcleah
Member # 5397

quote:
Originally posted by carpetbeggar:
Can anyone tell me what 'Giant Haystacks' "shoot" height & weight was?

Also for those that watched him back in the day, what was his "kayfabe" measurements?

I would say at his biggest he was a legit 6'7" and 450lbs. Kayfabe he was 6'11" and I heard him called in at 40 stones (560lbs).
John Williamson
Member # 127199

I think I remember him announced at an even greater weight than that, maybe 45stone or 50 stone.

To be honest I think he might have actually got near that weight at one point, maybe not while he was still wrestling. I think he was undoubtedly more than 450lbs at at least one point.

As far as legit height, I don't know, but I always remember him billed at 6'11".

Bcleah
Member # 5397

quote:
Originally posted by John Williamson:
I think I remember him announced at an even greater weight than that, maybe 45stone or 50 stone.

To be honest I think he might have actually got near that weight at one point, maybe not while he was still wrestling. I think he was undoubtedly more than 450lbs at at least one point.

As far as legit height, I don't know, but I always remember him billed at 6'11".

Yes post TV in the late 80s/early 90s he may have got to 500lbs before his illness.
John Williamson
Member # 127199

I can't find anything on it but I seem to remember a newspaper reporting that he had a massive tumour (like 100lbs+ or something)removed. This would've been in the '90s.
mikeyosmond
Member # 128654

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikeyosmond   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
18M? Quite the audience! As for the slam, it happened so quick the reporter got caught offguard.

--------------------
MV'S WRESTLING CENTER

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As awful as that match was, Paul McCartney ate it up. He was a big Haystacks mark and even wrote a role for the big guy in "Give My Regards to Broad Street."

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations