WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Street Fighter 2

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Street Fighter 2
A Gene Wilder Somersault
Member # 128207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Gene Wilder Somersault     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did anyone here play Street Fighter 2 or any of its incarnations in the 90's? If so, who was your go-to character and what characters did you struggle against?
IP: Logged
Dan P-170
Member # 32

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P-170     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Usually went with Balrog or Dhalsim.
Pbhero
Member # 81542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pbhero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup. Spent most of my youth in arcades in Toronto.

Blanka, E.Honda and Chun Li were my original go to characters.

Zangeif was later.

I couldn't master the semicircle Hadoken that was needed to be successful with Ken and Ryu.

Ken and Ryu were the top guys in the elimination matches of my youth.

When Hyper and some of the other add on incarnations came out...it got a bit too crazy...and I was strictly NBA Jamming.

I always thought they missed the boat on the Street Fighter II property. It was HUGE and was begging for exploitation and exploring....the movie with Van Damme was sooooo weak...soundtrack was good though.

Actually ran the table on one quarter at a retro arcade recently. Blanka.....I loved owning the hipster challengers who's excuses were "I grew up on the home system controllers."

doublenogginknocker
Member # 39765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublenogginknocker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My go-to guy was Guile, I found his array of moves the easiest to pull off and I would hit the mid-air backbreaker on opponents without even really planning it.

I probably found Ken the hardest AI opponent because he was programmed to be really aggressive. For human opponent, maybe Chun Li for being so fast.

Vulture
Member # 10205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vulture     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was a Ryu guy.
Future Endeavor
Member # 1470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future Endeavor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ryu or Ken

M Bison if it was championship edition

I like Alpha 2, especially with Akuma.

--------------------
You can take the Hockey out of Canada, but you can't take the Canadian out of Hockey.

http://www.facebook.com/thevoiceofyourchoice

mikeyosmond
Member # 128654

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikeyosmond   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Owned it on SNES. My faves were Ryu and Ken. Also played Champion and Turbo Editions at the Arcade and SNES. Remember the joke in the '90's that Capcom couldn't count to 3.
Future Endeavor
Member # 1470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future Endeavor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyosmond:
Owned it on SNES. My faves were Ryu and Ken. Also played Champion and Turbo Editions at the Arcade and SNES. Remember the joke in the '90's that Capcom couldn't count to 3.

3 came out 20 years ago during my first year of college. It was a disappointment. Alpha 1 & 2 were out and blew that game away.

--------------------
You can take the Hockey out of Canada, but you can't take the Canadian out of Hockey.

the bear
Member # 1565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
didn't play a lot but usually Guile or Blanka, used to struggle with Dhalsim

--------------------
Check out my Wrestling collection - Now over 14000 DVD's
http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee/

SLS
Member # 265

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
95 SNES Street Fighter Blockbuster video great times! Chun Li was my go to fighter
TerryR
Member # 5671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't play at the arcade too much but when when getting together with friends I usually played Chun Li because I knew how to do the helicopter kick. I remember playing Guile too.

As a somewhat related aside, I remember going to an arcade in Hamilton the first day (or weekend) that Mortal Kombat came out and watching two guys that I knew from school feeding quarters into it to learn the moves. That game captured my imagination even though I stunk at it.

Happ Hazzard
Member # 4893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Happ Hazzard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SF2 might be the most important game in videogame history. It basically created an entire genre (not that it was the first 1 vs 1 fighting game but it pretty much defined that genre from that point forward) and revitalized the arcade game which had been in the doldrums for a few years at that point. I used to go to the arcade every weekend around 93-94 and the Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo machines always had crowds of people around them watching and waiting to play.

[ 03-20-2017, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: Happ Hazzard ]

Vulture
Member # 10205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vulture     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Future Endeavor:
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyosmond:

3 came out 20 years ago during my first year of college. It was a disappointment. Alpha 1 & 2 were out and blew that game away.
Same here. SF Alpha 3 is my favorite of the series to this day.
habsfan87 from NL
Member # 8038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for habsfan87 from NL         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ken or Ryu
Rock-Hunter Kurt Austin from CHI
Member # 6360

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rock-Hunter Kurt Austin from CHI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First SNES game I owned. Loved the series since it came out. Still play Street Fighter II Turbo at least once a month on my Raspberry Pi 3 (Recalbox)

Alpha 2 is the best in it's series.

Played with Ken mostly, struggle with any charge move characters save E. Honda.

[ 03-20-2017, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: Rock-Hunter Kurt Austin from CHI ]

Jm
Member # 71

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ryu but tried Ken a few times. Ken was more explosive but felt Ryu was more steady if that makes sense. Plus Ryu had the best ending.

Number 2 was either Guile or Honda for me but used all the fighters one time or another.

[ 03-20-2017, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: Jm ]

Future Endeavor
Member # 1470

Don't forget SF vs. X-Men or Marvel vs. Capcom.

--------------------

Qaenos
Member # 6452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Qaenos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pbhero:

Me too! Which arcades? When I was a kid in the early 80s, I used to go to Video Invasion at Parkway Mall in Scarborough. Then I went to Wizard's Castle in Scarborough Town Center and later bought the Doule Dragon machine they sold. As a teenager, most of the arcades closed down except for the ones on Yonge St. The one at Yonge/Dundas "Pinball Fun for the Family" I went to quite a bit.

Getting back to SF2, to me that game was the beginning of the end of the golden age of arcade games. It was the first time since the beginning (i.e. Space Invaders, Donkey Kong, etc.) that they really started filling up arcades with multiple copies of the same game. SF2 was so popular, that you'd go to an arcade and see five or six of them in a row. If you were a big SF2 fan, it was great, but for someone like me, I resented the fact that they got rid of 5 other games to make room for more SF2s....arcades quickly went downhill after that (at least from what I experienced).

Matt Prentice
Member # 127729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Prentice   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our local arcade never had it, but I invested a fair amount of time into SF II and SF II Turbo on Super Nintendo. Was mostly a Zangief or Chung Li player.
Pbhero
Member # 81542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pbhero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Qaenos:
quote:
Originally posted by Pbhero:

Me too! Which arcades? When I was a kid in the early 80s, I used to go to Video Invasion at Parkway Mall in Scarborough. Then I went to Wizard's Castle in Scarborough Town Center and later bought the Doule Dragon machine they sold. As a teenager, most of the arcades closed down except for the ones on Yonge St. The one at Yonge/Dundas "Pinball Fun for the Family" I went to quite a bit.

Nice. Wizard's Castle at the Scarborough Town was my first mainstay...then when I hit 13, I would only venture to Younge and Dundas...where there were 3 arcades...2 side by side, and one almost directly across the street. Good times. It's a shame they're all gone....I was in Vancouver last year, and they have one...which is almost EXACTLY like the ones in the 80's.

I sent many a quarter, cheap elbowing my way to finishing that Double Dragon game you have. Melted nubs of plastic where cigarettes would be rested on.

I spent a lot of time in local convenience stores who would have a Ms. Pacman, a NARC, Ratan or the original Street Fighter II....Karate Champ....which I could finish still to this day.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations