WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Giving a percentage of earnings to your trainer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Giving a percentage of earnings to your trainer
DR. PAPUFNIK
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DR. PAPUFNIK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both Iron Sheik and Flair have talked about Gagne wanting a percentage of their earnings for a fixed number of years for breaking them in. In more modern times I know some wrestling school owners want a percentage of contracts signed. How common was this in the territory days and how common is it now? If it's ethical at all, what was a percentage and length of time that was reasonable?
IP: Logged
FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FantasyWrestlerDrew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My trainer told all of us in 2002 if we ever "made it big" with a guaranteed contract the standard was 10% of your first salary. Only person to make it big was Luke Harper and he he had heat with our original trainer so I'd say it was highly unlikely he paid off. I never asked even though I still keep in contact with our trainer. I never liked discussing pay offs.

[ 03-18-2017, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: FantasyWrestlerDrew ]

Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure it was all that common. Truth is there really weren't that many "schools" for wrestling. And there weren't many training camps like the ones Verne Gagne set up.

In Verne's case I do not think it would be unethical. Truth is Verne did not collect a fee to train the guys he broke in, and Verne had a really good track record for breaking guys in and them going on to be successful. So in some cases those guys may have owed something to Verne.

--------------------
follow me on twitter at: @mattfarmer93
www.defywrestling.com
http://mlwradio.com/

UCW SLAM
Member # 2353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UCW SLAM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you nailed it when you brought up the point that Verne didn't charge guys to train them. It seems acceptable to expect a percentage of you break a guy in for no charge. Now with schools charging it seems unethical and I don't know why anyone would agree to it. I know the Hardys dislike Italian Stallion and George South because he they took a percentage when they'd drive guys to New York for RAW tapings. I never understood the heat when the office contacting Stalliab for talent and he supplied it, gave the boys an opportunity to work and gave them a ride. Maybe there's more to that story though.
Corkscrew Elbow
Member # 123008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corkscrew Elbow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to change the subject but this reminded me of something else. Most have heard the story of Gagne wanting a percentage of Hogan's Japan money. Was this common?
Stephen Gennarelli
Member # 21747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Gennarelli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was checking to see if Roland Alexander's name was going to come up. RIP
Happ Hazzard
Member # 4893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Happ Hazzard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought Verne did charge guys? Larry Hennig has spoken before about being annoyed that Verne charged him to train Curt after Larry had been working for the AWA for years.
Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Happ Hazzard:
I thought Verne did charge guys? Larry Hennig has spoken before about being annoyed that Verne charged him to train Curt after Larry had been working for the AWA for years.

He may have started later, but not in the early years of his camp.

--------------------
follow me on twitter at: @mattfarmer93
www.defywrestling.com
http://mlwradio.com/

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My take is that it's no different than a college loan (at least in Verne's case). He trained them well, then got them work. And he really was the "Harvard" in that realm.

--------------------
"Okay fun is fun but enough is enough, and so on. We do not need half the front page beening Tocus threads. The old ones have been kicked over to the Markley forum...otherwise the whole gimmick can go over there." --Crimson Mask, 3/18/11

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by UCW SLAM:
I know the Hardys dislike Italian Stallion and George South because he they took a percentage when they'd drive guys to New York for RAW tapings.

There are so many better reasons to dislike Stallion.

--------------------
"Okay fun is fun but enough is enough, and so on. We do not need half the front page beening Tocus threads. The old ones have been kicked over to the Markley forum...otherwise the whole gimmick can go over there." --Crimson Mask, 3/18/11

Future Endeavor
Member # 1470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future Endeavor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Gennarelli:
I was checking to see if Roland Alexander's name was going to come up. RIP

Yeah, I thought of posting that when he said about Mike Modest's % on Beyond the Mat.

--------------------
You can take the Hockey out of Canada, but you can't take the Canadian out of Hockey.

http://www.facebook.com/thevoiceofyourchoice

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations