WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Al Snow vs. Sabu Ladder Match NWA '94

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Al Snow vs. Sabu Ladder Match NWA '94
TheBob
Member # 123058

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lately, I've been searching YouTube and other video sites to find matches that I otherwise would never see. I remember a 3PW show in 2004 promoting an Al Snow/Sabu match as a "10 years in the making." type of deal.

I stumbled upon a series of matches they had in '94 and decided to write up a review of their ladder match in Michigan for the NWA. I'm kind of curious if anyone here had seen their matches during that time and perhaps what kind of praise they were getting?

https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2017/03/15/the-match-8-al-snow-vs-sabu-in-nwa-94/

IP: Logged
Greg Ganja
Member # 1677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg Ganja     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The stuff these guys were doing still looks insane NOW.

Would this hardcore, crazy stunt style still evolve if the territories had not died?

--------------------
Your old lady's old lady has got skinnier legs!!!
---
And BABY DOLL...shame on you mama...cause I know you better than anyone!

Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Sabu/Al Snow matches are what gave Al Snow some indy cred which lead to him getting jobs with ECW and Smokey Mountain.

These series of matches were highly sought after in the tape trading circles. Truth is ALL Sabu matches were hot items in the tape trading circles at the time.

--------------------
follow me on twitter at: @mattfarmer93
www.defywrestling.com
http://mlwradio.com/

ZEKER
Member # 4727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ZEKER         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, Sean Waltman was promoting the Michigan NWA events at this time using Dennis Coraluzzo's membership. No one at the time was claiming Michigan's territory which opened up for him to use the NWA name there...

This as the timeframe they were promoting the "NWA World Independant title"

Dan P-170
Member # 32

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P-170     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe it was actually Sabu and John "Pee Wee" Moore's (ECW referee) promotion with involvement from Coralluzzo.
Handsome Rob from LA
Member # 6317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Handsome Rob from LA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always wanted to see the infamous Snow/Sabu match that involved Terry Funk and started a brawl all around the arena between the three of them.

--------------------
"Yeah I found the love of my life. But I killed her dog before I had the chance to tell her." Sam Elliott from the movie Shakedown

TheBob
Member # 123058

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Handsome Rob from LA:
I've always wanted to see the infamous Snow/Sabu match that involved Terry Funk and started a brawl all around the arena between the three of them.

I may have found what your referencing...

Handsome Rob from LA
Member # 6317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Handsome Rob from LA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheBob:
quote:
Originally posted by Handsome Rob from LA:

I may have found what your referencing...

That has to be it. And as crazy as I thought. Thanks

--------------------
"Yeah I found the love of my life. But I killed her dog before I had the chance to tell her." Sam Elliott from the movie Shakedown

ltp711
Member # 8527

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ltp711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ZEKER:
IIRC, Sean Waltman was promoting the Michigan NWA events at this time using Dennis Coraluzzo's membership. No one at the time was claiming Michigan's territory which opened up for him to use the NWA name there...

This as the timeframe they were promoting the "NWA World Independant title"

Michigan's territory????? Ummm the Al Snow vs. Sabu matches that took place in the Detroit area in that time frame were basic Indy cards promoted and run by locals. If I remember right the group that ran shows in Lincoln Park was different from the group that ran cards in Taylor, they brought in a lot of the same guys mainly due to who was out there at the time.

I went to a few of the Snow/Sabu matches in Taylor and they were great, I didn't make this one which was in either Lincoln Park or Dearborn.

Also that ring is still in use!

Dan P-170
Member # 32

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P-170     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After looking up information on these cards different people were involved in the promotion of them depending on time and location but they all basically revolved around Sabu.

It's ludicrous to say that there was still a "Michigan territory" at this time, or even that the NWA considered there to be one. In the 1994-95 timeframe when these cards were being held the anemic NWA membership only consisted of ECW, Dennis Coralluzzo, Jim Crockett, and Howard Brody in the United States and a couple of international holdouts like Steve & Tony Rickard in New Zealand, Larry O'Day in Australia, and I think Victor Quiñones became involved with IWA Japan.

By 1995 it was just Coralluzzo and Brody left in the States (ECW pulled out after the double cross, Crockett was kicked out but still running under the NWA name in Texas before shutting down, and the old "territories" in Oceania were dead) with only Coralluzzo promoting shows on any kind of regular basis.

[ 03-20-2017, 07:45 AM: Message edited by: Dan P-170 ]

ZEKER
Member # 4727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ZEKER         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For God's sakes people, quit analyzing the phrase "Michigan Territory" like it was meant to envoke this is the hey day of the NWA--- they used Coraluzzo's NWA membership to use the NWA name in Michigan because there was no one there who was using the NWA name. that's it. There were a few guys who eventually joined the NWA later on and claimed the state. I was merely pointing out no one was promoting the state at the time as a full time member and it was open...
ltp711
Member # 8527

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ltp711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ZEKER:
For God's sakes people, quit analyzing the phrase "Michigan Territory" like it was meant to envoke this is the hey day of the NWA--- they used Coraluzzo's NWA membership to use the NWA name in Michigan because there was no one there who was using the NWA name. that's it. There were a few guys who eventually joined the NWA later on and claimed the state. I was merely pointing out no one was promoting the state at the time as a full time member and it was open...

I don't remember anyone using the "NWA" name at this time and the years to follow. Dan Severn since he was sorta local would defend the NWA belt on local cards but none of them ever billed themselves as an NWA promotion, just that NWA Champ Severn was on the card and I doubt that helped move any tickets since he was so out of place in that timeframe.

If Coraluzzo scammed some rube promoters out in the sticks into thinking they had a "claim" to the Michigan Territory shame on him, that $500 NWA entry fee could have been used to pay the boys who busted their ass on the card.

Dan P-170
Member # 32

There were no NWA "territories" again until the late 90s when promoters started joining after the WWF brought them in for the "invasion" angle. Prior to that it was just Coralluzzo and a couple others promoting under the NWA name.

I don't know if the promoters of these cards were paying Coralluzzo for the right to use "NWA", but as a dues paying member he had an ownership stake in the trademark and IMO was certainly entitled to a licensing fee for providing the name if he was not directly involved in the promotion.

[ 03-21-2017, 04:08 AM: Message edited by: Dan P-170 ]

jlaroccapremier
Member # 118762

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlaroccapremier   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a Sabu v Al Snow match in which they brawled all over the building and Sabu did a tumble from the top of the bleacher and damn near to the floor. It was just nuts. Remember it actually being a pretty good match for the time.

I remember the Ladder match. Some crazy stuff, but I remember after so much hype, I was let down after finally seeing it on tape.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations