WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Lucha Underground on Netflix

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lucha Underground on Netflix
habsfan87 from NL
Member # 8038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for habsfan87 from NL         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any other first time watchers? I watched the first episide. Not a big ifan of intergender matches, but overall I liked it.
IP: Logged
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's fun. You just have to keep saying "it's a TV show set in the world of wrestling." Like a Santo movie.
Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Armageddon_T_Thunderbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've only watched certain matches that have been posted, but now that it's on netflix, I'll start watching the shows.

--------------------
Your uncrowned NWA Heavyweight Champion of the World.

Now on the twitter machine - @Armageddon_t-bird.

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The scenes (I refuse to call them "skits") that tie it together are heads and shoulders above anything WWE could even attempt to do.

That first ep where Sexy Starr talked about living a life of fear filled with abuse before she put on the mask gave me chills. It gave it a certain weight that Vince & Dunn would never get in a million years. And the subtle look on Chavo Jr.'s face as Dario lectures him and references his family was so good.

mckinneydg
Member # 48545

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mckinneydg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My finally give this a look now that it's on Netflix.

--------------------
South Atlanta Wrestling

The Saviour of Misbehaviour
Member # 4152

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Saviour of Misbehaviour     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's also on El Rey network Wed. nights. Once you get adjusted to the concept , it usually delivers so e great action. The new generation of masks are amazing, like Drago's.

--------------------
“Hearing the words, ‘The land of the free and home of the brave’ means something special for every American, every day,” Harris added later in his speech. “But today, on Dec. 7, it takes on extraordinary significance.”

Gabba Hey
Member # 20936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabba Hey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just checked out the first 2 episodes on Netflix. I was very skeptical on if it was for me. But have enjoyed it very much. It's a fresh idea, and not really as " Off the Wall" as I thought it would be. I'll definitely binge it.

--------------------
Im your huckleberry - Tombstone -- Sometimes to beat the bully. you have to be the bully. Michael Jordan. vs the Pistons

Bnicholas
Member # 23863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bnicholas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by habsfan87 from NL:
Any other first time watchers? I watched the first episide. Not a big ifan of intergender matches, but overall I liked it.

if you don't like intergender matches you are going to learn to hate it then. Many feel the push of Sexy Star ruined the show
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

One thing I admire about LU (particularly in the first season), is that they created compelling television with maybe a dozen regular wrestlers (similar to what Joe Blanchard used to do in San Antonio). That doesn't work as well when you marathon the shows but spread out over several weeks, it creates a level of focus that promotions don't have enough of these days. Only pity is that their audience isn't huge.
Risk aka Rob
Member # 8193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Risk aka Rob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just put it on because I discovered on this very thread that it's on Netflix. So just watching the start of the first episode right now. No opinion yet, obviously.

--------------------
Please SUBSCRIBE to my GamesNew2Me video game YouTube channel. YouTube.com/GamesNew2Me

Jm
Member # 71

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched a few episodes now that is available. Not bad and have enjoyed it but had also had a chance to see 2-3 episodes when it aired first run.
Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's some great matches with some excellent talent.

As time goes one the "writing" feels like a one trick pony. So many things are rushed and so many pieces of talent are not protected.

There are many things I really like about Lucha Underground. There are a lot of things that make me cringe, even when I suspend belief. I must admit, this past season I have not watched. It's sitting on my DVR and I really need to commit some time to catch up.

--------------------
email me at: inferno4l@hotmail.com
follow me on twitter at: @mattfarmer93
http://mlwradio.com/

Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Armageddon_T_Thunderbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a few shows in on the first season and am enjoying it so far.

Watched the intro of Sexy Star and her first match. This is just my take on it, but if you're going to have a character like that, with her backstory, then why would you have her lose her first match like that against a man? She had her spots, but was basically thrown around by Son of Havok, beaten and pinned.

I know she got her revenge in the next show, but it just seemed backwards to me.

--------------------

OSJ from NM by way of WA
Member # 6136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OSJ from NM by way of WA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Armageddon_T_Thunderbird:

Watched the intro of Sexy Star and her first match. This is just my take on it, but if you're going to have a character like that, with her backstory, then why would you have her lose her first match like that against a man? She had her spots, but was basically thrown around by Son of Havok, beaten and pinned.

I know she got her revenge in the next show, but it just seemed backwards to me.

Actually, anytime that the answer is "Sexy Star", the wrong question has been asked. There are two types of inter-gender lucha matches. There's one type that features competent performers selling everything thing in proper perspective, (the women aren't going to have the raw power spots that the men have, conversely,they'll show an edge in speed and frequently in technique). These are the vast majority of inter-gender lucha matches and I commend them to you utterly. Then you have "Type Two", these are frequently trios matches wherein you have five capable performers trying their level best to hide the sub-par work of Sexy Star. Occasionally, a very brave and selfless performer such as Son of Havoc will attempt to drag a decent singles match out of Sexy Star. This is an effort foredoomed to failure as no individual wrestler is that good.

In a decade+ of wrestling some of the very best in the world, and even more than that, having had the opportunity to study some of the true greats from a front row vantage point. Sexy Star has managed to learn nothing, improve not one iota, and get pushed to the moon because she's married to a famous soccer player (it IS soccer, isn't it?).

Listening to her absolutely soul-less "girl power" promos is vomit inducing, she is the very antithesis of the character they've given her to play. Imagine what a woman like Faby Apache could do with that role. See, if she starts talking about having to fight to survive growing up in a wrestling family, I'm believing every word she says. They could have had just about any woman in Mexico or Japan assigned the gimmick that's been given to Sexy Star and it would have been a better choice. I'm hard-pressed to think of a worse one...

--------------------
"What you say sounds reasonable enough," said the man, "but I refuse to be bribed. I am here to whip people, and whip them I shall!")
-Franz Kafka - The Trial

Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

quote:
Originally posted by OSJ from NM by way of WA:
quote:
Originally posted by Armageddon_T_Thunderbird:

Actually, anytime that the answer is "Sexy Star", the wrong question has been asked. There are two types of inter-gender lucha matches. There's one type that features competent performers selling everything thing in proper perspective, (the women aren't going to have the raw power spots that the men have, conversely,they'll show an edge in speed and frequently in technique). These are the vast majority of inter-gender lucha matches and I commend them to you utterly. Then you have "Type Two", these are frequently trios matches wherein you have five capable performers trying their level best to hide the sub-par work of Sexy Star. Occasionally, a very brave and selfless performer such as Son of Havoc will attempt to drag a decent singles match out of Sexy Star. This is an effort foredoomed to failure as no individual wrestler is that good.

In a decade+ of wrestling some of the very best in the world, and even more than that, having had the opportunity to study some of the true greats from a front row vantage point. Sexy Star has managed to learn nothing, improve not one iota, and get pushed to the moon because she's married to a famous soccer player (it IS soccer, isn't it?).

Listening to her absolutely soul-less "girl power" promos is vomit inducing, she is the very antithesis of the character they've given her to play. Imagine what a woman like Faby Apache could do with that role. See, if she starts talking about having to fight to survive growing up in a wrestling family, I'm believing every word she says. They could have had just about any woman in Mexico or Japan assigned the gimmick that's been given to Sexy Star and it would have been a better choice. I'm hard-pressed to think of a worse one...

So I'm sensing that you are not the president of the Sexy Star fan club. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Despite the things I do like about LU, sometimes they do the TNA/indie rasslin' thing of being too clusterf*uckery (even though they are technically superbly focused at getting individual wrestlers over).

Like in the 2nd ep (for those of you just starting), they put Chavo & Sexy Star in a tag team, then had him do a "heel turn" (?) on Blue Demon Jr. (who may or may not have been a heel himself) later in the show. When Sexy Star came down to try to stop him, he nailed her with a chair (which I thought was complete overkill).

1. They weren't together as a "team" long enough for the audience to form an emotional bond with their "friendship" (which has to occur in order for the split to actually mean anything). Ray Stevens & Pat Patterson were together for years before they feuded. That's why the feud was meaningful. This was pure WWE in that they put two people together strictly for the purposes of a split (in this case, about 20 minutes later, as opposed to the several week-waiting period in the WWE).

2. Chavo turning on Sexy Star distracted from Blue Demon's stretcher job.

3. The following episode, Sexy Star didn't return with fire in her eyes, looking for revenge on Chavo. She went after Son of Havoc and Ivelisse instead.

Entertaining as hell but still enough plot holes to drive a truck through.

[ 03-22-2017, 06:45 AM: Message edited by: Shaving Weezie Jefferson ]

Matt Prentice
Member # 127729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Prentice   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried to give it a chance, but threw in the towel. To me, it came off as an amped-up version of nearly everything that I dislike about the modern WWE product. Spots, swerves, heel authority figures, and all the other tropes at a frenetic pace.
The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've enjoyed it. Had no idea Prince Puma was Richochet.

--------------------
"If I had realized that you people would be so damned stupid as to give the world champion $750,000, I would have made myself the champion." — Ole Anderson, to the executives at WCW and WTBS

Travlr
Administrator
Member # 4304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travlr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's on Netflix Canada, too (which is never a guarantee with Netflix). So I may actually get a chance to catch it sometime soon.

--------------------
The Traveller
a fan since '68....

"Reputation is what others think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. The friction tends to arise when the two are not the same.... Guard your honor; let your reputation fall where it may."

Risk aka Rob
Member # 8193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Risk aka Rob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on episode 2 and I'm going to nitpick that I don't like the yellow filter they are seemingly using, the almost sepia tone just doesn't do it for me and I'm not a fan of the editing.

I'll keep you posted, cause I know you're all waiting with baited breath to hear my thoughts on everything else.

--------------------
Please SUBSCRIBE to my GamesNew2Me video game YouTube channel. YouTube.com/GamesNew2Me

Cynthia Celeste Miller from KS
Member # 3471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cynthia Celeste Miller from KS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's, by far, my favorite wrestling show currently on TV. NXT used to be fairly close, but I have to really struggle to remain at all interested in it these days.

LU has its flaws, but it never fails to entertain me. I can't say that for any of the other wrestling shows.

--------------------
Cynthia Celeste Miller
Spectrum Games

Check out my band, Eminent Remains, on Facebook.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations