WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Best Periods in Your Favorite Territory/Promotion?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best Periods in Your Favorite Territory/Promotion?
TylerStanMan
Member # 127142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TylerStanMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have a lot of fans from many geographic regions and age groups here. What is the best period of your territories big promotion?
IP: Logged
Alfred Ticineto,
Member # 1855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alfred Ticineto,   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The WWW F - 1974 to 75. Bruno Sammartino had a wild (and bloody) feud with Bobby Duncum. The Valiant Brothers came in and ran roughshod over the tag team scene. Spiros Arion came in as a baby face (and former partner of Bruno), and had a very hot heal turn angle (while teaming with Chief Jay Strongbow against the Valiants), and embarked on a huge feud against Bruno. Also, Ivan Putski debuted, and quickly became one of the most popular wrestlers in the territory. In all very memorable period for WWWF fans.

[ 03-16-2017, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: Alfred Ticineto, ]

Stephen Gennarelli
Member # 21747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Gennarelli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WWWF 1976...my first year as a fan and Bruno's last full year as a Champ. Very exciting year with the top heels of that era challenging Bruno (SBG, Koloff and Ladd) and then the neck breaking match with Hansen, the "resurrection" of Bruno at Shea Stadium and the blow off cage match at MSG. Plus the debut of Bruiser Brody, the return of Stan Stasiak and the arrival of Ken Patera. On top of that, there was a phenomenal undercard feud between Albano's Executioners team (Studd & Kowalski) vs. Strongbow/White Wolf who the fans just were crazy about back then. That year hooked me for life.
RichATL
Member # 126586

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RichATL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Georgia Championship Wrestling: Fall 1977 - Winter 1983
evensout
Member # 5985

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evensout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CWF from 65 to 76
The Average Malenko
Member # 3504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Average Malenko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by evensout:
CWF from 65 to 76

What he said
WahooFan
Member # 2026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WahooFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mid-Atlantic from around 77 to 84.

--------------------
Arnold Palmer: "Gary Player eats bacon when no one's watching."

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Average Malenko:
quote:
Originally posted by evensout:
CWF from 65 to 76

What he said
I'd cut a year or two off each end but yup.

So long from the Sunshine State!

--------------------
If you lames are the master race, my money's on the mud people.---Andrew Vachss

The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RichATL:
Georgia Championship Wrestling: Fall 1977 - Winter 1983

This

--------------------
"If I had realized that you people would be so damned stupid as to give the world champion $750,000, I would have made myself the champion." — Ole Anderson, to the executives at WCW and WTBS

The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WahooFan:
Mid-Atlantic from around 77 to 84.

And this

--------------------
"If I had realized that you people would be so damned stupid as to give the world champion $750,000, I would have made myself the champion." — Ole Anderson, to the executives at WCW and WTBS

davephlegmball
Member # 5163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davephlegmball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sure i am in the vast minority, but ECW 93--95.
Travlr
Administrator
Member # 4304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travlr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Arguments could be made for Toronto's 1941-1948 period that saw Whipper Billy Watson first headline the promotion, leading to his 1947 NWAssoc. title win over Bill Longson -- as well as his famous feud with Nanjo Singh -- or for 1969 to 1974 which was the period of The Sheik's long unbeaten streak that filled MLG to capacity (and over) repeatedly.

Vancouver never really had as hot a period as nearly every other promotion when you look at CWF or Georgia or Amarillo or LA, but the 1971-1973 period was undoubtedly a high point in their existence, with the Bob Brown/John Quinn v. Dutch Savage/Stephen Little Bear which packed them in for a year. What was remarkable about that was that co-owner Gene Kiniski was out of the ring for at least one-half that time after an accident at his home that supposedly came close to making him lose his hand (or so the story goes). And Kiniski at that time was still a big draw, so for that tag-team feud to be able to cover so well speaks to the interest it gathered at the time.

--------------------
The Traveller
a fan since '68....

"Reputation is what others think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. The friction tends to arise when the two are not the same.... Guard your honor; let your reputation fall where it may."

King Francis
Member # 24068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for King Francis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Detroit.. anytime up till the last years

--------------------
When I said that was the most ignorant thing I ever heard, I didn't realize you were still talking.

Mississippi fan
Member # 444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mississippi fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For Tri-States, 1970-73, 75-79. Mid-South 1984-85.
merc
Member # 125456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder where the "best of" periods line up with the fan's age.

For me, I grew up in WWWF territory, loving Chief Jay Strongbow. Bruno wasn't on TV, nor was he doing secondary market appearances, so CJS was THE face.

But best period was the mid/late 80's NWA when Rude & Wahoo were teaming up, the 4 Horsemen, Road Warriors, etc. That wrestling style, the shows ending in havoc was new and amazing to a more mature fan.

WahooFan
Member # 2026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WahooFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by merc:
I wonder where the "best of" periods line up with the fan's age.

For me, I grew up in WWWF territory, loving Chief Jay Strongbow. Bruno wasn't on TV, nor was he doing secondary market appearances, so CJS was THE face.

But best period was the mid/late 80's NWA when Rude & Wahoo were teaming up, the 4 Horsemen, Road Warriors, etc. That wrestling style, the shows ending in havoc was new and amazing to a more mature fan.

For the NWA, I see what you're saying, but for me there was almost too much going on. You always knew there was going to be a run-in on a horseman match among other things that drove me crazy.

As for the WWWF, I've always wondered what would have happened if Wahoo hadn't caused trouble with the office years earlier. Does he take the place of Strongbow? Take that spot to levels Strongbow couldn't reach? Or, because he's Wahoo, does he do his own thing and move on after a couple of years?
OR, all of the above?

[ 03-17-2017, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: WahooFan ]

--------------------
Arnold Palmer: "Gary Player eats bacon when no one's watching."

vitaminpurple
Member # 63626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vitaminpurple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ECW - 1995-97
hate sports entertainment
Member # 126344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hate sports entertainment     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JCP Summer 1985-Starrcade 1986. HOT, HOT, HOT!
phinney6
Member # 1861

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phinney6     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the minority but Spring/Summer of 1988 JCP. Summer of 1986 is a close second.

--------------------
-Phinney

sam the lion from WA
Member # 1154

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sam the lion from WA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pacific Northwest (Portland) Summer of 1976 to Christmas 1977.

1980 Piper-Rose

1983 Rose Face Turn until he goes East.

January 1989-July 1989

--------------------
The magic, that is on those tapes, you don't own THAT!!

Reid Rothchild

p-man from MD
Member # 937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for p-man from MD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Southeastern in the late seventies was great, with Les Thatcher announcing.
BERT from NJ
Member # 4090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BERT from NJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alfred Ticineto,:
The WWW F - 1974 to 75. Bruno Sammartino had a wild (and bloody) feud with Bobby Duncum. The Valiant Brothers came in and ran roughshod over the tag team scene. Spiros Arion came in as a baby face (and former partner of Bruno), and had a very hot heal turn angle (while teaming with Chief Jay Strongbow against the Valiants), and embarked on a huge feud against Bruno. Also, Ivan Putski debuted, and quickly became one of the most popular wrestlers in the territory. In all very memorable period for WWWF fans.

quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Gennarelli:
WWWF 1976...my first year as a fan and Bruno's last full year as a Champ. Very exciting year with the top heels of that era challenging Bruno (SBG, Koloff and Ladd) and then the neck breaking match with Hansen, the "resurrection" of Bruno at Shea Stadium and the blow off cage match at MSG. Plus the debut of Bruiser Brody, the return of Stan Stasiak and the arrival of Ken Patera. On top of that, there was a phenomenal undercard feud between Albano's Executioners team (Studd & Kowalski) vs. Strongbow/White Wolf who the fans just were crazy about back then. That year hooked me for life.

This is when I came along also, and the territory just seemed to explode in popularity at this time. This was the period where they opened the Felt Forum up to handle the overflow MSG crowds, and frequently sold that venue out also. I will add to the previous posts, the popularity of the Dean Ho and Tony Garea team, and really establishing Captain Lou as the defacto lead heel in the promotion, as the "guiding light" and manager of the perennial tag champs. He also managed the Blackjacks to the straps in betweent the Valiants and Executioners. If you want to extend into 1977, you saw the debut of AWA icon, Baron von Raschke in the WWWF. The title win and subsequent heel title run of Superstar Graham vs long time established area faces getting their "first" title shots, and bringing in world famous babyface stars such as Mil Mascaras and Dusty Rhodes for title programs and challenges.

Personally I would also add LA late 74-76, Georgia late 79 through 81. WWF 84-87, JCP 85-87, ECW 93-95, UFC 93-96, WCW 95-96, WWF 97-2001 as other times I have immensly enjoyed wrestling promotions.

[ 03-19-2017, 07:43 AM: Message edited by: BERT from NJ ]

--------------------
"Kneel before Zod"
General Zod

"You're a little out of order yourself-You insulted him a little bit, you insulted him A LITTLE BIT"
Jimmy the Gent Conway

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Stephen Gennarelli
Member # 21747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Gennarelli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bert, great wrap up and I agree about WWF "the expansion years" '84-'87 was a mostly fun ride and way better than the junk that would follow in '88 and beyond for WWF.
Larry
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by merc:
But best period was the mid/late 80's NWA when Rude & Wahoo were teaming up

Wahoo and Rude never teamed. They feuded in late 86/early 87. You may have meant Rude & Manny Fernandez teaming up in 86 and winning the NWA World Tag Team titles (JCP version).

--------------------
First they broke the mold...then they made me!

Jonbek1
Member # 4726

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonbek1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mississippi fan:
For Tri-States, 1970-73, 75-79. Mid-South 1984-85.

I would agree. I especially liked the early 70s period after Tom Jones came in and thought from mid'76 until the split McGuirk's promotion really picked up.
For Mid-South I would add 1981-82.

--------------------
"All you people out there in TV land get on your phones and call somebody. You tell them that the 'Big Cat' Ernie Ladd is coming to town." Ernie Ladd, MidSouth Wrestling 1980-82.

midsouthfan from N.O.
Member # 1508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for midsouthfan from N.O.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1982 was my favorite Mid South year. That crew was amazing - JYD, Dibiase, Murdoch, Olympia, Samoan, Orndorff, Roop, Orton, etc
Soletaker
Member # 1564

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Soletaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JCP 85-87

Plus I need to mention WWF 80 being that was the year I became a fan with the Larry/Bruno feud.

[ 03-21-2017, 03:45 AM: Message edited by: Soletaker ]

Mon-Ray-Al
Member # 3439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mon-Ray-Al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Gennarelli:

I wonder if there are any of that stuff available.

--------------------
THE FIRE WITHIN

Stephen Gennarelli
Member # 21747

You tube has the Bruno/Hansen MSG cage match, some Bruno vs. Patera matches and some Bruno vs. SBG matches.
But sadly the tv episodes with interviews hyping the matches has yet to emerge. Hopefully they will someday.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations