WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Championship Wrestling from Florida questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Championship Wrestling from Florida questions
MIDNIGHT RAIDER
Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MIDNIGHT RAIDER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been watching lots of 84-86 CWF on YouTube lately and it makes me wonder.
Why did Solie keep referring to Bob Roop and not Maya Singh?
He consistently referred to The Purple Haze and not Mark Lewin.
An adjacent question about Lewin. On the rare occasion, at least to my knowledge, that he was babyface, did his style eer really change?
I know he was babyface in Detroit and fought Sheik so I understand the roughhouse rule breaking style, but wjhat about other programs?
Just right now I saw a 6-man match with Mutoh teaming with Kendall Windham and Tyree Pride as a babyface. What is the backstory there?
Why did Gordon feel the need to bring Ron Slinker on in color commentary? He is the second-worst commentator I have ever experienced. Only Mark Madden is more inane.

IP: Logged
Xontar
Member # 2235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xontar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Mark Lewin was primarily a baby-face for the first 20 years of his career, which goes back to the 50s, so it wasn't all that rare. I could be wrong, but I don't think he became a heel until the 80s.

[ 03-16-2017, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: Xontar ]

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're wrong. Lewin and Don Curtis turned heel as a team in 1962. Mark started doing the Maniac gimmick as a single in 1964.

I'm guessing the Roop/Lewin idea was that Kevin had specificially brainwashed Roop, but that Lewin just came in as Haze with no recent history in the area.

Mark worked very different as a babyface.

Muta was in as the White Ninja. Nobody knew him yet.

Slinker your guess is as good as mine. Maybe he just froze when the tape was rolling.

So long from the Sunshine State!

[ 03-16-2017, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: Crimson Mask from FL ]

--------------------

MIDNIGHT RAIDER
Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MIDNIGHT RAIDER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the time I first saw him in Dallas in the 70's he was heel. Any time I saw him in the Carolinas he was heel as well as Florida.
But you very well may be correct on how he started his career. (I know CM s correct)

[ 03-16-2017, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: MIDNIGHT RAIDER ]

davephlegmball
Member # 5163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davephlegmball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of you are confusing "heel turn" with "seeing the light."
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MIDNIGHT RAIDER:
From the time I first saw him in Dallas in the 70's he was heel. Any time I saw him in the Carolinas he was heel as well as Florida.
But you very well may be correct on how he started his career. (I know CM s correct)

Heel in Georgia too.

--------------------
"Okay fun is fun but enough is enough, and so on. We do not need half the front page beening Tocus threads. The old ones have been kicked over to the Markley forum...otherwise the whole gimmick can go over there." --Crimson Mask, 3/18/11

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He had come into Florida a few times as a babyface, but he hadn't been back in maybe 10 years when he came in as Haze.

--------------------

Frogs
Member # 51578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frogs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On Bob Roop / Maya Singh. I remember watching the Singh's first TV appearance. Solie was like, "Wait a minute! I recognize that guy! Its Bob Roop! What has Sullivan done to Bob Roop?!"

I could be wrong, but I thought Solie calling him Roop was to sell Sullivan's powers of getting people to join his group and brainwash them. Especially since Roop was already well known in FL.

Cincinnati Kid
Member # 339

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cincinnati Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark Lewin was a face in the Farhat Promotion and also in a short-lived promotion called "Ohio Wrestling Classics" in 1969. I've always preferred him as a face. Even in kayfabe days, his maniac performances seemed over the top.

[ 03-17-2017, 06:58 AM: Message edited by: Cincinnati Kid ]

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations