WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Southpaw Regional Wrestling (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Southpaw Regional Wrestling
mckinneydg
Member # 48545

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mckinneydg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cattle_Mutilation:
quote:
Originally posted by Big Daddy Meatybone:
I've seen some online debate on who CHett CHetfield is. I thought it wss Cesaro but many are saying Rollins or Fandango.
It reminds me of Will Arnett's character in Semi-Pro

It's Fandango/Jonny Curtis
When I initially saw pictures of him, I thought it was Cesaro as well. Once I actually watched it, I could tell it was Fandango. One tell was the tattoo on his arm near his wrist.

--------------------
South Atlanta Wrestling

IP: Logged
Risk aka Rob
Member # 8193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Risk aka Rob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this is one of the more creative things WWE has done in some time. It's hit and miss with some of the jokes but they nailed down a lot of the feel of some regional promotions.

Maybe it's not for everyone but I'm enjoying it. Rusev as a "Good 'Ol Country Boy" definitely made me laugh.

--------------------
Please SUBSCRIBE to my GamesNew2Me video game YouTube channel. YouTube.com/GamesNew2Me

Big Daddy Meatybone
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Daddy Meatybone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was Rusev trying not to laugh on the promo he did with Lana? I am not sure if he wanted to laugh at Jericho's "you look good for living on the streets for a week" line or Lana's promo.

--------------------
~BIG DADDY MEATYBONE
_ _ _ _ _____ _ _ _ _

"If people fall asleep in front of the TV, it still counts as a rating point" ~ Dave Meltzer, 2009

"A draw is like kissing your sister" ~ Larry Nelson, 1987

habsfan87 from NL
Member # 8038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for habsfan87 from NL         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I did not particularly enjoy this, and I know it's unlikely to happen, I'd like to see them have actual Southpaw shows with matches. Have 10 or 15 half hour episodes per season. You could shoot them all at once. Bring in Colt Cabana, Joey Ryan, or whoever. Could be fun.
Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Armageddon_T_Thunderbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Berberovic:
I read somewhere that this will **** Corny off, but when is Jim not pissed? That's his go-to.

Cornette has tweeted and kindly asked people to stop sending him these vids as he never plans on watching that horses*it.

--------------------
Your uncrowned NWA Heavyweight Champion of the World.

ltp711
Member # 8527

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ltp711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I chuckled a few times but put me in the I never found Chris Jericho funny club.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by habsfan87 from NL:
While I did not particularly enjoy this, and I know it's unlikely to happen, I'd like to see them have actual Southpaw shows with matches. Have 10 or 15 half hour episodes per season. You could shoot them all at once. Bring in Colt Cabana, Joey Ryan, or whoever. Could be fun.

Gosh, that sound NOTHING like "Citizen Pain" (or it's entire production model).

Jeez Louise.

--------------------
"Okay fun is fun but enough is enough, and so on. We do not need half the front page beening Tocus threads. The old ones have been kicked over to the Markley forum...otherwise the whole gimmick can go over there." --Crimson Mask, 3/18/11

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Risk aka Rob:
they nailed down a lot of the feel of some regional promotions.

As someone who watched territory wrestling from the time I was 5 years old until it wilted away and died, I can state 100%...

...no they didn't nail the feel.

--------------------
"Okay fun is fun but enough is enough, and so on. We do not need half the front page beening Tocus threads. The old ones have been kicked over to the Markley forum...otherwise the whole gimmick can go over there." --Crimson Mask, 3/18/11

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

It's like watching bad Adult Swim with sh*tty writing.

The Broken Hardy stuff OWNS this garbage.

And how "creative" is something if it's a ripoff of something I optioned to a network nearly a decade ago? Kinda the exact opposite of "creative" if you wanna get exact about it.

--------------------

habsfan87 from NL
Member # 8038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for habsfan87 from NL         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
quote:

Jeez Louise.

I don't know what Citizen Pain is.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:
quote:
quote:

Jeez Louise.

I don't know what Citizen Pain is.
Sitcom I had in development at the Fight Network in 2008. Blue Meanie, Al Snow, Percy Pringle, etc were attached. Didn't I post this already??? Why are there two threads about this godawful Southpaw nonsense?

--------------------

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Wait, no...I did post this already. You guys just don't bother reading half the posts because you're too busy jerking off to Chris Jericho calling people "stupid idiots." Guy is a regular Bill Hicks.

--------------------

habsfan87 from NL
Member # 8038

quote:
Wait, no...I did post this already. You guys just don't bother reading half the posts because you're too busy jerking off to Chris Jericho calling people "stupid idiots." Guy is a regular Bill Hicks.

You okay, dude? You are getting a little upset. Sorry I didn't ready every post. I'm busy. I watched it on youtube and posted.

But in the future I'll definitely make sure to not read your posts.

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:
quote:

You okay, dude? You are getting a little upset. Sorry I didn't ready every post. I'm busy. I watched it on youtube and posted.

Not upset at all. Trust me. I know. I've seen me "upset."

Christ, why am I talking? This guy's not even reading my post.

--------------------

gulascantfoolus
Member # 6964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gulascantfoolus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

And another one bits the dust and another one down [Big Grin]

--------------------
gulascantfoolus is the greatest
user name EVER regardless of any silly contest

Risk aka Rob
Member # 8193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Risk aka Rob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Risk aka Rob:
they nailed down a lot of the feel of some regional promotions.

As someone who watched territory wrestling from the time I was 5 years old until it wilted away and died, I can state 100%...

...no they didn't nail the feel.

Depends on which promotions you were watching. Some stuff I've seen was like this. I'm not talking about the big territories but there were some promotions that weren't far removed from this. Don't ask me for names cause it was 30+ years ago and I don't remember.

--------------------
Please SUBSCRIBE to my GamesNew2Me video game YouTube channel. YouTube.com/GamesNew2Me

Jm
Member # 71

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For what it was thought it had some funny moments. It captured the feel of no particular promotion but more like small time promotions or promotions on the way down: i.e. Rusty Brooks florida promotion, Savoldi ICW and a few other Southern ones. Not every scene was great but had some funny gags.

Also felt some of the characters were just common 80s stereotypes rather than individual, just my take. For example, Cena was more like Vince McMahon with the hair and cadence than anyone like Solid or Russell. Guys like Tex Ferguson or Chad Bobski were just broad stereo types than some copycat.

[ 03-20-2017, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: Jm ]

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually if it 'caught' anything it was post-territory era indys.

--------------------
So long from the Sunshine State!

Risk aka Rob
Member # 8193

quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask from FL:

You tell me what it is that I might have seen, I started watching WWF in 1983 and really started scanning the dial for everything Wrestling related around 1985-86. It wasn't any major promotions I can think of and because it was so sporadic I don't know any of the wrestlers or storylines. It was just weird stuff on the UHF stations.

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know what, this nonsense is set in 1987. The territories were already toast. In the real territory era, the only promotions like these were 'outlaws', who barely ever even HAD TV.

btw I also note that even in this so called 'parody', they're not allowed to call a belt a belt. Kinda blows that, whaddyacallit, suspension of disbelief.

--------------------

Risk aka Rob
Member # 8193

quote:
You know what, this nonsense is set in 1987. The territories were already toast. In the real territory era, the only promotions like these were 'outlaws', who barely ever even HAD TV.

btw I also note that even in this so called 'parody', they're not allowed to call a belt a belt. Kinda blows that, whaddyacallit, suspension of disbelief.

So I probably caught various post territory indies on those UHF channels, like you said. Whatever it was, it wasn't far removed from the WWE parody so it made me laugh.

--------------------

The Gooker
Member # 6669

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Gooker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Someone linked to this clip on the Reddit Squared Circle page today. It was their opinion that this promotion might have been the direct inspiration for the SRW parodies. I can certainly see how someone could draw inspiration for a parody from this type of video.

Was this Continental Wrestling Association?

Edit: Looking for more info on CWA. According to Wikipedia (and when has that ever been wrong? lol) the CWA was basically another name for Mid-South. Is that true?

[ 03-20-2017, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: The Gooker ]

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

No. It was Memphis. Memphis =/= Mid South.

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

But it was certainly an at least partial shot at Memphis.

--------------------

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:

Yeah. More late 80s/early 90s Savoldi ICW than anything. They did say "1987" so they get a slight pass for that.

--------------------

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:
But it was certainly an at least partial shot at Memphis.

Which is funny since post-VJM WWFE has never been anything but Memphis with a budget.

--------------------

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:
Originally posted by The Gooker:

Someone linked to this clip on the Reddit Squared Circle page today. It was their opinion that this promotion might have been the direct inspiration for the SRW parodies. I can certainly see how someone could draw inspiration for a parody from this type of video.

Was this Continental Wrestling Association?

Edit: Looking for more info on CWA. According to Wikipedia (and when has that ever been wrong? lol) the CWA was basically another name for Mid-South. Is that true?

The whole Memphis/Mid-South confusion comes from the fact that Memphis' main arena was the Mid-South Coliseum in Memphis. The Apter mags made it even more confusing by re-naming Memphis "the Mid-Southern area" for their purposes (something the Memphis promotion never called itself).

Two funny things though: Mid-South Sports (Watts' promotion) was originally used as a corporate entity for the Atlanta office and later (well into the WWF "Attitude era") Jerry Lawler once referred to his former territory on Raw as "the Mid-Southern territory" (even though no one but Apter had ever used that term before).

[ 03-21-2017, 04:58 AM: Message edited by: Shaving Weezie Jefferson ]

--------------------

Wolverine
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolverine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen people on other boards compare this to SCTV, and I can certainly see that. Before people jump in with "yeah, but SCTV was funny", I'm talking about the overall concept. SCTV was about a local, low-rent, struggling tv station, and this was about a local, low-rent, struggling wrestling organization.
A Gene Wilder Somersault
Member # 128207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Gene Wilder Somersault     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I will say that it's a little eerie that you know my exact masturbation ritual.
The Gooker
Member # 6669

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Gooker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you CM and Weezie for the clarification and additional information on the Memphis regions and promotions.
Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Armageddon_T_Thunderbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing says kickass tag team than carriage riding, horsing around in a pool and careful riding of 3-wheelers.

Southpaw doesn't even scratch the surface of greatness that is the New Generation video and Memphis Wrestling in general.

It does seem like they watched the video of the Ole/Jarrett promotion that was on here a few weeks ago and tried to copy that. All that is missing is a rip off team called the F'N Fantastic ones!!

[ 03-21-2017, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: Armageddon_T_Thunderbird ]

--------------------
Your uncrowned NWA Heavyweight Champion of the World.

angel of debt
Member # 128689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for angel of debt         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Real smart move, douchebag, thieving an attorney's identity to troll a wrestling site. Think she'll be interested?

[ 03-21-2017, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: Crimson Mask from FL ]

Dan P-170
Member # 32

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P-170     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Mid-South Sports (Watts' promotion) was originally used as a corporate entity for the Atlanta office

They were different business entities.

The Georgia based Mid-South Sports (established when the owners of the Atlanta office, then under ABC Booking, decided to form a new corporation without the involvement of Ann Gunkel) was later renamed Georgia Championship Wrestling, Inc. and eventually purchased by Vince McMahon and/or Titan Sports and dissolved under that ownership.

The Mid-South Sports that was synonymous with Bill Watts's promotion was incorporated in Louisiana in 1979 when he separated from LeRoy McGuirk.

[ 03-21-2017, 11:22 AM: Message edited by: Dan P-170 ]

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:
Originally posted by Dan P-170:
quote:
Mid-South Sports (Watts' promotion) was originally used as a corporate entity for the Atlanta office

They were different business entities.

The Georgia based Mid-South Sports (established when the owners of the Atlanta office, then under ABC Booking, decided to form a new corporation without the involvement of Ann Gunkel) was later renamed Georgia Championship Wrestling, Inc. and eventually purchased by Vince McMahon and/or Titan Sports and dissolved under that ownership.

The Mid-South Sports that was synonymous with Bill Watts's promotion was incorporated in Louisiana in 1979 when he separated from LeRoy McGuirk.

Should've specified that it was used as the name of the Georgia entity.

Did Watts have points in the Georgia office at the time the name was used?

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations