WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Jim Garvin's Finishing Moves

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jim Garvin's Finishing Moves
Claymation Quartermain
Member # 6083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claymation Quartermain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What finishing moves did Jim Garvin use during his career?

--------------------
"Old Time Hockey?"

IP: Logged
Dirko
Member # 125609

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dirko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty sure he used a brainbuster for a while.

--------------------
"I have decided to be happy because it is good for my health."
(Voltaire)

REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for REO Speeddealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He used the DDT as a Freebird.
mckinneydg
Member # 48545

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mckinneydg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not meant as a definitive answer, but more of a related anecdote.

The latest WWE video game, WWE 2K17, has Jimmy Garvin in it and they gave him the Brainbuster and DDT as his Finisher and Signature moves.

--------------------
South Atlanta Wrestling

REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for REO Speeddealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's YouTube footage of him pinning a guy following a running forearm smash to the head on 1982 Georgia TV.
Pbhero
Member # 81542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pbhero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He used a stunner or cutter type move when he came back to WCW in 91...he called it the 911.

Check out Havoc 91...where he scores an upset with it over Johnny B Badd.

Pbhero
Member # 81542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pbhero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also....didn't he use the sleeper in the AWA?
Gabba Hey
Member # 20936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabba Hey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could be wrong, but I thought he used the figure 4 as well.

--------------------
Im your huckleberry - Tombstone -- Sometimes to beat the bully. you have to be the bully. Michael Jordan. vs the Pistons

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In JCP in the late '70s, his normal finisher (as a babyface prelimer) was lying on his back staring at the lights. When he came back in the mid-'80s as a heel, he was using the brainbuster (I assume he picked that up working with Karl Kox in Florida).

--------------------
"Okay fun is fun but enough is enough, and so on. We do not need half the front page beening Tocus threads. The old ones have been kicked over to the Markley forum...otherwise the whole gimmick can go over there." --Crimson Mask, 3/18/11

Rob from IA
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob from IA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pbhero:
He used a stunner or cutter type move when he came back to WCW in 91...he called it the 911.

He lost to Badd at Havoc '91. He also lost to him again at Superbrawl IV when he filled in for Hayes, but he did hit the 911 after the match to leave him laying.
Pbhero
Member # 81542

quote:
Originally posted by Rob from IA:
quote:
Originally posted by Pbhero:

He lost to Badd at Havoc '91. He also lost to him again at Superbrawl IV when he filled in for Hayes, but he did hit the 911 after the match to leave him laying.
Ahhhh...That was it.

I remember him leaving Badd laying.

I guess that wouldnt make sense with him going over Badd in that time frame.

davephlegmball
Member # 5163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davephlegmball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't leave out Precious with the spray can to the eyes.
Stephen Gennarelli
Member # 21747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Gennarelli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm disappointed that some of these video games didn't allow you to do the "loaded boot" as a finisher.
mckinneydg
Member # 48545

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mckinneydg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would be cool.

--------------------
South Atlanta Wrestling

Corkscrew Elbow
Member # 123008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corkscrew Elbow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was (am) a big fan of Gorgeous Jimmy Garvin but his brain buster was terrible. It always seemed he had trouble lifting his opponent up in the air.
Xontar
Member # 2235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xontar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Corkscrew Elbow:
I was (am) a big fan of Gorgeous Jimmy Garvin but his brain buster was terrible. It always seemed he had trouble lifting his opponent up in the air.

I would be reluctant to take a brain-buster from someone having a hard time getting me up in the air.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly? Moves should look like the guy performing them is having difficulty. Moves that look like the other guy is cooperating seem fake as f*uck.

--------------------
"Okay fun is fun but enough is enough, and so on. We do not need half the front page beening Tocus threads. The old ones have been kicked over to the Markley forum...otherwise the whole gimmick can go over there." --Crimson Mask, 3/18/11

REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

Cool finisher here:

Ta-Kargol, Lord Of The Volcano
Member # 2127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ta-Kargol, Lord Of The Volcano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh, that was Alex Porteau's WWF finisher.

--------------------
I have roamed the galaxy in search of battle. Those who have crossed me have had their bodies broken and their blood spilled. Never have I looked back.

Xontar
Member # 2235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xontar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
Honestly? Moves should look like the guy performing them is having difficulty. Moves that look like the other guy is cooperating seem fake as f*uck.

I would generally agree with this sentiment, but the brain-buster is a pretty dangerous move and if the guy giving it to me was legit having a hard time getting me up, I don't think I'd trust him to be able to guide me down correctly either.

If the struggle is a work to make it look legit, then great. But if the struggle is because a lack of real strength to execute the move, I don't think I'd want to take it.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations