WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » OT: A Favor Please; Will Someone Link to the Worst Drum Solo Ever; Thanks.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OT: A Favor Please; Will Someone Link to the Worst Drum Solo Ever; Thanks.
Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Viewer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A piano player failed to show up at my exercise class and the substitute couldn't play a piano so he came with a drum and an amplifier.

For 30 minutes he played bass drum repeating the same 16 bars -- right out of John Ford's ghastly "Mogambo" -- an M-G-M 1953 production partly-filmed in several then-colonies in Africa for a Ford vacation (he did the same thing with "Donovan's Reef" and Hawaii except the movie was a fine comedy) and his cronies.

I recognized the music played at the class right out of authentic African tribal music but it may have been recorded three years earlier when a British M-G-M crew did its own tour of African then-colonies to remake "King Solomon's Mines" with Stewart Granger and Deborah Kerr.

The volume our drummer used was ear-splitting and the gal in-charge said she could do nothing about it. So after 30 minutes of the same 16 raging bars, I quietly got up and fled. Now they want to hassle me on the skills of the drummer, whatever they may be.

The instructor, who usually tells the pianist what type of music to play, made no attempt to communicate with the drummer, who may have been deaf.

I'm serious about a solo drummer playing the same beats over and over. HELP! Thanks in advance.

Ken

[ 03-14-2017, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: Ken Viewer ]

IP: Logged
davephlegmball
Member # 5163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davephlegmball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lemme see if i got this straight:

A piano player has a gig at an exercise club.

This sounds like a nightmare already, but it gets better . . .

But one week, he can't make it, so this replacement shows up, but he can't play piano. He plays drums. Ok.

And this drummer feels he needs amplifiers. Playing a solo gig. For an exercise class.

[Roll Eyes]

Who booked this crap?

Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Viewer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by davephlegmball:

But one week, he can't make it, so this replacement shows up, but he can't play piano. He plays drums. Ok.

And this drummer feels he needs amplifiers. Playing a solo gig. For an exercise class.

[Roll Eyes]

Who booked this crap?

It's a group class for a large group of mature adults and a lot of us are old and decrepit. The first portion of the class is done sitting down, although it is a vigorous series of exercises. The pianist is funded by a gift to make the classes more pleasant and the live music really works for us. The piano sits there anyway. If no one plays it, it feels neglected.

One day, this entire board will be be old. Don't avoid adequate exercising throughout life. Many newspaper reporters of my generation got our daily exercise lifting glasses of alcohol. I did and I'm shot to hell but don't drink anything now stronger than gallons of unsweetened coffee.

Ken

[ 03-14-2017, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: Ken Viewer ]

dthcm
Member # 56183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dthcm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Cynthia Celeste Miller from KS
Member # 3471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cynthia Celeste Miller from KS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dthcm:

The sloppiness is palpable. What the hell was he thinking??

--------------------
Cynthia Celeste Miller
Spectrum Games

Check out my band, Eminent Remains, on Facebook.

1bruiser
Member # 2903

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1bruiser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cynthia Celeste Miller from KS:
quote:
Originally posted by dthcm:

The sloppiness is palpable. What the hell was he thinking??
Who said he was thinking? Probably doesn't get paid to think.
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not thinking is one thing. Not hearing is something else.

*smh* from the Sunshine State...

--------------------
So long from the Sunshine State!

Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

Thanks, dthcm.

Here's another one that qualifies and relates more to a drummer with one drum and nothing else:

And the actual drumming the exercise class player offered us can be heard at the very end of this three-minute trailer for "Mogambo," which is one of John Ford's worst films (which was a remake of "Red Dust" starring Gable and Harlow and set in what's now Vietnam, filmed some two decades earlier by director Victor Fleming).

Ford violated the first rule of great moviemaking -- never redo a superb film. And what he turned out was dreadful.

Ken

[ 03-15-2017, 08:09 AM: Message edited by: Ken Viewer ]

davephlegmball
Member # 5163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davephlegmball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Viewer:
quote:
Originally posted by davephlegmball:

[Roll Eyes]

Who booked this crap?

It's a group class for a large group of mature adults and a lot of us are old and decrepit. The first portion of the class is done sitting down, although it is a vigorous series of exercises. The pianist is funded by a gift to make the classes more pleasant and the live music really works for us. The piano sits there anyway. If no one plays it, it feels neglected.

One day, this entire board will be be old. Don't avoid adequate exercising throughout life. Many newspaper reporters of my generation got our daily exercise lifting glasses of alcohol. I did and I'm shot to hell but don't drink anything now stronger than gallons of unsweetened coffee.

Ken

And who booked this mess? Are the booker and this drummer (who needs amps to keep a crowd of elders looking for a workout moving) still welcome in the establishment? I am not blaming the victims here, Ken. I am just saying wtf is going on at this joint/promotion?
Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

Stuff happens. Sunday was the first time I walked out on an exercise class from this group -- which uses skilled instructors who themselves are never bored and convey a cheerful attitude.

But even the instructor didn't seem to be able to communicate with the drummer, who hopefully will not return unless he learns to play a piano with melodic show tunes.

The next class has our veteran pianist back and I sent the trailer for "Mogambo" to the scheduler of these events. The scheduler is not the director of the program and the director knows how I feel about amplified, raucous solo drummers and exercise classes.

Despite this one screw-up, the classes are wonderful and there is much more demand than spaces for attendees, so we're on a quota-system. I exhaust the quota each month and am grateful I can get into most any class that avoids drum-music.

Heck, at the predominantly African-American Alvin Ailey Dance Theatre (modern dance), they offer classes and while their choreographers frequently visit African themes, they use a piano player to accompany classes and rehearsals.

(Alvin died, and the company has had several directors since, but not before I broke the news, years ago, that his was the first predominantly-African-American dance troupe to ever be booked into New York City's Metropolitan Opera House.

When I described his organization as "The most-popular modern-dance company in America," I received complaints from various other troupes, mostly white, some of which performed only when a February 29th would roll around.

If the exercise-class scheduler wants to make this about a racial issue, she's gonna have to find some "alternate facts."

I was riding in the cars of black leaders during the race-riots of the 1960s, while the competition's reporters stayed cuddled at police headquarters.

Ken

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That djembe solo isn't that bad. Just mediocre.

I can see even good, authentic African drumming being a culture shock for a seniors exercise class accustomed to piano show tunes. I'll leave it at that.

--------------------
So long from the Sunshine State!

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations