WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » OT - Most Impactful TV Deaths (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: OT - Most Impactful TV Deaths
Tatsuya
Member # 80195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tatsuya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I changed my mind, it's this

IP: Logged
Soletaker
Member # 1564

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Soletaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From something recent, Cottonmouth on Luke Cage. His death came out of nowhere.
Outlaw Dick
Member # 128734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outlaw Dick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by John Williamson:
How about Bobby in NYPD Blue?

Bobby Simone's death... Some of the best theatre, let alone television I ever saw.
Outlaw Dick
Member # 128734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outlaw Dick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SWW72 from FL:
Although not a main character, another impactful death on All in the Family was when Beverly, the female impersonator, was killed.

Can't believe I forgot James Evans from Good Times. The way that the notification of his death was mixed in with he congratulatory telegrams added to the shock.

Another vote for Jack Soo's (detective Yemana) death on Barney Miller. I don't think that they ever acknowledged the character's death but shortly after he died they had an episode dedicated to the actor.

"Damn, Damn, Damn!"
In the immortal words of Esther Rolle:

[ 05-12-2017, 04:57 AM: Message edited by: Outlaw Dick ]

Billy Burgess
Member # 2521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billy Burgess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
quote:
Originally posted by Billy Burgess:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:

Maureen Bauer on Guiding Light

Deaths on daytime TV often seemed a dime-a-dozen, especially on a show like Edge of Night, which was mostl mystery-based, and would every so often have a long-running, beloved character like Adam Drake, played by Donald May, become a murder victim. And of course, the "character returns from the dead" trope has been trotted out so much that few deaths appear permanent.

The loss of Maureen Bauer, last played by the amazing Ellen Parker, was a really hard one to take. At that point Mo, as she was called, was essentially the matriarch of what was left of the once-dominant Bauer family on the show. You pretty much knew Mo wasn't coming back, unless it was in flashback or as a ghost (which may have happened. But I think the loss of Maureen was something from which the show never quite recovered (as good as Kim Zimmer was as Reva Shayne Lewis, I think Ellen Parker was on an entirely different level). Killing Maureen off was one of daytime TV's biggest mistakes.

Kim Zimmer was always too over-the-top (like Susan Lucci). Ellen Parker is as real as they get. Not a false note in her.
A friend and I are collaborating on a screenplay in which we have a character (seen only in flashback) that resembles Maureen Bauer, especially as played by Ellen Parker. Its a loving, caring character that we describe as "average-looking (though that might be underestimating Ms. Parker, but stunning when you get to know her, which describes Ellen Parker's Maureen to a T. Beauty is always in the eye of beholder. Ellen Parker was a true beauty.

--------------------
THE TIES THAT BIND - a film for which I created the concept and co-wrote... https://vimeo.com/184917104

Corkscrew Elbow
Member # 123008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corkscrew Elbow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Herschel - Walking Dead.
steuben
Member # 126350

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steuben     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does Hannah Bakers death from 13 reasons why count?

That was very difficult to watch.

Outlaw Dick
Member # 128734

McLean Stevenson's career after the death of Henry Blake.
mjmiller4u
Member # 4949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mjmiller4u     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Outlaw Dick:
McLean Stevenson's career after the death of Henry Blake.

C'mon, now----Hello Larry was great!!
the bear
Member # 1565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zammo in Grange Hill

--------------------
Check out my Wrestling collection - Now over 14000 DVD's
http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee/

Cynthia Celeste Miller from KS
Member # 3471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cynthia Celeste Miller from KS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by steuben:

I agree. I was crying like a baby! I thought at first they were going to cut away (no pun intended, honestly) to another scene right before she did it, but nope! We had to watch it play out and it was excruciating to watch. I couldn't stop thinking about it for days.

--------------------
Cynthia Celeste Miller
Spectrum Games

Check out my band, Eminent Remains, on Facebook.

Sed76
Member # 6884

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sed76     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sofia on the Walking Dead. They spent the whole season looking for her and she was right there the whole time.
ZEKER
Member # 4727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ZEKER         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by steuben:

This...
Outlaw Dick
Member # 128734

Stretch Cunningham on All In The Family
jjenginer
Member # 37009

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jjenginer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another vote for Henry Blake in M.A.S.H., i actually cried

Edith Bunker was a shock also

Idol I
Member # 4061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Idol I     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maude Flanders

--------------------
http://TheHistoryofWWE.com/

TerryR
Member # 5671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sed76:
Sofia on the Walking Dead. They spent the whole season looking for her and she was right there the whole time.

Oh yeah, that was crazy. I just remember my wife upset about that.
dthcm
Member # 56183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dthcm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The chicken on MASH. It's main impact was a horrible storyline in an otherwise very good series finale.
merc
Member # 125456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Col. Blake jumped to mind, as did Edith. IIRC both were a result of contract issues.

My third choice is Opie from SOA. That one sucked.

Rita from Dexter was also one that left me thinking it didn't really happen.

Jack Soo actually died, that's a different kind of TV death.

[ 05-23-2017, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: merc ]

SWW72 from FL
Member # 1536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SWW72 from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dthcm:
The chicken on MASH. It's main impact was a horrible storyline in an otherwise very good series finale.

Agree with this one. It often comes to mind.

--------------------
SWW72

Billy Burgess
Member # 2521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billy Burgess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another one was the death of Lt. Dan Muldoon (played by John McIntire) on the first season of Naked City. The character's death plus James Franciscus' (as Detective Jimmy Halloran) desire to move to LA led to the transition to a one-hour series with a different cast (and a very unique series for the time).

McIntire himself came in to at least a couple of series as replacements, playing Chris Hale, who took as wagonmaster from Major Adams (Ward Bond, who had passed away) on Wagon Train, and Clay Grainger, the brother of John Grainger, played by Charles Bickford, on The Virginian.

[ 05-24-2017, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: Billy Burgess ]

--------------------
THE TIES THAT BIND - a film for which I created the concept and co-wrote... https://vimeo.com/184917104

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations