WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » OT - Most Impactful TV Deaths (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: OT - Most Impactful TV Deaths
Herd72
Member # 107695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Herd72     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gotta be Old Yeller in the Wonderful World of Disney - first time I ever saw my father cry. In the human realm, Edith Bunker. I always despised M.A.S.H. so the Blake thing was not one I witnessed. PS ... There was at least one every week on Quincy! πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰
IP: Logged
John Williamson
Member # 127199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Williamson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about Bobby in NYPD Blue?
Pbhero
Member # 81542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pbhero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omar on the Wire.
Charlie on Lost.

Jay P. Punk
Member # 4082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay P. Punk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gulascantfoolus:
Edith Bunker

^^^this^^^ The part where he finds her slipper under the bed was absolutely brutal. It's crazy how real it felt to me as a kid. I think the death of James from Good Times was pretty sad as well.
John Williamson
Member # 127199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Williamson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't particularly like the show but John Ritter died during Ten Simple Rules... and that hit me hard. They wrote it into the show.
Stephen Gennarelli
Member # 21747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Gennarelli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not mentioned yet, but Edith Keeler.

Her death was the focal point of the greatest episode of the greatest series in the history of television.

Greg Ganja
Member # 1677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg Ganja     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a twist...Dan on Wonder Years. It was an offscreen death. But when Kevin says his dad died in like 2 years in that final episode-- I felt that.

Surprised no one mentioned James Evans from Good Times.

--------------------

I don't like the divorce font!
---
Your old lady's old lady has got skinnier legs!!!
---
And BABY DOLL...shame on you mama...cause I know you better than anyone!

Greg Ganja
Member # 1677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg Ganja     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, Curt Injurker mentioned James Evans!

--------------------

---
---

Greg Ganja
Member # 1677

quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Gennarelli:

Her death was the focal point of the greatest episode of the greatest series in the history of television.

Great pick!

--------------------

---
---

Tatsuya
Member # 80195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tatsuya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Ganja:
Here's a twist...Dan on Wonder Years. It was an offscreen death. But when Kevin says his dad died in like 2 years in that final episode-- I felt that.

I mentioned Jack Arnold (actor's name is Dan Luria), wrote it was shocking to me cuz I expected him to pass down family biz to Wayne and enjoy retirement but turned out he died soon after the series ended

Kicking myself for not mentioning James Evans Sr....one of,if not my favorite TV dad because he was so badass

SWW72 from FL
Member # 1536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SWW72 from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although not a main character, another impactful death on All in the Family was when Beverly, the female impersonator, was killed.

Can't believe I forgot James Evans from Good Times. The way that the notification of his death was mixed in with he congratulatory telegrams added to the shock.

Another vote for Jack Soo's (detective Yemana) death on Barney Miller. I don't think that they ever acknowledged the character's death but shortly after he died they had an episode dedicated to the actor.

--------------------
SWW72

Billy Burgess
Member # 2521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billy Burgess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatsuya:
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Ganja:

I mentioned Jack Arnold (actor's name is Dan Luria), wrote it was shocking to me cuz I expected him to pass down family biz to Wayne and enjoy retirement but turned out he died soon after the series ended

Kicking myself for not mentioning James Evans Sr....one of,if not my favorite TV dad because he was so badass

James' death plus the eventual departure of Esther Rolle from Good Times sent the qualiity of the show careening. Jimmie Walker as JJ was solid in support, but never should have become the obvious star/focal point. The character wasn't strong enough, and by that time neither were the scripts. In the later episodes Johnny Brown's Bookman character was funnier than Walker in a much-less-satisfying series than before.

--------------------
THE TIES THAT BIND - a film for which I created the concept and co-wrote... https://vimeo.com/184917104

Cynthia Celeste Miller from KS
Member # 3471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cynthia Celeste Miller from KS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ones that hit me hardest (in no particular order):

β€’ Opie Winston (Sons of Anarchy)
β€’ Jax Teller (Sons of Anarchy)
β€’ Bobby Munson (Sons of Anarchy)
β€’ Lane Price (Mad Men)
β€’ Sadie Dunhill (11.22.63)
β€’ Edith Bunker (Archie Bunker's Place)

--------------------
Cynthia Celeste Miller
Spectrum Games

Check out my band, Eminent Remains, on Facebook.

Stephen Gennarelli
Member # 21747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Gennarelli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great pick on Lane Price, Miss Cynthia Celeste !
Kilroy
Member # 53

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kilroy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just thinking over this again, has anyone mentioned Big ***** from the Sopranos? IMO that's probably in the top 3 greatest episodes of that show..
Aussie Mike in Dc
Member # 1952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aussie Mike in Dc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nick Nolte as Tom Jordache in the "Rich Man Poor Man" mini series !

Made everyone want to get that damned Falconetti and muder da bum !!

gulascantfoolus
Member # 6964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gulascantfoolus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bobby Ewing....oh wait that was a dream,it WOULD have been memorable

--------------------
gulascantfoolus is the greatest
user name EVER regardless of any silly contest

gulascantfoolus
Member # 6964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gulascantfoolus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Still say Kirk could have taken her into the future and everyone could have live happily ever after

--------------------
gulascantfoolus is the greatest
user name EVER regardless of any silly contest

Stephen Gennarelli
Member # 21747

...but that would have put the show over budget
and "Operation: Anhilate" (the flying Pizza episode would have been the last one).

John Williamson
Member # 127199

Another one came to mind, and it's a little different...

Again, not a show I was crazy about but Rita's death on Dexter, purely on a visual level, made some impact. The show went down the toilet after that but that scene when Dexter comes home to discover her body was great.

Ta-Kargol, Lord Of The Volcano
Member # 2127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ta-Kargol, Lord Of The Volcano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
I have roamed the galaxy in search of battle. Those who have crossed me have had their bodies broken and their blood spilled. Never have I looked back.

Bcleah
Member # 5397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bcleah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blackadder et al on Blackadder IV:

Cynthia Celeste Miller from KS
Member # 3471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cynthia Celeste Miller from KS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Great pick on Lane Price, Miss Cynthia Celeste !

The way they didn't show the body for the longest time added a something to the impact. And then, just when you didn't think they were going to show him at all, BAM! They did it. Just perfectly played.

--------------------
Cynthia Celeste Miller
Spectrum Games

Check out my band, Eminent Remains, on Facebook.

nolookpass13
Member # 128684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nolookpass13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Norma Bates on Bates Motel.
Probably should have an asterisk since she's still alive in Norman's mind.

Blue Thunder
Member # 4504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Thunder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I truly liked HBOs Rome. I was beyond shocked when the Senators killed Caeser.

--------------------
"Racism is evil"- Donald Trump

Rico
Member # 5981

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rico     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jock Ewing on Dallas. Seems like nearly every storyline heated up when he went to the big ranch in the sky..

--------------------
When all you see is what's wrong, you miss what's right.

SWW72 from FL
Member # 1536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SWW72 from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many of us mentioned the death of Henry Blake.

Well, thankfully, reports of his death were greatly exaggerated!! [Smile]

--------------------
SWW72

Steve Berberovic
Member # 7569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Berberovic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
President Laura Roslin on Battlestar Galactica. Moses at least got to see the Promised Land for a second in that one, but it was handled beautifully.
U can putitontheboarrrrrrd....YES
Member # 3568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for U can putitontheboarrrrrrd....YES     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daddy Dewdrop:
Can't believe no one's yet mentioned Hank on Breaking Bad.

I cheered. Easily the most hateable character on the show. In fact it should have come a season sooner.

--------------------
now you know.. and knowings half the battle... GI Joe

Rock-Hunter Kurt Austin from CHI
Member # 6360

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rock-Hunter Kurt Austin from CHI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by U can putitontheboarrrrrrd....YES:
quote:
Originally posted by Daddy Dewdrop:
Can't believe no one's yet mentioned Hank on Breaking Bad.

I cheered. Easily the most hateable character on the show. In fact it should have come a season sooner.
Wow! Yeah he was a royal ***** in the first season, but his character developed into one of the most noble on the show. I was rooting for him after season 2 and was sad when his character was killed.
RedStorm
Member # 4700

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RedStorm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just watched the Detective Zito Miami Vice death episode for the first time in a while. I don't think this scene could have been done any better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEednRorKmU

Mr. 1derful
Member # 5666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. 1derful   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From an outsider's point of view -

In Australia, Henry Blake was the most impactful of all the overseas shows. However, the one that really matters in Australia was from the Australian show, "A Country Practice", when Molly Jones, who had been suffering from leukemia, passed away. She was one of the most beloved characters on Australian TV, and the way that it was handled (lying out in the yard, watching her husband and daughter playing while the screen slowly turned to black) still brings tears to the eyes of many Australians, over 30 years on.

Merchant in VA
Member # 6159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Merchant in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No Mark Green on "ER" or Hodor on GoT?

--------------------
"If brains were gasoline, you couldn't propel a flea's motorcycle around a raindrop." - Jim Cornette

Kilroy
Member # 53

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kilroy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SWW72 from FL:
Many of us mentioned the death of Henry Blake.

Well, thankfully, reports of his death were greatly exaggerated!! [Smile]

Holy crap! I had no idea someone finally found that clip. For YEARS that was like the holy grail of footage when it came to MASH, people had claimed they had seen that bit after Blake "died" on Mash, that he was on the Carol Burnett show the next week in a raft claiming he was ok and not dead but NOBODY had the footage. It had been talked about so long that it had finally been said it didn't exist and people just assumed it happened. Looks like it turned up last year finally..that's wild. Guess the problem was everyone just assumed it was on the Burnett show and just kept hunting for it in their archives instead of the Cher show..

http://www.mash4077tv.com/2016/03/found-mclean-stevenson-in-a-raft-on-cher-in-1975/

pitbullsfan
Member # 115351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pitbullsfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adric on Dr. Who- a complete shocker.
pitbullsfan
Member # 115351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pitbullsfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gotta say, I love how these threads always devolve into the naming of every example that vaguely fits the OP's original question.
Tatsuya
Member # 80195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tatsuya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Merchant in VA:
No Mark Green on "ER" or Hodor on GoT?

Greene's death was sad and I got a bit choked up but by the time he died, thought ER was past its prime and so many of the major characters from the original cast was gone that seemed kinda normal in a weird way
Happ Hazzard
Member # 4893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Happ Hazzard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. 1derful:
From an outsider's point of view -

In Australia, Henry Blake was the most impactful of all the overseas shows. However, the one that really matters in Australia was from the Australian show, "A Country Practice", when Molly Jones, who had been suffering from leukemia, passed away. She was one of the most beloved characters on Australian TV, and the way that it was handled (lying out in the yard, watching her husband and daughter playing while the screen slowly turned to black) still brings tears to the eyes of many Australians, over 30 years on.

What about Daphne in "Neighbours"? People still talk about that here (UK) today as one of the saddest TV deaths. Neighbours had quite a few when it was popular.
Pillsbury
Member # 43540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pillsbury     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pitbullsfan:
I gotta say, I love how these threads always devolve into the naming of every example that vaguely fits the OP's original question.

Yeah,but who are you to judge what impacted someone?

--------------------
Tom Brady and Bill Belichick have FIVE SUPER BOWL RINGS!!!.......FIVE!!!

sam the lion from WA
Member # 1154

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sam the lion from WA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brian Piccolo-Brian's Song-still can not watch Gale Sayers speech without choking up, first time I saw it as a kid I was positive Piccolo would make it, I did not know it was a true story at the time.

--------------------
The magic, that is on those tapes, you don't own THAT!!

Reid Rothchild

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations