WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » No Ron Garvin in WCW

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: No Ron Garvin in WCW
REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for REO Speeddealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder why Garvin was never a guy WCW brought in as an active wrestler or even for Slamboree. He could still go in the early '90s.

IP: Logged
Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is not an answer. But I'm sure most fans, or at least hardcore fans at the time were happy they didn't.

I know many fans were tired of WCW bringing in older guys instead of bringing in younger talent. Ronnie was always a favorite of mine, but geez the early 90's WCW was looking like a place where rejected WWF talent went to. Which is the exact opposite of what WCW should have been promoting.

--------------------
follow me on twitter at: @mattfarmer93
www.defywrestling.com
http://mlwradio.com/

Kid Canada
Member # 7294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Canada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought he still looked good in SMW in 92/93...had some good matches with Orndorff if I remember correctly. Was still in great shape and looked like he could legit kick anyone's ass.
The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He was flying a plane full time IIRC. FedEx maybe?

--------------------
"It's Gerry, and Mike Graham is the correct answer." — CWF Fan on a 07-14-2017 thread, debating Mike Graham & Jerry Brisco

codystarbuck
Member # 27176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for codystarbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Coach:
He was flying a plane full time IIRC. FedEx maybe?

Not Fedex; but, it was a cargo carrier.

He was pretty much retired, at this point and happy to do so. He talks about the flying gig, to a point, in the interview with Hannibal, on Youtube. They gave him a good schedule, good pay, and plenty of time for hunting and fishing. That's all he wanted. In the interview, he mentions that he always viewed things as how much he earned at the end of the year; and as long as he hit that goal, he was happy. He didn't chase "big money;" just the right money. Smokey Mountain fit more into his lifestyle. Plus, he was/is living in the region.

--------------------
"The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it’s as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues." —Terry Pratchett

ponyplayer19
Member # 8537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ponyplayer19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Farmer from WA:
This is not an answer. But I'm sure most fans, or at least hardcore fans at the time were happy they didn't.

I know many fans were tired of WCW bringing in older guys instead of bringing in younger talent.

This was me. They did a lot of moving backwards. Constantly upgrading to stay 7 years too late. Ronnie Garvin would have just been more of that. But, he could have done the job and earned the nice paycheck as well or better than most of the guys on the roster. He just wouldn't have moved the dial.
Someone from Rwanda
Member # 22010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Someone from Rwanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh come on. Who wouldn't have wanted to see Garvin, Rocky King, and Thunderbolt Patterson make the save for Sting when he was getting jumped by a bunch of Black Scorpion jobbers?

[ 03-11-2017, 08:35 AM: Message edited by: Someone from Rwanda ]

Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arnold_OldSchool     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When Ole was booking all the old guys on WCW TV in 90, Ronnie was still with Vince.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations