WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Anybody confirm these two other ways of getting blood other than cutting forehead?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anybody confirm these two other ways of getting blood other than cutting forehead?
DR. PAPUFNIK
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DR. PAPUFNIK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stories from two guys not necessarily known for being full of it in interviews, but it is wrestling and these seem a little excessive.
1. Gary Hart said the way to get blood from a clawhold was for the guy applying the hold to blade his fingers. You'd really have to slice up you finger pretty good to get blood.
2. Jim Cornette said to get blood from the mouth, you would actually draw the blood backstage into a syringe, shoot the blood into a condom, tie the condom off, put it in you mouth and then bite it when the time came.
Are these legit?

IP: Logged
codystarbuck
Member # 27176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for codystarbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DR. PAPUFNIK:
Stories from two guys not necessarily known for being full of it in interviews, but it is wrestling and these seem a little excessive.
1. Gary Hart said the way to get blood from a clawhold was for the guy applying the hold to blade his fingers. You'd really have to slice up you finger pretty good to get blood.
2. Jim Cornette said to get blood from the mouth, you would actually draw the blood backstage into a syringe, shoot the blood into a condom, tie the condom off, put it in you mouth and then bite it when the time came.
Are these legit?

The condom thing was, apparently, as it was used in a couple of angles. Not sure about the finger thing, though, supposedly, Fritz cut his fingers badly while blading in Japan, causing a bloodier clawhold than expected. not sure if he intended to cut his fingers or his opponent's forehead and hit his fingers. I wanna say it was against Baba; but don't really know.

--------------------
"The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it’s as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues." —Terry Pratchett

midsouthfan from N.O.
Member # 1508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for midsouthfan from N.O.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't quote me, but I think Gary is referring to the blade being taped to the finger of the person administering the claw.

Take this from a diabetic who pricks his fingers 6 times a day. I would rather blade my forehead than my fingertips. A lot of nerve ending there

oblongo
Member # 2502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oblongo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the deal with Fritz was that he had the claw on Baba. Baba reached up to blade himself and accidentally cut Fritz pretty bad.

I think they later explained that Baba had ripped out one of Frtiz's nails while trying to pull his fingers off his head.

Herd72
Member # 107695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Herd72     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ivan Koloff made reference to the condom technique a few times in his book. Must be something to it. I could never understand how guys kept their blade in their mouth without getting cut to ribbons. The most sane method I ever heard was having a plant in the first row of the crowd hold the blade, wrestler gets thrown that way and the pass is made. Wrestler rolls in pain towards the ring apron, gigging as he goes. Blade gets tossed under ring. This was in some book I read, maybe Gary Harts?
Rob from IA
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob from IA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want to see a match with the second one, watch the Lesnar-Hogan match where Hogan bleeds internally from the bearhug. You can pretty clearly see him chewing before the blood comes spurting out. Not sure if they used a condom or real blood necessarily but the desired effect was the same.
dthcm
Member # 56183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dthcm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by oblongo:

I think they later explained that Baba had ripped out one of Frtiz's nails while trying to pull his fingers off his head.

A candidate for

davephlegmball
Member # 5163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davephlegmball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by midsouthfan from N.O.:
Don't quote me, but I think Gary is referring to the blade being taped to the finger of the person administering the claw.

Take this from a diabetic who pricks his fingers 6 times a day. I would rather blade my forehead than my fingertips. A lot of nerve ending there

As a diabetic guitar player, i got absolutely no problem pricking my fingers. Time to pick up a guitar, midsouthfan!
Bud Miller
Member # 27129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bud Miller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by davephlegmball:
quote:

As a diabetic guitar player, i got absolutely no problem pricking my fingers. Time to pick up a guitar, midsouthfan!
Using the new Ernie Ball Barbed Wire .09's?
Happ Hazzard
Member # 4893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Happ Hazzard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why bother drawing blood with a syringe to put into a condom to bite on when you could just use tomato juice or some other red liquid?
midsouthfan from N.O.
Member # 1508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for midsouthfan from N.O.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by davephlegmball:
quote:

Oh I don't have one either. But I would DEFINITELY have one blading my fingertips [Eek!]
OSJ from NM by way of WA
Member # 6136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OSJ from NM by way of WA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having done both (for a book signing) my experience was this:

Blading finger, not much blood, hurt like hell; proceed to "Plan B".

"Plan B", blading forehead: didn't feel a thing, but Mutoh and Chono would have been pleased with the results. Must've hit a small vein from the way the red stuff was squirting halfway across the room. Plenty to sign books with and a great photo op. Of course, the pictures didn't come out worth a crap.

Lastly (even though he didn't want to be quoted) midsouthfan likely has it right, usually, the person applying the claw is also the one doing the cutting. (Thus avoiding mishaps like the one with Baba and Fritz). It's going to be far, far easier for the person applying the claw to safely gig their opponent than it is for said opponent to have to reach up, make the cut, avoid their opponents fingers, all the while hiding the blade.

--------------------
"What you say sounds reasonable enough," said the man, "but I refuse to be bribed. I am here to whip people, and whip them I shall!")
-Franz Kafka - The Trial

FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FantasyWrestlerDrew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've only gotten color once and it was forehead. I've seen guys use like small balloons with food coloring but it always looked lame because water doesn't have the same consistency as blood so even after they bit into it, the "blood" just drained quick and didn't give that good of a visual. I think tomato juice is too orange for a blood visual but I don't drink it so I have no idea. I just saw the balloon/condom gimmick with red food coloring and it looked silly.
DR. PAPUFNIK
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DR. PAPUFNIK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Happ Hazzard:
Why bother drawing blood with a syringe to put into a condom to bite on when you could just use tomato juice or some other red liquid?

According to Cornette (and I've heard this from others) ringside fans would dip their fingers in it and taste it to make sure it was real blood. Gotta protect the business.
Rudeboy13668
Member # 10221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rudeboy13668     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've read pig blood was used to fill the condoms.
The Saviour of Misbehaviour
Member # 4152

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Saviour of Misbehaviour     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The food coloring in the condom is how guys like Muta sprayed the dreaded green mist.

--------------------
“Hearing the words, ‘The land of the free and home of the brave’ means something special for every American, every day,” Harris added later in his speech. “But today, on Dec. 7, it takes on extraordinary significance.”

unclefester
Member # 17559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unclefester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know the use of a blood filled condom has merit...

The late Cowboy Frankie Lane told me one time he had a condom filled with blood in his mouth and before the time came to bite on it...it flew out of his mouth and skittered across the ring.

You seldom see guys bleeding from the mouth in that fashion and to me at least it's maybe a little more "credible/believable" than blading the forehead. To my eye and I'm thinking as a fan here it indicates the wrestler has internal injuries from taking a couple of real hard stomach blows for example. Spitting up blood usually means you're in serious trouble right??

To me it's just more effective than blading...

Does that make any sense?

Your thoughts appreciated...

[ 03-14-2017, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: unclefester ]

--------------------
Two out of three falls with a 60 minute time limit...

steuben
Member # 126350

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steuben     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blading sucks, at least as far as I am concerned, but then again I'm not really a professional wrestler just a part timer guy in the Indys, the first time I tried it I didn't go deep enough and it looked like a cat scratched me, the second time I went too deep and bled like a stuck hog, but had also taken a few aspirin beforehand so that may have been something to do with it.

I have heard that the real pros from back in the day, some of them had so much thin skin and scar tissue on their foreheads that they could just about get color from smacking themselves and opening old wounds and that the blade was just to make it better, in any case I wouldn't want scars like Abby or Manny Fernandez anyways!!

One trick I like is to take an alka seltzer and bite into it, it makes the foaming at the mouth trick look great, but tastes awful.

The Saviour of Misbehaviour
Member # 4152

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Saviour of Misbehaviour     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's always pig's blood and vodka to simulate internal injuries, ala Invader 3-Manny Fernandez

--------------------
“Hearing the words, ‘The land of the free and home of the brave’ means something special for every American, every day,” Harris added later in his speech. “But today, on Dec. 7, it takes on extraordinary significance.”

Bud Miller
Member # 27129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bud Miller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Saviour of Misbehaviour:
There's always pig's blood and vodka to simulate internal injuries, ala Invader 3-Manny Fernandez

Remind me to never order a Bloody Mary in Puerto Rico...

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations