WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » And now Jerry Lawler has a podcast.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: And now Jerry Lawler has a podcast.
Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Armageddon_T_Thunderbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got to say, I've been wanting this for a long time. It's called Dinner with the King and it can be found at this link, starting tomorrow.

http://www.podavenue.com/dinnerwiththeking/

New episodes every Wednesday starting March 8!

Pull up a chair and enjoy a BBQ-style wrestling feast for your ears as Jerry “The King” Lawler and Glenn Moore bring you Dinner With The King!

The King will go in-depth about some classic wrestling stories and matches and discuss some of the major storylines in WWE today. The duo will also mix in pop culture — King’s love for Batman, Superman, and his amazing collection — and some sports. All of this and more as you picture yourself in King’s BBQ joint.

He might even have some surprise dinner guests!

This now leaves the number of wrestlers that do not have a podcast at 4.

[ 03-07-2017, 05:41 AM: Message edited by: Armageddon_T_Thunderbird ]

--------------------
Your uncrowned NWA Heavyweight Champion of the World.

IP: Logged
White Fang from WA
Member # 1458

Icon 1 posted      Profile for White Fang from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt I'll check it out for any wrestling content unless it turns out to have particularly great backstories he hasn't already told, which I'm not predicting. But Lawler is a cool fount of old pop culture devotion. He has some pretty good Batmobile & Adam West stories.

[ 03-07-2017, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: White Fang from WA ]

--------------------
The reason raindances work is because they don't stop dancing until it rains.

Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Armageddon_T_Thunderbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just listened to the first podcast. It was short compared to the others (about 40 mins). He talked about being taken off tv, thinking he had been released, then signing a new contract with the WWe. Most of the conversation was WWe related, but he did say we was going to talk about everything else later on.

Not a bad first show, not a great first show, but it's a start.

--------------------

Stephen Gennarelli
Member # 21747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Gennarelli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I listened to the first 2 shows and much like his matches and his career, Jerry Lawler can keep you interested and get your attention.
I look forward to seeing where the show goes and hopefully it will cover all aspects of his wide ranging career.

habsfan87 from NL
Member # 8038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for habsfan87 from NL         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Armageddon_T_Thunderbird:
Just listened to the first podcast. It was short compared to the others (about 40 mins). He talked about being taken off tv, thinking he had been released, then signing a new contract with the WWe. Most of the conversation was WWe related, but he did say we was going to talk about everything else later on.

Not a bad first show, not a great first show, but it's a start.

The shortness is a positive for me. So many shows now.
Loucifer from CA
Member # 29820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loucifer from CA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The soundbed that tries to replicate the ambiance of a busy restaurant has to go. They were upfront about Lawler recording from his home and the co-host being in Cleveland, so this particular conceit adds nothing. I know Lawler has two restaurants he needs to plug, but I'm not going to hang around if I hear that stupid phone ring for a 78th time.
Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

I thought Lawler was actually in his BBQ place doing the podcast, at least that's what they said at the beginning of the first episode.

The constant phone ringing did get a bit old. I was hoping Lawler would have told one of his waitresses to pick up the damn phone already.

--------------------

FuzzFace
Member # 98738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FuzzFace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New episodes every Wednesday!

not.

--------------------
FREE BEER PARTY 7-8 PM FOR ALL FANS

Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

quote:
Originally posted by FuzzFace:
New episodes every Wednesday!

not.

He put out two episodes last week, the second one was supposed to be this week's show, apparently. So you should have waited until this last Wednesday to listen to the second one. Don't blame the King for your lack of self control. [Smile]

--------------------

FuzzFace
Member # 98738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FuzzFace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well... ok I guess. But I'm hungry for more BBQ.

--------------------

FuzzFace
Member # 98738

it's Wednesday and dropped.

--------------------

FuzzFace
Member # 98738

--------------------

Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

In the McMemphis show, Lawler started talking about getting the Memphis shows on the network and explaining what he does and doesn't own.

He said there is still controversy about the USWA footage that went from 88 to 96, but he said he owns the footage from 77 to 88 and from 96 on.

I heard a few years back, from a friend of Lawler that sold dvds of Memphis wrestling (mainly Lawler footage, and brought Lawler in a few times for signings) that he was talking to someone in Dallas, I believe, about buying their collection of of tapes that supposedly had close to the entire run of 80s Memphis tv shows on it.

What I don't get is how the CWA was turned into the USWA by the original owners, then the USWA was sold, but the CWA footage, which was used a lot during the USWA years, not be included in that?? And does buying footage from someone else actually make you the sole legal owner of it if you used to own the company with someone else?

I told Cornette about the footage a few years back and he said he guaranteed he still owned more Memphis footage than Lawler did.

--------------------

REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for REO Speeddealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm surprised to hear that he owns the 1977-88 footage, since so little of it appeared on the Lawler Blu-Ray a couple of years ago.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't wait for the Ralphus podcast...and the Moppy podcast...and the Pepe the hobby horse podcast...and the Rocco the dummy podcast...
Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
Can't wait for the Ralphus podcast...and the Moppy podcast...and the Pepe the hobby horse podcast...and the Rocco the dummy podcast...

With the way the Jericho podcasting network is growing, I think Ralphus is next in line for a show. Sadly, I believe Moppy, Pepe and Rocco are no longer with us. [Frown]

--------------------

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Armageddon_T_Thunderbird:
Sadly, I believe Moppy, Pepe and Rocco are no longer with us. [Frown]

*BONG*
Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

There is a bonus show up this week that has the R&R Express on it the day after the HOF. Another enjoyable short podcast with some good stories in it.

--------------------

Lucky Starr
Member # 1807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky Starr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it worth a listen? So many podcasts so little time.

--------------------
The STATION CLUB 80 Radio Show - playing all the music genres from the 80s every 3rd Saturday of the month
Official FB page: https://www.facebook.com/stationclub80/

Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

quote:
Originally posted by Lucky Starr:
Is it worth a listen? So many podcasts so little time.

I like it, but I'm a long time Lawler and Memphis fan.

--------------------

Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

Well, this week's show has Lawler talking about the JBL situation, and he had this to say about it.

"I'm a JBL fan," Lawler stated. "Here's the thing about JBL; you have to know the guy. And if you don't get an opportunity to really know JBL, you can be offended. JBL is a funny guy. He's a big guy. He's boisterous. He comes across as, sometimes, crude and loud. But you gotta know him. That's just JBL. He's the same guy on commentary as he is in catering."

So I guess JBL giving his son, the alleged, soapy bottom treatment, was all just in good fun.

--------------------

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Fan of The King but even I wanna take a sh*it in his crown now.
Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
Fan of The King but even I wanna take a sh*it in his crown now.

Yeah, that's another thing. I had always heard that Lawler went to Vince over that and Vince told everyone to not treat Lawler like that. Doesn't sound like he took it as a light hearted rib to me.

Then again, on the show that he had the R&R Express on, they brought up how they used to do the "Equilibrium Test" on the new guys, which basically involved someone walking backwards with their finger sticking out behind them, thinking they was supposed to hit a certain spot on the wall, but instead usually wound up in Jimmy Valiant's ass.

--------------------

Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

Today's show had a very awkward, but funny, moment at 26:50. A listener asked Lawler what his favorite set of puppies were, Lawler didn't really want to answer because Lauren was there and she said "Sable, duh" Lawler said he didn't want to say Sable and get the stink eye from Brock next time they are together, then his co-host, Glenn, says "My favorite set of puppies, you might know her King...the Cat." Lawler makes a grunt noise and says "Yeah...well, you can talk about that if you want to...I'm not going to." Then Glenn laughs it off and says Trish.

--------------------

NYindyfan
Member # 125634

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NYindyfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to listen to more. I only listened to the one that had Starmaker Kenny Bolin on it.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations