WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » David Crockett just being David Crockett

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: David Crockett just being David Crockett
HMFiles from WA
Member # 598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HMFiles from WA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XySMPWKzMHo

The first match in this video from early 1987 (following a Road Warriors promo) sees Barry Windham, one half of the US Tag Team Champions, in a squash.

David Crockett flubs and calls him "United States Heavyweight Champion" and Tony Schiavone is quick to gracefully and gently mention that Barry is "a US Champion on a tag team" or something like that.

NWA TV squashes from 1987 were typically about 90 seconds long, so you'd think that was the end of that.

Nope.

Crockett calls Windham the "US Heavyweight Champion" two more times!

If you use your imagination, you can clearly see Schiavone facepalming and giving up.

--------------------
Here's to Mark.

IP: Logged
Big Daddy Meatybone
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Daddy Meatybone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did he also say "Get' em, Barry!" during the squash

--------------------
~BIG DADDY MEATYBONE
_ _ _ _ _____ _ _ _ _

"If people fall asleep in front of the TV, it still counts as a rating point" ~ Dave Meltzer, 2009

"A draw is like kissing your sister" ~ Larry Nelson, 1987

Kid Chrome
Member # 5607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Chrome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny, I watched this yesterday and was thinking the same thing.
hate sports entertainment
Member # 126344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hate sports entertainment     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best is when Magnum kissed Baby Doll and ole David had the look on his mug like a 12 year discovering his dad's Playboys. LOL!!!
Greg Ganja
Member # 1677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg Ganja     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome episode. I don't even get how the last match turned into a lumberjack match between Flair and Windham but I loved every second of it.

--------------------
Your old lady's old lady has got skinnier legs!!!
---
And BABY DOLL...shame on you mama...cause I know you better than anyone!

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Ganja:
Awesome episode. I don't even get how the last match turned into a lumberjack match between Flair and Windham but I loved every second of it.

Sometimes Dusty booked on acid.

"And then Ronnie Gah-vin gets hurt. On his knees. His kneesies gets hurt. And Na-keeta comes down and takes his place. But then Jay Jay interferes...and takes off his shoe, but I roll him up, and Tommy Young counts da pin!!! FUNKY LIKE A MONKEY, BAY-BEE!!!"

Greg Ganja
Member # 1677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg Ganja     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
quote:

"And then Ronnie Gah-vin gets hurt. On his knees. His kneesies gets hurt. And Na-keeta comes down and takes his place. But then Jay Jay interferes...and takes off his shoe, but I roll him up, and Tommy Young counts da pin!!! FUNKY LIKE A MONKEY, BAY-BEE!!!"

Lol...no doubt. He's still one of my favorite bookers though.

--------------------
---

Andy from NY
Member # 7701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andy from NY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"David, I know why you're here, but tell me, Tony, who are you related to?" - Jim Cornette
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

When he was "on," there were few better. But when he was "off" (and didn't have anyone filling in his plot holes or keeping him on track), he was absolutely awful.

[ 03-10-2017, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: Shaving Weezie Jefferson ]

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Andy from NY:
"David, I know why you're here, but tell me, Tony, who are you related to?" - Jim Cornette

This. Tony ended up being a bigger cluck than David.

So long from the Sunshine State!

--------------------
If you lames are the master race, my money's on the mud people.---Andrew Vachss

Future Endeavor
Member # 1470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future Endeavor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hate sports entertainment:
The best is when Magnum kissed Baby Doll and ole David had the look on his mug like a 12 year discovering his dad's Playboys. LOL!!!

"SHE LIIIIIKKKKKKKEESSSS IT!!! SHE LIIIIIKKKKKKKEESSSS IT!!!"

--------------------
You can take the Hockey out of Canada, but you can't take the Canadian out of Hockey.

http://www.facebook.com/thevoiceofyourchoice

Future Endeavor
Member # 1470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future Endeavor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Andy from NY:

Nobody related, but relates to anything going on in the squared circle as the greatest thing in the history of our sport.

--------------------
You can take the Hockey out of Canada, but you can't take the Canadian out of Hockey.

http://www.facebook.com/thevoiceofyourchoice

The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll get roasted I'm sure but I enjoyed David Crockett. Over the top? Sure. But he made it entertaining.

[ 03-13-2017, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: The Coach ]

--------------------
"If I had realized that you people would be so damned stupid as to give the world champion $750,000, I would have made myself the champion." — Ole Anderson, to the executives at WCW and WTBS

Greg Ganja
Member # 1677

quote:
Originally posted by The Coach:
I'll get roasted I'm sure but I enjoyed David Crockett. Over the top? Sure. But he made it entertaining.

Yeah and I realized that as the years had progressed...David was fun in an annoying way at times. Good enthusiasm for sure...way better than Vince's over the top junk.

--------------------
---

Someone from Rwanda
Member # 22010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Someone from Rwanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crockett was harmless. I think right around the same time they were putting George Steele through some sort of shock therapy skit over in the WWF, so I'll take Dave and his occasional hootin and hoolerin any day.
Greg Ganja
Member # 1677

quote:
Originally posted by Someone from Rwanda:
Crockett was harmless. I think right around the same time they were putting George Steele through some sort of shock therapy skit over in the WWF, so I'll take Dave and his occasional hootin and hoolerin any day.

+ 1!!!!

--------------------
---

Happ Hazzard
Member # 4893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Happ Hazzard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crockett should have stayed commentating once Turner bought WCW. He was always entertaining and got the babyfaces over and that was always a problem with late 80s and early 90s WCW, the heels were generally more charismatic and better workers than the babyfaces.
Happ Hazzard
Member # 4893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Happ Hazzard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did Jim Ross and David Crockett ever work as an announcing duo?
bmack71
Member # 120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bmack71     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What was David Crockett's role in the business other than commentary?
Greg Ganja
Member # 1677

quote:
Originally posted by bmack71:

A lot of backstage / office stuff actually. It seems like he wore a lot of hats in both JCP and WCW.

[ 03-15-2017, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: Greg Ganja ]

--------------------
---

Diceman Cometh
Member # 123755

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diceman Cometh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bmack71:

A lot of backstage / office stuff actually. It seems like he wore a lot of hats in both JCP and WCW.
Tony Schiavone said in his podcast that DC did most of the legwork for whatever they needed. I don't remember the specific examples, but they'd decide they were going to do something and he'd be the guy who arranged for the location, any props, any additional people, etc. Anything that wasn't part of a regular show, he's the guy who made it happen.

--------------------
I'll be at the craps table.

Someone from Rwanda
Member # 22010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Someone from Rwanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So he's the poor sap who had to make sure Robocop had the right plastic suit?
Mon-Ray-Al
Member # 3439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mon-Ray-Al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

When he was "on," there were few better. But when he was "off" (and didn't have anyone filling in his plot holes or keeping him on track), he was absolutely awful.
For the time period I was watching in the 80s, I don't remember anything having being considered "awful" booking-wise. Maybe the Dusty finishes were annoying but other than that...

--------------------
THE FIRE WITHIN

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations