WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » The Rise And Fall Of Ahmed Johnson

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Rise And Fall Of Ahmed Johnson
TheBob
Member # 123058

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahmed Johnson was once a highly touted superstar for the WWF, but his quick rise was followed by a quick drop. Injuries, nonsensical story-telling and attitude held him back from achieving fame. The Rise and Fall of Ahmed Johnson.

https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2017/02/26/the-rise-and-fall-of-ahmed-johnson/

IP: Logged
TerryR
Member # 5671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved Ahmed at that point, especially when he won the battle royal hanging upside down. He was so explosive and as you mentioned had a great look. Too bad it was so quick for him and he wasn't able to make that next climb up to main event.
habsfan87 from NL
Member # 8038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for habsfan87 from NL         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Loved him as a kid. He was like a black Goldberg.
Mon-Ray-Al
Member # 3439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mon-Ray-Al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by habsfan87 from NL:
Loved him as a kid. He was like a black Goldberg.

When he came at first he was a pretty damn impressive dude with a charisma and badass demeanors, he had "it", he was a star instantly and had future World Champ written all over him.

But he was done pretty quickly.

I remember at some point(might have been the summer of 95 or 96) where he won a battle royale for the contendership of a belt(think it was for the IC title) where Goldust was a finalist of. Well Ahmed got injured and they got to remake the Battle Royale with this time Goldust winning it. (I thought it was pretty hilarious but anyway...) It took quite some time for Ahmed to return and when he did he was never the same. He didn't move the same way, he couldn't quite do his usual impact moves. Back then I didn't quite understand why but it's probably cause he had gained a lot of weight during his injury. But he really never was the same. Even the whole "street fight" teaming with LOD against the Nation was pretty awkward and a mess.

--------------------
THE FIRE WITHIN

Herd72
Member # 107695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Herd72     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just as someone watching - he had a great look but appeared to be somewhat a sloppy worker. Maybe it was dangerous to work with him? I saw several "Pearl River Plunges" that looked as if they legit hurt his opponents. Only an observation, not sure if he had that rep or not.
Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone complained about having to work with him.

--------------------
follow me on twitter at: @mattfarmer93
www.defywrestling.com
http://mlwradio.com/

PartsUnknown77 From ND
Member # 8970

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PartsUnknown77 From ND     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I completely forgot about him being "Big T" in WCW. Was that part of Master P's deal?

--------------------
"I live in a big house, on the big side of town" -Ric Flair

davephlegmball
Member # 5163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davephlegmball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JT Smith > Ahmed Johnson
Dan P-170
Member # 32

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P-170     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No he was part of the feud between Booker T. and Stevie Ray. He and Stevie became Harlem Heat 2000 and they did an angle where Booker lost the rights to the "T"
Mon-Ray-Al
Member # 3439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mon-Ray-Al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fighting over a letter. ******* Russo.

--------------------
THE FIRE WITHIN

John from CT
Member # 50

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John from CT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a good, thorough read on the Ahmed phenomenon.

In fall '95, I was 10 years old and falling hard for wrestling, and you couldn't convince me that Ahmed Johnson wouldn't be a main eventer within a year.

I doubt he'd ever become a great storyteller or smooth worker, but he was so damn explosive.

Looking back, I still get a twisted enjoyment out of his matches. It always feels like somebody is a second away from getting injured (whether it's Ahmed or his opponent is anyone's guess).

It's too bad he couldn't stay healthy. He lost a lot of zip, fast, and once the weight piled on there was no turning back.

bAzTNM
Member # 8494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bAzTNM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once he won the IC title that was it for him. Right at the moment it went downhill..fast.

--------------------
From Scotland!

My website with random stuff

John Williamson
Member # 127199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Williamson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I honestly thought he would be World Champion. His initial push was something akin to Goldberg. A powerhouse, afraid of nothing and looked good.

As notes, when things started slipping they really started slipping.

Blue Thunder
Member # 4504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Thunder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If there was ever a believable badass, it was him. He had the build of a Hercules and the agility of a cat.

--------------------
"Racism is evil"- Donald Trump

tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamalie from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahmed Johnson was a hot item from late 1995 into mid 1997. Apart from him being sloppy and hurting guys, he was getting hurt himself constantly, derailing pushes in the process. By the end of 1997 and into early 1998 he was just another guy in the mix, something he either didn't understand or wouldn't accept. At a time pre-WM14 when it looked as if Kurrgan was being built as a monster heel for a likely run with the Undertaker, Ahmed was booked to lose cleanly and relatively quickly to Kurrgan's claw hold. He refused and was fired, a firing that had no impact given how far his stock had fallen.
Dan P-170
Member # 32

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P-170     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jim Cornette told a story about how Ahmed's ego had gotten so big that he was booked to work a show for Dennis Coralluzzo and refused to go unless they sent a limo to pick him up. Dennis gets in the ring, tells all the fans the situation, and gives them the phone and room number to the hotel he's staying at so they can tell him what they think.
mikeyosmond
Member # 128654

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikeyosmond   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan P-170:
Jim Cornette told a story about how Ahmed's ego had gotten so big that he was booked to work a show for Dennis Coralluzzo and refused to go unless they sent a limo to pick him up. Dennis gets in the ring, tells all the fans the situation, and gives them the phone and room number to the hotel he's staying at so they can tell him what they think.

WOW! Wonder how many fans did call.
jlaroccapremier
Member # 118762

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlaroccapremier   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly, I really liked Ahmed Johnson. He was intense, looked like a million bucks and had a great finisher.

I remember seeing pictures of him in Global as Moadib and he looked like a monster. I was pretty excited when he showed up in the WWF.

He was booked smart from the start and everything built up great to his IC title win over Goldust at KOTR 1996. Goldust put on a great performance making Johnson's win come off big.

Once he got injured that was it. He came back and could never get out of the blocks like before.

If he had his head on straight, no doubt he would have World Champion.

PVM
Member # 121669

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PVM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jlaroccapremier:
I remember seeing pictures of him in Global as Moadib and he looked like a monster. I was pretty excited when he showed up in the WWF.

I remember seeing a Moadib picture in an Apter mag when he was in Global and thinking he was maybe the most physically imposing wrestler I'd ever seen. I knew he'd show up in WWF or WCW very soon because there was no way a guy like that wouldn't get a spot somewhere bigger soon.
bAzTNM
Member # 8494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bAzTNM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kane hit him with a dodgy tombstone when he used to walk-in on matches. It looked seriously dodgy.

Did the same to Crush when it was his last appearance before going to WCW.

ADDED: He was just constantly injured, then The Rock came along.

[ 02-28-2017, 12:06 AM: Message edited by: bAzTNM ]

--------------------
From Scotland!

My website with random stuff

Cone Stold
Member # 19963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cone Stold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahmed was a super talent but really didn't know how to work. Sometimes we talk about guys being good or bad workers for a variety of reasons but Ahmed was bad on the simplest and most important level. Not injuring people is the biggest thing. Ahmed was dangerous to his opponents and himself. I know some guys that worked shows with him and he would blindly throw guys not protecting them at all. Give me a boring but not dangerous worker like Lex anyday.
hate sports entertainment
Member # 126344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hate sports entertainment     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mon-Ray-Al:
Fighting over a letter. ******* Russo.

Sullivan was booking.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations