WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Tony Schiavone podcast on MLW (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Tony Schiavone podcast on MLW
brawler2711
Member # 26849

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brawler2711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Noticed this today, starts this Monday.

From Starrcade '83 to March 26, 2001, Tony Schiavone was the voice of professional wrestling below the Mason-Dixon Line. Though the Monday Night Wars may be over you can still relive the memories of Jim Crockett Promotions and World Championship Wrestling on #WhatHappenedWhen every Monday on the MLW Radio Network!

Hosted by the Voice of WCW, Tony Schiavone and his tag team partner, Conrad Thompson, journey back to the era of the Superstation, Monday Nitro, the big gold belt, the mothership (if you willll), War Games, the nWo and much more with stories never told before.

http://www.mlwradio.com/what-happened-when-.html

--------------------
"I'll be with 20 in-laws...hhhmmm..we'll see. But, 7 of the 20 are my nieces (in their early to mid 20's), so I'll enjoy seeing a few of them at the pool, and on the beach.At least the "scenery" should be enjoyable. [Smile]"
Sir Tojo

IP: Logged
Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Armageddon_T_Thunderbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was going to post this too, but you was just too quick on the draw.

Sounds like they are going to do the podcast like Prichard's, hopefully it will be as good.

--------------------
Your uncrowned NWA Heavyweight Champion of the World.

Now on the twitter machine - @Armageddon_t-bird.

Cattle_Mutilation
Member # 59807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cattle_Mutilation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This should be fantastic!

--------------------
Never Drew A Dime!

Any person applying for the position of pro wrestling referee must be of physical unfitness to the degree that the slightest nudge would render him irretrievably unconscious.

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As grumpy as he seemed in the dying days of WCW (probably with good reason), Tony comes across nowadays as one of the nicest, most at-peace guys around. Got a feeling this will be a great show.
habsfan87 from NL
Member # 8038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for habsfan87 from NL         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could do without that Conrad guy.

[ 01-27-2017, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: habsfan87 from NL ]

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by habsfan87 from NL:

He's a good wrangler. Keeps personalities on course. Anybody capable of babysitting Flair the way he did is worth his weight in gold.
habsfan87 from NL
Member # 8038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for habsfan87 from NL         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
quote:

He's a good wrangler. Keeps personalities on course. Anybody capable of babysitting Flair the way he did is worth his weight in gold.
To each their own, but I find him unbearable on Bruce Prichard's podcast. He asks follow up questions about things that don't need to be expanded upon. He interrupts Prichard at times when he shouldn't, and he doesn't exactly have a "radio voice".
Age Of Q DMS NYC
Member # 6038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Age Of Q DMS NYC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

To each their own, but I find him unbearable on Bruce Prichard's podcast. He asks follow up questions about things that don't need to be expanded upon. He interrupts Prichard at times when he shouldn't, and he doesn't exactly have a "radio voice".
I gotta disagree.
IMO Conrad sounds like a pro, is well researched, and asks the questions that fans want to know. I enjoy his rappaport with Bruce Prichard. I like that he gives push back to Bruce when he feels that were getting BSed about something.

Very excited about the new show with Tony.

[ 01-27-2017, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: Age Of Q DMS NYC ]

John Williamson
Member # 127199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Williamson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always liked Schiavone. It's true, he was poor towards the end, but he was far from the main problem. And if he had been great he wouldn't have made much difference anyway. I always thought he was a good announcer.
glorifiedkaraoke
Member # 46301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glorifiedkaraoke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He used to say that the Hogan/Bossman cage match at MSG in 1989 was his favorite match to ever call. I wonder if he still feels that way.
Mr. Piggy
Member # 45675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Piggy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very happy Conrad will be on another show. Should be a great show with Tony.
Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Armageddon_T_Thunderbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess Flair is going to have a different co-host when he comes back, or is just going to go solo.

I can't wait for the first time when Tony is telling a story and is getting to the good part, to go "Fans, we're all out of time, we will see you next week."

--------------------

Greg Ganja
Member # 1677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg Ganja     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you were a fan lucky enough to be in the biz from Starrcade '83 and see the great things JCP did in the 80s firsthand...I'd be sour as hell too in 2001 WCW or WWE. I always liked Tony. He's got great stories I'm sure.

Conrad rocks. I could do without the superfan in him asking the most obscure stuff at times but that's probably more reflective of me not knowing much about the era and product he and Bruce are covering.

[ 01-27-2017, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: Greg Ganja ]

--------------------
Your old lady's old lady has got skinnier legs!!!
---
And BABY DOLL...shame on you mama...cause I know you better than anyone!

gulascantfoolus
Member # 6964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gulascantfoolus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GREATEST PODCAST IN THE HISTORY OF INTERNET

--------------------
gulascantfoolus is the greatest
user name EVER regardless of any silly contest

Herd72
Member # 107695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Herd72     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you know ... you take the chicken πŸ”πŸ₯πŸ”
White Fang from WA
Member # 1458

Icon 1 posted      Profile for White Fang from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Somebody ought to get his limiter off super ultra smash mode.

--------------------
The reason raindances work is because they don't stop dancing until it rains.

White Fang from WA
Member # 1458

Icon 1 posted      Profile for White Fang from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

I've only caught the Dusty episode so far and that doesn't describe Conrad at all in my opinion.

Alice Radley was unbearable. Conrad has value and doesn't approach that.

--------------------

Herd72
Member # 107695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Herd72     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even Alice Radley was better than "Inappropriate Earl" on Piper's podcast. The absolute worst right now is Joel on Chael Sonnen's Your Welcome. It makes zero sense - Piper and Sonnen are two of the greatest talkers ever why do they need a sidekick? With no guests - take away Conrad and you just have ...........................................................Bruce Prichard arguing with himself.
Big Daddy Meatybone
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Daddy Meatybone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This will be the greatest podcast in the history of our sport

--------------------
~BIG DADDY MEATYBONE
_ _ _ _ _____ _ _ _ _

"If people fall asleep in front of the TV, it still counts as a rating point" ~ Dave Meltzer, 2009

"A draw is like kissing your sister" ~ Larry Nelson, 1987

gulascantfoolus
Member # 6964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gulascantfoolus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Big Daddy Meatybone:
This will be the greatest podcast in the history of our sport

A little late there buddy [Big Grin]

--------------------
gulascantfoolus is the greatest
user name EVER regardless of any silly contest

White Fang from WA
Member # 1458

Pritchard's impressions are amazing, second only to Jay Lethal's as far as my experience goes. The way he delivers Randy Savage's final line in the story about the match with Dusty being rebooked makes it kinda the best funny wrestling story I've ever heard on a podcast.

--------------------

Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

Listening to Schiavone's podcast now. He start's off by saying "I just wanted to say that this is the greatest podcast in the history...aww F*** it, i'm not going to do that." [Big Grin]

Not bad so far, all about Goldberg. Good listen for the first show and I wouldn't be surprised if it gets better when Tony gets used to podcasting.

They are also going to put up a poll about what next weeks show will be about, just like they do on Prichard's show.

[ 01-30-2017, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: Armageddon_T_Thunderbird ]

--------------------

Kilroy
Member # 53

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kilroy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good first podcast. Tony needs some prompting to remember stuff but he's honest and man, when you hear how effed up things were with the people that ran WCW it's amazing they lasted (and thrived at times) as long as they did..
bcthomas
Member # 125485

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcthomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm really excited to see where this podcast goes. Schiavone is set. He's got nothing to worry with as far as burning bridges, so this seems like it could be the rawest, realest podcast on the market.
Big Daddy Meatybone
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Daddy Meatybone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That Meng story about his son that Tony told was hilarious.
I love most of the Prichard podcasts on MLW although not all subjects interest me. I laughed twice as much with Tony and learned about as many new things in that first episode than I learned in 3 Prichard episode scombined

--------------------
~BIG DADDY MEATYBONE
_ _ _ _ _____ _ _ _ _

"If people fall asleep in front of the TV, it still counts as a rating point" ~ Dave Meltzer, 2009

"A draw is like kissing your sister" ~ Larry Nelson, 1987

brawler2711
Member # 26849

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brawler2711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meng: "My kids don't listen to me"
Tony: "Remind them who the F**k you are"

--------------------
"I'll be with 20 in-laws...hhhmmm..we'll see. But, 7 of the 20 are my nieces (in their early to mid 20's), so I'll enjoy seeing a few of them at the pool, and on the beach.At least the "scenery" should be enjoyable. [Smile]"
Sir Tojo

Greg Ganja
Member # 1677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg Ganja     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The most dangerous guy on the planet can't handle his son. Yup fatherhood is really that tough!!!!

--------------------
Your old lady's old lady has got skinnier legs!!!
---
And BABY DOLL...shame on you mama...cause I know you better than anyone!

Lucky Starr
Member # 1807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky Starr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not bad at all for a first.

Loved Schiavone's suggestion to call it ''The WTF podcast'' for ''What The F**k were we doing?'' [Big Grin]

[ 02-02-2017, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: Lucky Starr ]

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Schiavone's Twitter feed is hilarious. He's great at swatting trolls.
hegs
Member # 6125

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hegs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoyed the first show, even though I was not/am not a Goldberg fan. With some of the great topics in the poll, I was extremely disappointed that Souled Out won this week. I think too many 80s options diluted the voting.
Age Of Q DMS NYC
Member # 6038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Age Of Q DMS NYC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hegs:
I enjoyed the first show, even though I was not/am not a Goldberg fan. With some of the great topics in the poll, I was extremely disappointed that Souled Out won this week. I think too many 80s options diluted the voting.

Im also disappointed that Souled Out won. I hope enough old school fans start being aware of the podcast and will vote so we can hear more JCP/Early Turner era stuff. I was hoping the JCP sale to Turner would have won the poll. Would have been happy with anything besides Souled Out. Im sure it will be a fine listen nonetheless.
Mon-Ray-Al
Member # 3439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mon-Ray-Al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope there's going to be as many awesome stories as the one he told on the Flair podcast that Ric woke him up with the Black Scorpion mask on while naked under his bathrobe.

--------------------
THE FIRE WITHIN

Idol I
Member # 4061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Idol I     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is my new favorite podcast, something about hearing Tony swear is really entertaining to me.

--------------------
http://TheHistoryofWWE.com/

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Schiavone's great. He annoyed me during the dying days of WCW but he's literally one of my favorite old school rasslin' personalities these days. Would love to hear him chat with David Crockett at some point. David's also a really good guy (no matter what I thought of his announcing).
Palmettopig
Member # 50706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Palmettopig     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fun podcast, but I really want to hear some JCP stories

--------------------
Follow on twitter @dixiefriedsport

glorifiedkaraoke
Member # 46301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glorifiedkaraoke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by glorifiedkaraoke:
He used to say that the Hogan/Bossman cage match at MSG in 1989 was his favorite match to ever call. I wonder if he still feels that way.

Heard Tony on Busted Open on Friday and he still maintains this was his greatest day in wrestling. From New York to Boston doing the same card in March 1989.
Kilroy
Member # 53

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kilroy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just have to bump this up and say that Tony's closing "WE'RE OUT OF TIME!!" on his podcasts now make me laugh as hard as anything going today..if you haven't listened to his last few podcasts, especially when he's discussing Klondike Bill, you MUST...lol..
Someone from Rwanda
Member # 22010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Someone from Rwanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by John Williamson:
I always liked Schiavone. It's true, he was poor towards the end, but he was far from the main problem.

He probably had just called a match involving the No Limit Soldiers. Then they made him hawk a can of Surge soda in between segments.

Yeah, I would have started putting my head down too.

brawler2711
Member # 26849

Some of those Klondike Bill stories...damn!

--------------------
Sir Tojo

Kilroy
Member # 53

quote:
Originally posted by brawler2711:
Some of those Klondike Bill stories...damn!

"AND HERE COMES KLONDIKE BILL WITH A PANTIE ON HIS HEAD, WE'RE OUT OF TIME, TAPE MACHINES ARE ROLLINGGGGG, WE GOTTA GOOOO!"
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations