WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » NBA - DNP's due to "rest" (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: NBA - DNP's due to "rest"
Gabba Hey
Member # 20936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabba Hey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why the Cavs benched there big 3 against the Clippers on a nationally televised game is beyond me. I understand Kyrie, he tweaked an ankle. And I know it's another back to back with the Lakers tomorrow. Why not split it up, myself and the rest of the world would have liked to see a more competitive game, against the Clippers. Just a waste of TV time.

--------------------
Im your huckleberry - Tombstone -- Sometimes to beat the bully. you have to be the bully. Michael Jordan. vs the Pistons

IP: Logged
jjmike
Member # 3833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jjmike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The whole issue started when Greg Popovich did it because he had a team that included several older, often banged up players. Now coaches who are not even anywhere close to being as smart as Popovich(even if they won titles themselves)think they have to do it too so they can show what a brilliant tactician they are.
Bnicholas
Member # 23863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bnicholas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gabba Hey:
Why the Cavs benched there big 3 against the Clippers on a nationally televised game is beyond me. I understand Kyrie, he tweaked an ankle. And I know it's another back to back with the Lakers tomorrow. Why not split it up, myself and the rest of the world would have liked to see a more competitive game, against the Clippers. Just a waste of TV time.

Like I said 3 posts ago:

To me the this is similar to what Popovich used to do. He would rest his top players against better teams so that if they lost, they shrug. It's a mind game. The Warriors play San Antonio with all their guys (minus Durant) and they lose, then come playoff time maybe it is in their head. They throw this game away, a game they may lose either way, and they have an excuse. Meanwhile they make sure they win against lesser teams as opposed to possibly dropping a gimmee game to the Sixers or whatnot.

Tatsuya
Member # 80195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tatsuya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty much started with Duncan....Pop even listed "Old" as the reason for DNP

Jalen also brought up a point about teams shutting down players to protect their lottery status. Nets did it last year with Lopez and Thaddeus Young....Nets didn't have their first round pick last year (well won't until 2019....) so in that case it was to protect their assets from injuries because they knew they were going to trade one of them for a first round pick (which turned out to be Thad Young for Caris LeVert)

jjmike
Member # 3833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jjmike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The big issue with that theory this season is that the Cavs and Warriors don't have a big enough cushion to mess around. If they end up losing a couple of the "easy" games they figured they would win, they could also lose the number 1 seed in the conference. The difference between playing the 7 seed instead of the 8 seed may not be that rough for the Cavs in the East, but could really suck for the Warriors in the West.(but if the Cavs have a few more bad weeks, 2 teams could pass them intead of just 1)
Tatsuya
Member # 80195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tatsuya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Van Gundy always did have a knack for hyperbole but no one is happy about this trend

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/03/19/a-prosecutable-offense-cavs-ripped-for-resting-lebron-fellow-stars-in-high-profile-game/?utm_term=.bd6f587ca1db

brawler2711
Member # 26849

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brawler2711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dem kiddos lose out the most...

their parents shell out a ton of loot to see LeBron and the dude wont play.

it would be like going to a rasslin show in 1985 and having Hogan not come out of the locker room to rassle his match.

--------------------
"I'll be with 20 in-laws...hhhmmm..we'll see. But, 7 of the 20 are my nieces (in their early to mid 20's), so I'll enjoy seeing a few of them at the pool, and on the beach.At least the "scenery" should be enjoyable. [Smile]"
Sir Tojo

Gabba Hey
Member # 20936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabba Hey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I came up with the idea yesterday, if they want to bench the stars on the road, they should at least sign autographs and take pictures for the kids in the concession areas. That would at least send them home happy.

--------------------
Im your huckleberry - Tombstone -- Sometimes to beat the bully. you have to be the bully. Michael Jordan. vs the Pistons

A Gene Wilder Somersault
Member # 128207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Gene Wilder Somersault     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by brawler2711:
dem kiddos lose out the most...

their parents shell out a ton of loot to see LeBron and the dude wont play.

it would be like going to a rasslin show in 1985 and having Hogan not come out of the locker room to rassle his match.

If it's 1985 and I'm a kid at a wrestling show and Hulk Hogan does not appear, there is at least a 30% chance I burn the arena down.
Matt Prentice
Member # 127729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Prentice   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jjmike:
The whole issue started when Greg Popovich did it because he had a team that included several older, often banged up players. Now coaches who are not even anywhere close to being as smart as Popovich(even if they won titles themselves)think they have to do it too so they can show what a brilliant tactician they are.

There's definitely something to that.
Matt Prentice
Member # 127729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Prentice   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vulture:
I kinda get the sense that Michael Jordan would scoff at the idea of rest days. He did have that love of the game clause after all, that let him play pickup games whenever. Looking at his stats I counted 9 seasons where he played 82 games, one where he played 81 games, one where he played 80 games. I'm not saying he would be right, it's probably not for everyone, it's just interesting. Obviously it worked out ok for him. But MJ is crazy lol

Jordan couldn't shave points on the bench.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations