WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » NBA - DNP's due to "rest" (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: NBA - DNP's due to "rest"
Tatsuya
Member # 80195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tatsuya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand the logic behind resting your superstars but give that it is a superstar driven league, I just think it rips off the fans who pay to see them play.

I'll watch every Nets game no matter how terrible they are (and the are terrible) but I also like to see good players. Last night, the Spurs rested Kawhi Leonard. Compounded that with the Nets resting the one bright spot this year....rookie Caris LeVert. Just took a lot of the luster (how little there may have been) out of it.

I mean crap, imagine going to a game in the 80's and 90's and not seeing Jordan, Magic or Bird due to rest. I went to a Nets game in the mid 90's against the Utah Jazz. The Jazz probably would have wiped the floor with them had they rested Stockton and Malone. But they didn't and it was cool to see them play live.

IP: Logged
ckb_nc
Member # 71425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ckb_nc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never heard of this in the 80s or 90s.
Tatsuya
Member # 80195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tatsuya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think because the Nets are so terrible that teams feel confident resting some of their players so I see it more.

I can understand why they did this with Duncan because he was older but resting guys in their athletic prime is something I can't agree with.

Shropshire Slasher
Member # 123456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shropshire Slasher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cleveland did it earlier in the season with most of their starters sitting out against the Grizzlies. Shorten the season or whatever but people come out to see the stars play.
tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamalie from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it happened in the past more than we realized, but wasn't so pronounced.

A team would say a guy was out with a sore hamstring or a knee strain. Magic Johnson never once played a full 82 game season and never even 80 games except once. Charles Barkley played all 82 games as a rookie and then only hit 80 games two more times, both within his first four years in the league. Patrick Ewing had some injuries early on then played several full or nearly full seasons before settling into a routine of missing a half dozen or so games. Shaq and Kobe rested, or had de facto rest games, fairly often in addition to true injuries.

I think the practice of resting healthy guys and calling it rest instead calling it some supposed injury is a relatively new phenomenon that the San Antonio Spurs have used, and some might argue overuse, while trying to preserve their aging Duncan/Parker/Ginobili core, prompting this practice to spread to other teams due to their success.

[ 01-24-2017, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: tamalie from MN ]

Jerry Calhoun Fan
Member # 5656

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry Calhoun Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shropshire Slasher:
Cleveland did it earlier in the season with most of their starters sitting out against the Grizzlies. Shorten the season or whatever but people come out to see the stars play.

That was a few weeks ago and it came during a back-to-back 2-game series if you will. Memphis played at Cleveland on a Tuesday night I believe and rested Marc Gasol. Cleveland at Memphis the following night and rested the big 3, James, Kyrie, and Love.

I think what upset a lot of fans is that the big 3 didn't even make the trip.

I know people shelled out several hundred $$$ to see James in Memphis and he wasn't even on the bench. I can understand resting those guys, but the NBA should have a rule that they need to at least be on the bench in street clothes if they're not playing.

Tatsuya
Member # 80195

I think shortening the season and eliminating back to back can go a long way.
tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamalie from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part of giving LeBron, Love, and Kyrie the night off was to spare them the hassles of travel which even with luxury chartered planes, limo quality buses, and five star hotels is a strain. The NBA plans to alleviate this by either next season or the one after by having even fewer back to back games. The plan is to start the season sooner. I think the season is too long as is and the real cure would be to have fewer games. The lockout season a few years ago had 66 instead of 82 games and felt much more intense as a result. However, the need for all the revenue prevails over any move in that direction.
Bnicholas
Member # 23863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bnicholas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a difficult issue. On one hand ultimately the goal is winning a championship. Teams obviously feel that resting key players makes more sense long term than costing themselves a couple games during the season (The Spurs have a pretty decent record when resting top talent, the Cavs do not for example).

As a fan it sucks. Especially for a cross conference game. LeBron visits Sacramento once a year. Fans buy tickets just for that game to see him. If he ends up resting, that is disappointing for those fans. It certainly doesn't endear the league to fans. By the same token you can't get into legislating injuries/rest if you are the NBA. Early on they tried to discipline Popovich for resting healthy players when he was the first to do it (at least openly if you believe Tamalie's theory of pretending injuries to mask rest). It didn't work and now resting top guys is accepted.

As a fantasy player it also sucks. Nothing worse than checking your team and finding out 30 minutes before game time that a top player is taking the night off for rest. NFL and NHL fantasy players dont' have to worry about that. MLB players do to a degree though. Fans have accepted MLB players resting forever.

ZEKER
Member # 4727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ZEKER         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, also as a Nets fan, was myself giving a WTF to resting Brook Lopez. I mean, being our best player on a team that is in a rebuilding year, we need him to get any wins we can. then they announced he was going to sit out a lot of games for rest especially back to backs, and I'm like, "We need him!"
ckb_nc
Member # 71425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ckb_nc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The schedule is a grind - luxury or not; getting on a plane after a game to travel anywhere is not fun. The weird thing is the 82 game schedule is really too long as is. I remember the strike season when the league started on Christmas Day and thought it was about the right time to start.

Heck the college game is getting longer too - from November 11th to April 4th or so is really long.

Tatsuya
Member # 80195

quote:
Originally posted by ZEKER:
I, also as a Nets fan, was myself giving a WTF to resting Brook Lopez. I mean, being our best player on a team that is in a rebuilding year, we need him to get any wins we can. then they announced he was going to sit out a lot of games for rest especially back to backs, and I'm like, "We need him!"

It was bad enough that Kawhi didn't play, he's probably my second favorite non-Net player after Antekoumpo (he's a Nets killer but so fun to watch) but when I heard that LeVert was sitting, got totally deflated. It was a hard game to get through last night.

I really think Lopez and LeVert could get a good pick and roll/pop game going like Lopez did with D-Will a few years back. Brookie Monster been such a good soldier that he deserves to have better players around him so he can shine. Think LeVert could be the guy.

Tatsuya
Member # 80195

One thing about the lockout shortened season that was brutal was the back to back to back. I agree that Christmas is a pretty good time of the year to start but even just fitting in 66 games that year they had to resort to the back to back to back a handful of time that season. I think keeping the start of the season to late October but cutting the number of games to around 72 will eliminate the back to backs. Have to play around with the inter-conference schedule...I think keeping division rivals at 4 is good so need to play around with the cross divisional schedule.
Tatsuya
Member # 80195

Although I agree with tamalie that due to revenues, they are not going to cut the number of games. Hell I wish it was still best of 5 in the opening round of the playoff. I remember when it was best of 3 but that was with divisional champions getting a bye
Vulture
Member # 10205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vulture     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I kinda get the sense that Michael Jordan would scoff at the idea of rest days. He did have that love of the game clause after all, that let him play pickup games whenever. Looking at his stats I counted 9 seasons where he played 82 games, one where he played 81 games, one where he played 80 games. I'm not saying he would be right, it's probably not for everyone, it's just interesting. Obviously it worked out ok for him. But MJ is crazy lol

[ 01-24-2017, 11:18 PM: Message edited by: Vulture ]

PartsUnknown77 From ND
Member # 8970

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PartsUnknown77 From ND     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watch a load of NBA and play heavy DFS on DraftKings and the resting of the players, albeit, really started by Popovich as a strategy scheme against other marquee teams to not show all of the "face" cards until the playoffs. Personally, I don't agree with it at all, but I get it. The schedule is a meat grinder, but the amount of rest games should be limited by the league.

--------------------
"I live in a big house, on the big side of town" -Ric Flair

WahooFan
Member # 2026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WahooFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shorten the season, shorten the playoffs (still playing NBA games in June is absurd), and get rid of the back to back games. That's all they need to do.

Not that they're going to do it....

--------------------
Arnold Palmer: "Gary Player eats bacon when no one's watching."

Steve Yohe
Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Yohe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are still going to rest players because it's in their heads now. It's the thing & everyone knows the regular season means nothing to teams. Considering the 100's of dollars fans spend on tickets, food, & parking it is a huge rip off.

Years ago Jackson got fined big time by the NBA for resting guys late in the season. Now they do it all year long & players seem to get injured more now. I think it's the $150 shoes.

I'm retired & can't even pay for parking at the Dodger games.---Steve Yohe

JHawk
Member # 4653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JHawk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand resting somebody if need be. It's when teams rest multiple starters that it becomes an issue.

As much as I would be upset to pay 80 bucks to see Lebron and find out he's resting, if I were to find out Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love were sitting the same game I'd be livid.

--------------------
"Wrestling fans watching a wrestling program want to see wrestlers wrestle!" -Jim Cornette

Don't miss Smart Mark Radio, Sunday nights at 6pm Eastern/3pm Pacific at www.blogtalkradio.com/smartmarkradio

Big Daddy Meatybone
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Daddy Meatybone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I agree with many opinions against the idea and that they fans do get ripped off, I also realize because the playoff post season is so long, players like LeBron are adding another year or two of wear if they are in the playoffs and make it to the finals every year.

--------------------
~BIG DADDY MEATYBONE
_ _ _ _ _____ _ _ _ _

"If people fall asleep in front of the TV, it still counts as a rating point" ~ Dave Meltzer, 2009

"A draw is like kissing your sister" ~ Larry Nelson, 1987

Bnicholas
Member # 23863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bnicholas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Big Daddy Meatybone:
Although I agree with many opinions against the idea and that they fans do get ripped off, I also realize because the playoff post season is so long, players like LeBron are adding another year or two of wear if they are in the playoffs and make it to the finals every year.

and that is a big issue. Guys like LeBron and Steph are playing far more playoff games due to the expanded series and the 7 game format than guys did in the past. Kobe's playoff experience for example put an extra 220 games on him. That's 2 and one half seaons extra. LeBron is already at 199.

That adds up

Tatsuya
Member # 80195

Yep, like I wrote above, I didn't like it that they made the first round best of 7.

Back to what motivated me to make this post....why all Nets fans are high on LeVert (and why I got deflated they rested him Monday)...granted Ellington is a lousy defender but you rarely see an ankle breaker this bad. Too bad they blew an 18 pt lead [Frown]

[ 01-26-2017, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: Tatsuya ]

davephlegmball
Member # 5163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davephlegmball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trust the Process
tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

I'll add this. Most teams have a core of three main players. In the past a team might sneak off nights for guys one at a time by claiming a sore back or a shin splint. However, the key guys would get their time off one at a time. So you might not see Magic, but Kareem and Worthy would show up. No Dr. J this evening, but here's Moses and Barkley. A team's top stars might play 75 to 80 games instead of 82. However, the practice of giving all of the main guys the night off simultaneously, apart from in April ahead of the playoffs, is a very new thing and, as mentioned, the finger of blame for starting it must go directly at the Spurs.
wrestlefan2
Member # 1147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wrestlefan2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back in 1990 Riley and the Lakers got fined big for resting multiple healthy starters in their final regular season game
Tatsuya
Member # 80195

Once the playoff brackets are set at the end of the season, I think there is a bit of "buyer beware" aspect that I don't mind as much. I remember at the end of the 2012-13 season, the Nets sat their big guns D-Will, Lopez and Johnson on the next to last game of the season. It was actually one of the funnest Nets game of the season.

But had they done that in January....different story

tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

When the Spurs started sitting the A team during early and midseason games, the NBA had a chance to step in and put a stop to it. For whatever reason, the league didn't. Maybe David Stern felt it was a battle he couldn't win on some levels. The problem is now it has spread and instead of it being the Spurs' veteran core you have 25 year olds getting sat down. So now, there's little the league can do but avoid back to backs in the hopes of preventing it although now we get the deal of a team having games on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday giving guys the midweek game off from time to time. It's not like this happens constantly. LeBron James won't play 68 of 82 games with DNP-CDs wiping out the missing 14 games. And while it wouldn't be good for the NBA's image if he got hurt and missed two months due to an injury from overwork, it also hurts when stuff like the Memphis deal occurs. I recall the Twolves at the absolute depths of awfulness getting Miami late in the season a few years ago only for Bosh to play but not Wade or LeBron, if memory serves correct. To say people were upset would be putting it mildly.
Tatsuya
Member # 80195

Not really what ABC expected when they scheduled Warriors vs Spurs for Saturday primetime

Although the Spurs had legit reason not to play Kawhi and LMA

The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ckb_nc:
Never heard of this in the 80s or 90s.

Can you imagine Bird or Magic "resting?"

--------------------
"If I had realized that you people would be so damned stupid as to give the world champion $750,000, I would have made myself the champion." — Ole Anderson, to the executives at WCW and WTBS

Tatsuya
Member # 80195

I think a good point was made by tamalie how in the past, they may have rested players under the guise of a minor injury.

But no way Bird, Magic and Jordan are resting on a nationally televised prime time game

[ 03-13-2017, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: Tatsuya ]

A Gene Wilder Somersault
Member # 128207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Gene Wilder Somersault     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jordan played all 82 games as a 40 year old.
Beyond Salem
Member # 1597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beyond Salem   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before the Spurs started doing this as a tactic, it was virtually unheard of for healthy players to be "rested" in mid season games.

The NBA has to step up here and start fining teams big time like 3 million dollars when a team like the Cavs rests its superstars.

Gabba Hey
Member # 20936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabba Hey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally get resting players for the playoffs. It makes total sense. Keeping players healthy for the final run. But being in Cleveland, and wanting to take my girlfriends 2 young kids to a game, I'm not forking out $400 in advance to take them to a game with the possibility of LeBron or Kyrie not playing. Or even the chance of the visiting team taking the night off. It's big business, and I want to see what's advertised.

--------------------
Im your huckleberry - Tombstone -- Sometimes to beat the bully. you have to be the bully. Michael Jordan. vs the Pistons

elijahkareem
Member # 6045

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elijahkareem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it is time for the NBA to look at reducing the number of Games to say to 70, so you can have more off days during the season.
Gabba Hey
Member # 20936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabba Hey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a great thought. But it will take away from the record books. And I doubt the NBA wants that.

--------------------
Im your huckleberry - Tombstone -- Sometimes to beat the bully. you have to be the bully. Michael Jordan. vs the Pistons

A Gene Wilder Somersault
Member # 128207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Gene Wilder Somersault     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plus the owners would throw a fit about player salaries staying the same despite fewer games on the schedule.
CoachG from MS
Member # 126481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoachG from MS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in the Memphis area, and I can tell you for a fact that this was a big deal when Cleveland came to town. People were calling the Grizzlies wanting refunds for their tickets!!

It's not the Grizzlies fault, but I can understand why someone who shelled out in excess of $100 a ticket would be upset that the Cleveland 3 didn't even TRAVEL for the game.

tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

quote:
Originally posted by Tatsuya:
Not really what ABC expected when they scheduled Warriors vs Spurs for Saturday primetime

My point is a bit dulled by the Warriors having lost to the Timberwolves in Minneapolis on Friday, but it boggles my mind that Steve Kerr sent out the full team that night for a game the reserves could conceivably have done well enough in and then sat the A squad against the Spurs on Saturday and essentially threw away a vital game in the race for the #1 seed in the Western Conference. I've heard that Kerr wanted to give guys extra rest ahead of their game on Tuesday, but that Tuesday game was at home against the 76ers. Was getting that rest instead of playing the Spurs so important? Why not send Curry and company out against the Spurs and then rest guys against the Sixers? Was the team afraid of offending its own ticket holders? Another theory is Kerr wanted to send a message to the NBA by ruining the Saturday prime time game. If that was the case, he may have sacrificed the #1 seed in the name of principle. The whole thing is a mess in my opinion.
Bnicholas
Member # 23863

quote:
Originally posted by tamalie from MN:
quote:
Originally posted by Tatsuya:

My point is a bit dulled by the Warriors having lost to the Timberwolves in Minneapolis on Friday, but it boggles my mind that Steve Kerr sent out the full team that night for a game the reserves could conceivably have done well enough in and then sat the A squad against the Spurs on Saturday and essentially threw away a vital game in the race for the #1 seed in the Western Conference. I've heard that Kerr wanted to give guys extra rest ahead of their game on Tuesday, but that Tuesday game was at home against the 76ers. Was getting that rest instead of playing the Spurs so important? Why not send Curry and company out against the Spurs and then rest guys against the Sixers? Was the team afraid of offending its own ticket holders? Another theory is Kerr wanted to send a message to the NBA by ruining the Saturday prime time game. If that was the case, he may have sacrificed the #1 seed in the name of principle. The whole thing is a mess in my opinion.
To me the this is similar to what Popovich used to do. He would rest his top players against better teams so that if they lost, they shrug. It's a mind game. The Warriors play San Antonio with all their guys (minus Durant) and they lose, then come playoff time maybe it is in their head. They throw this game away, a game they may lose either way, and they have an excuse. Meanwhile they make sure they win against lesser teams as opposed to possibly dropping a gimmee game to the Sixers or whatnot.
Tatsuya
Member # 80195

And it happens again.....
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations