WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Does Kenny Omega Have The Promo Style For WWE?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does Kenny Omega Have The Promo Style For WWE?
Risk aka Rob
Member # 8193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Risk aka Rob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I'm listening to Dave Meltzer talking to Steve Austin about Kenny Omega and Dave says that Omega is a great promo but that he delivers his promos almost like an actor.

I realized that although I'd seen Kenny Omega wrestle a number of times, and I've heard the odd-ball goofy brief in ring promos from his Baby days in Japan, I had never heard him cut a real promo. So I searched on YouTube and found the clip I'm including in this post.

Question is, does Kenny Omega have the promo ability to get over with a WWE audience? This is entirely predicated that Kenny Omega would even want to go to WWE and that WWE would want to bring in Kenny Omega in the first place.

So do you guys think he has the promo skills? Is the clip I'm including representative of Kenny's skills in promos?

EDIT: Including a second compilation of clips.

[ 01-11-2017, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Risk aka Rob ]

--------------------
Please SUBSCRIBE to my GamesNew2Me video game YouTube channel. YouTube.com/GamesNew2Me

IP: Logged
FuzzFace
Member # 98738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FuzzFace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega is his own entity.

The internet has carved that out.

If you are a wrestling fan and you have the internet you know who he is.

He'd be over like rover in WWE no matter what he says on the mic.

WWE wants him for sure.

--------------------
FREE BEER PARTY 7-8 PM FOR ALL FANS

El Duderino
Member # 91775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for El Duderino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
His laugh kind of reminds me of The Million Dollar Mans.

--------------------
I do mind, the Dude minds. This will not stand, ya know, this aggression will not stand, man. ~Jeffery Lebowski

Risk aka Rob
Member # 8193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Risk aka Rob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To me, he comes across as half badass and half mustache twirling fictional villain.

I'm not sure how he would do cause he can be so weird at times and at other times he comes across as kind of crazy.

I like Kenny Omega, he's a hell of a wrestler, as evidence by the first ever Meltzer 6 Star Match which had Kenny in it.

He's also been very cryptic on twitter since the match took place. He's kind of suggesting he might be WWE bound but maybe not.

So I wonder if he could get over with an American audience with his promo style. The majority of WWE fans are not the IWC and not "smarks" who prey at the alter of Japanese and Independent wrestling.

--------------------
Please SUBSCRIBE to my GamesNew2Me video game YouTube channel. YouTube.com/GamesNew2Me

Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually as we've seen, a large part of the WWE audience is a hybrid of "smarks" which is why their base audience in the US is smaller than it's been in decades.

We've seen with guys who have a lot of hype get over right away. It's how they are used in the months to follow.

A guy like Omega would require a rather decent size downside contract. Decent enough that would insure WWE at least putting some effort into him.

--------------------
follow me on twitter at: @mattfarmer93
www.defywrestling.com
http://mlwradio.com/

the bear
Member # 1565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He;s turned WWE down 3 times in the last couple of years I read the other day

--------------------
Check out my Wrestling collection - Now over 14000 DVD's
http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee/

Cynthia Celeste Miller from KS
Member # 3471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cynthia Celeste Miller from KS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Kenny's in-ring work, but have always cringed at his promos. They're pretty hard to get through. That said, I think he could modify his "cartoon villain" mic work to sound more credible if WWE wanted him to.

--------------------
Cynthia Celeste Miller
Spectrum Games

Check out my band, Eminent Remains, on Facebook.

scizott792
Member # 5330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scizott792     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
His idiotic mugging is the thing I dislike most about him. That, they'd probably let him keep.
Risk aka Rob
Member # 8193

So the consensus is that it's a 50/50 shot of him getting over in the WWE based on his promo sills, or so it would seem.

I agree with Cynthia that he does seem to do a lot of mugging and he does tend to be cartoonish. I think that's the major drawback because, at least in the WWE I'm used to seeing, that sort of act just screams lower mid-card guy being given goofy gimmicks.

I have been looking on YouTube but I haven't found anything from Kenny that stands out as a strong, believable, promo.

His in ring work is fantastic, but everything I've seen from his promos has been, cartoon villain type stuff.

Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places so if someone could point out some good promos that don't come across as bad acting I'd love to see it.

Just to clear up one thing, I'm not suggesting that Kenny Omega is going to go to the WWE, or that the WWE wants him. I'm just wondering if he's got the mic skills.

He's got a unique look, he's great in the ring, but even with all that he's not an "imposing" looking guy. He's younger and bigger than AJ Styles but AJ is seemingly miles ahead of Kenny in terms of being believable with his promos and just talking in general and I'm not suggesting that AJ is the best at talking, though he is good.

There is a case to be made that Kenny Omega in the WWE for any decent length of time could cement him as an even more valuable property then he already is. Unless, of course, he were to come in with a stupid gimmick, lost the audience with his cartoon villain act, and basically flaming out.

It's a risk but it could give him money making opportunities post in-ring career.

I think that if true that Kenny rejected offers from the WWE then perhaps he knows his limitations. The guy is a big goofy and it's hard to take him seriously a lot of the time.

--------------------

Vulture
Member # 10205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vulture     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He comes off a medieval times bad guy. The dinner theatre one, not the actual dark ages.
FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FantasyWrestlerDrew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thing is I never thought Finn was much of a promo in NJ. Now I realize he wasn't much of one because he didn't really need to be. Turned out perfectly fine for him. With a little coaching I think he could grow. He has a lot of the necessary tools down, just needs someone to guide him with the positives and stop the negatives.
Big Daddy Meatybone
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Daddy Meatybone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He would need a few months down in NXT to work with Shawn. I don't think many indie guys, except AJ, have the ability to cut WWE-style promos and that is what NXT is for. Even really good promo guys like Roode and Aries need a touch of WWE/NXT seasoning

--------------------
~BIG DADDY MEATYBONE
_ _ _ _ _____ _ _ _ _

"If people fall asleep in front of the TV, it still counts as a rating point" ~ Dave Meltzer, 2009

"A draw is like kissing your sister" ~ Larry Nelson, 1987

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cornette on Meltzer:

"I've known Dave for 35 years. When it comes to news and facts, if he says it, put it in the bank. But when it comes to opinions about matches? Well...weed is legal in California now."

Not sure I'd go that far but...OUCH.

Paulie
Member # 124710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paulie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
Cornette on Meltzer:

"I've known Dave for 35 years. When it comes to news and facts, if he says it, put it in the bank. But when it comes to opinions about matches? Well...weed is legal in California now."

You beat me to it SWJ. I have to admit I don't know anything about Kenny Omega but Cornette buries him on his latest podcast. If half what he says is true then it's deserved, but it also seems like the stuff he's referencing is in the past, plus it's Cornette, so take it for what it's worth. I'll probably watch the match in question this weekend. My friend who gets me out to indy shows occasionally (I've been to only indy shows in the last five years or so) is high on it.

Probably a topic for another thread, but the Austin Idol interview on the same Cornette podcast is awesome.

FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FantasyWrestlerDrew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Paulie:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
Cornette on Meltzer:

You beat me to it SWJ. I have to admit I don't know anything about Kenny Omega but Cornette buries him on his latest podcast. If half what he says is true then it's deserved, but it also seems like the stuff he's referencing is in the past, plus it's Cornette, so take it for what it's worth. I'll probably watch the match in question this weekend. My friend who gets me out to indy shows occasionally (I've been to only indy shows in the last five years or so) is high on it.

Probably a topic for another thread, but the Austin Idol interview on the same Cornette podcast is awesome.

I'm pretty sure all the Omega hate comes from when he was in DDT and worked a match with a six year old girl. Think Cornette saw that and lost his skull. I am almost certain he's wished death on Kenny Omega a few times which I mean, damn.
FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

Sorry he didn't wish death he "wishes he could slit Kenny Omegas throat"
NYindyfan
Member # 125634

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NYindyfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoyed listening to his rants about the blow up doll and wrestling the 9 year old girl. I can't say I blame Cornette for that. Sorry but I did not like that at all.
FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

Oh I'm not disagreeing with Jim but Kenny has grown T least 200% since then. All wrestlers have done stupid things when they are young and earning a spot. I'm sure Jim himself did stuff he shakes his head at. It's the fact he absolutely refuses to let go of something from over a decade ago, that didn't even directly involve him, AND say he'd commit murder on a guy he's never met but saw a 10 minute video is completely insane. I love Jims rants but sometimes he needs to pop a Xanax and realize there are different strokes for different folks and hey people can change in a decade. He doesn't want to see Kenny Omega's growth, he wants to completely bury him for something I'm pretty sure he is the only person that holds a grudge on.
FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

And just an FYI, Kota Ibushi who was booked very strongly in the WWE Cruiserweight Classic and had fantastic matches with Shinsuke Nakamura also wrestled a 28 minute match with a blow up doll. The guy is one of the top workers in the world today but Jim probably still hangs on to the fact 10 years ago Ibushi did that.

I agree with about 85% of what Jim says and the way he says it is even better but he absolutely refuses to let good workers atone for things they've done ages ago.

Paulie
Member # 124710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paulie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FantasyWrestlerDrew:
Sorry he didn't wish death he "wishes he could slit Kenny Omegas throat"

Yikes. That's only a little antisocial personality disorder.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations