WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » The King Gimmick

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The King Gimmick
OldSchool84
Member # 29943

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OldSchool84     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I know Jerry Lawler sued the WWF when they started calling Harley Race the king, but I remember on a Memphis Saturday morning show where Lawler came out and was saying something to the effect he was the real king etc and called Race an old drunk. Anyone have dates? Links?
IP: Logged
Corkscrew Elbow
Member # 123008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corkscrew Elbow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I may be remembering this wrong but I think The courts wouldn't allow Race to use the King gimmick in Memphis.
Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Armageddon_T_Thunderbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the WWF either ran a show or was getting ready to run a show in Tennessee and advertised "The King" as appearing, not specifying if it was Race or Lawler and Lawler took them to court.

Lawler won, but I don't know if the WWF wasn't allowed to use the King name in Memphis only or the entire state.

Here's a video of Lawler talking a little about it.

--------------------
Your uncrowned NWA Heavyweight Champion of the World.

Now on the twitter machine - @Armageddon_t

REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for REO Speeddealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe it was the entire state and not just Memphis. The show in question was in Nashville, IIRC.

[ 12-06-2016, 06:44 AM: Message edited by: REO Speeddealer ]

OldSchool84
Member # 29943

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OldSchool84     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't had any luck pretty sure the interview was from Memphis TV 1987.
Vulture
Member # 10205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vulture     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if this is part of why Harley trashes Lawler in shoot interviews.
OldSchool84
Member # 29943

quote:
Originally posted by Vulture:
I wonder if this is part of why Harley trashes Lawler in shoot interviews.

It's a huge part as Race claims Lawler is basically the worst worker ever whereas Funk' Flair, Bockwinkle, Brisco and well noone else says this. It's pretty bad on Race's part.
The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lawler stole it.

--------------------
"If I had realized that you people would be so damned stupid as to give the world champion $750,000, I would have made myself the champion." — Ole Anderson, to the executives at WCW and WTBS

davephlegmball
Member # 5163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davephlegmball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eddie Gilbert - King of Philadelphia
Dan P-170
Member # 32

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P-170     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was an incident in the late 70s too when Race came into the territory as NWA champion and didn't appreciate the "Jerry Lawler has beat every big name in wrestling" propaganda they were spreading. He came unto the dressing room, threw or kicked his bag toward Lawler, and basically scared the crap out of him by letting him know they weren't pulling that with him. Race went to the ring first before their match and let Jerry think about whether or not it was going to turn real. Lawler eventually went out and they had the match but maybe that was another reason why Jarrett switched to the AWA and Bockwinkel.
Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Armageddon_T_Thunderbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan P-170:
There was an incident in the late 70s too when Race came into the territory as NWA champion and didn't appreciate the "Jerry Lawler has beat every big name in wrestling" propaganda they were spreading. He came unto the dressing room, threw or kicked his bag toward Lawler, and basically scared the crap out of him by letting him know they weren't pulling that with him. Race went to the ring first before their match and let Jerry think about whether or not it was going to turn real. Lawler eventually went out and they had the match but maybe that was another reason why Jarrett switched to the AWA and Bockwinkel.

I can't really blame Jarret for not wanting to put up with someone coming in and acting like that.

--------------------

ltp711
Member # 8527

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ltp711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't Rave also irked over Lawler taking photos wearing the NWA belt after a screw job finish with Terry Funk?
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never cared for angles where guys got to temporarily wear (or even hold onto) a belt that didn't win either. Cheapened actual title changes. Not like Lawler & Jarrett only knew about cheap titles though. 8,472-time Southern champion and all.
Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

Here's Lawler showing a picture wearing the belt, and he also gets into the belt vs title debate.

--------------------

Dan P-170
Member # 32

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P-170     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ltp711:
Wasn't Rave also irked over Lawler taking photos wearing the NWA belt after a screw job finish with Terry Funk?

That and the Andre thing, which especially POed Vince the Elder. They also did the deal where they brought in the top 10 NWA contenders and Lawler would show video of himself beating them (although Lance would note that wasn't the way the matches actually ended) to further his agenda.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations