WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Question on this botched move from Vader

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question on this botched move from Vader
brawler2711
Member # 26849

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brawler2711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this an elbow drop gone wrong or was the big feller attempting something else?

-

--------------------
"I'll be with 20 in-laws...hhhmmm..we'll see. But, 7 of the 20 are my nieces (in their early to mid 20's), so I'll enjoy seeing a few of them at the pool, and on the beach.At least the "scenery" should be enjoyable. [Smile]"
Sir Tojo

IP: Logged
Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Armageddon_T_Thunderbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It almost looks like he was trying a shooting star press and just barely missed it.

--------------------
Your uncrowned NWA Heavyweight Champion of the World.

Now on the twitter machine - @Armageddon_t

Tatsuya
Member # 80195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tatsuya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think its an elbow drop. Everytime Barry Windham attempted a flying elbow drop it looked kinda like this (did Windham ever hit his flying elbow drop? Even Flair hit about 0.134% of his top rope moves)
gulascantfoolus
Member # 6964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gulascantfoolus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
he ripped his pants? [Big Grin]

[ 09-23-2016, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: gulascantfoolus ]

--------------------
gulascantfoolus is the greatest
user name EVER regardless of any silly contest

starrcade76
Member # 4207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for starrcade76     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember reading in the Observer back at this time, that his intention was to do a shooting-star-press.

I guess after mastering the moonsault he got a little greedy with the aerial maneuvers.

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty sure that was just a senton splash with a funny landing.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe Hogan told him that he was gonna take the senton, then said "f*ck THAT" at the last minute?
PCmor
Member # 7229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PCmor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looked like a senton to me.
Pbhero
Member # 81542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pbhero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatsuya:
I think its an elbow drop. Everytime Barry Windham attempted a flying elbow drop it looked kinda like this (did Windham ever hit his flying elbow drop? Even Flair hit about 0.134% of his top rope moves)

I know exactly what you mean about Barry's flying elbow....but I think that's a shooting star given up half way.

And Barry hit it exactly zero times.

TerryR
Member # 5671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say senton too
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

In fact, Vader did the senton quite a bit. Just usually not from the turnbuckles.
SkullKrusher12000
Member # 4720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SkullKrusher12000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say it was just a spot where Hogan was gonna move, so Vader just took a back bump. He moved to the left a bit just to make sure he cleared Hogan's legs. Don't think anything was botched...it just looked sloppy.
mckinneydg
Member # 48545

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mckinneydg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched this match on WWE Network with my son who thought it was great.

I always thought it was an attempt at an elbow drop as well.

--------------------
South Atlanta Wrestling

Kev McGrath
Member # 3513

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kev McGrath     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Think Vader had legit shoulder/elbow problems around this time as well so probably just took the bump this way to protect himself.
The Eagle 2 from FL
Member # 6289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Eagle 2 from FL   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kev McGrath:
Think Vader had legit shoulder/elbow problems around this time as well so probably just took the bump this way to protect himself.

How is he protecting himself? Look at the way he bounces looks to wild to protect anything.

--------------------
"Courage is being affraid but saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Maybe he got spooked by a seagull.
the bear
Member # 1565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Eagle 2 from FL:
quote:
Originally posted by Kev McGrath:

How is he protecting himself? Look at the way he bounces looks to wild to protect anything.
He lands on one shoulder so is possible he's protecting the other one I guess

--------------------
Check out my Wrestling collection - Now over 14000 DVD's
http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee/

Pbhero
Member # 81542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pbhero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In retrospect and upon further review, I think he is attempting a senton. He reacts oddly to it. If he was on the top rope, I would speculate a shooting star, only because his legs come up so far in front of him when he first has lift off.
Daddy Dewdrop
Member # 3960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daddy Dewdrop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even if he would've hit the move, Hogan would've just popped right back up like nothing happened.
Dan P-170
Member # 32

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P-170     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by starrcade76:
I remember reading in the Observer back at this time, that his intention was to do a shooting-star-press.

I guess after mastering the moonsault he got a little greedy with the aerial maneuvers.

According to the 10-30-95 issue of the Observer it was this. It was supposed to be a shooting star, but because of the way Hogan was positioned he changed it to a senton and ended up messing up his shoulder (which supposedly was the "official" reason WCW ended up firing him as opposed to the fight with Orndorff). The night after his WWF debut at the Royal Rumble, they did the angle on RAW with Gorilla Monsoon where he was suspended so he could have surgery and get it fixed.
FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FantasyWrestlerDrew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vader has said on Twitter he tried to do a shooting star. Said he never did one before and as soon as he jumped he realized Hogan was too far away and tried to change it.
Steve Yohe
Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Yohe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can't change a move once your in the air. I think Hogan was always going to roll out of the way, and Leon landed in a way it would hurt him the least. I think that was just what they wanted to do.

I was there with Williams, Dave, Bruce, and Wade. Everyone thought it was a terrible card.

After we were all going to go out to eat with Tenay and we waited outside the Hilton bar, where everyone in the WCW was hanging out. Williams & I sat outside, and Dave, Wade, & Bruce went in to interview Tank Abbott, and Flair & whoever. Tenay was busy with the TV stuff, so we waited.

So John & I were sitting, and Hulk Hogan came over and after 15 minites or so....talking to Rany Savage & the father Poffo...he sat on the bench next to us. So we sat there & pretended we didn't know who Hogan...or more like it...we were too professional to fall all over him. We both didn't respect the guy so... We just sat liked we belonged there. Then Hulk's ride or something showed up & he left. For Hogan, it probably all seemed normal & was happy to have a place to rest, without being bothered by goofy fans.

Then Vader came walking down the hall way. How I was a big Vader guy and respected the heck out of him from Japan. I told John, I was going to go talk to him. Williams said:" You better not...look at his face!" And he looked really pissed off at the world. So I said I think your right, and stayed away.

Then a short time later, Leon got into a fight with Chavo Guerrero. So Williams saved my life.

Mike showed up...and we all when to Tony Roma's for rips. It was one of the best times of my life getting to hang out with people you respect like them. But the bash at the beach sucked.----Steve Yohe

[ 04-18-2017, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: Steve Yohe ]

Grobbit
Member # 80932

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grobbit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great story Steve. I bumped into Vader once, almost literally, and he was in a bad mood then too. Then I found out later it was the show after the Arn-Sid stabbing incident where Leon had to stick his finger in Sid's wound to stop him bleeding to death, so understandable he wasn't in the mood for pleasantries with a young mark.

--------------------
"If I hit him with the left hand and he's still standing, I will walk around him to see whats holding him up." - Harley Race

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations