WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Patera/Saito arrest newspaper clipping (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Patera/Saito arrest newspaper clipping
Tatsuya
Member # 80195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tatsuya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Patera was probably the first wrestler I saw "break kayfabe". Badass nasty heel in the WWWF but appeared on the World's Strongest Man competition and was fairly low key and soft spoken. In fact, the winner and fellow Olympic lifter Bruce Wilheim was the more "pro wrestler" of the two....talking trash (basically copying Ali) and appearing larger than life while handily beating the competition.
IP: Logged
Stephen Gennarelli
Member # 21747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Gennarelli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sad that there were so few guys like Bruno and Backlund, (the 2 easiest examples) who had stable family lives and weren't into drinking, drugs or looking to cheat on their significant others.
The wrestling lifestyle Patera is talking about wrecked the real lives of so many pro wrestling stars of the past and present and their families.

GShea from TN loves Sarah Palin
Member # 1443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GShea from TN loves Sarah Palin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All Patera had to do was talk to the cops and say he broke the window, and it would've been a $500 fine. That was it.

--------------------
"Bell time, and heeeeeeeeerrrreeeeeee we go Davey..........."

"Whose woods are these I think I know." - Robert Frost on a Ugandan safari

"When I was born, my Momma looked at me and she said 'Oh God, he looks like a saddlebag face!'. But she said 'Saddlebag face, I love you!'." - Blackjack Mulligan

"YOU ARE DEAD! DEAD! DEAD!" - Plowboy Frazier

"Perfessional rassling toughness!" - Bill Mercer

"This is the greatest card in the history of Nashville!" - Nick Gulas

Duke Of Dorchester
Member # 6218

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duke Of Dorchester   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spent may hours with him a few years back at the AOBS (Strongman dinner) with Ken and Bruce Wilhelm. Very positive experience and a lot of fun..

--------------------
[[[----------]]]

mr. disco
Member # 1736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr. disco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've rarely heard a positive Patera story.

Back in the late 60's early 70's, my dad was a pretty competitive AAU Judoka and spent a lot of time in gyms working out. Ken and Jack Patera frequented some of the same gyms and dad says to this day that the two of them were among the most miserable jerks he's ever met.

Many years later, I got to know a couple of local indy guys for a time, one who was "trained" by Patera. Said that Ken spent most of the time drinking vodka and screaming. That it was a terrible experience and a complete waste of time and money.

--------------------
"Just because you ain't paranoid don't mean they ain't out to get you." - Steve Earle

brawler2711
Member # 26849

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brawler2711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did Patera run a wrestling school at one point, or just train the guy in a backyard somewhere?

--------------------
Sir Tojo: "I used Brut in the late '60's-early '70's. Used to splash it all over my crotch area after a shower--no joke.I used to get some funny reactions to that back in my early 20's. Fond memories."

Doctor Delaware
Member # 29045

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doctor Delaware     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got to hang out with Ken for a few hours at one of the Mid Atlantic Fan Fests in Charlotte a few years back. I thought he was hilarious. What you see is what you get from the shoot interviews. If foul language bothers you then you might be put off. I wasn't at all. Good experience.
Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arnold_OldSchool     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tamalie from MN:
Ken Patera and Mr. Saito pleaded not guilty to all charges and their case went to trial. Does anyone know if they were ever offered a plea bargain, perhaps admitting guilt to some lesser charge with a lighter sentence given. Despite the seriousness of the crime, neither man had ever been convicted of or pleaded guilty to any crime. I'm not saying they should have received leniency, but it wouldn't have been out of the ordinary had it been granted. Was there a case of these guys being offered say four months, probation, and a fine, only to fight the charges and get two years, ultimately serving about 75% of that sentence? There is nothing in contemporary news reports, but there may be info elsewhere.

In related news, Mr. Saito and Ken Patera faced a civil suit from the injured officers that went to court after their release. Here is an article about Mr. Saito needing to potentially give a deposition in Japan because he "lost his wallet" and with it his green card, thus preventing him from entering the United States at that time. I put that in quotation marks because I sort of have the feeling Saito was avoiding going back to the U.S. in an attempt to derail the litigation against him. He'd been a regular in the AWA from late December 1986 to late April 1987 when he quit and went to New Japan full time. Clearly New Japan was the better gig at that time by far. However, the fact that he went home about three weeks before court proceedings began seems a bit too coincidental.

Civil Suit Against Mr. Saito and Ken Patera

It appears Patera was told by other judicially employed friends that he would be given a small fine and maybe a month in jail. Then several of the local prosecutors were up for re-election, so they dragged out holding the trial proceedings for months in order to have it go down closer to their election. The judge then went out of his way to speak out against the wrestlers when they came up for parole.
paulsonj72
Member # 58715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulsonj72     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And even if we wanted too we will never sear MS. Hibbards's side of the story as she passed away in 2006 at the age of 41

http://www.churchandchapel.com/obituary/Jacalyn-Beth-Hibbard/Milwaukee-WI/301824

Liz Hunter's Boyfriend
Member # 7919

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liz Hunter's Boyfriend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arnold_OldSchool:
quote:
Originally posted by tamalie from MN:
Ken Patera and Mr. Saito pleaded not guilty to all charges and their case went to trial. Does anyone know if they were ever offered a plea bargain, perhaps admitting guilt to some lesser charge with a lighter sentence given. Despite the seriousness of the crime, neither man had ever been convicted of or pleaded guilty to any crime. I'm not saying they should have received leniency, but it wouldn't have been out of the ordinary had it been granted. Was there a case of these guys being offered say four months, probation, and a fine, only to fight the charges and get two years, ultimately serving about 75% of that sentence? There is nothing in contemporary news reports, but there may be info elsewhere.

In related news, Mr. Saito and Ken Patera faced a civil suit from the injured officers that went to court after their release. Here is an article about Mr. Saito needing to potentially give a deposition in Japan because he "lost his wallet" and with it his green card, thus preventing him from entering the United States at that time. I put that in quotation marks because I sort of have the feeling Saito was avoiding going back to the U.S. in an attempt to derail the litigation against him. He'd been a regular in the AWA from late December 1986 to late April 1987 when he quit and went to New Japan full time. Clearly New Japan was the better gig at that time by far. However, the fact that he went home about three weeks before court proceedings began seems a bit too coincidental.

Civil Suit Against Mr. Saito and Ken Patera

It appears Patera was told by other judicially employed friends that he would be given a small fine and maybe a month in jail. Then several of the local prosecutors were up for re-election, so they dragged out holding the trial proceedings for months in order to have it go down closer to their election. The judge then went out of his way to speak out against the wrestlers when they came up for parole.
Says Patera, a liar who for years denied breaking the window.

Great worker tho.

McBrooder
Member # 17393

Icon 1 posted      Profile for McBrooder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by northwest territories:
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Gennarelli:
I know it was Local News in that market, but I say if you're going to cover that and act like they are celebrities, cover their matches too...

For real, bro? [Roll Eyes]
if this were Facebook, I would like this comment.
Prefrontal-Lowblow
Member # 53232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Prefrontal-Lowblow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Delaware:
I got to hang out with Ken for a few hours at one of the Mid Atlantic Fan Fests in Charlotte a few years back. I thought he was hilarious. What you see is what you get from the shoot interviews. If foul language bothers you then you might be put off. I wasn't at all. Good experience.

Luckily, I had the same experience at Fan Fest with him. I know he's gotta be a jerk overall, but he was super cool to me. Answered all my stupid questions and wasn't in a hurry about it.

Luckily, all my experiences were that way. The way you approach them has a lot to do with it.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations