WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Patera/Saito arrest newspaper clipping (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Patera/Saito arrest newspaper clipping
oldguy
Member # 630

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oldguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of you might find this interesting. This is from the Janesville Gazette in Janesville Wis.

-

IP: Logged
The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember when it happened. Was bizarre.

--------------------
"It's Gerry, and Mike Graham is the correct answer." — CWF Fan on a 07-14-2017 thread, debating Mike Graham & Jerry Brisco

Tatsuya
Member # 80195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tatsuya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That guy standing next to Patera looks a little like WWF ring announcer Joe McHugh.

So what was the real number of cops that showed up. Initial responses seems like 3, 2 that were fighting with the wrestlers and one injured on the floor.

Seriously always thought Patera and Saito were lucky not to get shot

Stephen Gennarelli
Member # 21747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Gennarelli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know it was Local News in that market, but I say if you're going to cover that and act like they are celebrities, cover their matches too...
mr. waukegan #2
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr. waukegan #2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The injury the female cop sustained pretty much derailed her career. I want to say she passed away a few years ago. The injuries were mentioned in her obituary.

I have said this before on this board but patera and saito are lucky to be alive. Under todays use of force standards and climates shooting either one or both would have easily been ruled justified.

Dead Man's Shoes
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dead Man's Shoes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's stunning that Saito was even allowed back in the States after this.
Happ Hazzard
Member # 4893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Happ Hazzard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't he a US citizen at this point?
northwest territories
Member # 125769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for northwest territories     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats a great question, my first guess is it was a State issue and not a Federal one?

I also always wondered how the Japanese media treated this? Surely, not an honorable act in Japanese (or any) culture, but it seems Saito rebounded rather quickly.

Or if it weren't for this, he wouldn't be a lowly AWA champion and wrestling Onita on an island 6 years later?

northwest territories
Member # 125769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for northwest territories     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Gennarelli:
I know it was Local News in that market, but I say if you're going to cover that and act like they are celebrities, cover their matches too...

For real, bro? [Roll Eyes]
northwest territories
Member # 125769

quote:
Originally posted by mr. waukegan #2:
The injury the female cop sustained pretty much derailed her career. I want to say she passed away a few years ago. The injuries were mentioned in her obituary.

I have said this before on this board but patera and saito are lucky to be alive. Under todays use of force standards and climates shooting either one or both would have easily been ruled justified.

Wow, no idea a female cop was involved. Makes this even more cowardly than Patera blaming someone else for throwing the boulder and claiming he and Saito were framed. [Roll Eyes]

As for the second statement, I take umbrage, but will only explain if posted in the poli forum.

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fighting off a buncha cops and he's sposta stop and check genitals? Wasn't Norf Kaklalee ya know.

So long from the Sunshine State!

--------------------
If you lames are the master race, my money's on the mud people.---Andrew Vachss

Nontraditional Student
Member # 10517

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nontraditional Student     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask from FL:
Fighting off a buncha cops and he's sposta stop and check genitals? Wasn't Norf Kaklalee ya know.

So long from the Sunshine State!

How about not breaking the law in the first place and then complying with the police instead of trying to beat the brakes off of them when the police are making the arrest?

Whoever posted Patera and Sato were lucky they lived to see prison was right on the money. It wouldn't happen in this day and age. Patera and Sato would have been turned into Swiss Cheese.

So long from Norf Kakalakee... [Smile]

[ 05-04-2016, 07:08 AM: Message edited by: Nontraditional Student ]

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And in the spirit of Olympic Wrestler vs. Buncha Cops...

[ 05-04-2016, 07:54 AM: Message edited by: Crimson Mask from FL ]

--------------------

tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamalie from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are a few follow up articles about this incident.

The following article detailed how Saito and Patera adjusted to prison. It is notable for stating Saito was a Japanese citizen. It also notes Saito had difficulty with English. Perhaps that was the case. However, I get the impression he may have worked his difficulty with English in an attempt at attaining leniency. He wrestled nearly continuously in the United States for around fifteen years at least.

Saito and Patera Adjust to Prison Life

Saito and Patera received extra rations in prison, something that upset other prisoners.

Extra Food for Imprisoned Pro Wrestlers

This one has the judge who sentenced them regretting not giving them more time and asking that they not be paroled after only a few months.

Judge asks board to deny Saito and Patera Parole in 1985

Ken Patera and his family suffered hard financial times due to his imprisonment preventing him from earning money in pro wrestling.

Ken Patera Serves Hard Time, His Family Has Hard Times

The article below is interesting. The date is Thanksgiving 1986 and discusses both men being paroled shortly. Mr. Saito was wrestling at the AWA's Christmas show a month later. However, Patera didn't show up in the WWF until mid 1987 and it has always been said that he had complete his entire sentence. That was not the case.

Saito and Patera Recommended for Parole

Here is an article about Ken Patera being released from prison, noting casually that Saito had been as well. Knowing about how Ken was portrayed by the WWF during his big babyface push in 1987, he hardly comes off well here.

Ken Patera Released from Prison

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

There was another article CrusherBolo posted somewhere sometime. IIRC the total number of cops was 9. It also mentioned that Saito's wrists were too big for the handcuffs.

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Actually might be instructive to google news for Patera Saito. They told a very different story than the cops did. Including being maced BEFORE they started fighting. Kind of not that hard to believe in 2016.

--------------------

REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for REO Speeddealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An article on the incident from 2003:

https://sites.google.com/site/corrilyn/rememberwhenwrestlers

Lots of specific details about the arrests, trial and so forth.

Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arnold_OldSchool     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Patera explained in his shoot that Saito accidentally started the brawl with the cops because he was sitting in the hotel room naked and when he opened the door a woman cop was there and he slammed the door so he could get dressed, then things escalated.

This board or somewhere else once mentioned that Patera and Saito were drinking beer in the parking lot the day they were to be sentenced or tried, something like that. Basically blowing the whole thing off.

brawler2711
Member # 26849

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brawler2711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for posting those links Tamalie,

Both guys were in their early 40s when arrested, Patera had a 24 year old wife at the time and two young kids.

I assume the same wife he had when the WWF Magazine did a photo shoot of Patera with his wife and kids in 1987.

[ 05-04-2016, 08:35 AM: Message edited by: brawler2711 ]

--------------------
Sir Tojo: "I used Brut in the late '60's-early '70's. Used to splash it all over my crotch area after a shower--no joke.I used to get some funny reactions to that back in my early 20's. Fond memories."

brawler2711
Member # 26849

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brawler2711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by REO Speeddealer:
An article on the incident from 2003:

https://sites.google.com/site/corrilyn/rememberwhenwrestlers

Lots of specific details about the arrests, trial and so forth.

Big surprise.

Ward Rostagno, who was a captain at the Waukesha Police Department in 1984, said officers thought the wrestlers were high school athletes when the initial call came in.

--------------------
Sir Tojo: "I used Brut in the late '60's-early '70's. Used to splash it all over my crotch area after a shower--no joke.I used to get some funny reactions to that back in my early 20's. Fond memories."

tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamalie from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
There was another article CrusherBolo posted somewhere sometime. IIRC the total number of cops was 9. It also mentioned that Saito's wrists were too big for the handcuffs.

This may be the article. Among the highlights, apart from the claim by Ken Patera of there being nine cops, was Ken claiming someone else threw the boulder, claims of mace being used, and Ken going for a cop's gun because he feared getting shot.

Ken Patera's Side of the Story - Part 1

Ken Patera's Side of the Story - Part 2

tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

This article tells the story of Saito needing two sets of handcuffs, plus the officer count is up to thirteen.

More on Patera and Saito

brawler2711
Member # 26849

NSFW

--------------------

brawler2711
Member # 26849

Heenan was gold.

--------------------

knightmare414
Member # 21742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for knightmare414     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by brawler2711:
NSFW

Such a classy guy. And he threatens the interviewer that he will choke him out. LMAO
Yeah, right.

Nontraditional Student
Member # 10517

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nontraditional Student     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Actually might be instructive to google news for Patera Saito. They told a very different story than the cops did. Including being maced BEFORE they started fighting. Kind of not that hard to believe in 2016.

Sorry, I realize that there are instances of police brutality that have A LOT of validity to them, but I don't throw ALL LEO under the bus. I believe Patera started EVERYTHING- the rock in the window AND the assault on the police- and got off relatively light considering. Patera comes across as a violent jerk with no humility or compassion for other people. Granted, I have never heard from the police involved in the question, but Patera doing what he was convicted of doing? I would have absolutely no problem believing that- none whatsoever. Sato, however, has always seemed to be a genuine good guy and was more than likely in the wrong place at the wrong time (i.e. with Patera when he decided to act like a douchebag.)

Instead of being the bitter old man that he is and placing blame on the cops, Ken Patera should give thanks to whomever or whatever that he lived to tell the tale of this incident. Had it happened today I have no doubt we would be speaking of Ken Patera in the past tense.

[ 05-04-2016, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: Nontraditional Student ]

Nontraditional Student
Member # 10517

quote:
Originally posted by knightmare414:
quote:
NSFW

Such a classy guy. And he threatens the interviewer that he will choke him out. LMAO
Yeah, right.

Yeah- THESE are the words of a totally innocent victim of police brutality? BS- **** Patera. I wouldn't believe him if his tongue were notarized.
Dan P-170
Member # 32

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P-170     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Patera also said in that video that he was working for Vince when it happened when he and Saito were actually in the AWA.
brawler2711
Member # 26849

He probably meant when he went to court he was working for Vince.

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

quote:
Originally posted by tamalie from MN:
This article tells the story of Saito needing two sets of handcuffs, plus the officer count is up to thirteen.

More on Patera and Saito

Seems to me it was a longer piece but that's on the right track. It was a news piece, not an interview.

--------------------

brawler2711
Member # 26849

--------------------

tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

Ken Patera and Mr. Saito pleaded not guilty to all charges and their case went to trial. Does anyone know if they were ever offered a plea bargain, perhaps admitting guilt to some lesser charge with a lighter sentence given. Despite the seriousness of the crime, neither man had ever been convicted of or pleaded guilty to any crime. I'm not saying they should have received leniency, but it wouldn't have been out of the ordinary had it been granted. Was there a case of these guys being offered say four months, probation, and a fine, only to fight the charges and get two years, ultimately serving about 75% of that sentence? There is nothing in contemporary news reports, but there may be info elsewhere.

In related news, Mr. Saito and Ken Patera faced a civil suit from the injured officers that went to court after their release. Here is an article about Mr. Saito needing to potentially give a deposition in Japan because he "lost his wallet" and with it his green card, thus preventing him from entering the United States at that time. I put that in quotation marks because I sort of have the feeling Saito was avoiding going back to the U.S. in an attempt to derail the litigation against him. He'd been a regular in the AWA from late December 1986 to late April 1987 when he quit and went to New Japan full time. Clearly New Japan was the better gig at that time by far. However, the fact that he went home about three weeks before court proceedings began seems a bit too coincidental.

Civil Suit Against Mr. Saito and Ken Patera

[ 05-04-2016, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: tamalie from MN ]

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by tamalie from MN:

More on Patera and Saito

Seems to me it was a longer piece but that's on the right track. It was a news piece, not an interview.
I think this was it:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=27&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjr5b-mssHMAhVKKyYKHYrrDbI4FBAWCC0wBg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.google.com%2Fnewspapers%3Fnid% 3D1499%26dat%3D19840406%26id%3DNm4aAAAAIBAJ%26sjid%3DFioEAAAAIBAJ%26pg%3D1518%2C5913381&usg=AFQjCNGU48DHdUbCUpBhQzonjEV2nnwwyw&sig2=RHVG5d_JYmNHPa7QoEdo-A

--------------------

Bee Dot
Member # 62107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bee Dot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
NSFW

NOW THAT was funny!!

--------------------
I stumbled over an old Coliseum Home Video clamshell box and landed on my external occipital protuberance.

Standing Room Only, Hanging from the rafters!

Vulture
Member # 10205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vulture     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bee Dot:
quote:
NSFW

NOW THAT was funny!!
Talk about a natural heel...
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This article is impossible to read with all the friggin' scrolling.
Daddy Dewdrop
Member # 3960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daddy Dewdrop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From everything I've read and other fans I've talked to, I may be the only one that ever had a positive experience with Ken Patera. I had a very pleasant 10 minute conversation with him at one of those fan meet-n-greets at the Target Center in Minneapolis several years ago. He was in a good mood and answered all of my questions about his time in the AWA. Of course, I didn't bring up the McDonald's incident, so that might've helped.
tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

I was at that same AWA legends meet and greet, a pregame deal before a Timberwolves game, and agree that Ken Patera was pretty personable that night. He was into the spirit of the event and his pleasant demeanor was in stark contrast to nearly every other fan encounter with him I've ever heard about that painted him as a jerk of the first order.
brawler2711
Member # 26849

Ken seems happier when he's drinking some ice cold Coors Light.

--------------------

Kid Chrome
Member # 5607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Chrome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Ken seems happier when he's drinking some ice cold Coors Light.

That seems to work for a lot of people. [Smile]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations