WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » 6:05 Superpodcast thead (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: 6:05 Superpodcast thead
TGBL
Member # 120625

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TGBL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

I don't post here too often but wanted to share the new podcast I am doing with everyone on this board. It is a show talking classic wrestling hosted by myself & David Bixenspan. We don't really have topics, just jumping off points and we see where the conversation goes. I think many of you would enjoy this week's episode with Jim Cornette as our guest. It is a very different Jim Cornette interview - no rants or politics, just Jim the fan talking tape trading, Tiger Mask, Barry Windham, Dennis Coralluzzo and more.
The show is available on iTunes and from www.605pod.com.

Here is a preview of this week's show - Jim watching a tape with us of Titanes en el Ring's El Pibe Diez doing a dive and landing on his head:

IP: Logged
TGBL
Member # 120625

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TGBL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wanted to once again share my podcast here on this board. If you are a fan of the Mongolian Stomper, you will probably enjoy this week's episode.

Heath McCoy, the author of Pain and Passion: The History of Stampede Wrestling, joins us to talk about The Stomper’s legendary runs in Calgary.
Beau James returns to discuss the legacy of The Mongolian Stomper in Tennessee and the rest of the south.
And much more, including Dennis of the Week with special guest Al Getz.

Available on iTunes and at:
http://605pod.com/2016/01/28/605-episode-10-scottish-mongolian/

Frozen
Member # 10689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frozen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This podcast is really great. Not a bad episode yet. Very entertaining.

--------------------
"I was the first wrestler to come to the ring with music."

MoneyDragon
Member # 4646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MoneyDragon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
love thw show

--------------------
free

TGBL
Member # 120625

Jim Cornette, wrestling renaissance man and author of Tuesday Night at the Gardens, rejoins David Bixenspan and The Great Brian Last for another edition of 6:05, the Superpodcast, covering a ton of old-school wrestling topics including:

- The Poffos’ ICW and seeing Randy Savage when he was the undiscovered best wrestler in the world…plus Jim confirms an urban legend about Savage. No, not that one.
- Personal memories of Eddie Gilbert from the ’70s through just before Eddie’s passing in 1995.
- The amazing video of various 1984 WWF personalities pleading with a judge to be lenient to the Iron Sheik and the book that tells the story.
- STAN LANE’S WIG.
- How Dennis Coralluzzo and Kenny Bolin became fast friends.
And much, MUCH more, including Jim watching/doing commentary on the video of Rock ‘n’ Roll Roy Toy, which we’ve synced up to the match:

Available at http://605pod.com/2016/02/04/jim-cornette-returns-to-605-superpodcast/ and iTunes

Lucky Starr
Member # 1807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky Starr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your podcast is growing on me. I will definitely listen to the previous shows during the weekend.

About that Savage & Orton ICW promo: i think Macho Man insinuates they ''tag team'' women and not the other stuff. [Wink]

Keep up the good work guys!

--------------------
The STATION CLUB 80 Radio Show - playing all the music genres from the 80s every 3rd Saturday of the month
Official FB page: https://www.facebook.com/stationclub80/

TGBL
Member # 120625

David Bixenspan and The Great Brian Last reemerge for another edition of 6:05 Superpodcast with another thorough dive into the finest in old-school pro wrestling:

- Brian’s lone encounter with Randy Savage.
- Daniel Bryan’s retirement in the context of emotional wrestling moments.
- An amazing old newspaper interview with Jimmy Snuka.
- Part one chat with Scott Teal about his Crowbar Press books as well as his days writing and publishing Slam-O-Gram programs for Nick Gulas.

And much, MUCH more, including Bret Hart’s memoir as our book of the week, why Fabulous Moolah is terrible, Beau James returning to contribute his one Dennis Coralluzzo story for Dennis of the Week. Oh, and Koko Ware doing terrible things to a jobber as we watch in slack-jawed amazement. Watch with us!

Available at http://bit.ly/1TarO0C and iTunes

TGBL
Member # 120625

New episode is now up:

6:05 Episode #13 – Good Psychology, Brother

-

David Bixenspan and The Great Brian Last are back in the saddle for a supersized Superpodcast with another detailed look at the best in old-school pro wrestling, including:

- Follow-ups on Koko Ware’s jobber destruction including an amusing twist of fate.
- What if Roddy Piper took Gary Hart’s offer to go to World Class in 1982?
- An interview with Rik Ratchet about Dennis Coralluzzo and “Iron” Mike Sharpe.
- Part two of our chat with Scott Teal about his Crowbar Press books as well as his days writing and publishing Slam-O-Gram programs for Nick Gulas. Make sure to use our Amazon link if you’re picking up the Kindle versions!
- And so much more, including J.J. Dillon’s “Wrestlers Are Like Seagulls” as our book of the week, Facebook questions, and early pro wrestling hardcore fandom talk.

Available at http://bit.ly/1To6xAo and iTunes

codystarbuck
Member # 27176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for codystarbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've sampled the Cornette episodes and really enjoyed them. Also great to hear you are now Cornette's partner on the Jim Cornette Experience. I was not a fan of MSL, with Jim. You guys have a much better back and forth.

--------------------
"The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it’s as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues." —Terry Pratchett

White Fang from WA
Member # 1458

Icon 1 posted      Profile for White Fang from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was lukewarm about this podcast. Then they dissed WCMB and especially Mark Nulty, who Bixenspan called "cunty". Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but I support the home team. Let them have DVDR. I'm out.

--------------------
The reason raindances work is because they don't stop dancing until it rains.

TGBL
Member # 120625

A new, very special 6:05 is now up!

6:05 Episode #14 – Let’s Go Sailing!

-

David Bixenspan and The Great Brian Last are back for a super special, supersized Superpodcast, which covers the following:

- The main attraction this week is the audio of the 1996 Eddie Gilbert Memorial Show brunch/banquet, with speeches from Jim Cornette, Jerry Lawler, Dory Funk Jr., Doug Gilbert, an unadvertised Mick Foley, and others. It comes after most of a normal length episode, and runs from the 1:3:37 mark to the 2:33:59 mark of the show. So if you want to jump to that first or save it for later, those are your timestamps.
- Matches from Kick Ass Wrestling’s 1999 TV taping at a women’s prison finally hitting YouTube starting with Bull Pain vs. The Soultaker (not that Soultaker).
- The careers of Kerry Von Erich and Eddie Gilbert, who passed away 23 and 21 years ago this week, respectively.
- Follow-ups including MORE PIBE DIEZ.
And so much more, including Mick Foley’s “Have A Nice Day” as our book of the week.

Available at http://bit.ly/1mYQgFp as well as on iTunes and Stitcher.

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by White Fang from WA:
I was lukewarm about this podcast. Then they dissed WCMB and especially Mark Nulty, who Bixenspan called "cunty". Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but I support the home team. Let them have DVDR. I'm out.

There are no "teams." It's just the Internet.

That said, despite his good qualities, Bix has little room to call anyone "cunty" without coming across as a hypocrite.

[ 02-25-2016, 07:58 AM: Message edited by: Shaving Weezie Jefferson ]

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which episode does Bix talk about WCMB. I'd kinda like to check that one out. Is it one of the YouToobs? I sure as hell ain't paying for it.
TGBL
Member # 120625

quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
Which episode does Bix talk about WCMB. I'd kinda like to check that one out. Is it one of the YouToobs? I sure as hell ain't paying for it.

There are two episodes in question. The first one is episode eight. Despite what was written earlier in this thread, Bix doesn't say anything bad about Mark Nulty (the episode came out well before his passing). I make the comment that was attributed to Bix and, quite frankly, I think it is rather benign.
Mark's name came up again in last week's episode, episode thirteen, as part of a discussion about how his passing is a reminder of how important the early tape traders & newsletter readers were to what would become hardcore fandom.
Episodes are free at http://605pod.com/

[ 02-25-2016, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: TGBL ]

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:
Originally posted by TGBL:
Bix doesn't say anything bad about Mark Nulty (the episode came out well before his passing).

That's good to hear. That would be disrespectful. It's too soon.
TGBL
Member # 120625

6:05 Episode #15 – Slip House Boys

-

The Superpodcast is back again for more old-school pro wrestling goodness, including:

- WHO ARE THE SLIP HOUSE BOYS??!?!
- Larry Nelson’s reaction to the most racist match stipulation in wrestling history.
- Unheralded moments that you “mark out” for.
- Two “What If?” topics: Shawn Michaels going to WCW in early 1993 as rumored, and The Bruise Brothers (“Dream Machine” Troy Graham and Porkchop Cash) going to Mid-South as scheduled in early 1984, with special guest Jim Cornette jumping in for a cameo during the latter discussion!
- Shimmer promoter/announcer Dave Prazak joining use for the Dennis of the Week, with a focus on NWA New Jersey’s invasion of IWA Mid-South in 1997.
And so much more, including Brian hearing Chris Von Erich sing for the first time and Rags, Paper and Pins: The Merchandising of Memphis Wrestling by Jim Cornette and Mark James as our book of the week.

Available at http://bit.ly/218YCbc as well as iTunes & Stitcher

mr. waukegan #2
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr. waukegan #2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to get prazak's newsletter.
Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arnold_OldSchool     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The video of Nelson screaming was 10X funnier than the audio. Fun episode!
UK Wildcat
Member # 58261

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UK Wildcat         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...but do you eat Popeye?
TGBL
Member # 120625

6:05 Episode #16 - This Guy's Insane

-

David Bixenspan and The Great Brian Last activate their Superpodcast superpowers for another week of old-school pro wrestling tomfoolery, including:

- Five words: Confessions of a Ring Rat.
- What if The Von Erichs feuded with the Russians who ruined their Olympic hopes?
- Buzz Sawyer acting normal kind of?
- The death of legendary wrestler, booker, interviewer and promoter Lord James Blears
- Donnie B joining us for an extended edition of Dennis of the Week, which is part one of our two-part chat with him, including tales of Tom Cusati, Mike Lano hotel hijinks and more!
Also, Bix relates a story of teenaged internet mischief and a look at “Is That Wrestling Fake?” by Ivan Koloff and Scott Teal as our book of the week.

Available at http://bit.ly/1M84RFk& iTunes & Stitcher

Gov't Mule
Member # 2440

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gov't Mule     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to like this, but Bix's voice (and laugh) is making it a hard listen. I love the concept though and I'm becoming a fan of Brian Last.
Grobbit
Member # 80932

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grobbit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've become a fan; working my way through the episodes now. [Smile]

--------------------
"If I hit him with the left hand and he's still standing, I will walk around him to see whats holding him up." - Harley Race

MoneyDragon
Member # 4646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MoneyDragon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
would love to have brain on my show.

--------------------
free

TGBL
Member # 120625

6:05 Episode #17 – Papucho

-

6:05 is back to serve up a supersized Superpodcast of classic pro wrestling fun including:

- 90th birthday celebration of Lance Russell, discussing favorite Lance moments!
- A look at Stan Hansen going into the WWE Hall of Fame and his relationships with Hulk Hogan and Vince McMhaon Sr., including his autobiography as Book of the Week.
- Part one of our interview with Ron Skoler about his work promoting AAA’s successful ’93-’94 American run under the IWC banner.
- Part two of Donnie B’s extended shot at appearing in the Dennis of the Week segment.
And much, much more, including a very funny "what if" about John Arezzi!

Available at http://bit.ly/1pMRp59 & iTunes & Stitcher

TGBL
Member # 120625

Episode 18: Later, Brotherrr

-

6:05 The Superpodcast, with The Great Brian Last and David Bixenspan, returns with a supersized edition featuring:

- What if Ted Turner had financed a national expansion of Mid-South Wrestling in 1985 as he had original agreed to, plus Bill Watts' autobiography as our Book of the Week.
- The amazing story of Santo Gold and his unreleased alien rasslin' movie "Blood Circus."
- Part two of our conversation with Ron Skoler about his work promoting the mid-90’s IWC/AAA lucha libre shows, including Vampiro's one-off appearance as well as the importance of the minis.
- Part one of a talk with Georgia referee and office manager Bobby Simmons, covering topics that include the death of Ray Gunkel, the Georgia wrestling war between the NWA & Ann Gunkel Enterprises and Gorilla Watts.
Plus, we talk Chris Candido, The Steiners, Nikita Koloff and much, much more, including the Dennis of the Week!

Availible at http://bit.ly/1Mn47Bq & iTunes & Stitcher

Grobbit
Member # 80932

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grobbit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Brian

Good show again, enjoyed it.

About Demolition Blast - I recall that Richard Charland teamed with Bill Eadie on the indies for a while, maybe that was who Blast was?

--------------------
"If I hit him with the left hand and he's still standing, I will walk around him to see whats holding him up." - Harley Race

Marcus K. Fabian
Member # 69831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marcus K. Fabian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grobbit:
Hi Brian

About Demolition Blast - I recall that Richard Charland teamed with Bill Eadie on the indies for a while, maybe that was who Blast was?

He really didn't look (or work) anything like Richard Charland.
Lucky Starr
Member # 1807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky Starr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marcus K. Fabian:
quote:
Originally posted by Grobbit:
Hi Brian

He really didn't look (or work) anything like Richard Charland.
Demolition Blast = Richard Charland on this pic

-

[ 03-27-2016, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: Lucky Starr ]

--------------------
The STATION CLUB 80 Radio Show - playing all the music genres from the 80s every 3rd Saturday of the month
Official FB page: https://www.facebook.com/stationclub80/

TGBL
Member # 120625

Episode 19: Her Name Was Jack Daniel’s

-

The 6:05 Superpodcast, the MOTHERSHIP, is back this week for another supersized edition including:

- The audio of an endlessly entertaining Michael Hayes appearance on a Dallas radio show from July of 1984 (time stamp is 2:11:48) after a discussion of Hayes’ career.
- Our much-anticipated Buzz Sawyer feature, with Jim Cornette telling the story of the night that Dennis Condrey almost shot Buzz, Jason Rudy of Desperate Visions Productions on his time training at Buzz’s wrestling school and listener Will Sweetie on his own encounter with Buzz at the school.
- Follow-ups on everything that we need to catch up on including Santo Gold, The Sliphouse Boys, Yomamba, guns in wrestling and men named Nikita.

Available at http://bit.ly/233vJzQ and iTunes and Stitcher

Grobbit
Member # 80932

Really enjoyed the show, the Hayes interview is gold.

--------------------

sad dog cuzz sawyer from IL
Member # 5431

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sad dog cuzz sawyer from IL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Hayes interview was great. I look forward to listening to more podcasts in the future.

--------------------
Be yourself and look yourself in the mirror with pride each day. If you were to die today what would your fellow man say about you?? Mark Markley-gone but never forgotten

TGBL
Member # 120625

Episode 20: Bozo Visits The Zoo

-

The 6:05 Superpodcast returns with another supersized show including:

- The top ten members of the Superpodcast Superuniverse. (Will Yomamba come out on top?)
- Jammie Ward, the former writer of 1980’s newsletter “The Squared Circle,” joins us for the Dennis Of The Week.
- Discussions about Adrian Adonis’s transformation into the “‘Adorable’ Adrian” gimmick, as well as wrestlers bringing up steroids during promos in the ’80s.
- Part two of our talk with former Georgia referee and office manager Bobby Simmons, which covers Jim Barnett hiring him through Barnett being forced out of the company.
- The final part of our talk with IWC promoter Ron Skoler, which includes a discussion of the When Worlds Collide pay-per-view that WCW produced for IWC and AAA.

And much, much more, including “Assassin: The Man Behind The Mask” by Joe Hamilton and Scott Teal as our Book of the Week as well as follow-ups on Michael Hayes, Buzz Sawyer, guns in wrestling, The Sliphouse Boys, Mark Guleen, and Demolition Blast.

Available at http://bit.ly/1SBGqCm & iTunes & Stitcher

TGBL
Member # 120625

Episode 21: Nate The F***ing Rat

-

The 6:05 Superpodcast, The Mothership, is back for episode 21 with lots of classic wrestling talk, including:

- A break in the case of the Slip House Boys.
- The Dennis Of The Week, featuring the story of Dennis Coralluzzo meeting Memphis manager Nate The Rat, as told by John McAdam & Jammie Ward.
- Bix & Brian discuss and play audio from various commercials featuring wrestlers.
- Part one of an extended conversation with John McAdam. John was a premier tape trader in the late 1980’s and 1990’s and shares stories of the Von Erichs in New England, NWA live events in 1989, his time promoting UCW and much more! A really fun conversation!
And much more, including “Mad Dogs, Midgets and Screw Jobs: The Untold Story of How Montreal Shaped the World of Wrestling” as our book of the week.

Time Stamps:
Dennis of the Week (0:25:57)
Banter (0:44:56)
John McAdam (1:42:20)

Available on http://bit.ly/1NpbLqn & iTunes & Stitcher

TGBL
Member # 120625

Episode 22: This Is My Loveness

-

The 6:05 Superpodcast, with The Great Brian Last & David Bixenspan, returns for another action packed episode of classic wrestling talk. On this week’s show:

- The reading of a classic non-sensical Jimmy Snuka interview.
- An hysterical The Dennis Of The Week, with Tom Robinson returning to tell the story of his adventures with Dennis Coralluzzo and Kenny Bolin.
- John McAdam returns to discuss the Hall Of Fame credentials of several candidates for the Wrestling Observer Newsletter Hall Of Fame, as well as tape trading with Dave Meltzer.
- Part three of our discussion with longtime Georgia referee and office manager Bobby Simmons. In this installment, Bobby shares his thoughts and memories on many of the wrestlers that worked for Georgia Championship Wrestling, including the amazing popularity of Mr. Wrestling II.

Time Stamps:
Dennis of the Week (0:37:01)
John McAdam (0:59:57)
Bobby Simmons (1:49:43)

Available at http://bit.ly/1WeWBLf & iTunes & Stitcher

MoneyDragon
Member # 4646

The best wrestling podcast on the planett

--------------------
free

Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arnold_OldSchool     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the latest 605 podcast, John McAdams states that he heard that Houston fans petitioned Paul Boesch to stop booking JYD in main events around 1983 - any truth to this?
TGBL
Member # 120625

Episode 23: That’s My Shirt!

-

The 6:05 Superpodcast rides again with another supersized episode of old-school wrestling talk. On this week’s show:

- Tom Robinson returns for another Dennis Of The Week, talking about Dennis Coralluzzo's NWA Grandslam shows in 1993 that he worked on and helped promote, as well as the time he was confused for Pat Tanaka during a bar brawl.
- “What If?” returns as Bix and Brian discuss the prospects of ESPN picking one of the non-AWA promotions that was in the running for their pro wrestling slot in 1985.
- Part one of our chat with John Arezzi, who discusses Papucho, how he talked his way into working a WWWF TV taping, his early days running the Freddie Blassie Fan Club, his amazing pre-dentistry Mike Lano stories, inventing the modern wrestling fan convention and much more.
- Audio of a 1988 appearance by Michael Hayes on Dallas radio to promote his concert at the Sportatorium. He also talks about the problems within the Freebirds, where he stands with the Von Erichs and his musical aspirations.

Time Stamps:
Dennis of the Week (0:42:30)
What If? (1:09:20)
John Arezzi part 1 (1:43:39)
Michael Hayes 1988 radio interview (2:50:43)

Available at http://bit.ly/1NVpANi & iTunes & Stitcher

brawler2711
Member # 26849

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brawler2711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another good thing that the 6:05 Podcast mentioned a couple of weeks ago was the lighting was different as the December 1983 MSG show, it had a different look and maybe a different hard camera angle as well.

Its something I've always noticed about that show but forget to mention.

--------------------
"I'll be with 20 in-laws...hhhmmm..we'll see. But, 7 of the 20 are my nieces (in their early to mid 20's), so I'll enjoy seeing a few of them at the pool, and on the beach.At least the "scenery" should be enjoyable. [Smile]"
Sir Tojo

Knoxvillain
Member # 122943

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Knoxvillain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gov't Mule:
I want to like this, but Bix's voice (and laugh) is making it a hard listen. I love the concept though and I'm becoming a fan of Brian Last.

This^^^^^^

I enjoy TGBL on Cornette's show and 6:05, but Bix is excruitiatingly annoying. Everything from his sing song cadence to his ability to ramble and never really say anything of substance has caused me to skip the 6:05 and any Exile podcast that has him for a guest. He is really bad.

Grobbit
Member # 80932

Yeah, I hate Bix too, but tolerate him because the show is great.

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations