WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Frank Gotch .vs. Georg Hackenschmidt Info Needed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Frank Gotch .vs. Georg Hackenschmidt Info Needed
legace
Member # 123013

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know there's no footage of either of the 2 famous matches between Frank Gotch & George Hackenschmidt but I was wondering were both matches definitely filmed? Also were the matches a work or a shoot?
IP: Logged
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both matches were filmed. I am 99.99% certain both matches were worked.

http://wrestlingclassics.com/.ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=002234

There is more on the Thesz board. Use the search.

So long from the Sunshine State!

--------------------
If you lames are the master race, my money's on the mud people.---Andrew Vachss

legace
Member # 123013

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay cheers for that mate!
Freeman
Member # 3074

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Freeman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask from FL:
Both matches were filmed. I am 99.99% certain both matches were worked.

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but can you point me in the direction of info on whether the Hackenschmidt/Gotch matches were works? I've been using the search and can't find much, but it's probably there and I'm just missing it.
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More based on their entire histories and what seems to me to be a lack of muscle tension in the photos of the matches.

--------------------
If you lames are the master race, my money's on the mud people.---Andrew Vachss

Freeman
Member # 3074

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Freeman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask from FL:
More based on their entire histories and what seems to me to be a lack of muscle tension in the photos of the matches.

Thanks!

Hollywood should make a film about that rivalry and time period.

ZEKER
Member # 4727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ZEKER         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

[ 03-16-2017, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: ZEKER ]

Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both Hack and Gotch were paid (huge sums of money) for the rights to film these matches.

--------------------
email me at: inferno4l@hotmail.com
follow me on twitter at: @mattfarmer93
http://mlwradio.com/

Jay P. Punk
Member # 4082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay P. Punk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to this post, the Library of Congress has film...

http://wrestlingclassics.com/.ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=004438

Steve Yohe
Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Yohe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is what I think:

The 1908 match was a shoot. I don't know what the agreement was going in, but it turned into a contest. They wrestled for two hours with Gotch not locking up and fouling a lot. At that point the two went to the mat & Gotch realized he had nothing to worry about & was starting to go after Hack. Hack realized it too, and to avoid the embarrassment, he just quit.

The 2nd match was going to be a work. They wanted to make Hack look good & for it to be a good match, so there would be rematches. Hack got hurt in training, and once in the ring looked terrible. Gotch, as always, was worried about his image with the public, so he took it home. Winning two straight. Hack's knee was bad so there was nothing he could do about it.--Steve Yohe

[ 03-17-2017, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: Steve Yohe ]

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations