WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Ernie Ladd "a yak yak yak a yuk yuk yuk"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ernie Ladd "a yak yak yak a yuk yuk yuk"
Lord Tense Guy
Member # 61299

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lord Tense Guy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who did he mean in this promo? Thunderbolt?

IP: Logged
okstampede
Member # 10203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for okstampede     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say Crusher.

--------------------
"These matches are sanctioned by the NWA, the National Wrestling Alliance. Wherever you see that banner, you know you're seeing the finest in professional wrestling."

"Nothing I hate more than a dog that sucks eggs."

diamondmd
Member # 1292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diamondmd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since he says out of the side of his big, black face I don't think he talking about Crusher. It's probably Tony Atlas. He used to call Patterson "Thundermouth".

--------------------
http://www.gccwhistory.com/

REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for REO Speeddealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think it was Tony Atlas. Atlas was in Georgia the whole time during Ladd's 1979-80 run and didn't leave the territory.
PeteF3
Member # 1298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeteF3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by diamondmd:
Since he says out of the side of his big, black face I don't think he talking about Crusher. It's probably Tony Atlas. He used to call Patterson "Thundermouth".

A compendium of proper names as defined by Ernie Ladd:

Dirty Rhodes
Thundermouth Patterson
Andre the Dummy
"That masked varmint" (Mr. Wrestling II)
"That drunken Indian" / "that whiskey-drinker" (Jay Strongbow)
Bruno Sanmartina

Who am I missing?

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Mr. TV Announcer'.

So long from the Sunshine State!

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(not on that promo, in general)

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

He didn't say 'out of the side of his big black face'. He said 'old guy who used to talk out of the side of his neck'.

--------------------

unclefester
Member # 17559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unclefester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PeteF3....here's some more to add to your list...the Big Cat had a pet name for Dominic Denucci...remember "spaghetti bender" ?? Ernie referred to Rocky Johnson as "Uncle Tom Johnson". He called Wahoo McDaniel a "cigar store indian". In Ladds world Rufus R. Jones was "Captain Nappyhead".

"Loudmouth" Mulligan is obvious. J.Y.D. was a "greasy black dog". Backlund was "Howdy Doo Dee" and Dick the Bruiser was "Dick the Loser" when Ernie spoke about him. Pretty funny stuff. Was Ernie Ladd king of the promo ??

BTW some modest research leads me to believe that Ladd is talking about ThunderBolt Patterson in the OP's original Youtube clip. R.I.P. Mr. Ladd

[ 07-29-2014, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: unclefester ]

--------------------
Two out of three falls with a 60 minute time limit...

BERT from NJ
Member # 4090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BERT from NJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In this specific promo, he was referring to Crusher.
quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask from FL:
'old guy who used to talk out of the side of his neck'.

And he ran him clean outta Georgia!

quote:
Originally posted by PeteF3:
Bruno Sanmartina

It was more "Bruna Summatina"

Other Ladd nicknames were
"Greazee Bubba Douglas" in CWF
Ivan Pusskee in WWWF
Bobo Brazil was another Uncle Tom to him.
Ol' Aig Sukkin Dawg for Ole in GCW
and Aig Sukkin Dawg as a general catch all

[ 07-29-2014, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: BERT from NJ ]

--------------------
"Kneel before Zod"
General Zod

"You're a little out of order yourself-You insulted him a little bit, you insulted him A LITTLE BIT"
Jimmy the Gent Conway

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

diamondmd
Member # 1292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diamondmd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ladd used to call Charlie Cook "Ol' Twaddle Foot".

--------------------
http://www.gccwhistory.com/

unclefester
Member # 17559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unclefester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWIW....take back my earlier appraisal and must now agree with BERT from NJ...he is indeed referring to the Crusher....

--------------------

tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamalie from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I first saw this Ernie Ladd interview a couple of years ago and assumed from the get go that he was talking about The Crusher. The results back it up. Tommy Rich and The Crusher faced Ernie Ladd and Ole Anderson quite a bit during The Crusher's brief run in Georgia during 1979. Ole wound up on the babyface side of the fence not long afterwards and Ladd runs him down. So it would seem to put this interview in the late fall of 1979.
REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for REO Speeddealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tamalie from MN:
So it would seem to put this interview in the late fall of 1979.

I'm certain it's from May 1980. Near the end of the clip he references the Austin Idol-Baron Von Raschke angle from earlier in the broadcast that turned Idol babyface.
tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamalie from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good call. I didn't think about that angle and assumed Ladd wouldn't have brought up Crusher very long after his departure. By mid 1980, he was old news.
malenko101
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for malenko101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The end says copyright 1980. Also, Gordon says next week we will be seeing JYD, so that might help with the timeline.
Travlr
Administrator
Member # 4304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travlr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by unclefester:
PeteF3....here's some more to add to your list...the Big Cat had a pet name for Dominic Denucci...remember "spaghetti bender" ??

I heard Ernie call Tony Parisi that, and I'm pretty sure I've seen some tape of Ernie calling Bruno a "spagetti bender", too. Not sure if he was the first to do so with Bruno, though, altough I certainly wouldn't be surprised....

--------------------
The Traveller
a fan since '68....

"Reputation is what others think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. The friction tends to arise when the two are not the same.... Guard your honor; let your reputation fall where it may."

Lord Tense Guy
Member # 61299

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lord Tense Guy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crusher delivers one of my favorite promos ever.

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Ernie was right.

--------------------

Lord Tense Guy
Member # 61299

Thanks for all the replies, I didn't even know Crusher was ever in Atlanta. Ladd was so brilliant. Just doin' some housekeeping. Cleaning up the bums. You like that, don't you Mr. TV announcer?
oblongo
Member # 2502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oblongo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought Ladd was great then, and I still get a kick of him today.

I know he was usually the heel. But I still have to ask about this. From everything I've read, Ladd was going back to his football days an activist, someone who wouldn't stand for racial discrimination against himself or others.

Knowing that now, it is sort of strange to hear him doing promos on other black wrestlers. I know he was usually the heel, but still....

Vulture
Member # 10205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vulture     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its funny, his nickname for Rocky Johnson seems in line with Tony Atlas's thoughts in a shoot he did...
Sean O'Reilly
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember Lou Albano calling Bruno "that overgrown spaghetti bender"

I remember Erinie Ladd coming out on net reviews in Detriot calling Bobo a "Cinderella champion". And for the record Lord Layton was appalled.

BERT from NJ
Member # 4090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BERT from NJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by REO Speeddealer:
quote:
So it would seem to put this interview in the late fall of 1979.

I'm certain it's from May 1980. Near the end of the clip he references the Austin Idol-Baron Von Raschke angle from earlier in the broadcast that turned Idol babyface.
quote:
Good call. I didn't think about that angle and assumed Ladd wouldn't have brought up Crusher very long after his departure. By mid 1980, he was old news.

If I remember correctly, Ladd left GCW for a few months following the blow off with Ole in Nov-Dec 79. I first got WTBS in Nov 1979 and Ladd-Ole was the top fued for a few weeks, and then Ernie left town. He did come back relatively quickly, so this promo may have been early in his return, and he was referencing his earlier accomplishments.

Seems like Ernie recycled alot of the same nicknames for the corresponding archetype in each territory he ventured into.

I'm guessing I read this in the Meltzer Obit bio on Ernie Ladd. He apparently built his heel character to be the embodiment of the black man that white America feared at that time. Already a huge intimidating figure, he accentuated that with a huge afro and often a crown to make him appear even taller. Platform or boots with heels also were part of his non ring gear apparel, along with smart suits. Arrogant, articulate (somewhat - in hindsight he did stumble over words and lost his train of thought, and sometimes used the wrong three syllable word), and of course what better way to get across that he was a heel by insulting his fellow black fan-favorites, by calling them the ultimate sell out name!

--------------------
"Kneel before Zod"
General Zod

"You're a little out of order yourself-You insulted him a little bit, you insulted him A LITTLE BIT"
Jimmy the Gent Conway

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

chgowolvs44
Member # 2267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chgowolvs44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Tense Guy:
Crusher delivers one of my favorite promos ever.

I never saw that before. That was one of the best promos of all time. Thanks so much for posting that.

--------------------
"A spokesman for the NYPD said the police were exercising their right to defend themselves from charging protesters who...were armed with dangerous ideas" Keith Olbermann RE:NYPD over reaction to OWS protests

The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really enjoyed and do to this day his feud with Jay Strongbow where he played "possum." Correct me if I'm wrong but hadn't they feuded outside of GA prior to this?

--------------------
"I've been traveling throughout; exactly where, I don't know." - Ron Slinker

REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

quote:
Originally posted by The Coach:
I really enjoyed and do to this day his feud with Jay Strongbow where he played "possum." Correct me if I'm wrong but hadn't they feuded outside of GA prior to this?

Detroit, IIRC.
Vulture
Member # 10205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vulture     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, two fantastic promos posted in this thread.
Lord Tense Guy
Member # 61299

Maybe this is why I thought it was Thunderbolt

[ 08-14-2014, 01:30 AM: Message edited by: Lord Tense Guy ]

jasonnc
Member # 10834

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jasonnc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always enjoyed Ernie's interviews and promos. He makes me think of Sanford and Son because he looked like Grady and talked like Fred.
mckinneydg
Member # 48545

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mckinneydg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He used that yak yak yak yuk yuk yuk thing a lot it seems. I saw another promo where he was a babyface I believe and he used it in reference to that guy too and it wasn't T'bolt or Crusher.

--------------------
South Atlanta Wrestling

unclefester
Member # 17559

Just stumbled across Ernie's 1963 Fleer football card while he was a defensive tackle with the San Diego Chargers. While Ernie was a machine when it came to giving his opponents nicknames I didn't know and hadn't read that Ernie had his own nickname back then. The card reads...Ernie "Little Samson" Ladd.

[ 08-20-2014, 08:39 AM: Message edited by: unclefester ]

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Strange. Seems to me he was always 'Big Cat'. In football too.

--------------------

unclefester
Member # 17559

Ya it's news to me too CM. Never heard of it and it's not on the '62 or '64 football cards...only Ernie's 1963 Fleer card. I dunno...

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Do the '62 and '64 have Big Cat, or no nickname?

--------------------

unclefester
Member # 17559

CM...I think tillycs has our answer just below this post...

[ 08-20-2014, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: unclefester ]

--------------------

tilleycs
Member # 6077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tilleycs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No nickname on either.

Here's the 1962 one:
http://www.footballcardgallery.com/1962_Fleer/86/Ernie_Ladd/

Here's the 1964 one:
http://www.footballcardgallery.com/1964_Topps/163/Ernie_Ladd/

unclefester
Member # 17559

Ernie's 1964 Topps card is the first one I can find to refer to him with his better know nickname. On the reverse of that card there's a bit a of a life story that concludes... "During the off-season Ernie is a professional wrestler known as the Giant Cat". So fair to say the "Cat" nickname was born out of his wrestling career and then adopted to the rest of his football career ??

[ 08-20-2014, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: unclefester ]

--------------------

okstampede
Member # 10203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for okstampede     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jasonnc:
He makes me think of Sanford and Son because he looked like Grady and talked like Fred.

Funny as the term "big dummy" was thrown around; Ladd using it and had it used against him.

--------------------
"These matches are sanctioned by the NWA, the National Wrestling Alliance. Wherever you see that banner, you know you're seeing the finest in professional wrestling."

"Nothing I hate more than a dog that sucks eggs."

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations