WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Wrestler Salaries - 1998-99 - Mostly WCW (Edited to add 2000-01 info) (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Wrestler Salaries - 1998-99 - Mostly WCW (Edited to add 2000-01 info)
tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamalie from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the Ultimate Warrior thread, we were talking about wrestler salaries. To that end, I went back to old newsletters, mainly the Observer, to see what guys were making in the 1998-99 timeframe. There was very little regarding the WWF, somewhat surprisingly, especially given that the WWF's IPO occurred during this period. At any rate, here's what was found. Any incorrections are from the source material.

- Chris Benoit, Dean Malenko, and Eddie Guerrero got new contracts around January of 1999, reported as three years for $1,350,000 ($400,000, $450,000, $500,000) apiece.

- Mikey Whipwreck and Hak (The Sandman) were initally reported as being in the $130,000 to $200,000 per year range. Hak's deal was later confirmed as $245,000 per year for three years, but WCW used a 90 day out cycle to release him in October 1999 when cost cutting was implemented and mass releases, including Whipwreck, and renegotiations of existing deals took place.

- Warrior wanted $2,500,000 per year in 1995 when WCW approached him. That money was considered outrageous and was a motivation for creating The Renegade gimmick with the guy getting a more reasonable $150,000 per year.

- Davey Boy Smith was making $400,000 per year when cut in April of 1999.

- Rick Rude, who had been working for the WWF and ECW without a contract, jumped to WCW in November of 1997 for $300,000 per year for three years from November 1997. He made $315,000 per year in his 1991-1994 stint.

- Goldberg was making $800,000 per year in the spring of 1999 as renegotiations occurred. I think he wound up getting something in the $3,000,000 or more per year range.

- Shane Douglas wanted $350,000 from the WWF but was told "no way". I'd forgotten they even talked given his bitter departure in late 1995. It wasn't made clear what WCW gave him.

- Scott Hall made $30,000 per week in mid 1999 which adds up to $1,600,000 per year, but WCW cut his pay by 50% during his lengthy spell on the shelf that year.

- WCW offered Chris Jericho between $425,000 and $500,000 to stay, but he turned them down figuring his WWF downside would be lower, but he'd make more with a push there that WCW wouldn't give him.

- It was written that Swoll got a one year deal for $400,000 in mid 1999. Fellow No Limit Soldiers Chase Tatum and Tank also got one year deals for undisclosed terms. All were said to have been eventually released.

- $900,000 for Karl Malone, $1,000,000 for Jay Leno, $2,250,000 for Dennis Rodman, $3,500,000 for Mike Tyson, and $200,000 per Nitro appearance for Master P. The Master P thing seems a lot crazier until you count up that he made maybe half a dozen appearances. Then his pay is still dumb, but more in line with the other celebrities.

- Jesse Ventura got $350,000 per year from WCW from 1992-1994.

- Lanny Poffo was getting $75,000 and wasn't even being used by WCW.

- KISS got $500,000 to play two songs on Nitro when The Demon debuted plus additional money for the wrestler's gimmick.

- WCW paid Raven $275,000 per year.

- Tazz wanted a $450,000 downside from the WWF, while it proposed $200,000. WCW offered more, but he went with the WWF after worrying about not getting pushed in WCW.

- Scott Norton got $800,000 per year before his deal either ran out in the fall of 1999 or he was flat out cut via a 90 day out cycle.

- Vampiro was getting $350,000 per year, but the contract had 90 day out cycles that WCW executed. WCW wanted him to take $175,000 in a new deal in October 1999, later increased to $200,000 per year with the chance to make money on outside merch, and a promise see about getting some extra money to him after the crisis ended.

- Wrath had $350,000 per year until November 1999 when a 90 day review cycle was used to renegotiate him downward.

- Stevie Ray got $750,000 per year until November 1999 when a 90 day review cycle was used to renegotiate him downward.

- Alicia Webb got $60,000 as of November 1999 to valet for The Maestro.

- DDP was getting $1,300,000 as of November of 1999 with two and a half years to go. Apparently with WCW approval, since it wanted to get salaries off the books, he used his contacts with Big Show and Big Bossman to see about WWF interest. The interest was there, but not at a guarantee for that kind of money, so he stayed put.

- Tank Abbott was getting $300,000 per year.

Here is the little I could find about WWF contracts.

- Jeff Jarrett made $428,000 in the WWF in 1998 on a $250,000 downside and topped his $350,000 downside in 1999 without an amount being mentioned. However, his WCW salary was not disclosed.

- Shawn Michaels, who didn't wrestle between late March of 1998 and late August of 2002, apparently got $780,000 from the WWF for at least part, if not all, of that timeframe.

And an All Japan tidbit.

- Vader was given a deal in mid 1999 calling for $14,950 per week while touring with that promotion and a guarantee that he could work every tour (sometimes certain foreign workers would be left off of tours). However, I'm pretty certain that money only called for the weeks when All Japan was touring. How many weeks would that have accounted for?

[ 04-24-2014, 08:52 AM: Message edited by: tamalie from MN ]

IP: Logged
Gov't Mule
Member # 2440

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gov't Mule     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"$900,000 for Karl Malone, $1,000,000 for Jay Leno, $2,250,000 for Dennis Rodman, and $200,000 per Nitro appearance for Master P."

WCW, I don't use smileys much but [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

BVRF05: Eddie Gilbert Fan
Member # 5853

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BVRF05: Eddie Gilbert Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am still shocked that Stevie Ray made that much money.

--------------------
Ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have ~ James Baldwin

I will never apologize for who I am! Do you really think I care what you think about me? You obviously don't know me.

brawler2711
Member # 26849

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brawler2711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a Jim Ross voice: Young talent need to strive to make Stevie Ray like money and make wise choices with it if they reach that level.

--------------------
Sir Tojo: "I used Brut in the late '60's-early '70's. Used to splash it all over my crotch area after a shower--no joke.I used to get some funny reactions to that back in my early 20's. Fond memories."

Bnicholas
Member # 23863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bnicholas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the salary numbers go back to my point in the other thread that Vince was crazy to think illegally breaking Bret's contract was going to put the salary genie back in the lamp for UT, HBK, Austin, and the like.

And 3.5 million for Tyson? Yeah, if I'm Bret I'm a little bitter. Not that it wasn't worth it, but when VinnieMac pleads poverty then does that it kind has to hit you that it wasn't poverty but in reality a strong desire to get you out of the company.

Bnicholas
Member # 23863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bnicholas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tamalie from MN:

- Tazz wanted a $450,000 downside from the WWF, while it proposed $200,000. WCW offered more, but he went with the WWF after worrying about not getting pushed in WCW.

Yeah not sure that worked out for him as a wrestler.
tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamalie from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tazz probably did okay the first year in the WWF before his push completely ended and he moved towards announcing. He worked sold out to nearly sold out house shows, got on several PPVs including WM17, and his merch sold for a while.

The real benefit for Tazz was getting into the WWF before the legions of ex WCW and ECW guys started coming aboard in 2001. He established a spot for himself and then fell into an announcing gig that gave him long running spot with a good income, stability, and less travel. I think he left the WWE by his own choosing. What does TNA pay him? Does he have a wrestling school on the side? I'd have thought Tazz would've clung to that WWE spot forever given the circumstances.

Bnicholas
Member # 23863

Since we are talking salaries, does anyone know for sure the royalty situation for old footage? Do guys get royalties for WWE running old WCW saturday night shows on WWE 24/7? How about former WWE wrestlers with house shows on 24/7? And does the Network model change how royalties are paid or IF they are paid? Does Booker T or whoever get a small check everytime WWE steals a soundbite for WWE confidential and inserts it in yet another program on the network?

The reason I ask is that a friend brought up a point when discussing the turtle like pace WWE was placing content on the network. He suggested that even with 24/7 footage that has already been sanitized of music issues, choking, etc. there might by royalty issues to work out.

Bnicholas
Member # 23863

quote:
Tazz probably did okay the first year in the WWF before his push completely ended and he moved towards announcing. He worked sold out to nearly sold out house shows, got on several PPVs including WM17, and his merch sold for a while.

The real benefit for Tazz was getting into the WWF before the legions of ex WCW and ECW guys started coming aboard in 2001. He established a spot for himself and then fell into an announcing gig that gave him long running spot with a good income, stability, and less travel. I think he left the WWE by his own choosing. What does TNA pay him? Does he have a wrestling school on the side? I'd have thought Tazz would've clung to that WWE spot forever given the circumstances.

After reading Mick Foley's Countdown to Lockdown book recently and hearing what he made as an announcer on SD, I'm not sure how great Tazz did. I'm assuming like a wrestler he has to pay his own travel costs and Mick implied that an announcer was lucky to pull 100k-150k. Once you deduct travel, health insurance, taxes, it is ok, but hardly great compared to what wrestlers make.
tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

True, but there was little interest on the WWE's part in Tazz as a wrestler beyond early 2002. With all the ex WCW and ECW guys running around plus the stacked developmental system and longer term WWF guys who had people in their corner, Tazz was going to find himself in real trouble soon after that. He'd have had wound up working the cable and syndicated B shows like Heat, Velocity, and Jakked/Metal before staring at release or being told to leave Long Island for Louisville to train guys. I'm not sure if even the brand split would have helped him much. Announcer pay isn't as good, but Tazz himself was ready to get out of the ring and it was good money under the circumstances.
codystarbuck
Member # 27176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for codystarbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe I recall seeing in the Observer that KISS got paid even more for that aborted New Years pay-per-view concert/card; that there was a pay-or-play clause in the deal and that WCW had made a deal to use the other character likenesses (though maybe that was still on the table when the Demon fizzled).

--------------------
"The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it’s as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues." —Terry Pratchett

Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guys with announcer contracts, like referees are often on payroll as employees. So their travel was completely covered by the company. And to say travel is misleading, WWE covers airfare to and from the event, and in some cases cover extra travel costs toaand from certain events depending on the ssituation.

During that really hot period your downside was almost irrelevant as they were making so much just from house show appearances working in front of $350,000 houses every night. Guys like Jericho and Benoit were making 3 times over what their downside was. Guys like the Outlaws made close to seven figures in 1999.

Vader's deal with All Japan was only for the weeks he worked. Which I believe most years was about 18 weeks. As is customary
in Japan the top guys would often get a bonus at the beginning of the year. Also those top guys often got huge "tips" from sponsors
and other sources.

--------------------
follow me on twitter at: @mattfarmer93
www.defywrestling.com
http://mlwradio.com/

The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And with this, no one should ever wonder why WCW no longer exists.

--------------------
"It's Gerry, and Mike Graham is the correct answer." — CWF Fan on a 07-14-2017 thread, debating Mike Graham & Jerry Brisco

Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bnicholas:
All the salary numbers go back to my point in the other thread that Vince was crazy to think illegally breaking Bret's contract was going to put the salary genie back in the lamp for UT, HBK, Austin, and the like.

And 3.5 million for Tyson? Yeah, if I'm Bret I'm a little bitter. Not that it wasn't worth it, but when VinnieMac pleads poverty then does that it kind has to hit you that it wasn't poverty but in reality a strong desire to get you out of the company.

Yes but in Vince's 1997 mind he didn't know his competitions salaries were going to get jacked through the roof.

Also people need to stop comparing Mike Tysons pay and Bret's salary. Paying Mike what he was paid should be compared to spending that much extra for advertising. It was a one time fee to increase exposure to his product and his biggest event of the year. And it paid off, in a way few have in history.

People also scoff at what Dennis Rodman made, but once again the first few times he was used he was more than worth it!

--------------------
www.defywrestling.com

CJ in Savannah
Member # 26303

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ in Savannah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure Taz wouldn't change a thing, beats the hell out of doing those pointless ECW reunion shows.

But yeah, watching his debut at Royal Rumble and the way he dominated an undefeated Kurt Angle you certainly felt that the WWF was going to skyrocket Taz to the top just like that.

But two things that hurt Taz, one was his size, even a guy like Kurt Angle towered over Taz and number 2 the Radicalz debut, once they debuted it seemed Taz immediately got lost in the shuffle and 6 months later he's feuding with Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler once that happened the window on Taz being a top guy was slammed shut for good, but again he's made a far better career being an announcer than he would have if he had stuck to wrestling.

--------------------
I hope my next relationship lasts longer than Taylor Swift's next 10.

tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

Regarding Dennis Rodman, he made WCW his salary and then some via not only the PPV buys, but also the free publicity for Nitro and the promotion in general back in 1997. It was funny to watch Hogan and cornerman Savage go out of their way to get mainstream media folks to take pictures of them with Rodman during that Hogan-Rodman vs. Luger-Giant tag match. His 1998 performance with Hogan against DDP and Karl Malone was another matter and by 1999 the guy was completely played out. It worked initially however.

Did All Japan really only tour 18 out of 52 weeks per year? I realize they had few to no days off during those tours, but it adds up to only 126 dates per year. You'd think they'd tour more often.

As someone mentioned, KISS got to keep a non refundable deposit from WCW for the concert/wrestling New Year's Evil PPV that was cancelled after Bischoff was removed from power. I'll go back to see what that amount was, if it was published.

Looking through those old newsletters, it's really sad to see WCW's business just plummet throughout the year. You can see the thing slipping away, but no one had the sense to hit the brakes. At one point Dave Meltzer astutely wrote that WCW needed to ignore the ratings and not even consider itself in competition with the WWF for the next year plus. It needed to concentrate on getting over and building around the younger and fresher talent with any vets unwilling to get with the program being sent home. Then the promotion hired Russo and Ferrara, which was not in itself a bad idea, but early in 1999, while both were still in the WWF, Dave noted that they were often unfocused and needed to be guided. WCW gave them carte blanche instead and that's where things got badly off track.

[ 04-23-2014, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: tamalie from MN ]

Bnicholas
Member # 23863

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Farmer from WA:
quote:

Yes but in Vince's 1997 mind he didn't know his competitions salaries were going to get jacked through the roof.

Also people need to stop comparing Mike Tysons pay and Bret's salary. Paying Mike what he was paid should be compared to spending that much extra for advertising. It was a one time fee to increase exposure to his product and his biggest event of the year. And it paid off, in a way few have in history.

People also scoff at what Dennis Rodman made, but once again the first few times he was used he was more than worth it!

sure it paid off and I don't question the Tyson move at all. But when someone tells you they can't afford to pay you what they promised at 1.5 million a year and they turn around and toss 3l5 million at someone for a few appearances, you have to get the message that maybe you aren't wanted for some reasons beyond dollars.

And we can keep arguing this but Vince is a moron (which we know he isn't) if he genuinely thought that salaries weren't going to skyrocket after seeing what Nash and Hall got, knowing what Hogan and Savage were making, knowing what WCW was offering Warrior around the time they tried to bring him back (see other thread), and then seeing what WCW was giving Bret in 97 after Vince decided to illegally break their contract. I mean seriously the writing as on the wall that big names were gonna get 7 figures.

tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

I think Vince knew WWF salaries, even if we're just talking downside guarantees, were going to take a major jump after Hall and Nash got such big deals from WCW which eventually started paying better money to many others. Even in 1996, he gave Marc Mero and Brian Pillman dollar figures and, at least with Pillman, a guarantee that he didn't give to most others. Now the WWF may have had some cash flow issues related to Bret's deal that it overcame somehow for Tyson, possibly even by financing the deal through loans or credit. However, in the end, it boiled down to how Vince McMahon and the WWF wanted to dedicate cash flow. Vince probably figured Bret was overpaid for who and what he was and decided to get himself out from under that deal to direct the funds elsewhere.
Bnicholas
Member # 23863

quote:
I think Vince knew WWF salaries, even if we're just talking downside guarantees, were going to take a major jump after Hall and Nash got such big deals from WCW which eventually started paying better money to many others. Even in 1996, he gave Marc Mero and Brian Pillman dollar figures and, at least with Pillman, a guarantee that he didn't give to most others. Now the WWF may have had some cash flow issues related to Bret's deal that it overcame somehow for Tyson, possibly even by financing the deal through loans or credit. However, in the end, it boiled down to how Vince McMahon and the WWF wanted to dedicate cash flow. Vince probably figured Bret was overpaid for who and what he was and decided to get himself out from under that deal to direct the funds elsewhere.

Must be nice. I bet some wrestlers have decided they were underpaid and wanted some more cash flow dedicated to them and yet haven't been able to get themselves out of their deals. Montreal screwjob aside I've always found the breaking of legally binding contracts a bit of a jerk move as well. Sure he said Bret could go to WCW, but he also said he was breaking it either way and Bret could either take money on the back end (which at that point why should Bret have trusted him?) or Bret could be tied up in court, unable to work.
Phil Jurgen
Member # 115375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phil Jurgen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

- Chris Benoit, Dean Malenko, and Eddie Guerrero got new contracts around January of 1999, reported as three years for $1,350,000 ($400,000, $450,000, $500,000) apiece.

The wording on that is kinda confusing. What was the breakdown?
Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Farmer from WA:
quote:

sure it paid off and I don't question the Tyson move at all. But when someone tells you they can't afford to pay you what they promised at 1.5 million a year and they turn around and toss 3l5 million at someone for a few appearances, you have to get the message that maybe you aren't wanted for some reasons beyond dollars.

And we can keep arguing this but Vince is a moron (which we know he isn't) if he genuinely thought that salaries weren't going to skyrocket after seeing what Nash and Hall got, knowing what Hogan and Savage were making, knowing what WCW was offering Warrior around the time they tried to bring him back (see other thread), and then seeing what WCW was giving Bret in 97 after Vince decided to illegally break their contract. I mean seriously the writing as on the wall that big names were gonna get 7 figures.

Seems like Vince was a genius because here we are 17 years later and his top talents downsides aren't much higher than 750k a year. Heck Triple H has a $1 mil a year guarantee. It seems he kept HIS salaries in tact. He knew he made a mistake getting into a bidding war, that was not his game. His game is to guarantee a little, but with hard work you can make a lot more.

No matter whar people say or how he spi s history he wasn't going to let his salaries get out of hand. He understood the ups and downs of the business. Turners employees never got that, and relied on hot shotting.

--------------------
www.defywrestling.com

Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Yes and the Japanese promotions (AJPW & NJPW) usually only ran 150 or so shows a year.

--------------------
www.defywrestling.com

TerryR
Member # 5671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Jurgen:
quote:

The wording on that is kinda confusing. What was the breakdown?
I read it as all three made the same amount, $1,350,000 over three years. Year one is $400k, year two $450k, year three at $500k.
tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

That's correct.
SteveHarms87
Member # 64436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveHarms87   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WCW was a bit more generous re road expenses than was WWF. WCW paid for all airfare for trips over 300 miles. If the trip was less than 300 miles, WCW paid for the rental cars. The rental car rule was 3 guys to a vehicle. For the most part,talent paid for hotel rooms and food, although on TV days, catering was in place from early in the morning until the taping was done. I used to have a master list of every person on the roster and what travel perks they received. It was a spreadsheet with working name, real name, contact telephone. Then there were columns hotel, rental car etc. There were some guys who had their hotel bills paid by the company.....Hogan and his ilk. Hogan also had a limo in every town . The Nasty Boys usually traveled with him. Hogan was also given a suite paid for by the company.

There is one person who knows all of the inside stuff at WCW. Every salary, everything.....Janie Engle. She knew everything and said nothing. I'm still touch with Janie and, occasionally we talk about those days....she's a fountain of accurate information. If I ever wanted to write a book about WCW, she'd be my main source....she knew it all.

[ 04-24-2014, 12:34 AM: Message edited by: SteveHarms87 ]

russian heel
Member # 90643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for russian heel         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DDP was getting $1,300,000 as of November of 1999

There is no one in the business that came in with so little and worked so hard to pocket a few Mil.

Page Joseph Falkinburg, you are a Hero to hustlers EVERYWHERE! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
"THIS PLACE HAS GONE BANANAS!!!!!"- Gorilla Monsoon

greenhornet
Member # 25257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for greenhornet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who gets credit for putting such value on some of those guys with little to no talent?
Gov't Mule
Member # 2440

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gov't Mule     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by russian heel:

There is no one in the business that came in with so little and worked so hard to pocket a few Mil.

Page Joseph Falkinburg, you are a Hero to hustlers EVERYWHERE! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

According to him (grain of salt), he's made more money with DDP Yoga the last several years than in his entire wrestling career. Hustler indeed.
greenhornet
Member # 25257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for greenhornet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gov't Mule:
quote:

According to him (grain of salt), he's made more money with DDP Yoga the last several years than in his entire wrestling career. Hustler indeed.
Highly unlikely to use a quote Gorilla Monsoon liked to use.
codystarbuck
Member # 27176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for codystarbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by greenhornet:
quote:
quote:

Oh, I don't know; he has direct control, so more of the profit goes directly into his pocket. It's possible, though I suspect it would be more likely true if the dvd's were being mass distributed. I wouldn't be surprised if he was at least on his way to making more than he did in wrestling.

--------------------
"The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it’s as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues." —Terry Pratchett

brawler2711
Member # 26849

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brawler2711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by codystarbuck:
quote:
Originally posted by greenhornet:
quote:
quote:

Oh, I don't know; he has direct control, so more of the profit goes directly into his pocket. It's possible, though I suspect it would be more likely true if the dvd's were being mass distributed. I wouldn't be surprised if he was at least on his way to making more than he did in wrestling.
Plus he filmed all the contents for the DVDs when it was named YRG back in 08 or 09 and charges a lot for yoga dvds. Do you want a $5.00 yoga DVD out of the WalMart bin or do you want to pay $70.00 which is currently his cheapest package offering. Plus tack on extra 50-70 for a heart monitor from his site. Jake must be on the payroll because I assume a ton of wrestling fans ordered the DVDs when Jakes youtube videos went up.

--------------------
Sir Tojo: "I used Brut in the late '60's-early '70's. Used to splash it all over my crotch area after a shower--no joke.I used to get some funny reactions to that back in my early 20's. Fond memories."

RockyRacoon War Damn Eagle from GA
Member # 2212

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RockyRacoon War Damn Eagle from GA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems like Raven sold himself low. ECW stars were exotic, appealing commodities when he jumped. And, he was the hottest of the ECW guys. Plus, he was a guy with a proven track record with the big boys. Seems like he could have held out and gotten $100k to $150k more a year.

--------------------
"... let's get this train wreck a-rollin'!"- Strong Bad

"STOP KICKING ME!!"- Christopher Daniels @ Unbreakable '05

... I believe in Auburn, and love it.

Swimming is just floating forward

TerryR
Member # 5671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RockyRacoon War Damn Eagle from GA:
Seems like Raven sold himself low. ECW stars were exotic, appealing commodities when he jumped. And, he was the hottest of the ECW guys. Plus, he was a guy with a proven track record with the big boys. Seems like he could have held out and gotten $100k to $150k more a year.

Yeah really. He did get a lot of TV time and I remember that he was on the WCW/NWO Revenge video game cover with Goldberg, Hogan and Nash.

I wish they would come out with a retro game that combined those characters with No Mercy characters.

carpetbeggar
Member # 5768

Icon 2 posted      Profile for carpetbeggar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do we have any idea what the native Japanese top talent made throughout the years in the top promotions like NJ, NOAH, and AJ?
Did they have contracts/downsides or was it all based on how much the houses/buy rates were?

--------------------
闘魂 ビンタ FTW

Inoki is greater than Ichiban Hogan

"I just love seeing people beat with chains, and whips."- Johnny Valentine

tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

Here are some salary figures as of the first quarter of 2001. Any incorrect figures are from the source material, mainly the Observer, but also other newsletters of the day.

- A thirty day suspension of Buff Bagwell in late 2000 for hitting a crew member wound up costing him $45,000. That figure includes more than his base salary which was more in the $375,000 range, guaranteed, per year.

- Mark Madden got a raise $150,000 per year in 2000 after getting promoted to the Nitro announcing team

- As of early 2001, the Observer had the members of Jung Dragons and Three Count making $50,000 to $80,000 per year apiece. However, the manner in which the number was referenced makes it seem apocraphal as opposed to factual

- Vince Russo's deal in the fall of 1999 with WCW was for $500,000 per year. Ed Ferrara made the same or a bit less.

- Kevin Sullivan made $300,000 per year and, insanely due to all the cost cutting going on, it was allowed to roll over for another year in early 2001 even though he wasn't being used in creative or the ring.

- Super Crazy was supposedly offered $85,000 by the WWF. WCW supposedly offered him $750 per week plus $500 extra per appearance, the same as Christopher Daniels and Michael Modest signed for. The plan, at least for Super Crazy, was increase that to $85,000 per year after the Fusient deal closed and things stabilized.

- Crowbar was cut in early 2001 in a 90 day review cycle. He'd made $100,000 per year previously.

- Kevin Nash had a guaranteed deal for $1,625,000 ending in early 2002

- Sting was getting close to $2,000,000 per year guaranteed.

- Booker T was getting $750,000 per year guaranteed.

- Bill Goldberg was said to be making $2,000,000 per year with two and a half years to go. Goldberg was owed about $6,000,000 in all at the time WCW closed. I’ve also heard it was $2,200,000 and increasing each year to make a total greater than $6,000,000. It could be a false memory. I need to find the relevant newsletter, if it exists.

- When WCW closed, Ric Flair was getting a guaranteed $800,000 per year with two years to go

- Konnan had his contract reworked in a cost savings measure by WCW and that allowed him to still get paid while working outside dates Mexico and WWC (WCW had cut way back on shows by the fall of 2000). This enabled him to double dip after WCW closed when most with guaranteed deals could not.

- Billy Kidman, Rey Mysterio Jr., and Chris Kanyon each made "in excess of $300,000 per year", guaranteed.

- Lance Storm and Mike Awesome each made $200,000 per year with 90 day review cycles.

- Legal action stemming from Owen Hart's death, revealed the following. Owen Hart got $30,000 in 1988 (four and a half months), $56,000 in 1989 (about six months), $311,000 in 1996 with a $250,000 downside, $285,000 in 1997 with a $250,000 downside, and $537,000 in 1998 with $400,000 downside. No other years were shown.

- Tajiri and Jerry Lynn each received $125,000 per year downsides for three years from the WWF after ECW collapsed.

- The WWF gave a $100,000 downside to Rhyno for three years with a company option for a fourth. Looking at what Tajiri and Lynn got, and Tajiri was initially pegged in reports at $100,000, it makes me think Rhyno may have received more.

When ECW filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, it owed money to the following wrestlers, most of it uncollectible.

Rob Van Dam - $150,000
Tommy Dreamer - $100,000
Joey Styles - $50,480
Rhino - $50,000
Shane Douglas - $48,400
Francine - $47,275
Roadkill - $21,250
Don Callis - $12,000
Dawn Marie - $9,000
Tajiri - $5,000
Super Crazy - $5,000

[ 04-24-2014, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: tamalie from MN ]

Forrest
Member # 108567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Forrest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Since we are talking salaries, does anyone know for sure the royalty situation for old footage? Do guys get royalties for WWE running old WCW saturday night shows on WWE 24/7? How about former WWE wrestlers with house shows on 24/7? And does the Network model change how royalties are paid or IF they are paid? Does Booker T or whoever get a small check everytime WWE steals a soundbite for WWE confidential and inserts it in yet another program on the network?

The reason I ask is that a friend brought up a point when discussing the turtle like pace WWE was placing content on the network. He suggested that even with 24/7 footage that has already been sanitized of music issues, choking, etc. there might by royalty issues to work out.

Court Bauer was speaking about this, as he asked Konnan about whether he is owed royalties when they show old Nitros or whatever. The general assumption is similar to when they put old WCW matches on DVD. These people ARE owed royalties, but WWE does the bare minimum when it comes to seeking these people out and calculating percentages. If someone like Jerry Flynn was featured, it would be up to Flynn to seek out his dough. If a wrestler DOES make a royalties claim, WWE don't really fight it. They simply offer them an over-inflated settlement with the proviso that they can't claim more royalties down the line (hence the larger payout as compensation for future royalties).

The problem with the Network is a lot of deals from previous years purely covered DVD royalties and because this is a different form of media, there MAY be grounds for lower-carders to renegotiate their previous deals (though I'm not going to say that with too much authority, as I'm not a legal eagle).

The idea of Glacier, Villano IV and CIMA getting a cheque off WWE in 2014 for appearances on the {Pro} really does delight me though.

tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

quote:
Originally posted by BVRF05: Eddie Gilbert Fan:
I am still shocked that Stevie Ray made that much money.

Several minority performers in WCW discussed a class action lawsuit in the 1998 range over a lack of pushes and stereotypical roles. WCW responded by bumping up the pay for both Harlem Heat members big time. Booker T got the singles push he was ready to run with while Stevie Ray wound up with a promintent NWO role. Neither was involved in the discussed legal action. It's been a long time, but I think some others were taken care of in different ways to quiet things down. Vince Russo made some derogatory comments about the luchadors that wound up causing the same group (Sonny Onoo, Bobby Walker, and others) to reband and sue WCW in 2000 for pretty much the same reasons as before. It was settled out of court.
Rob
Member # 4213

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TerryR:
quote:
Originally posted by RockyRacoon War Damn Eagle from GA:

Yeah really. He did get a lot of TV time and I remember that he was on the WCW/NWO Revenge video game cover with Goldberg, Hogan and Nash.

I wish they would come out with a retro game that combined those characters with No Mercy characters.

In one of the many shoot interviews that Raven has done (can't remember which one), he mentioned that he heard about Sandman's deal, and he told them that "he wanted what Hak was making", so they gave it to him. Remember $ 275K is much more than anyone was making in ECW at the time, plus with all of Raven's known vices he may have not beem dealing with a clear head at the time.

--------------------
I am always right, because I always listen to my wife.

mookieghana
Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mookieghana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been keeping this in my back pocket for awhile, but I might as well break it out....

I've got a copy of the Sonny Onoo discrimination lawsuit documents. It includes many disclosures about WCW payroll including one set of documents that was "WCW Payroll as of May 23 2000". It's the year-by-year contracts (renewals dates, number of house shows, max days, PPV bonus, etc.) for everyone.

This isn't to say this what anyone was actually paid, it's just what their contract was written for. Obviously, some people made more (due to bonuses, timing, PPV) and some people made less (getting cut). This would all be synced to the contract year. In the spreadsheet I just looked at, I tried to pull what the pay was for each wrestler for their current year of their contract (as of May 2000):

Goldberg: $2,500,000
Bret Hart: $2,500,000
Sting: $1,500,000
Kevin Nash: $1,450,000
Scott Hall: $1,450,000
The Total Package: $1,400,000
Diamond Dallas Page: $1,250,000
Sid Vicious: $800,000
Scott Steiner: $750,000
Rick Steiner (Varsity Club): $750,000
Rowdy Roddy Piper: $750,000
Booker T: $700,000
Tank Abbott: $650,000
Konnan: $570,000

Dustin Rhodes: $500,000
Ric Flair: $500,000
Curt Hennig: $425,000
Rey Mysterio Jr.: $400,000
Marcus Bagwell: $400,000
The Cat: $400,000
Bam Bam Bigelow: $400,000
Berlyn: $395,000
Mike Awesome: $350,000
"The Franchise" Shane Douglas: $350,000
Billy Kidman: $300,000
Disco Inferno: $300,000
Jeff Jarrett: $275,000
Vampiro: $250,000
Captain Rection: $250,000
Fit Finlay: $250,000
Brian Knobs: $245,000
Kanyon: $240,000
Harlem Heat - Stevie Ray: $240,000
Horace: $225,000
Torrie Wilson: $200,000
Juventud Guerrera: $200,000
Kimberly: $200,000
Lieutenant Loco: $185,000
La Parka: $180,000
Meng: $180,000
Kronic - Brian Adams: $175,000
Kronic - Bryan Clark: $175,000
Hacksaw Jim Duggan: $175,000
Michael Wallstreet: $165,000
Psychosis: $160,000

Ice Train: $150,000
Madusa: $150,000
NWO Sting: $150,000
Mike Jones: $150,000
Elizabeth: $150,000
Jerry Flynn: $150,000
Big Vito: $130,000
Harris Boys - Don Harris: $130,000
Harris Boys - Ron Harris: $130,000
David Flair: $125,000
Buzzkill: $125,000
Los Fabulosos Silver King: $120,000
Norman Smiley: $120,000
Lane: $110,000
Idol: $110,000
Mona: $105,000
Chris Candido: $104,000
Artist formerly known as Prince Iaukea: $104,000
Jung Dragons - Kaz: $100,000
Villano IV: $100,000
El Dandy: $100,000
Villano V: $100,000
Jakob: $100,000 (bodybuilder with giant arms they signed in a Nitro segment)
Hardwork Bobby Walker: $100,000
Nick Patrick: $90,000
Evan Karagias: $85,000
Hale: $85,000
Shawn Stasiak: $78,000
Ralphus: $78,000 (based on the idea he'd appear at 2 events per week for $750/event)
3 Count (Shannon): $75,000
Johnny "The Bull": $75,000
Corporal Cajun: $75,000
3 Count (Shane): $75,000
Crowbar: $75,000
The Demon: $75,000
Chris Daniels: $75,000
The Wall: $75,000
Asya: $75,000
Danny Faqir: $75,000
Rick Fuller: $65,000
Disorderly Conduct - Tough Tom: $60,000
Disorderly Conduct - Mean Mike: $60,000
Scott Armstrong: $52,143

Daffney Unger: $52,000
Spice: $52,000
Chae: $52,000
Tygress: $52,000
Paisley: $52,000
Kid Romeo: $39,107
Mark Jindrak: $39,000
Chuck Palumbo: $39,000
Elix Skipper: $39,000
Rick Cornell: $33,800
Sonny Siaki: $31,200
Allan Funk: $31,200
Sean Haire: $31,200
Troy Endres: $31,200
Leo Burke: $26,071
Alicia Webb: $26,000
Leia Meow: $26,000

Ms. Hancock: $15,000
Baby: $15,000
Syren: $15,000
Chameleon: $15,000
Chiquita: $15,000
Starr: $15,000
Payton: $15,000

There's a separate document that lists every single wrestler and what they were paid for merchandise/salary from 1996-2000 and you'll see that people often got a different amount that what their contract stated.

--------------------
indeedwrestling.com

Lots of Original Wrestling Statistics

Blue Thunder
Member # 4504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Thunder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How much Bischoff making as head of WCW?

--------------------
"Racism is evil"- Donald Trump

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations