WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Tutorial: The Difference between Copyright and Trademark

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tutorial: The Difference between Copyright and Trademark
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not rocket science:

COPYRIGHT protects CREATIVE WORK FIXED IN FORM.

TRADEMARK protects WORDS, PHRASES &/or IMAGES USED IN COMMERCE.

If you think for a second, you can figure out which thing you're talking about.

The only really gray area I can think of is that you can copyright the ARTWORK for a character's appearance, and you can also TRADEMARK the image.

But aside from that... it ain't rocket science.

So long from the Sunshine State!

[ 04-20-2015, 05:06 AM: Message edited by: Mark Nulty from WA ]

--------------------
If you lames are the master race, my money's on the mud people.---Andrew Vachss

IP: Logged
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Or the artwork for a logo, or whatever, and TM the logo, etc.)

--------------------

Dan P-170
Member # 32

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P-170     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Championship belts would also fall under both categories. Copyright on the design/artwork (right to copy/reproduce) and trademark on the image/likeness once it's used it commerce by whatever organization,

e.g. The NWA and Turner suing Flair and Titan Sports in 1991 for capitalizing on the Big Gold Belt as the symbol of the NWA and/or WCW World title with the whole "Real World Champion" deal.

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Zackly.

--------------------

Travlr
Administrator
Member # 4304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travlr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This short bit may help explain the "copyright" side of things (although it goes much further than just that):

--------------------
The Traveller
a fan since '68....

"Reputation is what others think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. The friction tends to arise when the two are not the same.... Guard your honor; let your reputation fall where it may."

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations