WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » What are you watching? (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: What are you watching?
Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arnold_OldSchool     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/wrestle-war-91/#.VCqfPxaGcg8 WAR GAMES!!! Stan Hansen vs. VADER!!!, DOOM implode!!, Nikita Koloff makes a shocking return, Lex Luger and Dan Spivey nearly steal the show, and much more!
IP: Logged
Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arnold_OldSchool     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/wcw-superbrawl-91/#.VECEvsmGcg8

WCW offers up the biggest mega match possible as 4 superhero babyfaces collide in tag action as Lex Luger and Sting battle the Steiners! Flair combats Tatsumi Fujinami for the WCW World title, Brian Pillman collides with Barry Windham, El Gigante goes toe to toe with Sid Vicious, OZ makes his infamous debut, DOOM clash in a cage with one another and more!!

Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/clash-of-the-champions-15-knocksville-usa/#.VECHTsmGcg9

Bobby Eaton takes the measure of Ric Flair in a best of 3 Falls endurance battle, Lex Luger collides with The Great Muta for the number one contender's spot, Sting faces Nikita Koloff, The Steiners battle Hase and Chono, Pillman and El Gigante butt heads with the Horsemen, plus a ridiculous amount of new faces debut!!

Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/wcw-great-american-bash-1991/#.VEkn0cmmU1I

The infamous Bash 91 where Ric Flair left WCW beforehand... Luger collides with Barry Windham for the World title...plus a Scaffold match with big bump...El Gigante and One Man Gang trying to set a new record for suck...OZ in action again... Sting and Nikita battle in a Russian Chain match...The Rock and Roll Express prove even they can be a cure for insomnia...plus Missy Hyatt naked and other clashes of limited consequence!!

Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/the-monday-night-wars-week-31-april-1st-1996/#.VEwzUsmmU1K

Another big week as the WWF has 2 familiar faces debut the night after Wrestlemania - WCW competes by having Hulk Hogan in yet another match with the Dungeon/Horsemen, Luger vs. Flair and Sting vs. The Giant!!

Tatsuya
Member # 80195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tatsuya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll see how long it lasts but I want to go through the Monday Nitros in order on the network.

Pillman vs Liger kicks off Nitro. Liger coming off a broken leg according to Bischoff while Pillman is looking chunky. Some of the spots aren't smooth but it's okay but miles inferior to their 1992 SuperBrawl 1992 match (I also saw a handheld of them from I believe the Meadowlands that was very good). Mongo with some clever barbs at Heenan...."The Stain" and Bobby Hernia. Not sure what was worse, McMichaels the announcer or the wrestler

Flair vs Sting is next and the first "holy you know what" moment of the Monday Night War with Luger appearing. By the way, if this was the Mall of America, where did the wrestler's change? One of those weird thought that came to me while watching. Anyway, standard Sting-Flair fare...lots of press slams and no selling of Flair's offense by Sting. Arn comes in...he was still the face in the feud with Flair at the time as he prevents Flair from cheating.

Scott Flash Norton charges into the announce area and after an exchange with Mongo, the Macho Man runs in to save the day and sets up the match for next week.

Hogan promoting Pasta-mania is somewhere in all this (not doing a review was I watch) as is vignettes of Sabu and a promo by Michael Wallstreet announcing their debuts

Hogan vs Big Bubba is next. Pretty much Hogan dominating with the classic line by Mongo about how Bubba is a brawler while Hogan is more of a technician. Mongo should have just gone the way of Rob Bartlett. After the Hogan win, the Dungeon all run in to attack Hogan, who is able to fight them all off but Luger comes in for the save anyway. Luger and Hogan square off with Savage and Sting coming in to play peacemaker. Luger talks about wanting a title shot and Hogan grants it to him for next week. Wonder what Sting and Savage who have yet to get a title shot against Hogan thought about that.

Anyway, thought it was a fun show when I watched it back in 1995 and had fun going back in time

Tatsuya
Member # 80195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tatsuya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Instead of the next Nitro, I watched DX Confidential. It was interesting to see them not avoid Chyna. There seem to be some weird editing, just seem to skip in some parts. HHH never did answer the question Cole asked about what would they have done had some WCW wrestlers come out to take them on during that invasion (although maybe he did in an indirect way by saying that nothing was really planned out). To his credit, they were somewhat frank about what a jerk Michaels was at the time and it was cool seeing that post WM 14 press conference where Shawn looked like he threw a tantrum and said he wanted to punch people out (yeah, wouldn't try that with Tyson in the room).

While they did talk a bit about Chyna, it was mostly about HHH and Michaels, not much about X-Pac and the New Age Outlaw. I've heard that these days, Eddie Murphy looks back at his barbs on gays and regrets it....watching some of those DX skits, the guys seem to cringe somewhat but still seem amused by them (HHH seemed more amused than Shawn)

Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/clash-of-the-champions-16-fall-brawl-91/#.VE-Yz8mmU1I

We start with tons of news from recent WCW events - both on and off camera. Then we move on to the action where Ron Simmons receives a hard push to prep him for his first PPV headlining role, Rick Steiner and Bill Kazmaier battle The Enforcers, Steve Austin tries to fend off the Z-man, a battle royal, Van Hammer debuts, Sting wrestles in one of the worst matches of his career against Johnny B Badd, and other action!

Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/halloween-havoc-91/#.VFOYRMmmU1I

Wrestlecrap meets bad booking as THE CHAMBER OF HORRORS sees 10 of WCW's best confined into a cell full of weapons and electricity! Plus Phantoms and Creatures wrestle! BOOOOO! (Am I mad or making ghost sounds?) More OZ matches as he battles Bill Kazmaier, The Freebirds stink up the place again, Van Hammer wrestles a jobber (only on PPV!) Ron Simmons dreams of being world champ are undone by his own hand...and in between all the ****, Bobby Eaton and Terry Taylor try and steal the show before young studs Dustin Rhodes and Steve Austin can leave their own mark.

Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/wcw-clash-of-the-champions-17/#.VGIRXMmmXjI

Steiner vs Luger, Dustin and The Dragon vs. The Enforcers, Sting vs. Rick Rude, Hammer vs Cactus, Austin vs. PN Newz and more!

Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/survivor-series-showdown-1989-and-1990/#.VGSxFMmmXjI

Survivor Series is fast approaching, so let's look back at the 89 and 90 "Survivor Series Showdown" specials that promoted each event. Featured matches include Big Bossman vs. Earthquake, Tito Santana vs. Sgt. Slaughter, Macho Man vs. Hercules and The Ultimate Warrior vs. Tully Blanchard...plus action from Rick Martel, Bret Hart, Mr.Perfect and Kerry Von Erich!!

Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/survivor-series-showdown-9192-and-93/#.VGtIncmmXjI...

I cover 3 years worth of the USA Specials that preceded the yearly Survivor Series PPVs. Matches include Virgil vs. Million Dollar Man, Bossman vs. Quake, Davey Boy Smith vs. HBK, Quake vs IRS, Bret Hart vs. Yokozuna and Marty Jannetty vs IRS plus recaps of some of the hot angles that surrounded the event such as Macho Man being bit by a snake, Hogan being buried on the Funeral Parlor, Mr. Perfect turning on Ric Flair and so on...

Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/the-monday-night-wars-april-8th-15th-and-22nd/#.VG4xlMmmXjJ

3 full weeks of the Monday night wars see Hulk Hogan end his feud with the Dungeon of Doom once and for all, the fallout of Brian Pillman's horrific accident, Yokozuna is destroyed by Vader in an awesome angle, Goldust ups the homophobia with sexual assaults on Savio Vega and the Ultimate Warrior, plus Luger/Sting battle Flair and the Giant and much more!

Erik from PU
Member # 8376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Erik from PU     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lucha Underground. The production values are off the charts. It doesn't matter if the wrestling is occasionally sloppy, it still looks like a million bucks. Striker and Vampiro focus on the in-ring action, and Manager Konnan is light years away from NWO Konnan (in a good way, obviously)

I am also getting caught up on NXT. All the good things people have said about that show are true.

--------------------
CHAMPIONSHIP PRICES WILL PREVAIL $2.00-$3.00-$5.00

Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

quote:
Originally posted by Erik from PU:
Lucha Underground. The production values are off the charts. It doesn't matter if the wrestling is occasionally sloppy, it still looks like a million bucks. Striker and Vampiro focus on the in-ring action, and Manager Konnan is light years away from NWO Konnan (in a good way, obviously)

I am also getting caught up on NXT. All the good things people have said about that show are true.

Those two seem to be the best TV wrestling we have right now. Wish I watched more of them.
SomethingSavage
Member # 49196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SomethingSavage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got caught up on the last few episodes of Lucha Underground. It's consistently holding up as my favorite wrestling program at the moment.

Plus I've finally found a few consecutive days off, and so I decided to go back and binge (re)watch Championship Wrestling From Hollywood - from the very beginning. Gotta go back to Blip TV for the very start, but it's well worth the look back. I'd forgotten just how awesome the Pearce/Cabana feud was at the time. I remembered enjoying it, but man oh man. It holds up. Everything about that feud felt like something straight out of the territories.

It's got everything. Slow burn, patient build-up? Check. Neck brace angle? Check. Fiery babyface comebacks? Check. Fireballs? Check. Heel champion surrounding himself with a human wall of lackeys? Check. Weasel heel manager with a stable of henchmen? Check. Just a great grudge that carried on & on & on for a seriously LONG time, yet it never felt stalled or derailed. And I'm not even up to the 7 Levels of Hate in my viewing yet. But yeah. Absolutely enjoying the stuff from those guys.

Toss in tremendous matches from Aries, Willie Mack, Scorpio, and others in the meantime - and it's easy to recall just why I was such a big fan of Hollywood back in the day.

There's also all the dynamic personalities and characters. The work they did there felt like a precursor to the stuff we'd later get with the NXT relaunch and (most recently) the type of thing we're seeing with Lucha U. It's not nearly as polished or sleek in its presentation, of course - but the blueprint is there. Purely fun stuff and totally worth taking the time to trek through all over again. Glad I've had the time to do it, as Hollywood & Lucha Underground have really reignited my enthusiasm - at a time when my interest was REALLY starting to drop off.

There's an abundance of colorful characters, even if some of 'em are incredibly cheesy. It's good stuff. "Pretty" Peter Avalon is the type of gimmick that I'd legitimately LOVE to see ripped off on the big stage.

The Cutler Brothers, working the fitness tag team gimmick, being billed from "your local GNC" is tremendous.

Colt Cabana's celebration of his first NWA World Heavyweight Championship victory was simply phenomenal. Similar to the recent Sami Zayn win, it was just built & built to a HUGE payoff, and it meant so much more as a result. The personal stamp of having Colt treat the crowd to chocolate milk puts it over the top for me. That's pure pro wrestling right there, people.

Call me crazy, but going back and reviewing these shows... Shaun Ricker strikes me as a "Can't Miss" prospect. Not sure what happened with his NXT tenure to get him released - especially after appearing on Rocky's Hero reality show, but he seemed on track to make it big. The guy's got a surefire look & money promo. Rarely seen him look like anything other than a star in waiting.

I've always enjoyed Excalibur's commentary in PWG and for the Wrestle Reunion events, but I didn't even remember him appearing so often on the earlier Hollywood shows. He does a solid enough job, especially when it comes to putting the simpler things into perspective. For instance, I like how he logically breaks down the ludicrous idea of letting a match happen after a pre-match assault on the outside - comparing it to a Nascar driver having their tires slit before a big race, only then to be told, "Well it happened BEFORE the race started, so now ya have to go out & run the race this way." Nice.

I'm at that point in my rewatching where Stu Stone is JUST beginning to turn heel. He eventually grows into a great little slimeball sleazebag manager, but he was a little too retro and contrived with getting it off the ground at first. I still think this approach could have worked for everyone's benefit back when Michael Cole was working the angle with Lawler. If they'd just put faith into someone else to become the lead announcer, then Cole probably could've made the transition into a worthwhile heel manager for awhile. Maybe I'm in the minority there, but I don't know.

As far as the action goes, Hollywood delivers AT LEAST one solid match per episode. There's inconsistency among the undercard, of course. But that's totally forgivable. The angles are fun. The personalities are dynamic. And, at this particular point in my rewatch, the Scorpio Sky vs. Austin Aries "Best of 5" series has been fantastic. The matches function flawlessly enough in a vacuum, since they're each designed to tell a self-contained story on their own. But the beauty is in the way they are painting a bigger picture along the way. Each match's outcome and action holds value & meaning, directly & distinctly playing into the next bout of the series every time.

Aries is vicious, sawing & gnawing away at Sky's legs like a piranha. Scorpio is the quintessential babyface, battling against injury & all odds - even in the face of permanent damage. Scorpio throws one of the SICKEST knee strikes I've ever seen, and I've never seen it look off target. He snaps that bad boy off with pinpoint precision, and it makes me wish more guys on the main scene would try this out, instead of everyone & their third cousin using the Superkick as their go-to "impulse" spot.

But yeah. Good stuff with those two in their series so far. Haven't reached the finish of their encounters just yet, but I'm legitimately excited all over again - ESPECIALLY since I don't even recall who wins the darn thing. Meantime? Aries is busting out badass submissions left & right. Sky is dishing out knee strikes that are slicker than owl ****. And it's making for truly fun TV.

Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/1991-starrcade-battle-bowl/#.VJVrYP8w4A

A bizarre night of action as 40 men are forced to team up with random partners to try and qualify for the "Battle Bowl". This leads to strange pairings such as Sting teaming with Abby the Butcher, The Freebirds colliding, Justin Liger trying to make rookie DDP look good and other such oddities. A fun card, but why ruin the Starrcade brand with the gimmick?

Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/in-your-house-good-friends-better-enemies/#.VJhbG_8JDhs

Shawn Michaels makes his first PPV title defense against his former best friend Diesel, The Ultimate Warrior participates in a debacle with Goldust, Razor Ramon makes his final WWF TV appearance colliding with Big Van Vader, plus a pair of lackluster tag bouts fill out the card.

SomethingSavage
Member # 49196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SomethingSavage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finally got around to watching this year's Tribute To The Troops event. Call me crazy, but I definitely dug it as a throwaway "special" kind of show. Genuinely just a real feel good theme throughout the whole thing.

Kicking the thing off with Hulk's "Real American" was great. Maybe it's the holidays, or maybe it's me just being a sucker for nostalgia... I don't know. But I got goosebumps when I saw the Hulkster, the flag waving, and THAT entrance.

Matches were mostly meh, but it's whatever. The Boot Camp battle delivered some decent action on that front. Sarge doing the intro for it was a nice freaking touch, and hey. It was solid enough for what it was - a bit tame for my tastes, but the crowd seemed into it.

I normally don't care for musical acts and performances in the middle of a show, but it felt totally appropriate for this one. The entire scene was certainly enhanced by the fact that the crowd looked to be actively enjoying it all. Gave things a boost by looking like an actual concert atmosphere.

I was surprised that NOBODY even commented on Daniel Bryan's actual health or status during that segment with Rusev. That was strange. If you'd been away from awhile as a regular viewer, then you could've EASILY bought into the notion that Bryan was back & cleared for competition. Bizarre.

Ryback delaying Harper in that vertical suplex was a pretty sweet spot. The finishing stretch was fun, too. We've seen it several dozen times, but that's alright. And at least they STILL seem intent on protecting Dolph & presenting him in a positive light.

All in all, not a bad show at all.

Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/wcw-clash-of-the-champions-18-the-dangerous-alliance-rises/#.VJ4wTv8JDhu

A mixed bag of a card features such great matches like Sting and Ricky Steamboat vs. Rick Rude and Steve Austin, Six-man action with Dustin Rhodes, Barry Windham, and Ron Simmons vs. Larry Zybysko, Arn Anderson and Bobby Eaton, The Steiners vs. VADER and Mr, Hughes, and an entertaining Van Hammer/Cactus Jack Falls count anywhere brawl. A liberal dose of Wrestlecrap sees PN News and Vinnie Vegas in action and the Freebirds participate in a ridiculous song and dance routine. All in all an entertaining two hour broadcast!

SomethingSavage
Member # 49196

Still sticking with my (re)watch of the entire Championship Wrestling From Hollywood series, going all the way back to the start. Thoroughly enjoying what I've seen (again) thus far, as almost everything feels fresh & new to me again. It's been so long since I've seen a lot of this stuff, so it's truly a treat to look back on it now. The quality holds up quite well. And - I've said this before - but the presentation & format really feels like a precursor to a lot of the stuff we later got with the NXT relaunch. It's just a streamlined show, with very little filler or throwaway air time. Everything feels progressive & meaningful, which seems to be a staple in most of the NXT and even Lucha Underground programming we're seeing these days.

Specifically? Guys like Willie Mack, Peter Avalon (yes), and especially Scorpio Sky are bringing the heat. These guys just go out there and consistently tear it up in their matches, no matter WHO they're facing on a weekly basis. It's great.

The Austin Aries vs. Scorpio Sky "Best of Five" series was phenomenal. Simply put, I think it belongs among the more mainstream series that anybody has put out. Bell to bell, the action is intense and fierce. The matches are strung together seamlessly to tell ONE big story, yet each can be absorbed & enjoyed on their own in absolute isolation. Aries is relentless and vicious in his assaults, busting out badass submissions and just behaving like a predator through & through. Meanwhile, Sky plays the part of the baby in peril PERFECTLY. He's no Rey Mysterio or even Sean Waltman for me, but he's still pretty darn spectacular in the role. Garners sympathy like a champ, sells the hell out of a concussion angle, and has you rooting for him straight up to the finish.

Speaking of finishes, I love the little angle they ran at the end of the series. A fun sort of swerve, without taking ANYTHING away from the efforts or substance of the story they told. There's also this really cool image of Austin Aries ripping apart a fan's sign that proclaims, "Austin Aries Cheats!" Aries looks directly at the camera and says, "No way. Cheaters never win. And I won! I wonnnn!" Just awesome stuff.

Among other things, Willie Mack and Joey Kaos (who I'm admittedly not a big fan of) actually delivered a damn fine Lumberjack Match one week in my recent viewing. The stipulation made sense, fit the tempo, and was used about as well as I've ever seen. The match actually felt like a proper payoff & conclusion at that time, although they DO revisit the rivalry just a month or so later. Still? It's treated as a substantial gimmick for a change.

I'm that guy that'll stand up for Matt Striker on commentary, so I don't mind Todd Keneley's geeky references or phrases at the announce booth. I actually think it's fairly impressive how many he'll bust out during - for instance - a RockNES Monsters match. Goes a little overboard at times, like Striker. But hey. Like it or not, we live in a Geek Squad world these days. Nerdist culture IS today's pop culture. So it fits.

Stu Stone, in full villain mode by now, was a hoot on commentary recently also. During a Nick Madrid match, there's a full flock of fans at ringside, all sporting these bright yellow Madrid T-shirts. Keneley mentions 'em, and Stone runs with it - talking about how they're all related to Nick, living together & crammed in a single bedroom apartment up the road. Loved it. Other comments that had me cracking up? "I hate to give him credit, Todd... ... ... so I won't." And when Todd makes the cliche comment of, "What's it gonna take to keep Nick Madrid down?!" Stu calmly comes back with, "Well... it's gonna take the referee counting to three." Tremendous.

Another enjoyable discovery for me has been the Tribe. I don't recall liking much AT ALL about these guys before, but I'm seriously digging 'em this time around. They're just a real roughhouse type of team. Hawaiian Lion's stupid name is misleading, because the guy busts out some BRUTAL throws & suplexes left and right. He just destroys dudes with Saito Suplexes, T-Bones, Exploders, and all kinds of other goodness. Even Navajo Warrior brings to the table a stiff Bray Wyatt bodyblock and (my personal favorite) Running Death Valley Driver. Their offense is just SICK at times. If the Ascension were doing THIS kind of stuff, then maybe they'd look like a threat on the big stage.

Oh, and the Tribe brings the added advantage of the warpaint. So there's bonus points for that. Plus they pack a freaking scalping hatchet & leather strap to the ring. Those HAVE to rank right up there among my favorite foreign objects of choice.

"Pretty" Peter Avalon has been a revelation of sorts, too. I remember liking his work early on, before a lot of the PWG stuff, but man oh man. I didn't recall him showing signs of it THIS soon. But there he is, bringing stellar matches to the forefront from day one. There's a particularly awesome opener with Famous B on one episode that I've already gone back and watched a few more times. Just crisp, swift, and REALLY FUN offense from the guy. He doesn't quite topple Aries, Sky, or Mack for my MVP of the series overall - but he's certainly in the discussion, which is saying something.

But I guess perhaps the absolute BEST part of this series rewatch experience has been reliving the SUPERB storytelling of the Colt Cabana & Adam Pearce rivalry. Make no mistake, it's a feud that deserves to go down among the best of the best. And I don't care who disagrees. I might lose a debate on the subject every time, but I don't care. I'd still state the case & at least present an argument for it belonging in the conversation. It's simply THAT great. Recently, I just got past the point where Colt dethrones Pearce for the first time. Adam promptly disappears from TV - something we should see MORE of with former champions - to sell the importance of the situation.

Better yet is the idea that Colt immediately inherits all of Pearce's enemies and challengers, RIGHT AWAY. That's exactly how the concept should be carried, with a champ being an island unto himself & a giant target to everyone around him. Even his best of friends...

Oh, and I ended my rewatch this week on Pearce making his return... and reluctantly making a split-second decision to actually SAVE Colt from a gang beat down. It's a fantastic little moment that seems SO much more important & dramatic due to Adam's absence from television. I do remember where the story goes from here, but I honestly don't care. My enjoyment of the angle and the story they're telling isn't dampened at all by that fact. I'm just loving reliving the whole thing all over again.

Said it a few times before, but yeah. Between this rewatch & ongoing Lucha Underground, my interest has been revitalized & refreshed again after REALLY taking a dive in the summer and fall months this year.

Jonbek1
Member # 4726

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonbek1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watch the local promotions most weeks - SSW and Smoky Mountain; after college football season I usually watch ROH at their site and will catch Raw and Smackdown replays on Saturday nights on Universal HD channel. I enjoy old territory stuff I find on youtube. I used to watch NXT when it was on Hulu before the new season started and they moved all of the episodes to Hulu+.

--------------------
"All you people out there in TV land get on your phones and call somebody. You tell them that the 'Big Cat' Ernie Ladd is coming to town." Ernie Ladd, MidSouth Wrestling 1980-82.

Jonbek1
Member # 4726

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonbek1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SomethingSavage:
Still sticking with my (re)watch of the entire Championship Wrestling From Hollywood series, going all the way back to the start. Thoroughly enjoying what I've seen (again) thus far, as almost everything feels fresh & new to me again.

When CWfH had all of their shows posted on their website, I used to enjoy watching. I liked if I was busy for a few weeks I could just pick up with whatever episode was the last I'd watched.

--------------------
"All you people out there in TV land get on your phones and call somebody. You tell them that the 'Big Cat' Ernie Ladd is coming to town." Ernie Ladd, MidSouth Wrestling 1980-82.

SomethingSavage
Member # 49196

For what it's worth, man... Hollywood keeps their old episodes archived on BlipTV, and everything else up to Season 4 is uploaded on their YouTube channel. Not sure what's going on with the current episodes though. Maybe they wait and upload a bunch at once? I don't know.

But this past Tuesday night, I was at a local bar where they keep a TV running on MavTV - for the MMA fights usually - and Hollywood runs their show right after. Saw bits & pieces of the Red Carpet Rumble going on, so I'm looking forward to the new stuff being uploaded eventually.

Jonbek1
Member # 4726

quote:
Originally posted by SomethingSavage:
For what it's worth, man... Hollywood keeps their old episodes archived on BlipTV, and everything else up to Season 4 is uploaded on their YouTube channel. Not sure what's going on with the current episodes though. Maybe they wait and upload a bunch at once? I don't know.

But this past Tuesday night, I was at a local bar where they keep a TV running on MavTV - for the MMA fights usually - and Hollywood runs their show right after. Saw bits & pieces of the Red Carpet Rumble going on, so I'm looking forward to the new stuff being uploaded eventually.

Sounds great; I'll have to check it out on bliptv. Thanks

--------------------

mckinneydg
Member # 48545

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mckinneydg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been watching Nitro from the beginning on WWE Network. I really like the format and presentation of the action especially the lack of a 20 minute promo segment to setup the show that we get on RAW.

--------------------
South Atlanta Wrestling

Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/wcw-superbrawl-ii/#.VLaat3vic4J

One of WCW's finest PPV efforts sees a war of attrition between Ricky Steamboat and Rick Rude, The Steiners taking to Arn Anderson and Bobby Eaton to the limit for over 20 mins, Barry Windham teams with Dustin Rhodes to try and avenge Larry Zybysko's breaking Windham's hand - Larry takes Steve Austin as his partner, Justin Liger takes to the air against Flyin' Bryan and Sting clashes with his former best friend Lex Luger for the right to be called World Champion!

Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/wcw-wrestle-war-92/#.VMSvli6oBxU

The best War Games ever sees Sting, Nikita Koloff, Ricky Steamboat, Dustin Rhodes and Barry Windham battle Rick Rude, Larry Zybysko, Bobby Eaton, Arn Anderson and Steve Austin. The undercard sees an incredible Steiner Bros vs. Fujinami and Iizuka war of attrition and Tom Zenk vs. Brian Pillman nearly steal the show in a battle of friendly fire. The rest with the Freebirds, Mr. Hughes, The Super Invader and others is largely BAD, BAD ****.

Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/wcw-beach-blast-92-2/#.VMeari6oBxU

Bill Watts' tenure in WCW begins with a card full of WRASSLIN' - Rick Rude and Ricky Steamboat battle in a 30 minute Iron Man match, The Steiner Bros engage in a war of attrition with Terry Gordy and Dr. Death, Sting and Cactus Jack collide in a Falls Count Anywhere match that has obtained legendary status, The Dangerous Alliance continue their war against Nikita Koloff, Dustin Rhodes and Barry Windham -plus Ron Simmons, Brian Pillman and Greg Valentine are in action on the undercard!!!

Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

NWA Tag Title tourney
WCW hosts the NWA tag title tourney as The Steiners clash with Dr. Death and Terry Gordy, Barry Windham and Dustin Rhodes battle Arn Anderson and Bobby Eaton, Dean Malenko debuts, Justin Liger teams with rival Brian Pillman and top teams from Mexico and Japan try their luck against some of WCW's best!

[ 02-07-2015, 04:44 AM: Message edited by: Arnold_OldSchool ]

Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/wcw-great-american-bash-92/#.VNb54C6oBxV

Sting battles Vader in their first PPV singles encounter with the World title hanging in the balance. Plus the NWA Tag Title Tournament continues as Barry Windham and Dustin Rhodes battle Steve Austin and Rick Rude, Ricky Steamboat and Nikita Koloff attempt to clip the wings of Brian Pillman and Jushin Liger, and Shinya Hashimoto and Hiroshi Hase clash with the Freebirds with Terry Gordy and Dr. Death awaiting the survivors for a night of attrition with gold on the line!!

Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/wcw-clash-of-the-champions-20-20-years-on-tbs-anniversary-special/#.VNoFSi6oBxU

A massive 8-man tag bout featuring Sting, The Steiners and Nikita Koloff against Big Van Vader, Rick Rude, Jake the Snake and the Super Invader headlines a night celebrating the past 20 years of Wrasslin' on TBS. The card also features World Champ Ron Simmons vs. Cactus Jack, Ricky Steamboat vs. Steve Austin and other action featuring Arn Anderson, Barry Windham, Dick Slater, Bobby Eaton and more!!

Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/wcw-halloween-havoc-92/#.VONmii6oBxU

A look back at Halloween Havoc 92, featuring Ricky Steamboat colliding with Brian Pillman, Dr. Death and Steve Austin against Dustin Rhodes and Barry Windham, Big Van Vader bullying Nikita Koloff, a God Awful Masa Chono vs. Rick Rude encounter, Ron Simmons defending the World title against a rejuvenated Barbarian and Sting and Jake the Snake in a bloody finale - plus the story of Jake's near death experience at the hands of a fan is revealed!

Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/wcw-clash-of-the-champions-21/#.VPL2GaR0zVI

A loaded Clash sees Sting battle Rick Rude, Dustin Rhodes and Barry Windham defend their Unified Tag titles against Shane Douglas and Ricky Steamboat, Ron Simmons teaming with 2 Cold Scorpio against the trio of Cactus Jack, The Barbarian and Tony Atlas, Brad Armstrong vs. Brian Pillman, plus a boxing match, an intergender match, sex in a shopping center, and the Erik Watts mega push continues!

Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/wcw-starrcade-92/#.VPstq_nF-So

A true mixed bag of a card has a Sting vs. Vader CLASSIC, Barry Windham and Brian Pillman vs. Ricky Steamboat and Shane Douglas, Barry Windham and The Great Muta vs. Brian Pillman and 2 Cold Scorpio, Masa Chono vs. The Great Muta, Ron Simmons vs. Dr. Death, a battle royal and more!

Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/clash-of-the-champions-22-thundercage/#.VPwyg6R0zVI

Sting and Dustin Rhodes collide with Vader, Paul Orndorff and Barry Windham in a Thundercage!, The Hollywood Blonds try and outshine Ricky Steamboat and Shane Douglas, Brad Armstrong grapples with Chris Benoit, 2 Cold Scorpio flies high against Scotty Flamingo, Johnny B. Badd battles Cactus Jack and more!

elguapo1000%
Member # 4978

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elguapo1000%     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched a Riki Choshu doc/behind the scenes program from 1985 on YouTube. Some great stuff including a training camp.
RoyalDragon
Member # 119461

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RoyalDragon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
elgaupo1000% any chance of a link please? Sounds very interesting [Smile]

--------------------
"I don't get hangovers, I just feel sick and have a headache"

elguapo1000%
Member # 4978

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elguapo1000%     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No problem. Type Riki Choshu Special ( December 1985 All Japan TV). I'm telling you, this is so good. You will see how they travelled, his sponsors, and his close famous friends. I think this was after he jumped to rival Giant Baba's promotion before he went back to his home promotion. Commercials alone. Choshu's charisma is off the charts.
elguapo1000%
Member # 4978

No problem. Type Riki Choshu Special ( December 1985 All Japan TV). I'm telling you, this is so good. You will see how they travelled, his sponsors, and his close famous friends. I think this was after he jumped to rival Giant Baba's promotion before he went back to his home promotion. Commercials alone. Choshu's charisma is off the charts.
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations