WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » What are you watching? (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: What are you watching?
SomethingSavage
Member # 49196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SomethingSavage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some more of the same usual randomness...

Edge (c) vs. Kane vs. Rey Mysterio vs. Alberto Del Rio - Tables, Ladders, and Chairs Match for the World Heavyweight Championship.
My exploration of the "less remembered" Ladder Matches of yesterday brought me to December 2010, where I settled on seeing what this one had to offer. It's another case of me not having any real vivid memories of the match, although I recall the dreadful Edge/Kane feud at the time. 'Berto and Rey were locked into a program together, so we get a mash-up of both feuds to produce this bad boy. There's a variety of styles among them, so altogether it's actually a neat crop of guys thrown together here. Truth be told, none of them are peaking or in their prime at this particular point in time, but I was curious to see how creative they'd get with the stipulation.

Right away, I'll just randomly note that Rey's mask is pretty cool here. Not sure I've ever seen him in this hood on any other occasion. Rey is quite honestly the star of the match, as he shows just how clever he can be in these cluttered environments. He picks his spots well and chooses the most outstanding moments to shine. Early on, he sprints for the belt and QUICKLY moves up the ladder. It's a minor detail, but it matters. It's aggravating to see guys act like they're worn and weathered a mere 2 minutes into these things, but it happens A LOT - to the point where seeing a guy actually move up the ladder with speed and vigor is alarmingly unusual.

But yeah. Rey shows he wants the gold. On the outside, we get a glimpse (just a glimpse!) of Edge and Kane blasting each other with simultaneous boots. Nothing extraordinary, but it's a neat spot that isn't overdone. Rey remains the center of attention for the most part though, busting out a Seated Senton with the assistance of the ladder and later eating a Wheelbarrow Suplex onto the ladder at the hellish hands of Kane.

Edge dishes out a pretty awesome plunge through a table (and Kane) on the outside. Then the Rated R Soopah Starrr takes a nasty spill when he straddles the ropes. Seriously. Guy looks like he could've been split in half right through the uprights. Not a nice landing by ANY stretch of the imagination.

I never understood it when a guy would try a dropkick on the outside. Here, 'Berto outdoes the stupidity of THAT and performs a step-up Enzigurie to Kane. And he pays for it, smacking his hip against the steel of the stage. Dumb.

But it DOES play into a nifty section of the match, wherein everyone works together to gang up & effectively CHOP DOWN the Big Red Monster. Rey (again) seizes the most from the moment by leaping off a piece of the stage structure and CANNONBALLING onto Kane's chest.

Once things get going back in the ring, Rey dials up or whatever, but his 619 is countered with a chair. Pretty sure there's a strong chance we've seen that before and since, but it's still cool to see it stuck in here.

We reach the finishing stretch, and Rey has come full circle. He started off the match with high-energy, swiftly scaling the ladder. By the end, he's selling damage done to the arm and using every muscle fiber to DRAG himself up the ladder. Mysterio eventually runs into the roadblock that is DA DEMON, but the underdog tries one last gasp with his Lionsault. Kane catches him in mid-move and BURIES the luchadore six feet deep with a Tombstone Piledriver. Good stuff in the go-home portion, building to a not-so-hot conclusion of Edge retaining and sort of keeping the issue alive with Kane.

This one's far from the best effort as far as Ladder Matches go, for sure. But it's still a decently fun encounter as a scatter-shot of multi-man action. I figured they'd go for more "multi-man" spots, like the Tower of Doom, etc. But what we got was okay. Nothing from the match necessarily stands out enough to really stick with you, which I suppose is why I had no recollection of it. But I'm glad I gave it another look anyhow, if only for how damn good Rey still was - even with all the injuries racking up and at this late stage of his game.

IP: Logged
SomethingSavage
Member # 49196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SomethingSavage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just ducking in and out of eras where I wasn't watching as much wrestling or as often as usual. Some of the stuff I've seen. Some I haven't. But I'm really enjoying giving second chances to some of this stuff.

The Big Show (c) vs. Ric Flair for the ECW World Heavyweight Championship.

Lots of fun. I remembered really enjoying it at the time it happened, but there was a lot of people that soured INSTANTLY on Show's involvement with the ECW brand as champion. Looking back on it, I think it holds up as a tremendously worthwhile train-wreck.

There's bloodshed & brutality. There's Big Show behaving like a big mean *******. There's Flair eating an ENORMOUS amount of nasty violence at the meaty paws of the champ. Just lots of neat stuff crammed into this one.

I guess it's technically a "championship challenge", with the story being that the Nature Boy seeks out Show and vies to attain the one "World" belt in the company that he hadn't yet captured at the time. But, even so, it quickly breaks down into an all-out brawl. Flair fights for his life and resorts to desperate measures, strictly to survive. And Show brings the heat, like a territorial carnivore that's out to keep anything & everything all to himself.

There are plenty of fun spots sprinkled throughout. Almost right away, Show bludgeons Flair with a barrage of headbutts that cracks the Nature Boy's noggin WIDE OPEN. Taz notes that Show's walking around with a massive friggin' "HEAD LIKE'UH POLICE HORSE", so yeah. Fitting description.

Naitch goes straight into peril mode. There's a nice visual of Show towering over Flair, who's kneeling and just absorbing the punishment that's being poured down onto him. But then (!) Ric goes into his toolbox of tried & true maneuvers - it's a low blow! Vicious uppercut DIRECTLY to the uprights! And it's followed up with a second. Then a third! Christ. Crotch shots & nut crackers. The crowd comes alive for that, as Dirty Trick Ric kicks things into a higher gear.

And Ric Flair goes EXTREME, reaching for the barbed wire bat and introducing various weaponry into the match. It doesn't take long, and Show is soon wearing his own crimson mask. And, if the image of Ric Flair wielding a barbed wire baseball bat and a trash can wasn't enough, then we get Slick Ric busting out... THUMBTACKS.

Show takes a bump into the tacks, but he pops right up. Show rises from the tiny bed of nails like this big, badass fire-breathing dragon - ready to plunder, pillage, and rape. Yup. He's ANGRY, folks. And the mood QUICKLY changes, as Show goes OVERKILL with his onslaught. Clothesline. Chokeslam. And then the Cobra Clutch Back Breaker - which is a finishing sequence that I'd LOVE to see him bring back sometime. It's absolute devastation. Show just manhandles Flair into position, hastily humbles him, drives him down across the knee, and then takes him to the mat for Nap Time.

We get ANOTHER neat visual of an exhausted and broken Flair, just lying there on his side, caught in the big, bad bear-trap that is Show's Cobra Clutch. Flair's chest is heaving up and down, gasping for breath, with a pond of drying & caking blood smeared all down his torso. It's fantastic.

Show isn't satisfied, so he proves his point further by lifting Flair (still in the Cobra Clutch) and just FLINGING him across the ring like a piece of trash. Ric is flung FACE-FIRST and lands in the scattered thumbtacks. So yeah. The Nature Boy goes above & beyond the call of duty in helping Show to look like a newly awakened MONSTER here. The commentary is strong and dialed directly into the story. It all just comes together really well in the end.

Post-match, there's an awesome closeup that actually shows a thumbtack still STUCK in the skull - just hanging there like dandruff in the back of Flair's bleached blonde 'do. And this came before Flair was routinely doing the American Onita shtick in every major match he'd work for WWE. Just a drastically insane change from the older, slower version of standard Flair we were getting for much of his run prior to this stuff.

The whole deal doesn't drag on too long either. And the treatment & attention given to Flair is something that SHOULD have carried over a lot more. Heck, this whole booking phase of Show as ECW Champ is extremely underrated altogether.

SomethingSavage
Member # 49196

More random stuff, piled on top of other random stuff...

Shawn Michaels vs. Edge in a Street Fight from RAW '05.

This is in the beginning stages of Edge's heel run, in which he's still fine tuning the character that would later become known as the Rated R Soooopahstar. Honestly, the match starts off a little slow. But it quickly kicks into another gear and goes from being flat to FAN-freaking-TASTIC rather fast.

The early brawling is your standard stuff. We get a throwback to the full-on Attitude Era days when they take the action through the crowd for a couple of minutes. The whole atmosphere changes once Edge dishes out the Impaler DDT onto a seated steel chair in the center of the ring though. The spot itself looks weak and screwy, but Shawn's noggin is nicked open and... well, the floodgate opens.

The Heartbreak Kid bleeds and is eventually left wearing what's pretty much a PAINTED ON, caked up crimson mask for the duration of the entire match after that. It's a stunningly cool visual, really. Shawn goes for a dive through the ropes at one point, but he falls short - and man, JR is quick on the draw at commentary. The BBQ man cleverly covers, referencing the severe blood-loss and putting Shawn's weakened, drained state to blame. Niiiice.

They bust out the ladder for some of the typical spots, but my favorite is the most unorthodox of the bunch - when Shawn just HURLS the ladder at Edge, who's posted up on the top turnbuckle. No lull in the action or fancy setup required.

Edge retaliates and later scores with a Superfly Splash off the ladder... but man, it's ugly. Honestly, it looks like it'd do more damage to Edge's knees than any part of Shawn's body there.

But the finishing stretch is AWESOME. They go gritty and dirty, which I just love. Edge hits the most BLATANT low blow, directly in the front of the referee. He gathers his plunder for the one-man Con-Chair-To spot... but Shawn reaches up and literally cuts him off WITH A PUNCH TO THE DICK.

It's a ****-fight to the death, folks. And Shawn has the upper hand in this moment. Final moments has Edge rushing at Shawn for the Spear or something, but Shawn explodes with a superkick outta nowhere. Edge EATS the boot like a champ and even gives us a tremendous Cro Cop drop on the sell. Puts it over like a HYOOOJ knockout blow. Loved it.

The Briscoes vs. Matt Hardy & Mike Bennett from this year's Best In The World.

Just had to give this one yet another watch recently. And man, it's one heck of a fun brawl.

Starts off slow with the standard tag, but once Nigel steps in and deems it No DQ? All bets are off. Dem boys pull off a whole collage of cool spots. High on impact and heavy on energy throughout the rest of the fight. It's a beat-em-up, smash-mouth, fast-paced approach - and it all clicks.

We see a Froggie 'Bow through a table, a Doomsday Device on the floor, some typical ladder work, Matt getting slammed through a makeshift bench built out of chairs, a Superplex off the ladder down through a table, a fire extinguisher spot, involvement from Maria, and even Nick Searcy getting thrashed around like a frog in a blender. It's great stuff. And sure. It sort of benefits from the idea that it just kind of sprang up out of nowhere. But I don't care. I dug it.

The Shield vs. Los Matadores & Sin Cara from Main Event this past February.

This was the go-home episode before Elimination Chamber, where the Shield would wage war with the Wyatts. I remember this getting a bit of praise at the time it went down, but I missed it. This came right around the time they started to polish up & pimp the Main Event show pretty hard again - for the Network launch - but I just never took the time to dig back and watch this one.

I'm glad I finally took a moment to scope it out though. It's purely a fun match, from start to finish. It's a prime example of how to work a group of rising stars against a group of low-carders, without the fall guys coming across as TOTAL jobbers or bush league. The luchadores NEVER appear completely outclassed here. While naturally, they absorb a ton of offense and pretty much hit all their flashy pins & aerial attack sequences from defensive positions, they're never really made to look like fodder. It's a fine balance, but they found it for this one.

The match is mostly a case of everyone getting their **** in, but my god... It's good stuff. The action is fast-paced and fluid. The Shield work like a swarm of hornets, simply engulfing whatever masked man happens to be in front of them at that particular point in time. It's all fast tags and quick, dynamic bursts. It works very well in creating a match that is just incredibly fun to watch.

The finishing stretch is the real highlight. There's a bunch of dives. There's Torito involvement. There's Roman Reigns SLICING through two men with one sensational Spear. There's a cool variation of the old Hart Attack with Reigns using the Superman Punch instead. And there's the crowd-pleasing, cavity-crunching Curb Stomp for good measure. Just an awesome, energetic sequence to wrap this one up with a bow on top. Definitely gonna add this one to my re-watch list now.

Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arnold_OldSchool     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/the-great-american-bash-1990-the-new-revolution/#.U7_W5bEm-So

Sting is ordained the face of WCW as he conquers Ric Flair, El Gigante makes his ring debut in tag action against the Horsemen, The Steiners try and clip the Freebirds wings, DOOM defends their gold against the Rock and Roll Express, Lex Luger sends Mean Mark Callous to his grave, the debut of VADER, the last PPV match for Harley Race, an incredible battle between the Wild Eyed Southern Boys and the Midnight Express, plus Doug Furnas, Brian Pillman and the Iron Sheik in action!!

SomethingSavage
Member # 49196

Oh. Ya know. Randomly watching matches, as usual. Most recently?

Team Austin vs. Team Bischoff from Survivor Series 2003.

With it getting some talk in certain circles recently, I wanted to go back and give it another watch. I've been really high on it for a long time, but yeah. This match still holds up STRONG. The story is nearly flawless. Austin and Bischoff as coaches to their teams on the outside is a great touch that adds to the atmosphere in a big way, too.

Each and every one of the players are allowed to make an impact of sorts. Everyone brought their working boots for this bout. And, to their credit, everybody plays their part perfectly. Steiner is the bullying braggart. Booker is a bundle of sporadic energy. Christian is squirmy and devious. Orton is as arrogant as ever. And Shawn is ALL heart in this performance. Simply put, the pieces of this puzzle fit together masterfully in the end.

I'm a sucker for powerhouse, feat of strength spots. So when we get things like Mark Henry reversing a dual Irish Whip and casually just SLINGING the two Dudley Boys into each other? I eat that stuff up. Then there's the elimination for Big Mark. It's handled extremely well, with it taking a one-two punch combination of finishers AND a pile-up pin to put him down for the count. Nice method to keep Henry looking impressive in defeat.

The booking is clever enough to give each individual the opportunity to... well, get all their **** in before they're carted off. I dig that, especially since nothing feels unnecessarily rushed or crammed in too soon. It's a fine balance, but they find it well enough here.

Shawn steals the show and really shines here. Say what you will about the guy on occasion, but Shawn's sensational in this role on this night. He dials up the sympathy selling, and that aspect alone is enough to draw me in. Combine that with the commentary though, and I'm looking at a match that has every right to be called a classic.

Seriously, JR and Lawler have rarely been any better together than they are here. I sincerely mean that. Jerry isn't harping. Ross is as engaged as ever. King has a great moment where he comes around to thinking that maybe - just maybe - Shawn has a real shot at winning against the odds of a 3-on-1 handicap. So Jerry, in all the usual zeal and exuberance you'd expect from King, cries out a passionate, "I BEEEELIEVE! I believe!" It's something that is appreciated so much more in the moment, but it really adds to the viewing experience in my eyes (and ears).

But yeah. The chemistry between JR and King here is right on target, and everything is aimed towards making this one something special. There's a sense of emotion and drama packed into the finishing sequence that we rarely see anymore, and it's truly a shame that this match isn't held in higher regards when we look back on it. It certainly deserves to be. I think this match just suffers a lot from the fact that it took place during such a ****** time of the company's history, as well as the way the fallout was so badly handled and poorly mismanaged from a continuity standpoint.

The comeback section from Shawn is fantastic. The closing stretch is great. It's just a phenomenal, fun, overbooked mess. But it's awesome in being every bit of just that. Bischoff interferes. Austin responds accordingly, violently hurling Sleazy E to the outside like a Hefty bag of wet garbage. Stone Cold then dishes out a Stunner, which Randy Orton feasts on like a FREAKING CHAMP. The sell job is an incredible image of Orton doing the Rocky back-flip and landing with his lower half just draped across the ropes. It's tremendous.

The chaos is furthered by a Batista cameo, allowing Orton to take the win. Once the heels bail, there's a nice tease of tension before the big touching moment of Austin acknowledging Shawn's hard work. Shawn says he's sorry, in something that'd become a bit of a regular gig for him over the next several years. It's still one of those "movie scene" moments, where it can work VERY effectively in wrestling if done correctly. I think that applies here, as it didn't feel too corny or overly cheesy to me. Maybe that's more of a testament to Austin's involvement, but I don't know. Everything that preceded it just made you FEEL bad for Shawn coming up short right at the finish line like that.

Austin gets his farewell Beer Bash with the fans and all that, but yeah. I can't help but feel like this match SHOULD be such a memorable one that people immediately recall, but it's not. It's viewed more as a lost gem are often-forgotten classic, if anything. And that's a real shame. So much more could have come from this though. It could have given a lot more fuel to the fire of Orton's "Legend Killer" shtick. It could have opened the door for them to actually do something fresh and creative with Austin, instead of the Sheriff on the ATV thing. Shawn's guilt could have been a much bigger story line component moving forward - although we DID get a lot of that much later with the Flair retirement.

Enough complaining about the aftermath though. Everything that occurred exclusively from bell to bell & between the ropes? Excellent stuff. Highly recommend anyone out there to re-watch it if bored or just curious, especially for fans of team elimination matches.

SomethingSavage
Member # 49196

For a fresh change of pace, I got to squeeze in some late night lucha & puro viewing before the end of the week. Hey. Granted. It ain't exactly skydiving with strippers. But it's free, enjoyable entertainment nonetheless. Among this week's re-watch list?

LA Park vs. El Mesias vs. Canek - Rey de Reyes 2013 Finals.

I liked this one a little less on re-watch, but I think that's simply due to the nature of the crazy cool bumping towards the end. The whole finishing stretch is this series of NASTY looking spills & falls, which come across as HIGHLY exciting upon first glance. But when you're watching it again & again, you fully expect 'em. You know they're coming. And so the anticipation is there, but the enjoyment is naturally dialed down a bit.

Ahh well. It's still fun as hell as a match. Starts off pretty slow, aside from LA Park hitting his awesome Snap Powerslam. Man oh man, I tell ya... that Snap Powerslam of LA Park is slicker than owl **** and cooler than penguin ****. To this day, I still pop for the suddenness of the way he DRILLS a guy into the canvas and INSTANTLY winds up with the arms seized and trapped for the pin. It's just a case of a guy mastering ONE specific piece of offense and really making it his own.

Things pick up though after Canek's elimination. Not a whole lot to say leading up to that point. I always enjoy the story behind a guy sacrificing a loss for the sake of preserving his identity & the way it puts over the mask. But yeah. Just poor execution with the way it came about on THIS particular occasion.

From there, LA Park and Mesias rev it up into another gear. They SLAM into each other off a dual Flying Cross Body Block spot. There's a MANIACAL dive to the outside from Mesias, slightly mirroring Taker's dive onto Shawn from Mania a few years back - in which Mesias nearly lands DIRECTLY on his bean. Christ.

Much as I love the guy, Park sort of botches a Back Stabber attempt on Mesias, but it's ALMOST more effective with the ugly landing. Just seems like an authentic ambush in this capacity, and Mesias' neck is cranked a little more on the whiplash. Park makes up for it in short order though - busting out a bad ass Spinning Wheel Kick from the top rope.

Once things reach that go-home stretch, we hit overdrive with some crazy cool stuff crammed in for good measure. Mesias doles out a Lung Blower from the top, but Park is pulled STRAIGHT DOWN to the point where it's more like a Piledriver bump. Guy goes vertical like an exclamation point.

Later, Mesias tries for something else off the top, Park does the usual routine of sticking his feet straight up to counter, and Mesias goes above & beyond the call of duty by CHOMPING DOWN on the leather. I'm telling you. Both of Park's boots end up BURIED in Mesias' ugly kisser on that one.

It's deja vu, as they're back up top AGAIN eventually... and Mesias yanks Park down for a Flat Liner. Park goes for the oversell and flips into it, much like the Flux Capacitor thing Kazarian used in TNA. In the end, it makes for a sensational crash landing & gives Park reason to sell his knee and leg, of all things.

So yeah. Park cringes and clenches like he's got a blown knee. The best part is - WHILE he's selling and sloooowly crawling from the center of the ring in agony, Mesias heads up top and comes CRASHING down with a Superfly Splash. And that's all she wrote, folks. Just a tremendous train-wreck towards the end, with big bombs giving way to bigger bombs, until we reach the grand finale. It's hardly the best Park OR Mesias from recent years, but it's a lot of fun anyhow.

Kota Ibushi vs. Low-Ki from King of Pro Wrestling 2012.

It's for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship, and it's a damn good one. There's a sick kick exchange to open things up, but that barely scratches the surface of the whippin' these two put on each other. Piston-like palm strikes. Vicious uppercuts. And yeah. A whirlwind of kicks that leave both guys laced with whelps and broken blood vessels.

Insanity ensues when Ibushi sprints across the entire ring and busts out this INCREDIBLE twisting dive, literally leaping and launching himself over the corner ring post. It's a visual that never gets old to me, no matter how many times I see it done. Kota's got springs in his feet, which he further displays with stuff like the Standing Shooting Star Press straight off the mat.

For all the criticism and controversy, Ki is goes total FedEx in the ring. Dude DELIVERS. I still lose my **** when he can create new ways to just spontaneously mash his opponents with a Mushroom Stomp. Good stuff, for sure.

Ibushi gets caught up in the corner, but he tries to stay in the fight with some snug, rapid-fire jackrabbit kicks. Ki corners his prey anyhow and sets up for the finish. Unfortunately, slippery ropes means the top rope spot is botched a good three or four times. Takes WAY longer than it should to get into position, and so the momentum is kind of SWEPT right out from under 'em. The action itself was still intense as hell preceding it, and the actual Cradle Buster finisher from the top is tremendous. Just took far too long to arrive there with the screwy finish. Doesn't cripple the overall match by any means though.

Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs. Hirooki Goto from the same show.

I remember REALLY digging this match, so yeah. I went ahead and scoped it out while I was looking back at the Ibushi bout. And wow. It still holds up just fine by me. These two guys bring it with a heightened sense of urgency, enthusiasm, and energy in all their actions. Every ounce of effort seems to pack a little extra aggression in it.

The match itself is just a story of both guys basically trying their damn best to SAW EACH OTHER APART with knees, rib breakers, back breakers, lariats, and stomach crushers. But ya don't need much more than that. It's physical. It's fluid. And it's a nonstop, back-and-forth, beat-em-up battle to the finish.

Nakamura is as captivating and engaging as ever, but I specifically love his selling in this one. He lets his limbs go limp and just lets himself get thrown around like a friggin' ragdoll at times. It's reckless bumping without crossing the line into sloppy or careless bumping. Just tremendous.

SomethingSavage
Member # 49196

Just watched Ric Flair bust open Bray Wyatt...

http://cms.springboa...stlezone.com/10

Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arnold_OldSchool     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/superbrawl-6/#.U8UeS7Em-So

Hulk Hogan attempts to topple the Giant in a Steel cage DEATH match, Macho Man defends the World title against the Nature Boy, Luger and Sting brawl with the Road Warriors, Johnny B Badd settles the score with DDP, Brian Pillman finally goes off the deep end, The Nasty Boyz and Public Enemy turn the arena into a war zone and Konnan has a dreadful encounter with the One Man Gang!

Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/summerslam-fever-1990/#.U8fW1bEm-So

Hacksaw Duggan tries to soften up Earthquake for the Hulkster, Mr.Perfect and Ronnie Garvin stiff the **** out of each other, Demolition try and prevent a Hart Attack, plus Kerry Von Erich, The Warlord, Jake Roberts, Power and Glory and The Orient Express are all in action!

jtx
Member # 53113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jtx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always really liked the Perfect/Garvin matches. That one was a nice surprise since I had figured Garvin was long gone by that point and they gave him a lot in the match.

Watched Heatwave 1998 on the network.

Wasn't the blow-away awesome show I remember it as being. But still an excellent show. It also seemed like a very lean and focused effort in comparison to a lot of ECW I've revisited.

The tag title match wasn't as great as I thought it was at the time. Felt like it could of used a house show run to iron things out better. On the other hand, the main event was much more fun than I remembered. The whole Dudley clan is just ridiculous with their intros. I've always loved big bloated factions. The real surprise in the match was Big D Dudley. He was pretty great in his role in this and looked like a guy who could've gone on to bigger things. Don't ever recall being terribly impressed with him at all.

The one thing that drove me crazy was them selling Dreamer getting revenge for Beulah only to have him come out for the match and drink beer with the fans. Not exactly the actions of hate filled revenge.

SomethingSavage
Member # 49196

I have been revisiting a truckload of the shows from the SmackDown! Six era, just to see HOW good those matches were in the context of that specific time. I've done a little jumping around here & there, and I came across a random six-man tag that I don't remember happening at all. So I scoped it out. Nothing extraordinary, but it wasn't bad.

Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit, & Eddie Guerrero vs. Edge, Rey Mysterio, & John Cena is the match. It's just a six-man tag that was booked on SmackDown, a week or so prior to that year's SummerSlam event. Benoit was holding the IC Title at the time. Eddie was just starting to venture into a vendetta with Edge. Rey and Kurt were gearing up for their show-stealing opener. And Cena's the green guy on the block, still donning the bright neon spandex as his ring gear.

The action itself is about what you'd expect, and I'm honestly only mentioning the match for the finish. Kurt clears the rings with slams and suplexes and other assorted bombs. Whenever Cena or Edge (I can't recall which) rolls out to the floor in anguish, Kurt drops to his knees for his always awesome, over-the-top exaggerated Olympic-sized celebration. Kurt waddles over near the ropes - still on his knees - and shouts insults at his fallen foes. And then...

As soon as Kurt reaches the ropes, Rey springs into action with incredible speed and BLASTS Angle in the chompers with the 619. It's swift. It's unexpected. And it legitimately looks like it could catch a guy off-guard. THAT is the right way to pull off the 619, without insulting anyone's intelligence. Without telegraphing a spot. Without making someone look like a total goof. Without stretching disbelief a tad too far.

So yeah. In this case, at least IN THIS MATCH, it was done right. It makes me wonder how long this went on far with Rey's WWE booking, and if it lasted more than a month. I'm interested in finding out, since even the Chavo debut match saw Rey hit the 619 from the corner - with Chavito slumped face-down against a turnbuckle pad. In this light at least, it's easy to make a case for the maneuver feeling fresh & seeming innovative at first.

[ 07-19-2014, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: SomethingSavage ]

Dan Cerq TEXAS
Member # 5075

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Cerq TEXAS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buddy Rose and Dynamite Kid vs Billy Jack and Curt Hennig from Portland. Great stuff.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now in Oklahoma City!

SomethingSavage
Member # 49196

I'm going to take a look at late 70's and early 80's Portland sometime this Fall. Planning to watch AT LEAST everything that I can find with Piper, Martel, Adonis, and (of course) Rose. I must admit though, I'm curious to see how well Rip Rogers was performing during his time there also.

Meantime? Went back and watched the "Stunning" Steve Austin vs. "Gentleman" Chris Adams feud in its entirety. Tons of fun stuff to absorb there, and I'd honestly forgotten about a lot of it - so it came across fresh enough to feel new again.

Good stuff galore in terms of in-ring action. Austin is green, but he NEVER appears sloppy. There's a sense of inexperience to some of his movements & mannerisms, but the guy clearly grasped what it took to get something over & what it meant to put something over.

Both men bring the physicality. There's a rough, rugged feel to things. The entire series of matches is hinged on intensity & tension. There's a real "grudge fight" feel to almost everything in their program, even at a time when a lot of pro wrestling had gone REALLY hokey. But nah. This feud is fueled with the right kind of stuff. It just screams SOUTHERN FRIED FIYAHHH.

I dig the little details in most things. And, in terms of the smaller scale stuff, I absolutely enjoy some of the stuff Adams does on offense. The European forearms in the corner, rather than the traditional ten punch at the turnbuckle, is just a neat spin on a crowd-pleasing routine. The Superkicks he busts out to various areas of the body is another favorite. Oh, and the leg-sweep via swift kick behind the knee. Always liked that.

The ferocity isn't limited to the men though. The real motivation for the rivalry BEGAN with the women, so it's only fitting that they feel totally involved at every level throughout. And that they are. Tori Adams is one mad minx - ripping, clawing, and tearing at "Mean" Jeannie at every available twist & turn. These ladies aren't just wielding perfume, loaded purses, or high-heeled boots either. They're cracking kendo sticks on flesh & bone, folks. It's vixen violence cranked up to a new notch for the time.

The Barbed Wire Match between Austin & Adams is especially awesome. There's no insane bumps. There's no extraordinary, historic moment. But it's a shining example of what CAN and mostly SHOULD be done to sell this kind of stipulation as significant. They put over the dangerous aspect of the barbed wire and SERIOUSLY drive home the severity of the damage that CAN be done. Doesn't necessarily HAVE to be all gore and bloodshed. Just Austin getting nicked and sliced as he tries to escape with his hide intact is incredibly entertaining. There are a few teaser spots, with the rivals trying desperately to maim and scar one another, and that's enough.

Not that I'm knocking the niche market of death matches or anything, because they certainly have a time & place where they fit in and are found to be genuinely fun. But for this match & this feud, the execution of THIS particular Barbed Wire Match worked extremely well for me.

CJA
Member # 31048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pro Wrestling this week episodes from '87/'88 in order. Very fun show. I wish the show would have come along a few years earlier and lasted a few years longer.
SomethingSavage
Member # 49196

I love JCP in '84. Slater aiming to "tayke it all. I'ma GIT IT AHLLLL" is great. The Flair face run feels fresh. Wahoo's stuff is all tremendous. And, say what you will about the feud dragging on like a dying dog that just won't be put down, but the beginning phase of the Jimmy Valiant and Paul Jones grudge is amazing. The Assassins are outstanding in their roles, but the Boogie Woogie Man takes his interviews to a whole other level.

Jimmy can be entertaining & humorous here and there, but Valiant's early promos in the program are full of **** & vinegar. Guy's spewing venom. It's southern fried FIYAHHH, and it's a shining example of how to suck people into a situation. It's a template that SHOULD be taken and applied to a lot of today's stuff. In fact, Dean Ambrose is educating people on precisely the same thing right now. And he's reaping the benefits of it by getting more over than (I believe) he was ever expected to, initially.

Everything about the kickoff of that rivalry is what I love about southern 'rasslin from the time. It's a professional issue - inside the squared circle - that heats up and QUICKLY becomes a personal issue. Valiant puts over the importance of something as silly as HIS FREAKING FACIAL HAIR, of all things - with a touching little story about his son. And from there, they're off to the races. It's a race that people were begging to end by the finish, unfortunately. But yeah. Still EXTREMELY neat in the beginning.

ANYWAY...

Just watched the Extreme Rules 8-Man Tornado Tag Match that pit the New Breed versus the ECW Originals is a crazy kind of fun. It's nonstop weapon shots & daring dives from bell to bell.

Dreamer busts out a couple of neat spots, including the slick simultaneous DDT/Neck Breaker combo. He also bursts Matt Striker's "kidneys like water balloons" with a crunching Spine Buster onto a trash can.

Some cool stuff with Kevin Thorne, Sabu, and RVD as well. The big goth lug kisses the seat of a steel chair that Sabu HURLS through the air, which is nifty. Plus it gives Joey Styles the chance to cry out, "Pucker up, vampire." So there's that.

Monty Brown (yes) shines a bit brighter than the rest for me though. We get good stuff GALORE from the guy here. Alpha Bomb snapped off out of a Cross Body position. Spinning high angle Back Suplex onto an unfolded chair in the center of the ring. And, of course, the POOOOOUUUUUNNNCCCE-uhhh. Period.

Finish is fun, too. Elijah Burke just MOWS DOWN poor Sabu from behind with a murderous set of Shotgun Knees between the shoulder blades, and Sheiky Nephew takes a face-first plunge through a table in the corner.

Particularly enjoyable as an unheralded gem that doesn't get much love. Just a series of spots strung together really, but it's absolute fun in under ten minutes if you're in the mood for that sort of stuff.

brawler2711
Member # 26849

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brawler2711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The the first three SNMEs, watching Steele and Volkoff try to avoid taking a normal bump when Steamboat hiptossed them was comical.

--------------------
Sir Tojo: "I used Brut in the late '60's-early '70's. Used to splash it all over my crotch area after a shower--no joke.I used to get some funny reactions to that back in my early 20's. Fond memories."

SomethingSavage
Member # 49196

Really random, but I just watched D-Generation X vs. Kai En Tai in an 8-Man Tag Team Match from September '98. Just an incredibly fun sprint of a multi-man scramble. DX is white hot & in full "too cool" babyface mode here. But Kai En Tai are extraordinarily entertaining as the prickly little pests.

The action itself isn't outstanding or anything, but it keeps a rapid fire pace & things are never allowed to drop off from bell to bell. It's nonstop movement and maneuvers, with Kai En Tai getting in some great gang-up offense. Road Dogg plays face in peril for a bit, with Club Kamikaze pouring on the punishment & swarming him with a rifling round of dropkicks, elbows, and splashes. Good stuff.

Finish is fun. Taka's double-pressed into the air by the Outlaws, and Pac DRIVES him down with a face-flattening X-Factor. Following that, we get a neat visual as Chyna towers over the noticeably smaller Yamaguchi-San. Mr. Yama mouths off, and Chyna swats him away with a single forearm shot that sends him SAILING off the apron in true pro wrestling fashion.

Oh. And there's some crowd interaction after the bout, which serves as a fine "telling" sign of the times. There's a chick in the crowd, clad in skintight leather pants with the letters, "D" and "X" across her ass-cheeks. Hunter motions for her to either peel off her top or her pants, and of course - being the Attitude Era and all - she complies. You can only imagine Lawler's exuberance & excitement.

Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/monday-night-wars-week-24-and-25-february-12th-and-19th-1996/#.U8_RwFemU1I
Arn Anderson shocks Hulk Hogan 2 weeks in a row, Brian Pillman goes crazy in ECW, Loch Ness squashes cruiserweights, Macho Man battles The Nature Boy AGAIN, Razor Ramon clashes with Goldust and Diesel destroys the Undertaker's sanctuary

Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/in-your-house-rage-in-a-cage/#.U9E0C1emU1J

AKA IYH: Foregone conclusion... See The Undertaker avenge Big Daddy Cool's interference in his recent battles with World Champion (afterthought) Bret Hart... Shawn Micheals steals the show with Owen Hart in a clash to decide who headlines Wrestlemania...Yokozuna tries to avoid a heart attack while chasing the British Bulldog down...HHH is reduced to fighting a Garbage Man...Razor and The Kid battle for the rights to cosplay as an infant...all on the Road to Wrestlemania 12!

elguapo1000%
Member # 4978

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elguapo1000%     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ric Flair vs. Nikita Koloff from GAB'85. Uncut from the new WWE DVD. Prolly the best intro in the history of the biz when Flair arrives via helicopter. BTW, some crazed fan tackles Nikita. He sure was lucky Nikita didn't get a hold of him.
Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/clash-of-the-champions-xii-mountain-madnessfall-brawl-90/#.U9eiqVemU1I

The Black Scorpion angle begins and its first crescendo is hit as Sting challenges the masked man of mystery in the main event, Lex Luger and Ric Flair collide yet again, Stan Hansen destroys people, The Nasty Boyz make their first major appearance in WCW, The Steiners wreck some giant jobbers, Kevin Nash has a Botchamania worthy debut match, all this and more from the amazing booking exploits of Ole Anderson!!!

mckinneydg
Member # 48545

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mckinneydg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched SuperBrawl VIII (1998) the other night on the WWE Network. Wanted to see Hogan/Sting for the vacant title.

--------------------
South Atlanta Wrestling

brawler2711
Member # 26849

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brawler2711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched the first SNME of 1986 from Tampa the other day. The Hillbillies vs Piper, Orton and Ventura opened the show. A lot of stuff filmed at a local water park which included Savage pushing Liz into the water.

--------------------
Sir Tojo: "I used Brut in the late '60's-early '70's. Used to splash it all over my crotch area after a shower--no joke.I used to get some funny reactions to that back in my early 20's. Fond memories."

Tabe
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by elguapo1000%:
Ric Flair vs. Nikita Koloff from GAB'85. Uncut from the new WWE DVD. Prolly the best intro in the history of the biz when Flair arrives via helicopter. BTW, some crazed fan tackles Nikita. He sure was lucky Nikita didn't get a hold of him.

How was the match? This is one I've wanted to see in complete form for a long, long time.
Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/halloween-havoc-90/#.U-Nt8mP1vSg

Sting defends against the monstrous Sid Vicious, More Black Scorpion "magic", Lex Luger brawls with Stan Hansen, The Steiners brawl with The Nasty Boyz, The last hurrah of the Rock and Roll Express/Midnight Express feud, and Ric Flair and Arn Anderson challenge DOOM,

brawler2711
Member # 26849

quote:
Originally posted by Arnold_OldSchool:

Sting defends against the monstrous Sid Vicious, More Black Scorpion "magic", Lex Luger brawls with Stan Hansen, The Steiners brawl with The Nasty Boyz, The last hurrah of the Rock and Roll Express/Midnight Express feud, and Ric Flair and Arn Anderson challenge DOOM,

Decent match left off the WWE Network version.

--------------------

Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/monday-night-wars-week-26-and-27-february-26th-and-march-5th-1996/#.U-c4SGP1vSh

Jake the Snake returns to WWF TV for the first time in four years, Hall and Nash decide to leave the WWF, A 6 man brawl helps to set up Uncensored, Shawn and The 123 Kid steal the show, Bret Hart battles HHH, and Goldust ups his creeper factor!

Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/summerslam-spectacular-199192-and-93/#.U-y8tWP1vSg

I cover the USA specials that helped promote that year's Summerslam PPV. Matches include Bret Hart vs. The Barbarian, Hulk Hogan vs. Sgt. Slaughter, Perhaps the best Tito Santana match of the 90's (vs. Ric Flair), Warrior and Macho Man vs. The Nasty Boyz, Hacksaw Duggan vs. Yokozuna, and a Steel Cage battle between The Steiner Brothers vs. Money Inc. and MUCH more!!

tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamalie from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by brawler2711:
quote:

I can think of many words to describe that match, but "decent" would not be one of them.
Tatsuya
Member # 80195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tatsuya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched the "Soul of Wrestling" episode of Legends of Wrestling.

Didn't know Atlas was a state wrestling champion in VA. Although I find it hard to believe Atlas had amateur wrestling skills, it was Ross who said it and JR does have a bit of credibility.

I thought Teddy Long came across well. Seemed honest and even called out Ole for being a racist and Thunderbolt Patterson for being an unpleasant person.

Best part was Atlas going on about how racism never affected him and Watts sort of gently interrupting him and basically calling him naive

Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/clash-of-the-champions-13-thanksgiving-thunder-90/#.U_8ut2PFMg8

One of the worst cards ever put together...Hosses debut left and right, squash matches everywhere! Plus racist babyfaces, A BATTLE AX is used as a foreign object, magic tricks in the World title angle, and Ric Flair headlines to try and save the show.....

Mr. Iron Anderson
Member # 26852

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Iron Anderson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Southeastern stuff mostly.

I watched it in real time but I'm revisiting Georgia TV but it's frustrating because it just makes me bitter that there's no Atlanta/Houseshow footage. I revisit results and end up angry.

[ 08-28-2014, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: Mr. Iron Anderson ]

Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/the-monday-night-wars-week-28-march-11th-1996/#.VAB2Y2PFMg8 Austin becomes Stone Cold, Mark Henry makes his first appearance, Piper and Goldust get frisky, The Dungeon of Doom's big men implode, The Steiner Bros. return and challenge the Road Warriors and a 6 man donnybrook sets up Uncensored
Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/the-monday-night-wars-week-week-29-march-18th-1996/#.VAh2LRbFMg8

Uncensored and Wrestlemania are on the horizon as we get more Bret bitterness, a dead Diesel, Lex Luger vs. Loch Ness, The Mega Powers vs. Flair and friends AGAIN and a Wrestlecrap finish.

Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/starrcade-90-collision-course/#.VBDyKxaGf_l

The Steiners battle 7 teams for the honor of being "tag team of the Universe", The Black Scorpion is revealed, DOOM and the Horsemen beat the tar out of each other, Stan Hansen battles Lex Luger and more!

Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/wcw-uncensored-1996/#.VBMx2RaGf_k

A PPV headlined by a match that is on the short list for most infamous of all time as the MegaPowers battle EIGHT men in a triple tiered DOOMSDAY Cage match, The Road Warriors battle Sting and Booker T, LOCH NESS vs. The Giant, Fit Finlay and Steve Regal beat the tar out of each other, man on woman violence and more!

The Outlaw J.D. McKay (better?,,,)
Member # 166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Outlaw J.D. McKay (better?,,,)   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tamalie from MN:
quote:
quote:

I can think of many words to describe that match, but "decent" would not be one of them.
Who is the referee in this match?

--------------------
"Marriage is the one normal thing that Flair tries to do, but he sucks at it" - Nickla Roberts, in a SLAM Wrestling article. I add, "He ain't alone."

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1481967783&ref=tn_tnmn

Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/clash-of-the-champions-14-dixie-dynamite/#.VBgsiRaGcg8

Scott Steiner gets his first crack at singles super stardom when he battles World Champion Ric Flair, DOOM defends against Lex Luger and Sting, plus Zenk vs. Eaton, Terry Taylor turns to the darkside while clashing with Ricky Morton, Paul Heyman and Missy Hyatt arm wrestle...and quite frankly a bunch of other ****...

Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

http://culturecrossfire.com/ wrestling/monday-night-wars-week-30-march-26th-1996/#.VCGnTxaGcg8

A highly entertaining "Go home" show to Wrestlemania sees Bret and Shawn share crass words, and all the other top Mania matches get a final sprinkle of anticipation building zest - Nitro counters with 3 title matches culminating with The Giant vs. Ric Flair!!!

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/wwe/wrestlemania-12/#.VCQpVRaGcg8

Wrestlemania 12!!! Shawn and Bret clash for an hour, The Warrior returns, Piper tries to prove he's still the king of Hollywood, Hosses clash in a 6 man and more!!

Wrestling Culture
Member # 120000

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wrestling Culture     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

These were two of Bill Watts' biggest stars ever, working for Wince. Who can forget Rex headlining the Superdome drawing 60,000 against The Snowman with Perez & Cooley versus Tatum & Victory plus Watts versus Korchenko as the semi-mains? I mean, I sure didn't forget. I'm convinced to this day Mid-South went down the tubes because Watts didn't pay Rex enuff & he jumped back to the WWF, where he would go on to superduper fame as the original Ultimate Warrior until he was fired & Bill Darsow took his place in the Ultimate Warriors tag team with Crunchy.
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations