WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » OT: Two Thousand Thirteen or Twenty Thirteen?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OT: Two Thousand Thirteen or Twenty Thirteen?
Richard Berger 1A
Member # 2385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard Berger 1A   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is apparently becoming an issue in some quarters. So, which do you prefer when designating the current year?

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/hendrikhertzberg/2013/01/twenty-something.html

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 41 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote Now     View Poll Results

--------------------
"Jews communicate by mutually agreed interruption" - Simon Schama, author of 'The Story of the Jews'.

"Grammar: It's the rules what makes your mouth feel dumb" - Jon Stewart, The Daily Show, Oct. 24, 2013

IP: Logged
El Dirko
Member # 6252

Icon 1 posted      Profile for El Dirko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ten Sixty-Six, Twenty Thirteen.

Best wishes,
Dirk

--------------------
"It is almost impossible for anyone to be totally wrong about everything." (Ken Wilber)

Happ Hazzard
Member # 4893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Happ Hazzard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say Two Thousand and Thirteen.

--------------------
"I play a planet. I menace somebody called Something-or-other. Then I'm destroyed. My plan to destroy Whoever-it-is is thwarted and I tear myself apart on the screen."
Orson Welles on "Transformers: the Movie"

chgowolvs44
Member # 2267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chgowolvs44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both. But since that wasn't an option, I clicked Twenty Thirteen.

--------------------
"A spokesman for the NYPD said the police were exercising their right to defend themselves from charging protesters who...were armed with dangerous ideas" Keith Olbermann RE:NYPD over reaction to OWS protests

Slasher
Member # 26328

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Slasher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two thousand thirteen. It's not even up for debate. Saying "twenty thirteen" is actually conceptually incorrect. You don't say "I have twenty thirteen dollars." You either say "I have two thousand and thirteen dollars" or "twenty hundred thirteen", same applies here.
Happ Hazzard
Member # 4893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Happ Hazzard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People never said "One thousand nine hundred and thirty nine" though when asked when WW2 started.

--------------------
"I play a planet. I menace somebody called Something-or-other. Then I'm destroyed. My plan to destroy Whoever-it-is is thwarted and I tear myself apart on the screen."
Orson Welles on "Transformers: the Movie"

Richard Berger 1A
Member # 2385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard Berger 1A   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Slasher:
Two thousand thirteen. It's not even up for debate. Saying "twenty thirteen" is actually conceptually incorrect. You don't say "I have twenty thirteen dollars." You either say "I have two thousand and thirteen dollars" or "twenty hundred thirteen", same applies here.

Your reasoning is understandable, Slasher. However, I've placed myself squarely on the other side, for much the same reason as noted in the linked article.

I believe that using terminology for monetary denominations doesn't apply in this case. If you consider the last century alone, it was nineteen hundred through nineteen ninety nine. At no time was society-at-large saying one thousand nine hundred through one thousand nine hundred ninety nine.

The variation only became necessary in the year two thousand, again for the same reason stated in the column. Saying twenty hundred is awkward, which is the way it remained through two thousand nine (as opposed to saying twenty and nine). However, with the arrival of 2010 (twenty ten), it all flowed seamlessly once again and was no longer unwieldy.

Therefore, I came to the conclusion in 2010 to once again use the system that had been in place for hundreds upon hundreds of years, which to me is far preferable. The 10-year deviation was no more than a modification that was necessary for a decade. IMO, it no longer applies.

I'm ready to go to the mat on this. [Smile]

[ 10-04-2013, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: Richard Berger 1A ]

--------------------
"Jews communicate by mutually agreed interruption" - Simon Schama, author of 'The Story of the Jews'.

"Grammar: It's the rules what makes your mouth feel dumb" - Jon Stewart, The Daily Show, Oct. 24, 2013

Slasher
Member # 26328

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Slasher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not necessary to go to the mat on this. Happ and you make a good point. I never said "one thousand nine hundred ninety nine" for 1999, so obviously this is where the quirk of the language takes hold. I still do say "two thousand thirteen", but if I live to the year 2100's, that will change... probably.
Blind Guy
Member # 40601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind Guy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Happ Hazzard:
People never said "One thousand nine hundred and thirty nine" though when asked when WW2 started.

Some apparently said "back in nineteen-hundred and thirty-nine".

Mostly, old farts in rocking chairs. And some folks on this here internet doo-hickey, son.

It sounds really quaint when it's a year like "nineteen-hundred, ought-four, back when Hackenschmidt went to the Olympics".

--------------------
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours." -
Richard Bach

Richard Berger 1A
Member # 2385

quote:
Originally posted by Blind Guy:
Some apparently said "back in nineteen-hundred and thirty-nine".

I'd venture things like that can be categorized as a variation on the theme. Colloquial, really.
quote:
Mostly, old farts in rocking chairs. And some folks on this here internet doo-hickey, son.

Hey, hey. No need to get personal here. [Wink]
quote:
It sounds really quaint when it's a year like "nineteen-hundred, ought-four, back when Hackenschmidt went to the Olympics".

Actually, it's nineteen hundred aught four. 'Aught' is a legitimate word meaning 'zero'.

[ 10-05-2013, 03:16 AM: Message edited by: Richard Berger 1A ]

--------------------

Infamous
Member # 10021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Infamous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Four score and seven years ago'
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Twenty thirteen'. Same as, you know, every other century, unless you actually do run around saying 'one thousand nine hundred... ' I know of nobody who does.

(Another archaic locution you see in old books and such is for example 'nineteen and thirty-nine'.)

So long from the Sunshine State!

--------------------
Anybody who says 'I'm here to solve problems, not create them' is about to create a problem.

Richard Berger 1A
Member # 2385

BTW, I think we'll use the results as of 12 a.m. PDT Sunday/Monday as final. After that time, anyone using the term improperly as voted by the WCMB membership will have to answer to the powers-that-be for committing gross insubordination.

It's highly recommended to get your vote in prior to closing.

[ 10-05-2013, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: Richard Berger 1A ]

--------------------

scizott792
Member # 5330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scizott792     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And now by request, here's Zager & Evans with "In The Year Two Thousand Five Hundred Twenty-five"

--------------------
"Now, my father cared about Country Joe and The Fish as much you probably do about sado-masochism." -Smith Hart to scizott792, Amsterdam NY 6/5/10

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a waltz.

--------------------
Anybody who says 'I'm here to solve problems, not create them' is about to create a problem.

obsmoke1
Member # 9205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for obsmoke1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regardless of how the vote goes (and it is clearly not going my way), I will continue to say "two-thousand thirteen." That is definitely preferable to me....

--------------------
"Can't do it, Sallie..." Tom Hagen

Blind Guy
Member # 40601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind Guy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geez my vocabulary is goind downhill. AUGHT!

Used to know that. Musta been thinking of "nought". How do the Mayans handle this, by the by? Or do I mean "by the bye"?

Other than ending the whole freaking world, that is.

Oh, and the "old farts in rocking chairs" was not directed at anyone, esp. the OP. You tipped your age recently and it was FAR less than I'd guess. FAR FAR less.

--------------------
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours." -
Richard Bach

MissingLenk
Member # 2457

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissingLenk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who knows. I say both.

I still have a problem understanding how much cars cost because how marketing works these days. If a car cost $25,250 - the commercial would say the car costs "twenty five, two fifty". Must be too much when someone says "thousand" or something. [Roll Eyes]

Hitman's Shades
Member # 7782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hitman's Shades     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say both.

Two-thousand blah blah has less syllables than Nine-teen-hundred blah blah and thus is easier to say.

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask from FL:
It's a waltz.

(musician humor, like why you gotta know 'Strangers in the Night' in 5/4 for Italian weddings))

--------------------

Moondog from WA
Member # 182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moondog from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moondog from WA
Member # 182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moondog from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask from FL:
'Twenty thirteen'. Same as, you know, every other century, unless you actually do run around saying 'one thousand nine hundred... ' I know of nobody who does.

(Another archaic locution you see in old books and such is for example 'nineteen and thirty-nine'.)

So long from the Sunshine State!

I was taught to never say AND when referring to a number.
Richard Berger 1A
Member # 2385

quote:
Originally posted by Moondog from WA:
I was taught to never say AND when referring to a number.

Same here.

Less than two hours to closing.

[ 10-06-2013, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: Richard Berger 1A ]

--------------------

Richard Berger 1A
Member # 2385

As of 12 midnight, the official results are:

Two Thousand Thirteen ... 29% (10)

Twenty Thirteen ................ 71% (24)

Since the question has now been resolved by a large majority of bipartisan fair-minded wrestling fans, everyone must now put down their weapons, join together and shout out the year in one loud, unified voice: 2013!

Thanks for participating, guys.

--------------------

El Dirko
Member # 6252

Icon 1 posted      Profile for El Dirko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Berger 1A:
As of 12 midnight, the official results are:

Two Thousand Thirteen ... 29% (10)

Twenty Thirteen ................ 71% (24)

Since the question has now been resolved by a large majority of bipartisan fair-minded wrestling fans, everyone must now put down their weapons, join together and shout out the year in one loud, unified voice: 2013!

Thanks for participating, guys.

So, are the winners allowed to gloat now?

Best wishes,
Dirk

--------------------
"It is almost impossible for anyone to be totally wrong about everything." (Ken Wilber)

Richard Berger 1A
Member # 2385

quote:
Originally posted by El Dirko:
So, are the winners allowed to gloat now?

At their own risk. The OP assumes no responsibility for any negative repercussions caused by an unfortunate gloat.

--------------------

tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamalie from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say twenty-thirteen. I also say twenty-o'six for 2006 and so on.
Blonde Adonis from Hamilton
Member # 32332

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blonde Adonis from Hamilton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two Thousand Thirteen.No And.
Or One Thousand And One Thousand And The Number Before Fourteen,that just rolls off the tongue.

--------------------
Wrestling Clips ETC.
http://cdre.webs.com/

Mr. A
Member # 39

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Blind Guy:
Geez my vocabulary is goind downhill. AUGHT!

Used to know that. Musta been thinking of "nought". How do the Mayans handle this, by the by? Or do I mean "by the bye"?

Other than ending the whole freaking world, that is.

Oh, and the "old farts in rocking chairs" was not directed at anyone, esp. the OP. You tipped your age recently and it was FAR less than I'd guess. FAR FAR less.

Here's some fascinating English stuff!! While "aught" is acceptable to use in numbering, such as nineteen aught two...or in rifle calibers such as thirty aught six (.30-06), "aught" actually means "everything". "Naught" is actually the proper term for "nothing". Such as when Jethro decided he was going to become a "double naught spy" just like 007 James Bond. Jethro was a panic.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations